• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Community Thread: Timelines, Retreads and Colors Oh My

sphinx said:
I just have the GBA version of ALTTP so I don't know what dungeon you mean, can you point me to it?

as for secrets, there is tomb in ocarina of time where there is nothing but a re-dead and nothing else, if I remember correctly.
I then read in a guide that you had to play a song to get a container heart piece... WTH, I would never in my life had found it on my own.

Well for the Ganon's tower thing I just jumped on my gba version, discovered numerous locked doors an unentered rooms, got lost and gave up my hunt for the elusive room I was thinking of, maybe it just never existed. (Though Andrex is right about there being the hidden Chris Houlihan room in the game, if that's what you're now searching for I don't know how its reached or if it's in both versions, I always thought it was a glitch or something)

As for the GBA dungeon, that would be "palace of the four sword" located in the dark worlds pyramid, it could only be entered if you had also beat four swords, fortunately for me I had a multiplayer companion so I could gain access to those hallowed halls, the dungeon had a puzzle that stumped the hell out of me that was solved by using the Pegasus boots in a very different manner to the norm, I thought when I last went through ALTTP I came across the same puzzle in Ganon's tower leading me to a pointless room that had nothing of worth except some money but I may very well be going mad.

Mistle

EmCeeGramr said:
yrZ5U.gif
PAGING TSA
yrZ5U.gif
When/where is this from?
Because that last line by Iwata pretty muchs sums up what I and a lot of other people have been saying about Zelda games. Seems to be gameplay first, then build a story around that. Sure, some parts may purposefully link up to other games, but it's really not that important.

Big One

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
yrZ5U.gif
PAGING TSA
yrZ5U.gif
I think everyone already knows this.

This doesn't mean the Zelda team doesn't put effort into the story. I mean christ Zelda games are full of story and cutscenes. Why would someone put so much effort into writing a script and plot that shit if they didn't care?

Big One said:
I think everyone already knows this.

This doesn't mean the Zelda team doesn't put effort into the story. I mean christ Zelda games are full of story and cutscenes. Why would someone put so much effort into writing a script and plot that shit if they didn't care?
That wasn't what I was getting at at all.

Meohsix

HI Zelda GAF! Hope you guys don't mind me posting my Zelda collection :p

QroF1.png

ujX7N.png

rHlav.jpg

xfG8V.png

xRKdu.png

Some things,
The gameboy games are housed inside DS cases with custom printed box art from the cover project

Links crossbow training is also custom printed because i couldn't stand the small cd sized cardboard sleeve it came in

The gold dvd case (which was a BITCH to find) is what i will be putting skyward sword into

not pictured are game guides, i have a some... and id like to have one for each game but there are a few that are pretty rare and expensive when they show up on ebay =/ (the last few ALTTP snes guides ive seen were going for $30+)

and yes i don't have the two NES Classics for the GBA. they are next on the purchase list. (which means i have to order two more ds cases and print out two more covers :p )
And im also keeping my eyes out for a non holographic Majoras Mask. its a shame they never did a grey version.

Green Mamba said:
The area leading up to the Great Palace in Zelda II is just killing me.
Get yourself map and stock up on lives before you attempt it. Getting through it is the important thing because when you gaming over at the Great Palace, you get to start there too.

sphinx

the piano man
Green Mamba said:
The area leading up to the Great Palace in Zelda II is just killing me.

once you get into the red swamp, may god have mercy and help you out.

I memorized every single move in orther to avoid as many enemy encounters as possible and once in the caves I just ran and ran avoiding everything. Once you reach the great palace is kinda easier.. a bit.

Gravijah

the lead up to the great palace is just hell. when i finally got through it, reached the great palace, died, and then found out you restart inside.. so happy

sphinx said:
once you get into the red swamp, may god have mercy and help you out.

I memorized every single move in orther to avoid as many enemy encounters as possible and once in the caves I just ran and ran avoiding everything. Once you reach the great palace is kinda easier.. a bit.
Jump spell helps a LOT. Seriously.

You start at the Great Palace if you Game Over there? Whew, that's a relief. I was beginning to think I'd never be able to beat the game if I can't even reach the palace itself.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Just finished Twilight Princess for the first time ever. Playing the Wii version.

There were some annoyances, but all in all it's a pretty good experience. If I must rate it between 0 - 10, I'll give it around 7.5 to 8.

My rating for all the dungeons in the game (except for the Cave of Ordeals, I did not bother to try it):

City in the Sky > Arbiter's Grounds > Snowpeak Ruins > Lakebed Temple > Goron Mines > Forest Temple > Temple of Time > Hyrule Castle > Palace of Twilight.

I hated the back and forth in this game (for example the Hidden Village -> Kakariko -> Hidden Village or the recharge for the Dominion Rod or the Tears collecting) and the necessity to transform to Wolf form. I dislike going back and forth from Human form to wolf form and vice versa in some of the dungeons like Arbiter's Grounds or Snowpeak Ruins.

Oh yeah, how the camera swerving upwards every time you are at the edge of something, very annoying. And the game's piss easy too--the epicness of the Dragon boss in City in the Sky was reduced somewhat by how easy the battle can be won.

But all in all quite enjoyable, and I finished it without any guide/walkthrough as well, so it's quite satisfactory.

Here's hoping Skyward Sword can improve upon this game by leaps and bounds!

CassSept

I want moore freee tiime.

So anyway, I've finally progressed with my MM playthrough and huh, Great Bay Temple was much easier than I've remembered. 5 years ago I got completely stuck all the time, being confused by what the hell was happening around me (seriously, Ocarina's Water Temple got nothing on it) and after that being nastily treated by Gyorg. Now I'd go as far as saying I breezed through it and Gyorg, while still was kind of a challenge, didn't even use up a single fairy.

Majora is fantastic through and through though. Even better than I've remembered.

On the other hand, I fell into abyss and am already overhyped for SS. Not good.

senador

Banned
I am on the final castle in TP. I so want to be done with this game. As I've said before I like a lot of it, but its mostly felt like 1 big chore. I really hope that SS is more tight and smooth in general and has really stable and fluid controls. It bothers me that I felt like I didn't get much story until near the end and by then it felt too week or a little too late. I know what they say about their stories in games, but I really hope that SS has a good story and keeps me going on fun.

Got through the Earth Temple in Wind Waker. God do I hate it. Just so tedious
carrying Medli everywhere.
* I forget how the Wind Temple is...gonna find out tonight.

*Spoiler tag just incase.

IceDoesntHelp said:
Got through the Earth Temple in Wind Waker. God do I hate it. Just so tedious
carrying Medli everywhere.
* I forget how the Wind Temple is...gonna find out tonight.

*Spoiler tag just incase.
I hated the Wind Temple, but the Earth Temple was far and away my favorite dungeon in TWW.

Anyway, I finally beat Zelda II for the first time. The Great Palace and the lead up to it are just sadistic. The fact that you can restart at the beginning of the Great Palace after a Game Over there is the one odd bit of mercy the game throws at you, and I am very greatful for it.

But these things, man:
FokkaBlue.gif

I finally get used to fighting beam shooting Iron Knuckles and now you throw variations of them that can randomly jump? Fuck that shit. After a Game Over (or two) I started just avoiding them.

And I can't be the only one who sees nipples on the other bird enemies, am I?
Fokkeru.gif

Once I got to the end I found the Thunderbird and Dark Link to be surprisingly easy.

EDIT: Now on to beat The Minish Cap. And I think I should probably get and beat Spirit Tracks before Skyward Sword comes out. If I have the time.

senador

Banned
I finished my first TP play through today. I am glad I played it but also super glad to be done. I was telling my friend about it and said "75% of the dungeons and bosses are pretty awesome, the rest is bullshit". That about sums up my thoughts.

I have some questions on the story. I'll spoiler them in case.
So Midna is a sexy princess?! At the end when the twinkle dust goes back to Zelda, she says something about them sharing heart. So in the castle when Zelda disappeared and Midna was strengthened, were they joined or did Zelda become Midna til the end?

The end was mostly satisfying and getting some story filled in, but I felt the rest of the game was too weak on the story and didn't offer me much. it kinda bummed me out for Skyward actually. I hope its as good as we keep hearing.

Also, I liked the Twilight Palace because of its visuals. It was all sci fi looking and as a big Halo fan it reminded me of Forerunner structures. Pretty cool.

Big One

Banned
senador said:
I have some questions on the story. I'll spoiler them in case.
So Midna is a sexy princess?! At the end when the twinkle dust goes back to Zelda, she says something about them sharing heart. So in the castle when Zelda disappeared and Midna was strengthened, were they joined or did Zelda become Midna til the end?
It's implied that Zelda gave the Triforce of Wisdom to Midna to restore her back to normal (remember when she was sick?). I think that's what it may be referring to.

Green Mamba said:
I hated the Wind Temple, but the Earth Temple was far and away my favorite dungeon in TWW.

Anyway, I finally beat Zelda II for the first time. The Great Palace and the lead up to it are just sadistic. The fact that you can restart at the beginning of the Great Palace after a Game Over there is the one odd bit of mercy the game throws at you, and I am very greatful for it.

But these things, man:
FokkaBlue.gif

I finally get used to fighting beam shooting Iron Knuckles and now you throw variations of them that can randomly jump? Fuck that shit. After a Game Over (or two) I started just avoiding them.

And I can't be the only one who sees nipples on the other bird enemies, am I?
Fokkeru.gif

Once I got to the end I found the Thunderbird and Dark Link to be surprisingly easy.

EDIT: Now on to beat The Minish Cap. And I think I should probably get and beat Spirit Tracks before Skyward Sword comes out. If I have the time.
What spell load-out did you use on Thunderbird? It makes a BIG difference.

Also, Thunderbird was WAY harder than Dark Link since you can cheese him by
standing in the corner, ducking and repeatedly stabbing so he impales himself on your sword.

I went Thunder, Shield, Jump, Reflect. Worked well enough. And yeah, I didn't even have to try against Dark Link. Thunderbird at least put up a bit of a fight, but he was still pretty easy compared to the Valley of Death (Zelda Wiki tells me this is the area before Great Palace) and the Great Palace itself.

EDIT: I forgot to add that try as I might, I couldn't see the health healers in towns as anything other than something like this is suggesting. Which kind of puts the magic healer houses in a gross light.

senador

Banned
Big One said:
It's implied that Zelda gave the Triforce of Wisdom to Midna to restore her back to normal (remember when she was sick?). I think that's what it may be referring to.

Gotcha.

I haz another question. What's up with Gannondorf and Zant and how do they fit in together?

One of my favorite parts of TP was beating a boss and having the this music play. It was really satisfying and calming.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
senador said:
I haz another question. What's up with Gannondorf and Zant and how do they fit in together?

Zant was a run-of-the-mill Twili who hated the fate of his tribe and longed to seek revenge on Hylians/whoever was living in the world of the light.

Ganondorf was 'executed' by the Sages, banished to the Twilight Realm for his crimes.

Ganondrof, in possession of great dark power, saw Zant as a tool to use for his escape, and granted Zant control over his black magic.

Rekubot

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Just opened up the Fire Realm in Spirit Tracks. I don't remember where I'm supposed to get the freight car from, which is stopping me from doing a bunch of sidequests :/
Don't you get it from inside the fire realm? Just keep playing the story, it's a compulsory pickup.

EatChildren said:
Zant was a run-of-the-mill Twili who hated the fate of his tribe and longed to seek revenge on Hylians/whoever was living in the world of the light.

Ganondorf was 'executed' by the Sages, banished to the Twilight Realm for his crimes.

Ganondrof, in possession of great dark power, saw Zant as a tool to use for his escape, and granted Zant control over his black magic.

Don't forget that Zant hated Midna and the Twilight Royal Family for denying him the throne that he believed was rightfully his.

And Ganondorf was sent to the Twilight realm as a last ditch effort to stop Ganondorf because by some divine prank was given the Triforce of Power and survived his execution.

Tyeforce

Andrex said:
It's sort of weird to me to see new official art of Zelda 1 and 2 Links. :p
What do you mean Zelda 1 and 2 Links? There's only one Link to represent both games, as they feature the same Link.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Tyeforce said:
What do you mean Zelda 1 and 2 Links? There's only one Link to represent both games, as they feature the same Link.

Oh I meant Zelda 1 and 3 then. I confused them having different Zeldas for different Links. :3

Tyeforce

Andrex said:
Oh I meant Zelda 1 and 3 then. I confused them having different Zeldas for different Links. :3
Oh, yeah, there are only Links for every separate incarnation of Link (plus a few transformations, etc.), not for every Zelda game.

In case anyone isn't familiar with every Link:
LJ9S1.jpg

Tyeforce said:
Oh, yeah, there are only Links for every separate incarnation of Link (plus a few transformations, etc.), not for every Zelda game.

In case anyone isn't familiar with every Link:
http://i.imgur.com/LJ9S1.jpg[/ IMG][/QUOTE]
The one you labelled TWW/PH is just for PH, I think. His WW incarnation is in the bottom left-hand corner (to be clear, they're the same Link).

Got to post this because I never noticed before. For Link's Awakening DX, they replaced the original artist with someone else.

fen4u.jpg

Tubda.jpg

Link looks like the outcome of an inbred A Link to the Past / The Adventure of Link romance.

I was just thinking to myself (after the symphony, strangely enough) that the Zelda series has a lot of really good strong female characters. They don't go out of their way to make them simply into eye-candy. Really nice.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for sharing that pic, Mistle! Been waiting since we first saw the points card with that art...

Post if you take one, don't quote all the images, etc.

Some of 'em are really quick cleanups/cutouts, so if you're gonna use one and you want it fixed up more just let me know.

AVAILABLE

hqOgl.jpg

lu27I.jpg
1YC1m.jpg
DZ0kO.jpg
meuqk.jpg
UVPqG.jpg

PJ1BQ.jpg
IlVx0.jpg
0cmKA.jpg

CLAIMED
grwBW.jpg
olimpia84
FOHVN.jpg
Octorockin'
3AeMu.jpg
Ichor
5I6qr.jpg
KingDirk
o2Cpn.jpg
Red UFO
FsKRL.jpg
mazeedibeedi
NG1c7.jpg
Xiul
Uiv0B.jpg
Ubermatik
mcGTg.jpg
apana

Tyeforce

viciouskillersquirrel said:
The one you labelled TWW/PH is just for PH, I think. His WW incarnation is in the bottom left-hand corner (to be clear, they're the same Link).
That's just TWW Link in his Outset clothes. They threw in some transformations/variations of the same Links, like the MM transformations and Wolf Link from TP, and Outset Link from TWW. And Young Link and Adult Link from OoT are separated, but they're kinda separate Links in a way since they branch off into different timelines.

Top Bottom