• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Community Thread: Timelines, Retreads and Colors Oh My

Boney

Banned
DoomXploder7 said:
The better to see you with.
she was explaining the ar cards to pit or something, then she put these on for some reason, idk mang.
so pauli is a nerd?

kinda hot

Andrex said:
I think it's absurd. There's quite clearly a mainline series with a strong canon, and spinoffs with at best, a weak canon, or no canon. You're trying to shoehorn everything Zelda together, which is not what the developers intend.
Isn't it? This is Zelda. Just because something is utterly preposterous doesn't mean it never happened.

Mistle said:
This isn't exactly new but deserves to be reposted in the community thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-4u5L4um0c

So awesome.

Now I like Ocarina of Time even more. : P

Awesome video.

Anth0ny said:
So I was digging through some old CDs, and GOD DAMN LISTEN TO THIS.

If they could top that with the orchestrated music in Skyward Sword... that would be real nice.

That arrangement gives me chills. Glory be to Nintendo Power for giving out the full concert on CD years back.

Big One

Banned
Tathanen said:
Because OOT is the Imprisoning War.

This is really the crux of everything for me. OOT is the origin of one Ganondorf. FSA is the origin of another. FSA Ganon can't be LTTP Ganon because LTTP Ganon is OOT Ganon.

I've made my argument for why I believe OOT is the Imprisoning War several times in this thread already, I won't repeat it. Things like the Trident and "a Hyrule that looks sort of like LTTP" in FSA are homages, not implications. For every thing you can identify in FSA that is "just like LTTP," there is another that makes it nothing like LTTP whatsoever. And those carry more weight.
Ah so the truth has been revealed. The fact of the matter is that no matter how much you insist that FSA being a prequel to ALttP is fanfiction, you resort to fanfiction yourself. Saying there are three split timelines is a downright falsity, not a theory. The split timeline does not exist because it's necessary, it exist because the Ocarina of Time created it when Zelda sent Link back to his child form at the end of OoT. Till you understand this, you simply won't see why the thought of multiple timelibes outside of the main two is ridiculous and resorys to more fanfiction than any theory.

Anth0ny

Octorockin' said:
That arrangement gives me chills. Glory be to Nintendo Power for giving out the full concert on CD years back.

Honestly. They don't give away SHIT in that magazine. Yet they gave that away. A full orchestration of the Super Smash Bros Melee soundtrack. I would have paid good money for that CD, and I got it for free =)

Octorockin' said:
I just came across my copy a month or two ago, and I was blown away. I couldn't believe I hadn't kept it somewhere easier to find, but I fixed that. Love the cd.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Big One said:
Ah so the truth has been revealed. The fact of the matter is that no matter how much you insist that FSA being a prequel to ALttP is fanfiction, you resort to fanfiction yourself. Saying there are three split timelines is a downright falsity, not a theory. The split timeline does not exist because it's necessary, it exist because the Ocarina of Time created it when Zelda sent Link back to his child form at the end of OoT. Till you understand this, you simply won't see why the thought of multiple timelibes outside of the main two is ridiculous and resorys to more fanfiction than any theory.

Please do not talk to me like I am some neophyte who is new to timeline theory, you have not told me a single thing with which I am not intimately familiar. Also no "truth has been revealed," I've been saying this for my entire time in this thread. I guess you only now started reading.

I am not suggesting another split timeline, please get your terminology straight. I am suggesting another canon. The timeline is an in-universe distinction. It exists because the events of the games say it exists. It is the story of the Zelda universe, as it was written.

My suggestion of a separate canon is based on video game development. It is based on a view of the Zelda Universe as not existing in a vacuum, of not being a series of historical events that happened as they were written.

Ocarina of time was incontestably the father of all modern Zelda games. The lexicon, the races, every game released since has featured what OOT pioneered, regardless of its placement in any timeline. When Nintendo develops games, they start with "the game," and add the plot later. OOT did not start as the Imprisoning War, it didn't start as ANYTHING. So when it came time to insert the story, changes had to be made to it. You'll notice, every game released since OOT that refers to a backstory not covered in another game is careful to include a hero in it (or at least reference a hero's absence). I'd imagine this is just in case they feel like turning a backstory into a game, they have a space for Link in it. LTTP's backstory was the sole outlier, where they thought it would be nice to make a game about it, but oops there was no mention of Link. So Link was inserted. The story was changed around a little, but its core was kept. Ganondorf invades Sacred Realm, obtains Triforce, is eventually sealed after a long struggle in the Sacred Realm itself.

I can deal with the changes OOT made to the Imprisoning War. Yeah, the races are inconsistent, but I get why they did it, and the core was left intact. LTTP, in order to function, needed a story where Ganondorf invaded the Sacred Realm, and was sealed in it. Wind Waker is another story. Wind Waker was written as a direct sequel to OOT, but it discards the LTTP connection utterly. No amount of fanfiction made it feasible for LTTP to happen between OOT and WW, nor could WW be inserted between OOT and LTTP. There were irreconcilable differences. This wasn't "the races changed" or "the Master Sword was used in a different way." This was "LTTP literally can't happen any more." The event that made it possible was annihilated.

Right then and there, we had two canons. This wasn't some decision I made, this wasn't some extrapolation, this was Nintendo literally erasing LTTP (and Zelda 2's backstory, arguably) from existence via the events of WW. I've always been of the opinion, though, that Nintendo could release another game that would tie the two canon's back together. According to you guys, FSA is that game. But as noted in my first post in this thread, the differences are just far too great. For however many aesthetic and thematic LTTP references there were, there was not a single PLOT reference. And the nature of the Dark World in that game, and the nature of Ganondorf's origins and sealing, remove it from contention as a canon-bridger entirely.

We have "old legends of Hyrule" and "new legends of Hyrule." The people who laugh at Zelda Timeline Theory laugh explicitly at the people who try to rationalize those two canons. Everything else is simple. Sure the oracles are crazy, and the Four Swords series can be tricky, but Wind Waker breaking LTTP is where the largest and most inane stretches have been made by the community in an attempt to band-aid things. But if you step back and look at these as the video games they are, as the commodities that Nintendo produces, you can realize that you don't always NEED an in-universe explanation for why something happened. Sometimes it's just because the people behind the games decided to do it.

TheCongressman1 said:
I just realized why this may be NSFW... How are those even relate? Haha.
From the director of such classics as Breastfeeding Sounds and Breastfeeding Video Clips brings you Breastfeeding Tips On Scheduling. You don't want to miss this soon to be hit! Tell your friends, your family and even people on the street.
©4breastfeeding 2008

IceDoesntHelp said:
From the director of such classics as Breastfeeding Sounds and Breastfeeding Video Clips brings you Breastfeeding Tips On Scheduling. You don't want to miss this soon to be hit! Tell your friends, your family and even people on the street.
©4breastfeeding 2008

You are guaranteed to make new friends... and enemies...

Too keep it Zelda related, here is a nice overworld theme played on the Marimba.

Tathanen, I can see that the root cause of our disagreement is what is implied by the existence of Wind Waker.

You think it means that the old fiction is now completely divorced from the new. I think it means that the old fiction simply no longer relates to the old in the way that was commonly thought.

Neither are confirmed or denied by the creators of the games. I just feel that mine has more going for it.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Tathanen, I can see that the root cause of our disagreement is what is implied by the existence of Wind Waker.

You think it means that the old fiction is now completely divorced from the new. I think it means that the old fiction simply no longer relates to the old in the way that was commonly thought.

Neither are confirmed or denied by the creators of the games. I just feel that mine has more going for it.

Like I said, I'd love for them to make that game that explains HOW those old games relate to the new ones. I wait for it like I wait for the second coming of Christ. I will cram those canon's back together so fast your head will spin. But until that fateful day, for me at least, the great divide will persist. I'm just not comfortable changing the entire nature of a game's backstory unless another game tells me to do it explicitly. And that hasn't happened yet. Maybe the mythical pre-Miyamoto-meltdown FSA would've done it, but alas, that game does not exist.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Gravijah said:
seriously, screw orchestras. just have virt come in and do this to the entire soundtrack.
Mmm, that sounds so good.

Falcom should just compose for a Zelda game one day. It isn't going to happen. The stuff in Zero no Kiseki, for example -- like Intense Chase and Formidable Enemy (the Super Arrange versions of those themes in particular), are things I wouldn't really mind in a Zelda game.

But then I think... wouldn't a Falcom soundscape clash with the Zelda atmosphere a little? I'm so used to Zelda music being composed in a sort of tone that communicates adventure or exploration, and not really fixing itself on battle music (since it doesn't seem to be a focal point of the series at all). So I dunno. I wouldn't mind rock music, but I'm not sure if that'll clash with the musical atmosphere of a Zelda title.

Mistle

154311_detail_v2.jpg

Australian release, 24th Nov. Please tell me that the ratings logo won't cover up the SS logo on the actual box ;_; ugh.

Gold cover too. I was kind of hoping for the Japan version but it was a long shot.

Jzero

Mistle said:
http://content.ebgames.com.au/website/images/detail/154311_detail_v2.jpg[/i]
Australian release, 24th Nov. Please tell me that the ratings logo won't cover up the SS logo on the actual box ;_; ugh.

Gold cover too. I was kind of hoping for the Japan version but it was a long shot.[/quote]
that's the most unnecessarily long logo i've ever seen.

On another note, i always though the music cd was going to be the Skyward Sword OST and not just random Zelda songs ;//

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Jzero15 said:
On another note, i always though the music cd was going to be the Skyward Sword OST and not just random Zelda songs ;//
Maybe... maybe they'll put the Skyward Sword OST on Club Nintendo! Or do something similar like what they did for OoT's soundtrack.

I'm setting myself up for disappointment, aren't I? ;//

Gravijah

Dark Schala said:
Maybe... maybe they'll put the Skyward Sword OST on Club Nintendo! Or do something similar like what they did for OoT's soundtrack.

I'm setting myself up for disappointment, aren't I? ;//

skyward sword scratch and sniff stickers in 2014

Mistle said:

Whoa, wait. It's rated 'Mature' in Australia? Hmm, how strict are they on that kind of thing usually?

Mistle said:
http://content.ebgames.com.au/website/images/detail/154311_detail_v2.jpg[/mg]

Gold cover too. I was kind of hoping for the Japan version but it was a long shot.[/QUOTE]
Not any worse than this

[img]http://oi51.tinypic.com/v5bf3a.jpg

Or this, lol

xn51kj.jpg

Mistle

TheCongressman1 said:
Whoa, wait. It's rated 'Mature' in Australia? Hmm, how strict are they on that kind of thing usually?
M is 15+, so it's not really that bad. It'll most likely be for "fantasy violence".

For comparison, TP was also rated M, while WW was rated G8+. Which is odd, really. The violence level is about the same.

Jzero

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Zelda would almost literally need to be banged in the game in order for a Zelda game to get an MA15+ rating.
They've already done enough by banging her hair

Gravijah said:
i just did the zelda ii game over ganon laugh irl
Fixed.

Question for any hardcore retro-Zelda nuts (do my adjectives pretty much exclude everyone here?). I'm looking to do something creative with the original Legend of Zelda story and wanted to know if the version of the story found on the following site is well-documented in Nintendo stuff, or if it's mostly just kind of cobbled together by the site designers?

http://www.zeldalegends.net/index.php?p=134

It starts off straight from the manual, but the later "chapters" don't look familiar at all. I don't see all this story in the Japanese manual I have here, either. So, is it "real" or "double-made up?"

Thanks to anyone who didn't just gloss over this post and actually responded. :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
TheCongressman1 said:

M (Mature) in Australia is the equivalent of T (Teen) in the US. We have MA (Mature Audiences) for the higher rated stuff, and soon (hopefully) R for extreeeeeeme content.

Xane said:
I concur.

It's a glorified synthesizer cover of the SNES original. Like, almost note for note. I'm all for faithfulness, but calling this "orchestrated" is misleading at best and lying at worst.

It's a great piece of Zelda musical history, though. Would love to hear an orchestral version, based on what I've heard from them so far for Skyward.

AceBandage said:
First page full of SS gifs?
First page full of SS gifs.

furious5tuh.gif
First time I've seen this, and I can't help but picture him speaking and acting like Jason Schwartzman did in Scott Pilgrim.

Lupin the Wolf said:
Fixed.

Question for any hardcore retro-Zelda nuts (do my adjectives pretty much exclude everyone here?). I'm looking to do something creative with the original Legend of Zelda story and wanted to know if the version of the story found on the following site is well-documented in Nintendo stuff, or if it's mostly just kind of cobbled together by the site designers?

http://www.zeldalegends.net/index.php?p=134

It starts off straight from the manual, but the later "chapters" don't look familiar at all. I don't see all this story in the Japanese manual I have here, either. So, is it "real" or "double-made up?"

Thanks to anyone who didn't just gloss over this post and actually responded. :)

Yeah, I remember it all, including some odd choices of adjectives, from the US manual.

Top Bottom