• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Community Thread: Timelines, Retreads and Colors Oh My

Boney

Banned
timetokill said:
I was just thinking to myself (after the symphony, strangely enough) that the Zelda series has a lot of really good strong female characters. They don't go out of their way to make them simply into eye-candy. Really nice.
Marin is best

Jasoco

Banned
Marin's my favorite. She's the Zelda of Link's Awakening. I love that whole game so much. Even the eagle boss that I hated so much.

olimpia84

I'm trying to use one of those Zelda avatars and for some reason it won't change it even though I put the right image URL, hmm

Jzero

olimpia84 said:
I'm trying to use one of those Zelda avatars and for some reason it won't change it even though I put the right image URL, hmm
save it to your desktop and upload it directly to gaf

olimpia84

I finally got it to work! Anyways, this is the avatar I'm using. OOT Link FTW
grwBW.jpg

Roto13

You know, I'm going to be genuinely disappointed if we don't get the rest of the 3DS Ambassador games this week and Minish Cap isn't one of them.

senador

Banned
Roto13 said:
You know, I'm going to be genuinely disappointed if we don't get the rest of the 3DS Ambassador games this week and Minish Cap isn't one of them.

I would love that. That would mean I wouldn't have to look into...other means of playing it.

Have we heard anything for a while about GBA Ambassador games? I would like a status update from Nintendo.

Roto13

They said to connect your eShop account to your Club Nintendo account by the 27th if you want coins for the Ambassador Games, which sounds like a pretty strong hint that we'll be getting them with the shop update on Thursday. In typical Nintendo fashion, they haven't actually announced the release date yet, but that might never happen. :p

I think Minish Cap has a good chance because you can get Link to the Past on the Wii VC (and probably eventually on the 3DS VC if they ever add SNES games) and Four Swords is already available for free anyway. Also it's still Zelda's 25th Anniversary.

It would also be another drop in the Skyward Sword hype bucket for several reasons.

ExMachina said:
Thanks for sharing that pic, Mistle! Been waiting since we first saw the points card with that art...

Post if you take one, don't quote all the images, etc.

FOHVN.jpg

I'll go with excited Skyward Sword Link. : )

The whole image is downright incredible.

KingDirk

ExMachina said:
Thanks for sharing that pic, Mistle! Been waiting since we first saw the points card with that art...

Post if you take one, don't quote all the images, etc.

Some of 'em are really quick cleanups/cutouts, so if you're gonna use one and you want it fixed up more just let me know.

AVAILABLE
5I6qr.jpg

Claimed, many thanks. Good Ol' Lobstershirt ain't got no idea what's goin' on.

Oxx

I think it's finally time to man-up and
use a walkthrough to
finish Spirit Tracks.

I think I'm in the final section of the Spirit Tower, but it has been a few years and I have forgotten all the capabilities of the Zelda/Link tag-team.

Edit: Gah! If anything, using a FAQ makes it even more tedious and annoying.

Roto13

Oxx said:
I think it's finally time to man-up and
use a walkthrough to
finish Spirit Tracks.

I think I'm in the final section of the Spirit Tower, but it has been a few years and I have forgotten all the capabilities of the Zelda/Link tag-team.

Edit: Gah! If anything, using a FAQ makes it even more tedious and annoying.
I had to use a guide. It was probably the toughest puzzle in a Zelda game outside of a couple of stupid cheap ones in the NES games.

Oxx

I'm hating it. There's no way I would have remembered the abilities of all the different phantoms without a guide, but I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it first time around either.

Oxx

Spirit Tracks will be the death of me. I probably should have tried to finish Majora instead.

There's no way in hell I'm going back to Phantom Hourglass.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm cutting it close with Twilight Princess. If I don't start it soon, I'll never have it beat by Skyward Sword time. At least Xenoblade is done..

sphinx

the piano man
Yesterday I decided to unwrap the LoZ:OoT 3DS copy I was wanting to sell on ebay. Since ebayers are morons and will pay good money regardless of whether the copy is new or used, I decided to give it a try.

What a bad impression.

.- Child link is butt ugly.
.- Maybe it's my fault but can't seem to press straight up and link keeps running to the side.
.- Pressing the screen in order to change stuff is as annoying as pressing start in a GCN or N46 controller. Definitely not a game to control on a handheld, it was cumbersome the hour I was playing it.
.- Not a looker at all, I must say, and defintiely not the game to showcase the technical capacities of the 3DS, whatever they are.

Overall, what I thought it was going to be the whole time: a lazy, modest port that shall appeal to those with different hands and that never have played the game before on far better hardware.

The GCN collector's edition remains my definite version. I think I'lll just sell this and get it over with, I don't see myself playing it in the next months or anytime, to be honest.

Anth0ny

sphinx said:
Yesterday I decided to unwrap the LoZ:OoT 3DS copy I was wanting to sell on ebay. Since ebayers are morons and will pay good money regardless of whether the copy is new or used, I decided to give it a try.

What a bad impression.

.- Child link is butt ugly.
.- Maybe it's my fault but can't seem to press straight up and link keeps running to the side.
.- Pressing the screen in order to change stuff is as annoying as pressing start in a GCN or N46 controller. Definitely not a game to control on a handheld, it was cumbersome the hour I was playing it.
.- Not a looker at all, I must say, and defintiely not the game to showcase the technical capacities of the 3DS, whatever they are.

Overall, what I thought it was going to be the whole time: a lazy, modest port that shall appeal to those with different hands and that never have played the game before on far better hardware.

The GCN collector's edition remains my definite version. I think I'lll just sell this and get it over with, I don't see myself playing it in the next months or anytime, to be honest.

I agree. I know they were trying to go for the whole "OOT art" look, but he comes off looking like a derp.

N64/GC version is still the definitive version for me.

sphinx

the piano man
Anth0ny said:
I agree. I know they were trying to go for the whole "OOT art" look, but he comes off looking like a derp.

N64/GC version is still the definitive version for me.

I don't get the point of this port. It is inferior in every way compared to at least one pre-existing version of the game. It has no new content and it doesn't uses the 3DS's features in any meaningful or susbstantial way.

why waste resources here?

I just hope newer generations think different from me and enjoy the game like I did back in the day.

Roto13

It's actually a ground-up remake. And it's not like Ocarina of Time needed a lot of changes. It's still one of the best games ever made.

I don't know how anyone could prefer the original version. The 3DS one is almost exactly the same except better in some very objective ways....

Anth0ny

Roto13 said:
It's actually a ground-up remake. And it's not like Ocarina of Time needed a lot of changes. It's still one of the best games ever made.

I don't know how anyone could prefer the original version. The 3DS one is almost exactly the same except better in some very objective ways....

They made some artistic changes in the 3DS version that I totally disagree with. Besides the aforementioned changes to the Young Link/Link's model, off the top of my head, the final battle with Ganon has some changes that look like shit.

Comparison shot.

Oh, and I prefer the N64/Gamecube controller to the 3DS and it's touchscreen.

The framerate alone makes OoT3D the superior version.

Anyhow, just in the middle of the
extra floors of the Spirit Tower
in Soirit Tracks. Some of these puzzles are downright fiendish and I solved them all before!

CassSept

I've started my second attempt on Phantom Hourglass and goddammit. Is the dungeon design so bland up until the very end? I just can't take it, it's just so abysmal, really, that's LoZ-level. And don't even get me started on difficulty.

Boney

Banned
sphinx said:
I don't get the point of this port. It is inferior in every way compared to at least one pre-existing version of the game. It has no new content and it doesn't uses the 3DS's features in any meaningful or susbstantial way.

why waste resources here?

I just hope newer generations think different from me and enjoy the game like I did back in the day.
what the fuck is this shit

Andrex said:
You mean to make it higher poly and actually resemble the official art?
pig nose link is better because it has uh a pig nose

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Anth0ny said:
Yeah. Higher poly is fine but making it resemble the official art results in

am_i_kawaii_uguu_8631.jpg

I'm pretty sure it doesn't result in a broken image link, but opinions and all that.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Guys Mario in Mario 64 looks so much better than his stupid Mario Galaxy model!! Screw official art, who the hell do these official artists think they are?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I actually originally typed SM64DS but I changed it to Galaxy to make it more outrageous. But this reflects my original post and is actually a better analogy for Roto13 and Anth0ny's craziness.

sphinx

the piano man
lol at guys posting comparison pics to counterargument my comments.

Yeah, Child Link model is ugly, in my opinion, but that doesn't make the game inferior to the pre-existing versions.

In Oot 3D, Link moves slowly and it's a bit hard/annoying to control him with the 3ds's analog stick, which will never be as responsive and confortable as the analog stick of the N46 or the GCN. Pressing the the L button to reset the camera is annoying because I don't normally have any finger in there so I have to place my hands in ways I don't feel very comfortable.

to me framerate means nothing, I don't even notice it and as for graphics, both are o.k., yeah softer, eye-friendlier stuff on 3DS but in general not too dissimliar to call them "light years apart", I personally don't care for the looks of either game as of now, the gameplay stands the test of time and I basically don't mind jaggies or blocky graphics, etc.

I only saw kokiri forest and deku tree temple so that's my reference, maybe I should pay more to see more (meaningful) differences.

Top Bottom