• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Community Thread: Timelines, Retreads and Colors Oh My

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Fanart time?

kJQ1r.png

A piece I did for the Paint thread earlier this year. I worked so hard on it and it didn't come out that well. :(

MalpercioGoC said:
I've finally gotten around to playing Spirit Tracks.

I must say, it starts a little slow - I thought it took way too long to get the freight car when NPCs were complaining and asking for freight to be transported since the beginning of the game.

The overworld/train parts are pretty boring, but I really enjoy the dungeons, and the Tower is nice and challenging.

Overall, not too bad of a game.
Sadly, the train parts never get any less boring, though the dungeon design steadily improves throughout the game. And the Tower is much, much less of a pain than in Phantom Hourglass.

But, bunnies!

Meikiyou

SecretMoblin said:
Sadly, the train parts never get any less boring, though the dungeon design steadily improves throughout the game. And the Tower is much, much less of a pain than in Phantom Hourglass.

But, bunnies!
in the ending it gets less boring but you only have something like 2 minutes more in that fucking slow bitch.

I'd love to do all the sidequests and track down all the bunnies and whatnot, I just can't muster up enough willpower. I'd rather just blow through it all and get to the next dungeon/boss, tower segment, etc. At least the soundtrack is enjoyable as well, haha.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Electivirus said:
God, Lakebed Temple just took me 2 hours to finish. But now I can rejoice! The game gets super awesome from here on out! :D

Uh Lakebed was awesome. Plebe. :p

Wind Waker was nice and easy, 'till now. I forget where the ice arrows are, so gotta go around the whole great sea, 'till I find that damn Ice Island. -_-

Roto13

IceDoesntHelp said:
Wind Waker was nice and easy, 'till now. I forget where the ice arrows are, so gotta go around the whole great sea, 'till I find that damn Ice Island. -_-
Song of Cyclones. :p

Roto13

IceDoesntHelp said:
Technically I don't "need" it, but its suggested I get it (;

I just don't want to fight the damn Frog Deity -_-
And how do you plan to get to the Queen of the Fairies so she can give you the Fire and Ice arrows? Climb? ;P

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You do swim through water a bit and have to reroute the water, similar to Lakebed in TP.

ST is the one Zelda game I'm safe in saying I'll never replay. Not unless someone comes up with some sort of hack to warp to every destination at will. That train was the worst shit they ever put in these games, bar none.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Flat on the Ground - Purple
Jumping above all - Red
In the back - Blue
Looking to the right - Green

AMIRIGHT?
Yeah.
Hypatia said:
This is really good, looks fantastic. I love how they all look in style for each game and how well they flow together. I hope you colour it because it deserves more than black and white :)

It terms of critique though...

But otherwise, fantastic job! And now your art's really gotten me in the mood for drawing....
Thanks, I greatly appreciate the feed back!

Mistle said:
Lucky it's sfw Zelda
I suppose since the cats out of the bag I might as well show the Zeldas then too.
TcOoI.png

To say that I'm disappointed with how TP Zelda came out would be an understatement. I need to either tweak it or completely start over with her.

Not much to say here. OoT and ALttP Zeldas are probably a little on the short side, or FS and MC Zeldas are too tall.
dx8DU.png

I just kinda guessed on what AoL Zelda looks like. Couldn't find a decent official picture of her. The dress just looks wrong, I'll need to work on that more.

Mistle

I apologise if you were trying to keep the Zeldas under wraps until completion, I didn't realise.

Regardless, those are some fantastic sketches. You really catch the spirit and character, can't wait to see how it all turns out.

EDIT: Do you have a DeviantART account or something similar?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TcOoI.png

If you put Tetra in this pic instead of cancer Zelda then this would have the best three in the series by far.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Someone was concerned about spoilers, so I'll spoiler tag my Twilight Princess Dolphin playthrough screens and comments.

I finished the City in the Sky, and it ties with the Temple of Time as my least favourite dungeon. I knew there was something up with my memory of the place, which was both extremely vague of it's layout and not entirely sure if I originally enjoyed it.

While the dungeon has some good ideas, and the dual clawshot is way too cool for school, the dungeon highlights a lot of the tedium I dislike in Zelda. Its too slow, and bland to navigate in my opinion. I also think it brings to light some of the fiddly mechanics of Twilight Princess, particularly the automatic jump and the terrible grapple vine collision detection. Mostly I found the dungeon a chore, and couldn't wait for it to be over. The boss fight is pretty neat, but like all the others far too easy.

SCREENS! There's quite a few of Hyrule Field and other locals here too, taken during the pre-City in the Sky statue quest and such.

If you want to see my screenies of the above, click away.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I didn't really care for the atmosphere for
City in the Sky
... but I didn't mind the puzzles. I think the second half of the dungeon is much more enjoyable though.

The boss battle was absolutely AMAZING though. One of the best in all of Zelda.

Anth0ny said:
Yeah the boss battle was definitely awesome. Dungeon, not so much.

I just liked it when you reached the dungeon item. An awesome WTF moment when you open that chest, even if the dungeon design made it obvious what would be inside. :lol

Roto13

I've known people who suck at Zelda. :p Dungeon exploration and puzzles just never really click with them. Like they just forget everything they see in a dungeon the moment it's out of their field of view.

Roto13

G-Fex said:
I'm terrible at all of them, ALL Of them.

I don't even know what to do in the original one ._.
Well nobody knows what to do in the original one unless they use a map or have it memorized from playing it a million times with trial and error.

Roto13 said:
Well nobody knows what to do in the original one unless they use a map or have it memorized from playing it a million times with trial and error.
It's often really easy to forget that while games like Zelda, Metroid, etc. were trailblazing, there has been a ton of evolution in game design in the years since. Playing the original Zelda, as wonderful as it is, requires a lot of patience.

G-Fex

Roto13 said:

I don't know what to do in Zelda II either.

*gives up*

Top Bottom