• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Community Thread: Timelines, Retreads and Colors Oh My

Rehynn

BY2K said:
Did you know...

... that Din's Fire is capable of evaporating Morpha's tentacles?
... that Hena will begin to scratch herself after Link looks at the picture of the fisherman from Ocarina of Time?
... that the arch at the entrance to Romani Ranch reads (when translated from Japanese) "Welcome to Kakariko Village"?

I did not know that. So they just recycled the Kakariko sign from Ocarina.

markot

Banned
Wii U upscaling wii games would be so awesome ^_^ They look so good on Dolphin.

TWW is such a pretty game too >.< I would looooooooooooove a new cell shaded game from Nintendo in that style, even if its not Zelda, its just so damn pretty and awesome.

Dr.Hadji

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Haters will tell you that the DS games are too easy and they're for babbies etc., but don't you believe them. Spirit Tracks is wonderful.

My brother in arms. I'll defend the best parts of ST to the grave. That and I think Phantom Hourglass has a great story or I should say a great underlying theme that people overlook.

mdtauk

Spirit Tracks was one of the best Zelda games. I love the controls, and whilst I am not a huge fan of vehicle traversal, the character moments with Zelda, and the rest of the game more than makes up for it.

Phantom Hourglass brought us Linebeck and the Ocean King's music, so we can give it a pass!

senador

Banned
SecretMoblin said:
Even thought the Wii isn't an HD system, it's very clear that Nintendo built several of their Wii games with future HD emulation in mind. So unlike a game like Metroid Prime, which was designed very carefully around the specific hardware of the GameCube and takes quite a bit of work to emulate properly in a higher resolution, most of the more recent Wii games look really good in HD.

I can't wait to see Skyward Sword in Dolphin.

That's the thing I don't understand. The assets were clearly made with HD in mind. Perhaps the artists just couldn't bare to have low res originals? Nah, its almost like they planned to do something in the future. I get so bummed that I only get 480p out of the Wii. Meh.

EatChildren said:
Take my assumption that the Wii U might have an easier time rendering Wii games in HD with a handful of salt, as I cant say for sure. All you gotta do is take one look at the PS2 games now on PSN to see how difficult emulation can be.

Backwards compatibility and especially improved rendering is one of those things that I wouldn't put too much stock in for new platforms, simply because of the hurdles the hardware needs to jump to get it right. After all, the original PS3 models had to contain separate processing units (as far as I'm aware) just to be backwards compatible with the PS2, hence their removal for a price drop.

Yeah, I am taking it with a grain of salt for sure. I've lowered my expectations of the Wii U doing this. I still wish and hope it will, but its more of a pipe dream now.

Thanks for the info guys.

---

I just finished the tear hunt in Lanayru. Wow that was the biggest chore ever. Some parts of this game are a lot of fun were others are so lame. BIG WTF at the dark and creepy cutscene after finding the last tear. That didn't make much sense to me.

senador said:
I just finished the tear hunt in Lanayru. Wow that was the biggest chore ever. Some parts of this game are a lot of fun were others are so lame. BIG WTF at the dark and creepy cutscene after finding the last tear. That didn't make much sense to me.
The fun/lame ratio improves as the game goes on, I think. If we're talking about the 3D Zeldas, the last few hours of TP are probably only topped by the final act of Majora's Mask.

senador

Banned
SecretMoblin said:
The fun/lame ratio improves as the game goes on, I think. If we're talking about the 3D Zeldas, the last few hours of TP are probably only topped by the final act of Majora's Mask.

Good to know. Lakebed Temple is next which sounds fun. I assume starting now the game gets better.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
There are only three Tears of Light quests, so you're done with those now. The pacing of the game improves significantly from here.

Hypatia

TheCongressman1 said:
I got another painting. I'm really pleased with this one.
Fantastic use of colour. Love the pose and expression too :) Is that your usual style? 'Cause if so I wanna see more.

mdtauk said:
Spirit Tracks was one of the best Zelda games. I love the controls, and whilst I am not a huge fan of vehicle traversal, the character moments with Zelda, and the rest of the game more than makes up for it.

Phantom Hourglass brought us Linebeck and the Ocean King's music, so we can give it a pass!

I actually liked Phantom Hourglass. I mean it's really flawed and the Ocean Kings temple was tedious after the first few times but I still played through the entire thing in like 2-3 sittings. But yeah, Spirit Tracks was definitely a huge improvement.

And as much as I love the DS Zeldas controls I'd still like another Handheld Zelda that controlled more like the Gameboy Zeldas. I dont see why we can't have both styles.

Also I think we'll be really lucky if the Wii U upscales Wii games better than your average TV and rendering at a higher resolution seems incredibly unlikely to me. Would love to be wrong though.

Hypatia said:
Fantastic use of colour. Love the pose and expression too :) Is that your usual style? 'Cause if so I wanna see more.

Thank you! Yeah, it's my style at the moment. I've been experimenting for a while, but I think I've found it. I should have some new stuff up soon.

ExMachina said:
Well, I suggested "blue reflected light" in the shading in an earlier post. Was that it? If so, I'm glad you took my advice. :p

The blue does really work well contrasting with the warm tones of the brick/sand. I think my favorite details would be how poofy/wrinkly you made his pilot pants look and the smoke - just enhances the sense of movement. Excellently done.

Keep 'em coming!

Ah, yes, it was you. Thank you, and I will! :)

shadyspace said:
I like how unsure of himself you painted him. Like, "Uh, there's probably not a pit full of spikes at the bottom of this thing, right?" Most Links (not all of them, however) have struck me as such: obviously brave but not to the point where they don't have moments of "oh fuck".

I agree. I like portraying the natural side of people. No one looks fearless all the time... Except for maybe space marines.

Just started to play Wind Waker for the first time in years. God damn, its gorgeous. Just beat Forsaken Fortress. Time to meet the King of
Hyrule
Red Lions.

IceDoesntHelp said:
Just started to play Wind Waker for the first time in years. God damn, its gorgeous. Just beat Forsaken Fortress. Time to meet the King of
Hyrule
Red Lions.
Just beat the Forbidden Woods myself. After picking up the deku leaf and boomerang it got me thinking that WW has got to have my favorite suite of items of any Zelda.

shadyspace said:
Just beat the Forbidden Woods myself. After picking up the deku leaf and boomerang it got me thinking that WW has got to have my favorite suite of items of any Zelda.
I think I agree with this.

Worst items? Minish Cap, no contest.

markot said:
Screw you, it had the cape and stuff!
93TsO.gif

Anth0ny said:
Do masks count? If so, MM has the best items by far.

But WWs are awesum too
We wanna talk about the best of now? Okay.
Wind Waker has the best items, soundtrack, animation, graphics and combat system (of all games released so far).

Dr.Hadji

IceDoesntHelp said:
Wind Waker has the best items, soundtrack, animation, graphics and combat system (of all games released so far).

These belong to Spirit Tracks.

Dr.Hadji said:
These belong to Spirit Tracks.
Haven't played Spirit Tracks, so I wouldn't know.

EDIT: So there I was playing Wind Waker, and those annoying Peahats come by, I accidently grappled it and it gave me a gold feather. I never knew that before. It blew my mind.

I don't normally share my WIPs, but what the hell. Gotta show this thread some love.
IjtLv.png

Here's a sketch of what I've been working on for this thread. This should give you an idea of what I'm planing. Due to school and the fact I work really slow, don't expect me to be done anytime soon. It's a work in progress so feed back would be appreciated.

Chet Rippo said:
I don't normally share my WIPs, but what the hell. Gotta show this thread some love.
IjtLv.png

Here's a sketch of what I've been working on for this thread. This should give you an idea of what I'm planing. Due to school and the fact I work really slow, don't expect me to be done anytime soon. It's a work in progress so feed back would be appreciated.
Looks fantastic. But...but wheres SS link ;_;

Anth0ny

IceDoesntHelp said:

Items: Majora's Mask
Soundtrack: OOT (but every game is fucking godlike)
Animation: Wind Waker (obvs)
Graphics: Wind Waker (obvs)
Combat system: Wind Waker I guess. Skyward is going to top it almost certainly.

I'll add a couple:

Dungeons: Majora's Mask (TP SO CLOSE)
Overworld: Majora's Mask
Best game with Majora in the title: Majora's Mask
Best game that takes place in Termina: Majora's Mask
Best Zelda game: Majora's Mask (the stats don't lie!)

Anth0ny said:

I'll add a couple:

*takes Stone Mask off*

And that's why Majora's Mask has the most satisfying ending in the series.

Anth0ny said:

I'll add a couple:

Dungeons: Twilight Princess
Overworld: Wind Waker (sue me)
3D Zelda: Wind Waker
2D Zelda: A Link to the Past

Flare

Chet Rippo said:
http://i.imgur.com/IjtLv.png[IMG]
Here's a sketch of what I've been working on for this thread. This should give you an idea of what I'm planing. Due to school and the fact I work really slow, don't expect me to be done anytime soon. It's a work in progress so feed back would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

You people and your drawing skills. Can't say I have the right to critique here.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
shadyspace said:

Dude, nothing will ever beat Double Clawshots and the Spinner.

Mumei

Anth0ny said:

I'll add a couple:

I like you.

Andrex said:
Dude, nothing will ever beat Double Clawshots and the Spinner.
Double Clawshots did indeed rock. Glad to see them coming back for SS. The Spinner I could take or leave. Without a rail it slowed down way too quickly.

SecretMoblin said:
*prepares paperwork, calls a lawyer*
I hope you're prepared to lose. Wind Waker truly has the best and most vibrant overworld.

rUEMN.gif

I needn't say anything else.

As for the Spinner, I will only accept it as a good item if Nintendo made a Tony Hawk-type game with nothing but Spinners and Nintendo characters.

IceDoesntHelp said:
Looks fantastic. But...but wheres SS link ;_;
Well, might as well show you the rest of the Links too.
oyYcw.png

Just ignore the fact that PH Link seems to just be floating there, and stabbing AoL Link in the chest. I done goofed. Good thing computers can fix this problem.
vXJlV.png

Can you guess which color is which?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wow, your sketches are awesome Chet! I liked your Pokemon fanarts, but I guess I don't really prefer the gradient style shading you put on the final thing...

Andrex said:
Wow, your sketches are awesome Chet! I liked your Pokemon fanarts, but I guess I don't really prefer the gradient style shading you put on the final thing...
This cuts me deep. :p
But no seriously, I can see why some might not like it. Thanks for the complement.

I just realized that you can totally see what I drew on the next page in my four swords pic. ha ha

Unicorn

shadyspace said:
the lasso hook claw was so cool.

Fuck, now I have an urge to play WW. Just finished Arkahm Asylum, so I was hoping I'd be done with back-tracking games :(

Rikkun

Ah there you are, I didn't realize it was friday.

Yesterday I started replaying TP.. I'm at the Forest Temple and.. meh.

Then I went to a friend's house and brought with me FSA, finally we managed to play some co-op Zelda... Great fun and top-notch looking.

But Nintendo, I'll wait for your HD rereleases. I know they'll come, maybe in 15 years but they'll come.

I wonder if they'll ever make a Zelda where Link's killed off, even if it's just implied. Considering the unique nature of the series' characters they could get away with it easier than just about anyone else.

Hypatia

Chet Rippo said:
IjtLv.png

It's a work in progress so feed back would be appreciated.

This is really good, looks fantastic. I love how they all look in style for each game and how well they flow together. I hope you colour it because it deserves more than black and white :)

It terms of critique though... I'd say LTTP Link has an odd looking neck; I'd move the head forward a touch. Also his left arm looks a little mishappen... I'd try moving up the elbow.

I'd move WW Link's left arm up a touch.. except then it'd be largely hidden by the cap so I'd probably curve it so you could still see the whole thing.

TP Link's torso looks too flat to me; I'd extend the line defining his left side back a bit and move the belt buckle more to the left side of the picture, which should enlarge the belt... His legs also looks far too short from what I can tell. The top of his head also looks a little flat so I'd enlarge the forehead or possibly just move the cap over to the left of the paper so his head looked larger.

OoT Link needs his right eye higher and I'd alter the perspective of the shield because right now it looks like it's facing the side. I'd also move his right foot back a bit.

MC Link's sword looks a bit bent and his left leg looks thinner than the right.

But otherwise, fantastic job! And now your art's really gotten me in the mood for drawing....

Roto13 said:
Awesome Image

That is so damn cool.

Anth0ny

this thread needs to be more active. The Skyward Sword spoilers are getting out of control. It seems like new vids/screens come out every day now. I'm on a media blackout, so this thread is all I have left ; _ ;

I've finally gotten around to playing Spirit Tracks.

I must say, it starts a little slow - I thought it took way too long to get the freight car when NPCs were complaining and asking for freight to be transported since the beginning of the game.

The overworld/train parts are pretty boring, but I really enjoy the dungeons, and the Tower is nice and challenging.

Overall, not too bad of a game.

Top Bottom