• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Community Thread: Timelines, Retreads and Colors Oh My

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
[Nintex] said:
Ah this thread reminds me that finding the Temple of Time in Twilight Princess was awesome.
Finding it,
in ruins
, for the first time was. Playing through it wasn't.
It's probably my least favorite dungeon in the game.

Xane

Electivirus said:
Dammit, EatChildren. You got me to playing TP again. >:V

Just finished the last Tears of Light section. I NEVER HAVE TO DO THAT AGAIN YAAAAAY.
Until Nintendo releases an updated TP HD for the WiiU.

Rekubot

IceDoesntHelp said:
Strip002_JustFriendsMotion3.gif

DDS_WEB1.gif

StayDown_WEB2.gif
Quoting for the new page. Comics... which move? What is this devilry?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Jocchan said:
Finding it,
in ruins
, for the first time was. Playing through it wasn't.
It's probably my least favorite dungeon in the game.

Hrm... I probably agree. The *puzzles* were weak. But I liked the atmosphere.

Yeah, thinking about it I definitely agree. Weakest one.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
TSA said:
Yea, sorry - the maintenance screwed it up. Here's the new version.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78-dO9KVVgI
I have no idea. I looked at some of the officially released arrangement albums and some of the doujin albums and I'm not sure of its origin. I even checked with some ESO and Symphonic Legends concerts and it isn't from either of those places.

I'll double-check with my boyfriend when he gets home (he knows more about VGM than I do) because I'd really like to know where this came from too. :(

Seems really obscure.

So I just beat Four Swords Anniversary edition.

It seems like it would be a lot more fun in multiplayer. Thing is, the dungeons and controls just aren't designed for single player and the auto-assist stuff is a little unreliable. That said, I nostalgia'd hard during the extra content (even though I only played through LA and LoZ for the first time last year).

It's a weird feeling, since those games weren't a part of my childhood, like how The Sandlot makes me nostalgic for 1950s America.

Dark Schala said:
I have no idea. I looked at some of the officially released arrangement albums and some of the doujin albums and I'm not sure of its origin. I even checked with some ESO and Symphonic Legends concerts and it isn't from either of those places.

I'll double-check with my boyfriend when he gets home (he knows more about VGM than I do) because I'd really like to know where this came from too. :(

Seems really obscure.

Thanks for looking through all that. I had done that, but sometimes I miss the obvious. I have quite a bit of obscure Zelda music (like the European car commercial music from many years ago), but this is the one track that I can't figure out. Even if it is just a fan arrangement, I'd like to know who did it and when it was made. My guess was maybe somebody mashed up Zelda music with another game's soundtrack.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
viciouskillersquirrel said:
So I just beat Four Swords Anniversary edition.

It seems like it would be a lot more fun in multiplayer. Thing is, the dungeons and controls just aren't designed for single player and the auto-assist stuff is a little unreliable. That said, I nostalgia'd hard during the extra content (even though I only played through LA and LoZ for the first time last year).

It's a weird feeling, since those games weren't a part of my childhood, like how The Sandlot makes me nostalgic for 1950s America.

I got that with some games. OOT was my first Zelda actually and I felt "nostalgic" playing LTTP. Which made no real sense.

Also: with all your timeline whozawats you didn't play LA and LoZ until LAST YEAR?

Tathanen said:
I got that with some games. OOT was my first Zelda actually and I felt "nostalgic" playing LTTP. Which made no real sense.

Also: with all your timeline whozawats you didn't play LA and LoZ until LAST YEAR?
LA is a side story and there isn't really much story in LoZ outside of the manual (which I did read). Besides, I had played LoZ before, but I'd never finished it until last year.

To come up with a half-coherent and well-informed timeline, all you really need is to have played are the games Nintendo released on consoles (including FSA) and even then, you can get away with just reading the manuals for LoZ and AoL.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Xun said:
I'm tempted to replay Twilight Princess, but so much of the game just dragged on.

Its those tears of light quests. I mean, I didn't mind them the very first time I played Twilight Princess, but on this replay (and my last) its clear they absolutely destroy the first 3rd of the game's pacing. Their intention is to teach you the layout of the land, but they're little more than monotonous, lengthy treasure hunts with no puzzles or engaging gameplay. They're the definition of a chore.

That plus there's an awful lot of cinema during the first 3rd, and a whole lot of tutorials. The game makes you goat herd twice for fucks sake. If the intro was snappier and got to the point quicker I think a lot of people would have no problem replaying the game. As it is it takes faaar too long for the game to just let you go about at your own pace.

senador

Banned
I have had TP since launch on GC and attempted to play it twice. I wasn't huge into Zelda games when I tried and the beginning just didn't feel Zelda to me. It just felt weird. So I'd get to certain parts and quit playing. Not really by choice, just quit for the day then never started again because nothing was calling me back. Each time the only thing that stood out in my mind was the Kakariko tear hunt and how it was not fun. After hearing about it and seeing Dolphin pics off and on for like a year I have started again.

I just finished the Goron mines and it is finally fun. I can't to get more into it now. It really does have the worst opening to a game ever. I had to just leave my Wii on and play when I walked by to keep me going. If I turned it off I wouldn't go back. I assume its like the opening of Ocarina were you have the 3 dungeons as a child then it really gets into the game? If so, I am almost there.

I couldn't get Dolphin working to a satisfactory level so that's a bummer. I really really hope the Wii U will at least display GC and Wii games at HD resolution. If not, I'lll have to build a PC someday and go back for all the Zelda games.

The intro to TP isn't the worst ever, but it is extremely slow. It doesn't help that those boring tear hunts take place in the terribly un-pretty Twilight Realm.

And unless Nintendo starts putting GameCube games on the VC, the Wii U won't be backwards compatible. Plus, there's no way the system would automatically up-res Wii or GC games; there are just too many variables to make such a thing possible.

Oxx

Now that I have found a stylus I might try and finish off Spirit Tracks.

It has been quite a while since I last gave it a go and I'm pretty sure the next part I have to attempt is in that puzzle tower. Not the easiest way to re-familiarise myself with the mechanics.

Roto13 said:
The Wii U is backwards compatible with Wii games. :p But it won't upres them.
Yeah, sorry... I wasn't clear.

Regardless, Dolphin is surprisingly good at up-rezzing GC and Wii games, and the community is quite active.

Roto13

Oxx said:
Now that I have found a stylus I might try and finish off Spirit Tracks.

It has been quite a while since I last gave it a go and I'm pretty sure the next part I have to attempt is in that puzzle tower. Not the easiest way to re-familiarise myself with the mechanics.
I thought the last trip through the tower was really hard. :/

senador

Banned
SecretMoblin said:
The intro to TP isn't the worst ever, but it is extremely slow. It doesn't help that those boring tear hunts take place in the terribly un-pretty Twilight Realm.

And unless Nintendo starts putting GameCube games on the VC, the Wii U won't be backwards compatible. Plus, there's no way the system would automatically up-res Wii or GC games; there are just too many variables to make such a thing possible.

One of the worst intros out of games I have played I should have said. If it wasn't a Zelda game I would have quit and not tried again. Just too much talking, and hand holding, and boring cinematic. Bah.

So, why can't the Wii U upscale? I keep hearing it but I don't follow. I'm a web developer so I'm not stupid when it comes to coding, but I obviously don't follow something here. The 360 upscaled OG Xbox games. Why can't that'd be done for Wii games on a more powerful console? I know it won't "just do it", but I'd like for that to be a feature they add.

senador said:
One of the worst intros out of games I have played I should have said. If it wasn't a Zelda game I would have quit and not tried again. Just too much talking, and hand holding, and boring cinematic. Bah.

So, why can't the Wii U upscale? I keep hearing it but I don't follow. I'm a web developer so I'm not stupid when it comes to coding, but I obviously don't follow something here. The 360 upscaled OG Xbox games. Why can't that'd be done for Wii games on a more powerful console? I know it won't "just do it", but I'd like for that to be a feature they add.
Basically, it's not as easy as flipping a switch. Folks with more technical know-how could probably elaborate, but there's more to it than just rendering the graphics in a higher resolution. There are so many games and so many different graphics engines that it takes options-heavy emulators like Dolphin to run the vast library properly, and even then most games have graphics issues that range from the relatively minor to the unplayable.

Look at the PS3 and PS1/PS2 compatibility and the XBox 360 with XBox compatibility; even when it's not outputting the games at a higher resolution there are still issues, and not all games can be played correctly. Creating a system that properly upscales every game would not only require a massive investment on Nintendo's part, but it's probably not technologically feasible.

As much as I would love it, I can deal with ripping my games now and waiting until I get a Dolphin-capable PC to play them again in HD.

SecretMoblin said:
The puzzles in the DS games (especially Spirit Tracks) are probably among the toughest in any Zelda, honestly.
Haters will tell you that the DS games are too easy and they're for babbies etc., but don't you believe them. Spirit Tracks is wonderful.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Haters will tell you that the DS games are too easy and they're for babbies etc., but don't you believe them. Spirit Tracks is wonderful.
They're definitely near the bottom of my list of favorite Zeldas (though both are above Minish Cap... I don't know why I didn't love that game), but they're still both great games.

And even though it may make me sound like a hater, I still wish they had button controls.

SecretMoblin said:
They're definitely near the bottom of my list of favorite Zeldas (though both are above Minish Cap... I don't know why I didn't love that game), but they're still both great games.

And even though it may make me sound like a hater, I still wish they had button controls.
Don't get me wrong - I have beaten (in some form) every single Zelda game Nintendo ever released in the west (and some that weren't), including the Tingle games and Phantom Hourglass is pretty low on my list. Spirit Tracks, on the other hand, is very very close to the top.

The thing about the DS games is that they are a very different beast to your traditional 2D Zeldas and in my mind, have more in common with AoL than they do with LoZ. Basically, instead of having an integrated overworld like LoZ did, you travel from level to level on what is essentially a map and have gameplay that hinges on traversing that map (fetch quests, random but avoidable enemy encounters, mazes, on-map actions that unlock new areas etc.). Some people don't like that, not even a little bit, so some backlash is inevitable.

I see the series as being split into three, not two. There's the 3D Zeldas, the 2D LoZ-style Zeldas and the 2D AoL-style Zeldas, of which the DS games are just a more recent interpretation.

Roto13

I don't mind world maps, but the one in Spirit Tracks is terrible. It takes forever to get anywhere and it has those stupid train monsters than can give you a Game Over in one hit. Even opening up the warp gates so you can get around faster is a huge ordeal.

Mistle

Roto13 said:
Well, there are more, and not just for Zelda.

[IM.G]http://i.imgur.com/VcRlo.gif[/IMG]
Thanks! Guy has a great eye for aesthetics, the colours and art style are so charming. The animation is the icing on the cake. I wish animated avatars were still allowed, as heaps of these panels would look great.

His writing is good for the most part too.

EDIT:
StayDown_WEB2.gif

If I didn't know any better, I would have guessed this was a translated and mirrored Japanese comic, considering everything seems to be mirrored. Hearts on the right, depleting to the right, and Link is right handed.

Roto13 said:
I don't mind world maps, but the one in Spirit Tracks is terrible. It takes forever to get anywhere and it has those stupid train monsters than can give you a Game Over in one hit. Even opening up the warp gates so you can get around faster is a huge ordeal.
I'm trying to do a second run through of the game for the dungeons (just did the rather enjoyable Ice dungeon again last night, love that ice boomerang and the bell gimmick).

But the train really does go out of its way to ruin everything, it's far worse on the second go around. Usually I look forward to the overworld sections between dungeons in Zelda but in ST I fear it, you ride the train for most of the time and enter very basic villages with like 3 buildings.

Oddly the boat in PH didn't bother me, you would reach destinations faster, the warps worked better and enemies felt more interesting to combat.

As for the difficulty of ST, i'd say it was the toughest Zelda in years both from puzzles and bosses. Not overly difficult mind you but i'd say it's ahead of everything from WW onwards.
It may sound silly to say "the train ruins it!" but for me it actually does. I'm fine with everything else, well maybe not the pipes but that's more of my own fault.

Anth0ny

senador said:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

why upscale when they could release HD remasters for $40 a pop in the future?

senador

Banned
SecretMoblin said:
Basically, it's not as easy as flipping a switch. Folks with more technical know-how could probably elaborate, but there's more to it than just rendering the graphics in a higher resolution. There are so many games and so many different graphics engines that it takes options-heavy emulators like Dolphin to run the vast library properly, and even then most games have graphics issues that range from the relatively minor to the unplayable.

Look at the PS3 and PS1/PS2 compatibility and the XBox 360 with XBox compatibility; even when it's not outputting the games at a higher resolution there are still issues, and not all games can be played correctly. Creating a system that properly upscales every game would not only require a massive investment on Nintendo's part, but it's probably not technologically feasible.

As much as I would love it, I can deal with ripping my games now and waiting until I get a Dolphin-capable PC to play them again in HD.

Ah, yes. I think you flipped a switch for me. I remember now too that at the 360 launch only a few Xbox games worked and they had to continuously put out patches as they fixed them. Well, kind of a bummer. That'd be what I mainly wanted out of Wii U, not necessarily new games, even if it is a magical request.

Anth0ny said:
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

why upscale when they could release HD remasters for $40 a pop in the future?

I'm an audio visual HD/quality whore. Sadly, if they do it, I will buy them if I don't have a good enough computer for Dolphin by then.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
TSA said:
Thanks for looking through all that. I had done that, but sometimes I miss the obvious. I have quite a bit of obscure Zelda music (like the European car commercial music from many years ago), but this is the one track that I can't figure out. Even if it is just a fan arrangement, I'd like to know who did it and when it was made. My guess was maybe somebody mashed up Zelda music with another game's soundtrack.
My boyfriend suggested that it must be an obscure fan arrangement, but he's never heard it before. Depending on what you use, you can get something of high calibre like that. And it sounds great. Really good quality. I was thinking it may have come from the now-defunct VG Mix, but then I thought about it and decided that that place wouldn't have such a high-quality remix like that.

It's quite a mystery. I feel bad that I can't wrap my head around this. I'm sorry.

TheCongressman1 said:
I got another painting. I'm really pleased with this one.
I really like your style. It looks really nice. And yeah the blue shadows helped a lot.

My only small nitpick is that Link's eyes are a deeper shade of blue, but everything else is fine. :D

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The long and short of emulation is that the bigger the difference in hardware configurations the harder emulation becomes. Games made specifically for a console are made in a closed hardware environment. Their engines are built from the ground up to use very specific hardware in very specific ways.

Thus with a hardware shift, even to significantly more powerful hardware, you run into problems as even though the game should theoretically run just fine if you crunch the numbers, it wont as the engine itself isn't built for that hardware.

Emulators fill the gap by making one hardware configuration work like an old configuration. On the Wii, playing GCN games was easy as the hardware was basically exactly the same. The Wii literally under clocked it's processor/GPU to match the GCN. All those Virtual Console games have specific emulators built into each piece of software.

The Wii U being backwards compatible with the Wii out-of-the-box makes me somewhat confident that rendering in a higher resolution would be easier than, say, PS2 games on the PS3 (huge hardware differences), but I wouldn't count on it happening. Worst case scenario is that the emulation has to brute force the hardware to render the games, much like how Dolphin works, which results in needing a tremendous amount of processing power just to play the damn things.

IceDoesntHelp said:
God damn, you're good.

That's one of my finest complements I've gotten in a long time, haha. Thank you.

Dark Schala said:
I really like your style. It looks really nice. And yeah the blue shadows helped a lot.

My only small nitpick is that Link's eyes are a deeper shade of blue, but everything else is fine. :D

That's just too bad. It's my painting and I'll give him pink hair if I want! ;//

But seriously, thank you very much for the complement.

TheCongressman1 said:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6221/6215581741_dc17e6f27d_b.jpg

I forgot who it was who suggested the blue shadows, but I took the advice. I'm glad I did. :P[/QUOTE]
I like how unsure of himself you painted him. Like, "Uh, there's probably not a pit full of spikes at the bottom of this thing, right?" Most Links (not all of them, however) have struck me as such: obviously brave but not to the point where they don't have moments of "oh fuck".

senador

Banned
EatChildren said:
The long and short of emulation is that the bigger the difference in hardware configurations the harder emulation becomes. Games made specifically for a console are made in a closed hardware environment. Their engines are built from the ground up to use very specific hardware in very specific ways.

Thus with a hardware shift, even to significantly more powerful hardware, you run into problems as even though the game should theoretically run just fine if you crunch the numbers, it wont as the engine itself isn't built for that hardware.

Emulators fill the gap by making one hardware configuration work like an old configuration. On the Wii, playing GCN games was easy as the hardware was basically exactly the same. The Wii literally under clocked it's processor/GPU to match the GCN. All those Virtual Console games have specific emulators built into each piece of software.

The Wii U being backwards compatible with the Wii out-of-the-box makes me somewhat confident that rendering in a higher resolution would be easier than, say, PS2 games on the PS3 (huge hardware differences), but I wouldn't count on it happening. Worst case scenario is that the emulation has to brute force the hardware to render the games, much like how Dolphin works, which results in needing a tremendous amount of processing power just to play the damn things.

Cool thanks for the info, its becoming more clear to me now. I really hope Nintendo gets Wii U right and changes their thinking. It really bums me out that I have all these great Nintendo games but they don't look that great because they decided HD wasn't necessary. I'm really hoping Skyward's art style helps the lack of HD and makes it look good enough.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
TheCongressman1 said:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6221/6215581741_dc17e6f27d_b.jpg

I forgot who it was who suggested the blue shadows, but I took the advice. I'm glad I did. :p
Well, I suggested "blue reflected light" in the shading in an earlier post. Was that it? If so, I'm glad you took my advice. :p

The blue does really work well contrasting with the warm tones of the brick/sand. I think my favorite details would be how poofy/wrinkly you made his pilot pants look and the smoke - just enhances the sense of movement. Excellently done.

Keep 'em coming!

senador said:
Cool thanks for the info, its becoming more clear to me now. I really hope Nintendo gets Wii U right and changes their thinking. It really bums me out that I have all these great Nintendo games but they don't look that great because they decided HD wasn't necessary. I'm really hoping Skyward's art style helps the lack of HD and makes it look good enough.
Even thought the Wii isn't an HD system, it's very clear that Nintendo built several of their Wii games with future HD emulation in mind. So unlike a game like Metroid Prime, which was designed very carefully around the specific hardware of the GameCube and takes quite a bit of work to emulate properly in a higher resolution, most of the more recent Wii games look really good in HD.

I can't wait to see Skyward Sword in Dolphin.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Did you know...

... that Din's Fire is capable of evaporating Morpha's tentacles?
... that Hena will begin to scratch herself after Link looks at the picture of the fisherman from Ocarina of Time?
... that the arch at the entrance to Romani Ranch reads (when translated from Japanese) "Welcome to Kakariko Village"?

EatChildren

senador said:

Take my assumption that the Wii U might have an easier time rendering Wii games in HD with a handful of salt, as I cant say for sure. All you gotta do is take one look at the PS2 games now on PSN to see how difficult emulation can be.

Backwards compatibility and especially improved rendering is one of those things that I wouldn't put too much stock in for new platforms, simply because of the hurdles the hardware needs to jump to get it right. After all, the original PS3 models had to contain separate processing units (as far as I'm aware) just to be backwards compatible with the PS2, hence their removal for a price drop.

Top Bottom