• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

DarkKyo

Can you wear masks as an adult or is that just a kid thing? I'm wondering how much I should do as Kid Link before I take the plunge and
remove the Master Sword

Anything important besides collect a buttload of gold skulltula tokens?

GJS

StickSoldier said:
Haha yeah, I noticed that too, but I've only experienced slow down in there so I didn't know if it was worth mentioning.
Fighting the Leevers at Desert Colossus also slows the game down a considerable amount.

UncleSporky said:
Unless you go into the guard house with all the pots and break them all at once.
Or when you hit
Ganondorf in the first fight
with the Light Arrow. Some cool effects, I think it purposely goes slow for effect.

Oh. And did anyone else notice how some of the special effects aren't as good as the N64 version? For instance, the shadow that comes out from the
well
used to shimmer purple, now it's just a plain, boring shadow. And the very strong fish-eye effect shown here (spoiler) is almost non-existent on the 3DS.

Frillen

Just beat the game with 100 Skulltullas and all heart pieces. Didn't have any problems at all, but then again I've done this 4-5 times already throughout the years. I still feel they could've done a bit more with the graphics. It's a better looking game than the original for sure, and the framerate is nice, but it kinda looks like a Dreamcast game.

Anyway, off to Link's Awakening DX. The only main Zelda game I've never played. To be honest I haven't played Four Swords Adventures either, but is that consider a main Zelda title?

Coen

Frillen said:
Anyway, off to Link's Awakening DX. The only main Zelda game I've never played. To be honest I haven't played Four Swords Adventures either, but is that consider a main Zelda title?

It's considered main line awesome

Dr.Hadji

Frillen said:
played. To be honest I haven't played Four Swords Adventures either, but is that consider a main Zelda title?

I would because its fantastic. If it were bad I wouldn't. I think that's how it goes around here.

Scarecrow

Dechaios said:
Can you wear masks as an adult or is that just a kid thing? I'm wondering how much I should do as Kid Link before I take the plunge and
remove the Master Sword

Anything important besides collect a buttload of gold skulltula tokens?
You can go back to being a kid. Don't worry about missing stuff.

Cathcart

StickSoldier said:
Do you ever find yourself turning off the 3D just to remind you of what it looks like in 2D? I do that a couple of times while I'm playing, and I'm always amazed at how much better it looks with 3D on. I love the window effect that the 3D gives off.
I'm too lazy for that so I just close one eye for a few seconds.

Chao

Do you guys have a hard time keeping the 3D effect focused?
If I make the slightest horizontal tilt on my console I will either lose the 3D effect or see a blurry mess. On the other hand, I can tilt it a vertically all I want and the 3D won't go away.

Chao said:
If I make the slightest horizontal tilt on my console I will either lose the 3D effect or see a blurry mess. On the other hand, I can tilt it a vertically all I want and the 3D won't go away.

Only have a problem with that when I'm selecting items on the touchscreen, but sometimes it happens because I play laying down.

Chao said:
In general that's how it works, it's not that bad for me though (have to tilt a good bit horizontally before getting double vision), maybe you're not playing in your ideal spot? What might also help is adjusting the screen position (pushing it all the way up).

sfried

StickSoldier said:
Do you ever find yourself turning off the 3D just to remind you of what it looks like in 2D? I do that a couple of times while I'm playing, and I'm always amazed at how much better it looks with 3D on. I love the window effect that the 3D gives off.
I don't. I leave 3D on all the time. It's like...the widescreen of widescreen. The depth really does give you a wider viewing angle.

Skilletor

Chao said:

I've decided 3D just isn't for me. The image is always blurry for me. 2D all the time to save myself some eyestrain.

I get a lot of the double vision in this game.

This game is awesome. The 3DS is awesome. I'm kind of amazed by the graphics, especially in 3D. I love turning the lights out and laying on the couch and immersing myself in Hyrule for hours. This is also the tightest and best Zelda game ever IMO

maeda

So any theories on why there is some ghosting in 3D mode? Is it graphical engine issues or is it my brain getting confused?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
maeda said:
So any theories on why there is some ghosting in 3D mode? Is it graphical engine issues or is it my brain getting confused?

My only other 3DS game is SSFIV and i never noticed this, so yeah, i was wondering what was wrong with Zelda. Maybe i dont see it in SSFIV because of the static backgrounds, but who knows.

KevinCow

Banned
maeda said:

It's a 3DS screen issue. It seems to have trouble separating the two images when you have a particularly bright color next to a particularly dark color.

maeda said:
When it happens I turn off 3D for a couple minutes. I assumed it was my eyes/brain and not the 3DS.

Izayoi

Banned
maeda said:
It happens when light and dark contrast. Your brain gets confused on what it should focus on.

Prez

Is there already a picture or video walkthrough of this game? I won't be buying a 3DS for a while but I'd love to see the entire remade game.

Krakatoa

Chao said:

yes I do, I find myself playing it most of the time with the 3d turned off.

damn that Fire Temple and all my sucky falls to the lower floor

boss was easiest I've faced in a while the others kicked my ass at least once before I got them

McNum

Anth0ny said:
Jeez it's so hard to play Ocarina songs on this after 10+ years of C-button muscle memory >_>
Especially Zelda's Lullaby. Although the Water Temple will drill that one into you.

Inkoseh

Neo Member
I'm mostly afraid of forgetting what to do when I reach the bosses.

Also, I DO NOT want to hear the groans of the zombies anymore. As a kid, those noises had me standing at the entrance of the grave cave for hours trying to sneak by..

speaking of songs, I played my Scarecrow Song at the
Fire Temple
as Adult Link it did not work... am I forgetting something do I have to revisit those straw filled fools?

The song plays but he did not show up

maeda said:
yeah it's just a drawback to the whole glasses-less 3D thing. you can just notice it more with dark backgrounds like the entryways in the lost woods. It's nothing to do with the game itself.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
"3D really places you more firmly in the boots of Link understanding the size of his environment, even if you are playing on a 3.5 inch screen this feels and looks like a big screen adventure."

Just read this on this review: http://thegamershub.net/2011/06/the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-3d-review/

...and that's exactly how I feel when I play this game. It makes me forget about the outside world.

OOT is unbelievable, by today's standards it's unbelievable.

GJS

Smiles and Cries said:
speaking of songs, I played my Scarecrow Song at the
Fire Temple
as Adult Link it did not work... am I forgetting something do I have to revisit those straw filled fools?

The song plays but he did not show up
You need to visit Bonooru at the lake once when you are an adult.

Anth0ny said:
Jeez it's so hard to play Ocarina songs on this after 10+ years of C-button muscle memory >_>
It's not even just muscle memory, the original ocarina controls were more intuitive, with the notes going low to high as the buttons went bottom to top. Now the songs require more memorization since the notes don't follow the button layout.

Heh, just cleared the infamous Water Temple with little to no difficulty (first timer).

I'm guessing that the color coding for the doors with the water controls was new, because none of the other dungeons in the game have been that generous with information thus far. For instance, it took me like 15 minutes to figure out that an arrow would set the paintings on fire in the Forest Temple (how does that work, again?).

GJS said:
You need to visit Bonooru at the lake once when you are an adult.

damn...
I cannot seem to get Epona I keep messing up the second race argh
I'm not liking the slider controls very much right now - or I just suck... maybe I can visit ah wait that place is frozen right?? okay back to the ranch to keep trying

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is there any trick to catch those big fishes? I keep taunting them with small movements with either A, B or the slider, yet they keep ignoring meee. While the goddamn small useless fishes only takes a few secs to grab the lure, ugh.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Smiles and Cries said:
damn...
I cannot seem to get Epona I keep messing up the second race argh
I'm not liking the slider controls very much right now - or I just suck... maybe I can visit ah wait that place is frozen right?? okay back to the ranch to keep trying
Just be sure to
always stay close to the fence, never failed for me (as long as you don't keep running into it and losing speed)

KevinCow

Banned
Dreamwriter said:
It's not even just muscle memory, the original ocarina controls were more intuitive, with the notes going low to high as the buttons went bottom to top. Now the songs require more memorization since the notes don't follow the button layout.

They still follow the button layout, just in a different way. Notes go low to high from left to right. L, R, Y, X, A.

Top Bottom