• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

KevinCow said:
They still follow the button layout, just in a different way. Notes go low to high from left to right. L, R, Y, X, A.
But that's my point, that's not intuitive. It's intuitive to press a higher button for a higher note, a lower button for a lower note. For some reason they decided that semi-realism was more important than intuitiveness this time.

ciD_Vain

Smiles and Cries said:
damn...
I cannot seem to get Epona I keep messing up the second race argh
I'm not liking the slider controls very much right now - or I just suck... maybe I can visit ah wait that place is frozen right?? okay back to the ranch to keep trying
block his way through most of the race, then spam the carrots towards the end

rhino4evr

Forest Temple completed ...that temple is evil with the keys. Just when you think you've found them all you hit another locked door! Love this game on the go!

Tips on Epona Race..stay on the inside to get an early lead. Once you are in the lead use all the carrots except 1..this allows them to refill faster. Once you have got 3 carrots boost twice..leaving 1 again. If you keep doing this you should have no problems. Make sure to use all boosts on the end stretch for good measure.

eosos

Banned
Dreamwriter said:
But that's my point, that's not intuitive. It's intuitive to press a higher button for a higher note, a lower button for a lower note. For some reason they decided that semi-realism was more important than intuitiveness this time.
I agree. When I had to do that skull kid simon says thing for the heart piece I got all fucked up. :(

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
eosos said:
I agree. When I had to do that skull kid simon says thing for the heart piece I got all fucked up. :(

Pencil & paper is the best thing for this little sidequest. :p

=HERO=

Neo Member
Dechaios said:
Can you wear masks as an adult or is that just a kid thing? I'm wondering how much I should do as Kid Link before I take the plunge and
remove the Master Sword

Anything important besides collect a buttload of gold skulltula tokens?

If this still has the same glitch that was in the other versions, there is actually ONE thing that is missable.
There is a Deku Nut upgrade from wearing the Mask of Truth at the Forest Stage in the Lost Woods that, for some reason, doesn't give it to you once you've pulled the sword.

GJS

=HERO= said:
If this still has the same glitch that was in the other versions, there is actually ONE thing that is missable.
There is a Deku Nut upgrade from wearing the Mask of Truth at the Forest Stage in the Lost Woods that, for some reason, doesn't give it to you once you've pulled the sword.
I don't think the glitch is there any more. I was way past that stage when I went back and got that, I did it when I went to get the Lens of Truth.

=HERO=

Neo Member
GJS said:
Really? I was way past that stage when I went back and got that, I did it when I went to get the Lens of Truth.

Was it in the 3DS version? I've heard that in the older versions you can still get it if you didn't get the other one beforehand.

Just to bring attention to it for the new players: Unless this version is different, there is one upgrade you can miss if you don't get it before you become an adult for the first time.

GJS

=HERO= said:
Was it in the 3DS version? I've heard that in the older versions you can still get it if you didn't get the other one beforehand.

Just to bring attention to it for the new players: Unless this version is different, there is one upgrade you can miss if you don't get it before you become an adult for the first time.
The 3DS version yes.

I completed the adult trading quest before it and
bought the other upgrades from the business shrubs
at the same time.

I also showed the mask of truth first and then the stalfos mask when getting the upgrades from the forest stage if that makes any difference.

=HERO=

Neo Member
GJS said:
The 3DS version yes.

I completed the adult trading quest before it and
bought the other upgrades from the business shrubs
at the same time.

I also showed the mask of truth first and then the stalfos mask when getting the upgrades from the forest stage if that makes any difference.

Well, good then! It always was a weird thing about the game.

Dechaios, if you did happen to already become an adult, make sure to update if you can get this.

Chao

marc^o^ said:
OOT is unbelievable, by today's standards it's unbelievable.

The game came out in freaking 1998. It really is one of the few games on the 32/64 bit generation that holds up to this day gameplay wise. It just doesn't get old.

And of course it is way superior than a lot of shit high budget games on stores right now. It is sad and heartwarming at the same time.

oatmeal

Banned
I was at Target and saw it in stock, it was the first time that i wished I had a 3DS.

I have the UK version, the Japanese version, the US version, VC version, WW pre-order bonus version, and 3 collectors edtions...

I need this.

Gravijah

Is it normal for 3D to... I dunno, make it harder to make out finer details? Plus, things seem... grainy when they are far away in 3D mode. I assume that is from the lack of AA.

In Forest Temple when you get the boss key is it suppose to go in the item list. I have opened the chest but can't see the key so I am stuck at the Boss door.

Dunno if I have a glitch!

SmithnCo

kobashi100 said:
In Forest Temple when you get the boss key is it suppose to go in the item list. I have opened the chest but can't see the key so I am stuck at the Boss door.

Well that's messed up. Try making sure the chest is open I guess, if it is and you can't open the door it must be a glitch.

ombz said:
Sorry if this has been posted already:
Here's a Link to an image of rupees you can print for your case.
I wish NOA would have done this for us :(
http://tinycartridge.com/post/6833670163/want-that-special-ocarina-of-time-3d-insert-that

I was disappointed when I opened the case and there were no rupees. :(

SmithnCo said:

Did the US get the gold case for pre-orderers? I have rupees inside my gold case

People having trouble with the 3D... I've noticed that I can 'lose' the effect more easily when the 3d volume is 100%. The in-game cameras are furthest apart at that volume, so it would stand to reason that its easier to see them as separate overlapping images with each image being so different.

Most of the time I'm ok with it myself, so I do use 100% volume, but there have been one or two moments where I've had to refocus when at that volume... I tend to play at around 50% volume most of the time. You should really find a comfortable playing volume; you might think that maximum volume gives the images more depth, and to some extent its true - but think about it: would you move your real-life eyes further apart for a more-in-depth view of real life if you could? They're already at the optimal distance apart to provide you with depth perception, and you should try and calibrate the 3d volume of 3DS so that its comfortable for those eyes - and not a strain.

I've also noticed that tilting the top of the top screen towards me breaks the 3d effect, but tilting it away from me there is a fair bit of tolerance. Which would make sense based on how people hold these things, but interesting non-the-less.

SmithnCo said:
Well that's messed up. Try making sure the chest is open I guess, if it is and you can't open the door it must be a glitch.

Sorted, I was expecting to see a key so didnt even try open the door. me being dumb! :)

K' Dash

kobashi100 said:

You should be able to open the door with the action button, the key should appear next to the compass and dungeon map iirc.

-PXG-

Fuck Master Quest. I haven't played Majora in years. Booted that shit up. LET'S GO!!!! Time to (re) play the best game in the series.

SmithnCo

Dedication Through Light said:
Wow I wish the game would have gave out bottles more or something, just one bottle for the Ice Temple has been quite tedious and slow for me.

You should go get the two other kid bottles at least, they are easy enough. The one you get as an adult is a little more tedious, you have to hunt big poes.

eosos said:

I actually think it is easier here than in the original since I could make fake words out of groups of buttons; you can't really do that with the c-buttons. It works for some of the ocarina songs, too. For example, Zelda's Lullaby is XAYXAY, or Zay-Zay, which I imagine is the nickname the mustachioed NPC who attempted to sneak into Hyrule Castle gave to his Zelda body pillow.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Fucking big fishes, i hate them. 2 of them bited, and i lost both after spending 2 mins reeling back in with A+R and moving the stick left and right. Ugh. And they take forever to decide when to bite. :(

watershed

Banned
For some reason I'm having a really hard time with the 3d for this game. As I play I keep on getting off center just by slight movements and I see cross talk. And even when I'm holding the system completely still I can see some ghosting. I normally keep my 3d slider at about 3/4 way up but for some reason that doesn't work for this game. I'm adjusting it to find a new sweet spot but somehow the 3d seems a little off most of the time. Kinda sucks cuz I really like the sense of space 3d creates for OoT.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Big Fish Pro Tip that never fails:

1. Stand on log that big fish likes to swim near, the one in the middle of the pond.

2. Cast line, holding R+A while you do it. You'll get an extremely short cast and hopefully land it right on him.

3. Wiggle once, if he bits it you catch the fish. Repeat 1-3 as necessary.

KevinCow

Banned
Dreamwriter said:

I think it was more that they didn't have six face buttons this time, and they still wanted B to be Cancel.

It's different, but don't kid yourself, the reason you find the original way more intuitive is because you have 13 years of experience with it.

I'm with Dreamwriter. The new ocarina button layout sucks ass. It makes no sense at all, especially when compared to the C-button layout on the N64.

It's my only real frustration with the game thus far.

Luigi87

DeathbyVolcano said:
Once Nintendo makes a true, new Zelda for the 3DS, they fucking BETTER keep the gyro-aiming in. That shit was perfect.

I agree.
I thought it was just going to be "meh, motion control aiming on a handheld" not thinking it'd be so accurate, but damn... I absolutely adore using it.

I kinda wish Y was attack and B was the action button, even though B typically isn't the "yes" button, not because it would more closely resemble the N64 button layout but because using A all the time is starting to hurt the joint on my thumb.

And yeah, the ocarina controls are pretty much borked. Tapping the ocarina on the touch screen would have been a better choice for a cancel button than B since most of the time you'll finish a song and exit automatically pretty much negating a need for a cancel button in the first place.

Jeels

Just finished
temple of time and have become adult linl
. This is fun. I'm happy I get to experience it. (First time).

IceMarker

Jeels said:
Just finished
Better late than never. I haven't replayed in about 2 years so this is like it is new for me all over again.

After finishing the shadow temple & finding it quite difficult I realised I should have gone to get the lens of truth before it :|

went through the whole dungeon using hook shot to find the invisible floors. lol

-PXG-

Midnight Believer said:
After finishing the shadow temple & finding it quite difficult I realised I should have gone to get the lens of truth before it :|

went through the whole dungeon using hook shot to find the invisible floors. lol

LOL

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Midnight Believer said:

wooooooooow lol.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Midnight Believer said:

LOL! Oh wow. That's... an interesting way of doing it, I guess.

SmithnCo said:
You should go get the two other kid bottles at least, they are easy enough. The one you get as an adult is a little more tedious, you have to hunt big poes.

Ah it wasnt so bad, as long as no other dungeon requires it I wont get those bottles, the plot is so compelling Id just move on! Ice Cavern was easy, now its time for Water Temple. Fire and Ice were rather easy, so now Im stoked for this one, bring it on!

Jeels said:
Just finished
A friend of mine is experiencing this game for the first time(scratch that, first Zelda game ever) and although he's frustrated over the dificulty of the puzzles and where to go next, he's loving it. Btw he's a youngster so he's used to adventure games holding his hand. I myself haven't played this game since 98/99 so everything is fresh to me also. Nostalgia doesn't describe the feeling i get while playing this game. It's like the graphical upgrade is enough to make this game look exactly how i remember it back then. i shudder to to think of what the actual N64 game looks like nowadays. Zelda Oot....it's like dreaming you are playing the greatest game ever.

Holmes

Dedication Through Light said:
Ah it wasnt so bad, as long as no other dungeon requires it I wont get those bottles, the plot is so compelling Id just move on! Ice Cavern was easy, now its time for Water Temple. Fire and Ice were rather easy, so now Im stoked for this one, bring it on!
So optimistic and full of life for someone who's about to do the Water Temple for the first time. :)

Considering how many times I've done the temple though, it took me <25 minutes to do this time around, same with every other temple. Never played Master Quest, so excited! Should be like playing the dungeons for the first time all over again.

SmithnCo

Midnight Believer said:

Wow, I never even thought about using the hookshot that way. Finding some of the invisible chests must've been annoying, lol.

idwl

Just did the deku tree . Its my first time ever playing this game. Finding it much more enjoyable than TP so far and I loved TP.

KevinCow

Banned
Does anyone else not like how the items rearrange themselves as you select and deselect them? I love how quick the touch screen item switching is, but then I have to spend a couple extra seconds every time making sure things are where they're supposed to be.

Top Bottom