• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Community Thread: Timelines, Retreads and Colors Oh My

senador

Banned
My first Twilight Princess (GameCube version) play through is about 75% through now. Since I last posted I've played the Lakebed Temple, Arbiter's Grounds, Snowpeak Ruins, and Temple of Time (save for the boss).

While parts of it are really fun, I am now just trying to complete it to finish it. There are a lot of annoying things in this game. The controls can be loose and unresponsive. I get stuck on textures. Setting targeting to "switch" makes it so I can't get away and I found I got stuck in sand during Arbiter's Ground and forced me to swap to "hold". If I fall of an edge I have to move the camera and guess at the perfect mystery angle to climb back up. Save for a few parts I've found the in between dungeons to be very boring and irritating. Gah, I think this will be my only play through. I really hate the battles with the Twili. Its not fun to try to get them close enough to knock out and I totally hate the scream the last one does.

The dungeons are fairly good though. Lakebed was cool looking and had some clever puzzles. It did get confusing though, and like EatChildren mentioned, there are too many rupee chests. Since my wallet was full I kept going back to the same ones since I couldn't take them and had to memorize "bad" ones.

Arbiter's Grounds was pretty cool. I liked its aesthetics and puzzles. The second half was a lot of fun and the boss fight was really pretty good. I did have some problems I mentioned before with getting stuck on textures and in the sand due to the targeting.

Snowpeak Ruins was great. I loved snowboarding over to it. The way the dungeon was set up to not exactly feel like one was awesome. It was unique and had some great gameplay through it. One of my favorites.

Temple of Time sucked. I didn't enjoy it, and really did not like guiding the statue around. I'm about to go into the boss when I fire it up again.

It bums me out that the
Master Sword
doesn't have much story behind it, and feels kind of insignificant, unless I missed something.

I do like the visual style and think it'd be cool to see an HD game with this style, but I also like all the visual styles so whatever.

WillyFive

No, no on-rails stuff. I don't like it.

Wind Waker is my ideal Zelda overworld due to how effective it was at conveying exploration and adventure. Not saying they should make it on a boat and sailing again, I just want it to be as good as that.

Skyward Sword's looks great though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
shadyspace said:
Anybody have any good official and/or fanart of TP Link sans hat? He actually looks like a badass without the stupid hat.

eRng1.jpg

Ranchers are badass.

So I started a new playthrough of Spirit Tracks on the weekend. I'm on the third level of the tower (just beat the Snow Temple) and I'm reminded why I love this game so much. The dungeons and music are incredible and I can't get enough of rooting around in different nooks and crannies for treasure. Also, the in-game economy is such that even though the game throws rupees at you so that you never really run dry of your health items and the like, you have to save your pennies in order to buy the good items. Infinite wallet is great.

MrDaravon

Alright, I'm wondering if I should try to slog through WW and/or TP before playing SS. Some explanation:

LttP is still my favorite Zelda game, and I've played all the older ones but I've always had a hard time getting into the 3D ones. I played through and beat OoT when it first came out and enjoyed it, but not as much as most people seem to. I never messed around with MM really, and I've tried twice to get into Wind Waker, and haven't really messed around that much with Twilight Princess, but for some reason I just can't get into them. It's nothing to do with the artstyle (WW), and I get why people enjoy them, but it just has never clicked for me. I went through Minish Cap a few years ago and freaking loved it, so I don't know if it's just that for whatever reason I like my Zelda in 2D or what.

From what little I've seen of SS it looks pretty great; but realistically is it a good idea to try to "force" myself through WW/TP before playing SS or just not worry about it? It's one of those things where I I look at them I feel like I'm missing out, and I have weird hangups about playing all of the games in a series before playing the latest one. But also at this point if I do that I don't even know when I would get to SS either.

About halfway through a Zelda II playthrough. It's actually a really good game, but very unforgiving. And while I'm glad that the series went with the first Zelda's design instead of Zelda II's, I can't help but feel that it would be a much better appreciated game if it was its own IP instead of a sequel to a game it more or less threw everything from out.

EDIT: I think it'd actually be pretty neat to have a split side series entitled "The Adventure of Link: XXXXX" or whatever.

SailorDaravon said:
Alright, I'm wondering if I should try to slog through WW and/or TP before playing SS. Some explanation:

LttP is still my favorite Zelda game, and I've played all the older ones but I've always had a hard time getting into the 3D ones. I played through and beat OoT when it first came out and enjoyed it, but not as much as most people seem to. I never messed around with MM really, and I've tried twice to get into Wind Waker, and haven't really messed around that much with Twilight Princess, but for some reason I just can't get into them. It's nothing to do with the artstyle (WW), and I get why people enjoy them, but it just has never clicked for me. I went through Minish Cap a few years ago and freaking loved it, so I don't know if it's just that for whatever reason I like my Zelda in 2D or what.

From what little I've seen of SS it looks pretty great; but realistically is it a good idea to try to "force" myself through WW/TP before playing SS or just not worry about it? It's one of those things where I I look at them I feel like I'm missing out, and I have weird hangups about playing all of the games in a series before playing the latest one. But also at this point if I do that I don't even know when I would get to SS either.
Unless you just want to complete them for the sake of completing them, you shouldn't really force yourself to play a game that you don't enjoy.

If you never really got into the 3D Zeldas, you might want to wait and read some reviews and impressions before committing to it.

Rikkun

Green Mamba said:
About halfway through a Zelda II playthrough. It's actually a really good game, but very unforgiving. And while I'm glad that the series went with the first Zelda's design instead of Zelda II's, I can't help but feel that it would be a much better appreciated game if it was its own IP instead of a sequel to a game it more or less threw everything from out.

EDIT: I think it'd actually be pretty neat to have a split side series entitled "The Adventure of Link: XXXXX" or whatever.

The adventures of Link: Demon Souls

It even got two sequels. A reboot, called just Demon's Souls and a reboot sequel, Dark Souls.

Green Mamba said:

You have a better time of it if you grind at the beginning, but ignore all the stat upgrades except for Attack. When the level-up thing comes up and it gives you the option to upgrade your health or magic, choose cancel instead until you can upgrade your attack.

Basically, Attack should always be your first priority because you live a lot longer if you can one or two-hit kill your enemies.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
You have a better time of it if you grind at the beginning, but ignore all the stat upgrades except for Attack. When the level-up thing comes up and it gives you the option to upgrade your health or magic, choose cancel instead until you can upgrade your attack.

Basically, Attack should always be your first priority because you live a lot longer if you can one or two-hit kill your enemies.
Yeah, I realized this pretty early on. That said, there came points were I more or less needed to upgrade magic or health. There are some enemies that I still haven't really gotten the hang of fighting, specifically the blue Iron Knuckles that shoot beams and the knights that throw ball and chains.

That said, all of my stats are currently at six or so, so there's not much more to go in terms of raising.

EDIT: Oh, and fuck Tektites up a wall.

Green Mamba said:
Yeah, I realized this pretty early on. That said, there came points were I more or less needed to upgrade magic or health. There are some enemies that I still haven't really gotten the hang of fighting, specifically the blue Iron Knuckles that shoot beams and the knights that throw ball and chains.

That said, all of my stats are currently at six or so, so there's not much more to go in terms of raising.

EDIT: Oh, and fuck Tektites up a wall.
Oh yeah. Those guys are annoying. The only thing to do with them is to duck and jump from afar and use the shield/heal spells as much as possible. Also, jumping forward and stabbing while in the air works on pretty much everything with a head.

In the end, I just brute force it.

Just ignore the Tektites and the fire lizard guys. You never have to kill them to beat the game.

Anth0ny

I was considering playing through Majora's Mask while I wait for SS. But then I realized I'd have my hands full with Sonic Generations, Mario 3D Land and Kirby Wii. Not to mention I'm playing through Minish Cap right now.

I could get it done, but I wouldn't be able to take my time, collect masks and do side quests. Fuck that!

Gravijah

Link Man said:
Is it fair to point out how INCREDIBLY STUPID it is for a rancher to wear sandals while on the job?

only if you point out how stupid it is for someone who basically amounts to a knight wearing a tunic.

Link Man

Banned
Gravijah said:
only if you point out how stupid it is for someone who basically amounts to a knight wearing a tunic.
Agility and evasion are far more important in a combat situation. Link is not a tank, after all.

Rehynn

Professor Beef said:

Majora is meant to be played in AT LEAST hour-long sessions. You just can't pick it up for 10 or 30 minutes, it does not work in short bursts. It requires the more dedication, patience and attention than pretty much any other Zelda game.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Rehynn said:
Majora is meant to be played in AT LEAST hour-long sessions. You just can't pick it up for 10 or 30 minutes, it does not work in short bursts. It requires the more dedication, patience and attention than pretty much any other Zelda game.

I don't see the issue. Nintendo's core demographic, like people who picked up Ocarina 3D, are not always in it for fifteen minute play sessions. And you're able to close your 3DS if you do have to stop playing suddenly, without having to save / return to dawn of the first day.

It would be fine.

EvilMario said:
I don't see the issue. Nintendo's core demographic, like people who picked up Ocarina 3D, are not always in it for fifteen minute play sessions. And you're able to close your 3DS if you do have to stop playing suddenly, without having to save / return to dawn of the first day.

It would be fine.
Yeah, I agree. There are plenty of long-form games on the DS and PSP which work just fine, and we're going to see many more on the Vita and the 3DS. Console ports can work on portable systems.

--

In other news, I just got the
Double Clawshot
in the City in the Sky on my second playthrough of TP. One of the things I'm noticing this time around is the many wonderful death animations in the game, and not just for dungeon bosses. Several of the minibosses have really comical death sequences where they spin around, clasp their chest, etc. before falling over and exploding. I hope the team working on SS paid as much attention to detail; given the gorgeous animations in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, I'm hopeful.

Rehynn said:
If that's the case, then why do I own FFTactics on PSP? Or Pokemon, or any of the Ace Attorney games, or FF7-9, etc...

Roto13

Ocarina of Time isn't particularly suited to short bursts of play, either. YOu even start off in Link's House or the Temple of Time every time you save outside of a dungeon.

Rehynn

Roto13 said:
Ocarina of Time isn't particularly suited to short bursts of play, either. YOu even start off in Link's House or the Temple of Time every time you save outside of a dungeon.

That's right, it doesn't work as well as a portable game as, say, Star Fox 64. I only played Ocarina 3D in my bed at night.

Professor Beef said:
If that's the case, then why do I own FFTactics on PSP? Or Pokemon, or any of the Ace Attorney games, or FF7-9, etc...

Pokémon, and especially Ace Attorney are great handheld games. The save system in the latter is especially portable-friendly.

Boney

Banned
Roto13 said:
you also start inside dungeons and you get warp points later on. The first hour and a half maybe, just before you enter Dodongo's carvern can be a pain, but there's no reason you can't use sleep mode.

mdtauk

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Just got to the Ocean Realm in Spirit Tracks. Just gonna say that
Linebeck
is awesome.

Linebeck
is great in
Phantom Hourglass
, one of the great Zelda Characters

If I get the time, I'm going to replay Minish Cap before I get Skyward Sword. Will be tough considering all the games coming out (and I'm barely halfway through Xenoblade despite playing over 40 hours) but I should be able to clock it in one night or two.

I figured it'd be a good lead in to Skyward Sword - similar art design and mood, same director, awesome game.

sphinx

the piano man
what do you guys think is the best kept, hardest secret to unveil in a Zelda game?

I mean, like a bombable, unsuspected wall or treasures chest in places where nobody would ever figure out there is one there or maybe just a bunch of standing rupees where you said " damn nintendo even covered this place with stuff up for the grabs"

sphinx said:
what do you guys think is the best kept, hardest secret to unveil in a Zelda game?

I mean, like a bombable, unsuspected wall or treasures chest in places where nobody would ever figure out there is one there or maybe just a bunch of standing rupees where you said " damn nintendo even covered this place with stuff up for the grabs"
Not so much a secret but I think there's an optional room filled with rupees in Ganon's Tower (ALTTP) that has to be accessed by using the bounce back effect of running into an object with the Pegasus boots to get over a hole on the floor.
If this room is a figment of my imagination then i'm sure the GBA exclusive dungeon required that technique as well at some point.
Point is that solution baffled me for ages keeping that room hidden from me.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Nocturnowl said:
Not so much a secret but I think there's an optional room filled with rupees in Ganon's Tower (ALTTP) that has to be accessed by using the bounce back effect of running into an object with the Pegasus boots to get over a hole on the floor.
If this room is a figment of my imagination then i'm sure the GBA exclusive dungeon required that technique as well at some point.

Chris Houlihan room, and you can get to it other ways, like dashing to the hole near the castle you drop down in the beginning of the game.

sphinx

the piano man
Nocturnowl said:

I jsut have the GBA version of ALTTP so I don't know what dungeon you mean, can you point me to it?

as for secrets, there is tomb in ocarina of time where there is nothing but a re-dead and nothing else, if I remember correctly.
I then read in a guide that you had to play a song to get a container heart piece... WTH, I would never in my life had found it on my own.

yrZ5U.gif
PAGING TSA
yrZ5U.gif

Aonuma:
But thanks to this mechanical item, we decided to expand on that theme, which gave birth to the ancient civilization that is part of the backdrop this time.

Kobayashi:
That's right.

Aonuma:
At first, we weren't thinking about having an advanced ancient civilization be part of the milieu. As you can tell from a rocket fist. (laughs)

Iwata:
(laughs) So if you hadn't thought of rocket fists, the game wouldn't have involved an ancient civilization?

Aonuma:
It may have been quite different.

Iwata:
Ah…I think we'll make this section's title "Rocket Fists Give Birth to an Ancient Civilization." (laughs)

Everyone:
(laughs)

Fujibayashi:
But that's really how the ancient civilization came about, and then we could play it out, saying, "Let's make this person a robot," and "Let's make this place ancient ruins."

Iwata:
It is true that we don't make The Legend of Zelda games based on a story. The process is the exact opposite of thinking up a story at the start, coming up with various settings, and writing a proposal. Of course, both ways are valid.

Roto13

sphinx said:

That one upgrade in Ocarina of Time that's only available between getting the third Spiritual Stone and putting them on the Altar of Time and getting the Master Sword. :p

Top Bottom