• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Community Thread: Timelines, Retreads and Colors Oh My

CassSept

Zelda theme on marimba is awesome.

IamMattFox said:
Yes!

I hope Link makes him swallow his gum at some point in the game.
Then for ultimate humiliation keep him chained up for seven years and only then finish Ghirahim off.

How many of you have messed around with a program called Zelda classics? It's a PC program that lets you make your own Zelda game, although the mechanics are still stuck in the first game. At least that's where it was when I touched it a few years ago.

Seda

I'll put spoiler tags just in case.

So what do people on GAF think about
the Hero of Time being one and the same with the Hero's Shade? (Skeleton Knight who teaches Twilight Princess Link)

For those who aren't familiar, perhaps...

---
At the end of Majora's Mask (Child timeline), we see Hero of Time Link go into the Lost Woods to look for Navi once again. We really don't know what happens to him. Now Link is a Hylian. One of the Kokiri in the Ocarina of Time mentions that Hylians who enter the Lost Woods without a Fairy will become a Stalfos.

Many many years later in this timeline arises the events of Twilight Princess, where a new Link gets sword training by a mysterious warrior, known as Hero's Shade. This character has a similar appearance to that of a Stalfos, suggesting that he might be a similar creature. Even his name suggest he was a 'Hero'

Hmm. Obviously just speculation and cannot be supported very well.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I think the games are not meant to be connected at all, whatever loose timeline they're concocting is just a red herring (which I'm probably incorrectly using, but whatever).

Just play and enjoy each game as its own entity.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finished the Arbiters Ground, which in retrospect might be my favourite dungeon in the entire series. It's soaked in atmosphere, has great puzzles, the Spinner is a bitchin' item, it mixes up both adult Link and wolf play, and the two bossfights (Death Sword and Stallord) are really awesome. Like most of Twilight Princess the ease works against it, but I still love it. Here's more shots than anybody asked.

z1ao8r.jpg

z2johj.jpg

z3so49.jpg

z46qt7.jpg

z5wqcd.jpg

z6eqwn.jpg

z7yrsu.jpg

z8arzu.jpg

z92qg3.jpg

z10xpep.jpg

z11nqmu.jpg

z12jr0t.jpg

z13yo36.jpg

z14vpji.jpg

z151pzd.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Princess Skittles said:
I think the games are not meant to be connected at all

So you didn't play Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, or Spirit Tracks then? And Twilight Princess to a lesser extent.

Princess Skittles said:
I think the games are not meant to be connected at all, whatever loose timeline they're concocting is just a red herring (which I'm probably incorrectly using, but whatever).

Just play and enjoy each game as its own entity.

The games can certainly be enjoyed fully on their own, but there is no question that there are clear connections between the 3D games that add to the atmosphere and story at a level that is beyond mere cameo. The opening of Wind Waker alone makes it clear that it is a priority of the more recent games in the series.

i can't decide who i hate more

the people who try to stick every game into one cohesive plot like if you study minish cap's linguistic drift you'll discover clues about population and ethnographic changes amongst games borne from hylian agricultural innovations

or the people who insist that they're never connected at all and that wind waker is a stand alone LEGEND RETOLD where link has a boat and everything from nintendo and the games themselves stating otherwise is part of some 15 year long lie because?????

Effect

I've always wondered how many levels of insane one would have to be to design dungeons the way they are designed. In mean in-game. It would be interesting if in one future Zelda they actually had you come across an architect of one of these places. Or at least have someone in the game comment on the crazy nature of these locations. I'd love to see Link enter one, have the camera pan back to show the main area and it's crazy design, and then have the camera zoom in on Link as he looks around only to face palm and shake his head. Then sigh and and walk down the steps into the area.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Andrex said:
Then how could you say that?
Because even if there are loose connections between games, they are, in the end, meaningless. They could NOT be there and it would change the games they are present in ZERO PERCENT. There will never be a plot point or reveal that ties things together in more than a fashion that obsessed fans writing fan-fiction will care about. Every Zelda game will be a stand-alone piece first and foremost. You will never need knowledge from a previous game to enjoy any aspect of another one in any more than a very slight "aha.." way.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Seda said:

the Hero of Time being one and the same with the Hero's Shade? (Skeleton Knight who teaches Twilight Princess Link)

---
At the end of Majora's Mask (Child timeline), we see Hero of Time Link go into the Lost Woods to look for Navi once again. We really don't know what happens to him. Now Link is a Hylian. One of the Kokiri in the Ocarina of Time mentions that Hylians who enter the Lost Woods without a Fairy will become a Stalfos.

Many many years later in this timeline arises the events of Twilight Princess, where a new Link gets sword training by a mysterious warrior, known as Hero's Shade. This character has a similar appearance to that of a Stalfos, suggesting that he might be a similar creature. Even his name suggest he was a 'Hero'

I think it's sort of a neat idea, but he never really seemed like he had Link's personality to me. Which is silly since Link HAS no personality, but I dunno. There really aren't any physical characteristics he has that would identify him as Link, he was just "a Hero." Surely there can be non-Link heroes?

MisterHero

Seda said:

---

That's a nice idea, but Link would have had to gone back to the forest as an adult, because child Hylians become Skull Kids under the same spell of the forest.

But I sort of like/hate to believe that the Shade is the fate of OoT Link, he is the Hero most associated with the Lost Woods after all

Tathanen said:
I think it's sort of a neat idea, but he never really seemed like he had Link's personality to me. Which is silly since Link HAS no personality, but I dunno. There really aren't any physical characteristics he has that would identify him as Link, he was just "a Hero." Surely there can be non-Link heroes?
There's the Knights of Hyrule as well. They're sort of important in games like Four Swords Adventures.

And Rusl. Rusl's a cool guy

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Princess Skittles said:
Because even if there are loose connections between games, they are, in the end, meaningless. They could NOT be there and it would change the games they are present in ZERO PERCENT. There will never be a plot point or reveal that ties things together in more than a fashion that obsessed fans writing fan-fiction will care about. Every Zelda game will be a stand-alone piece first and foremost. You will never need knowledge from a previous game to enjoy any aspect of another one in any more than a very slight "aha.." way.

Regardless, you said they weren't "meant" to be connected "at all." But they are "meant" to.

Besides that, Wind Waker in particular would not be as enjoyable if it didn't have all the stuff referencing Ocarina of Time. In fact, a good bit of the story hinges on all that happened in that game.

Roto13

Andrex said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm8XSdMdJ3w

Just found this video. Oh man, so awesome. I'd love to just open this up and look at the sky, the game is so familiar to me that seeing it from a different angle would be mindblowing.

Don't know what all the text is about though.
Why did someone remake the Link to the Past world in 3D and then have a temper tantrum in broken English?

Andrex said:

Just found this video. Oh man, so awesome. I'd love to just open this up and look at the sky, the game is so familiar to me that seeing it from a different angle would be mindblowing.

lol.
Nintendo you gone done broke my heart, all because you bastards changed the colour of your logo. I hate you forever and ever </3

Anth0ny

Princess Skittles said:

Well just because they are meaningless doesn't mean they aren't there. You don't need to watch Star Wars to enjoy Empire Strikes Back, but it's still a sequel. Like OOT and MM, like OOT and WW, like PH and ST.

Princess Skittles said:
L4ktY.jpg

Andrex said:

What a self-entitled dick. Couldn't make it past 2 minutes of that video. And this gem he put in the description says it all, really.

"Yes, this project is cancelled. Nintendo doesn't deserve anymore so much work. I give you all I did and all the sources. Feel free to continue this fan art as YOU want, we can't count on Nintendo to continue the legend !"

smh

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I really need to replay Twilight Princess before Skyward Sword comes out. I was very happy with the game, and especially the dungeon design when it first came out. And those screen shots are getting me all hot and bothered.

But I still have to finish Xenoblade. ;_;

Fritz

Professor Beef said:
What a self-entitled dick. Couldn't make it past 2 minutes of that video. And this gem he put in the description says it all, really.

"Yes, this project is cancelled. Nintendo doesn't deserve anymore so much work. I give you all I did and all the sources. Feel free to continue this fan art as YOU want, we can't count on Nintendo to continue the legend !"

smh

"Gamers, even casual ones, are more than numbers on a financial chart!"

Excuse me? What a drama queen LOL!

Roto13

I don't even know what he wants. Was he expecting Nintendo to buy his shitty assets and use them to remake Link to the Past or something?

Gravijah said:
i still remember the day the nintendo logo turned grey...
Yeah, the same grey-logo-Nintendo that may be making one of the best Zeldas ever (Skyward Sword) and giving another one for free with new levels (Four Swords).

Just lol.

Seda

shadyspace said:
Me too. Just got to Dragon Roost Island.

My OCD is making me get all the figurines I can at the moment.

Accept my Kargaroc pics already! What do you mean I don't have its face!?

Roto13

Seda said:
My OCD is making me get all the figurines I can at the moment.

Accept my Kargaroc pics already! What do you mean I don't have its face!?
You can take black and white pictures of the first two bosses and submit them for figurines after you get the DX camera.

So this new bit of knowledge combined with OCD might break your mind, and for that I am sorry.

Seda

Roto13 said:
You can take black and white pictures of the first two bosses and submit them for figurines after you get the DX camera.

So this new bit of knowledge combined with OCD might break your mind, and for that I am sorry.

Didn't know that, I normally get Gohma from Ganon's Castle. Got Kales-Demos though.

Kai

Seda said:

---

I adhere to this philosophy - and to be honest when I was playing TP for the first time I just got the feeling through his "teachings" that he was in fact - who you say he is.

The only thing that might change that is
the cinematic where the game talks about the interlopers is a reference to the Hyrulian Civil War and one of the factions that came out of that were the interlopers. That means that this "shade" could have been one of the knights of hyrule from that time period

Anth0ny

those TP shots look great. Do they have the HD texture pack? Most TP shots I've seen from dolphin look like ass.

If it could look like that, I'd love an HD remake. Take my rupees Nintendo.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Anth0ny said:
those TP shots look great. Do they have the HD texture pack? Most TP shots I've seen from dolphin look like ass.

If it could look like that, I'd love an HD remake. Take my rupees Nintendo.

My shots are all vanilla TP. No texture packs.

EmCeeGramr said:
i can't decide who i hate more

the people who try to stick every game into one cohesive plot like if you study minish cap's linguistic drift you'll discover clues about population and ethnographic changes amongst games borne from hylian agricultural innovations

or the people who insist that they're never connected at all and that wind waker is a stand alone LEGEND RETOLD where link has a boat and everything from nintendo and the games themselves stating otherwise is part of some 15 year long lie because?????
Eh, TMC is a bit of a mess and will introduce things that make no sense into any overarching timeline. If Tanathen is right (he may well be) and there are two canons, that would alleviate the problem, but where's the fun in that?

I think there is a single continuity, mostly because outside of Mario, I've never heard of any precedent to indicate that the good people at Nintendo believe in reboots. I also know that they will sacrifice continuity and common sense quicker than a virgin at a Winter Solstice festival if they think something will be fun or amusing.

Hence why Tingle is a timeline-hopping demigod and there is 19th century level technology in a world where most people live like the industrial revolution never happened.

Boney

Banned
Seda said:
Replaying through Wind Waker right now. Love this game (music especially).
aw man, played through it last year, and zelda's are such an event that they can't be beaten yearly.

Metroid is my yearly series. :3

Boney said:
aw man, played through it last year, and zelda's are such an event that they can't be beaten yearly.

Metroid is my yearly series. :3
I agree about the 3D Zeldas, but I replay Link to the Past and Link's Awakening every year around Thanksgiving.

And Super Metroid, of course. :)

Roto13

Once or twice a year I go through a Zelda phase and play through two or three Zelda games consecutively. :p I bought a 3DS when Ocarina of Time 3D so I played through that, and of course I bought Link's Awakening DX on the 3DS Virtual Console and finished that, and then I bought Link to the Past on the Wii Virtual Console and finished that too. :p If one of the 3DS Ambassador Games is Minish Cap, I'll definitely play that one again too.

Gravijah said:
does anyone else irrationally hate diddy kong
There's nothing irrational about my hate for Diddy Kong and the rest of the Kongs.

Top Bottom