• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
PokéKong said:
Are there any shots of what Grog looks like in this version?

Grog.jpg
I have a powder to give him, but he is no more in the Lost woods. Any tip?

Poyunch

Nope they're different. The Giant's Knife breaks and Biggoron's Sword doesn't. They're also made by two different Gorons.

marc^o^ said:
I have a powder to give him, but he is no more in the Lost woods. Any tip?
Give it to the Kokiri girl that was standing where he used to be.

KevinCow said:
They made two small changes:

1) Iron boots on an item slot so you can switch them without pausing, and
2) Colored guides to help you navigate to the water level change spots.

And suddenly the infamous Water Temple isn't such a pain in the ass anymore. I'd even venture to say that it's... fun?
They also made it so that when you raise the water to the 2nd floor, the cutscene camera very clearly shows the hole where the next key is. And a certain Song of Time block is now in plain sight and not hidden anymore.

If only they did that when I first played the Water Temple...

Poyunch

Why would you do that? said:
They also made it so that when you raise the water to the 2nd floor, the cutscene camera very clearly shows the hole where the next key is. And a certain Song of Time block is now in plain sight and not hidden anymore.

If only they did that when I first played the Water Temple...
I'm kind of annoyed by this. I was so happy that for once I remembered to look there but rather than reward my memory they made it obvious for everyone.

It's fair but still. :p

B-Dex

-PXG- said:
OT

This guy just started doing what seems to be an AMAZING walkthrough of Majora's Mask. The amount of work he's putting into it is impressive. Check it out:

http://www.zeldadungeon.net/Zelda06-majoras-mask-video-walkthrough-01.php

Talk about overdone. Guy is trying way too hard. Writes 5 paragraphs about a 1 minute cutscene and goes on verbatim about how much he knows about 2 seconds from the game, meanwhile the game has moved onto a completely different scene.

ace3skoot

Cathcart said:
So am I the only dude who thought the Water Temple was awesome the first time around?

best puzzles in the game, best mini-boss and awesome mechanics unseen in any game when it was first released, i loved the water temple :) one of the best 3d dungeons ever! i really want a 3ds and this game :(

So let me get this straight:

-You can get the Adult Wallet as a kid with 10 Gold Skulltulas
-The only great fairy you can visit as a kid is the one at Death Mountain that teaches the spin attack
-You can get Epona as soon as you're an adult
-You can get Biggoron's Sword as soon as you get Epona

Basically, I want to get the goodies as soon as they become available.

Luigi87

The Lamonster said:

-The only great fairy you can visit as a kid is the one at Death Mountain that teaches the spin attack

As Young Link you can get the Spin Attack, Din's Fire, and Farore's Wind.

Yes to the others. As such, I always make it a note to get the Biggoron's Sword before the Forest Temple.
... And then never really use it, except for maybe on Floormasters <.<

Luigi87

The Lamonster said:
Can I use Biggoron's Sword for the rest of the game or do I have to equip the Master Sword to fight Ganondorf?

You can use it pretty much the whole game except
the very end of the final boss, in which you need to use the Master Sword

However, since the Biggoron's Sword is two handed, you'll likely take a lot more hits with no shield.

ace3skoot

The Lamonster said:
Can I use Biggoron's Sword for the rest of the game or do I have to equip the Master Sword to fight Ganondorf?

you only need the MS it for the final blow

personally my favourate way to fight the final boss is with deku nuts, bomb chuus and the megaton. but BGS make its very very easy

-or the broken giants knife, also for taking on iron knuckles too :D

Easy_D

never left the stone age
KevinCow said:
Link has to have the best voice acting ever.

Seriously, the scream of absolute terror when he falls from a high point? The grunt of unthinkable pain when he lands and his shins are driven up into his chest? Nolan North ain't got shit on that.
It's actually the same guy voicing Ichigo in Bleach.

I like how it sounds like he says "Ah, shit!"
when you land from a huge drop :D

The Lamonster said:

Yes
No, there's a fairy near the castle that you can visit to get Din's Fire. I think Farore's Wind was also possible.
Yes, provided you have Epona's Song
Yes, but it'll be a good idea to visit the Ice Cave for Blue Fire and the Hookshot first. At the same time, just get the Tunics as well.

Roto13

The Spin Attack Great Fairy actually tells you to visit the Din's Fire Great Fairy when you meet her. >_>

EDIT: Blue Fire melts red ice.

I guess I didn't really appreciate this game when it first came out but playing it now for just the second time it is truly something else.

The temptation is high.

I always loved OoT, but the really low framerate had me queasy through a bit of it.

In an acceptable framerate? Gah! I can only imagine how awesome it be.

I don't think you can get Epona as soon as you're an adult. You need the hookshot to kill spiders on the way up that last climb to Biggoron.

Thunder Monkey said:
The temptation is high.

I always loved OoT, but the really low framerate had me queasy through a bit of it.

Man, this game is awesome. You won't be disappointed with your purchase. All the extra details they put into the environments just make it that much better to explore houses, towns, and the land. Impa's house is really cool now too; she has a lot of posters that foreshadow actions you'll do in the game. I don't even know if the posters were in the regular game but they're really cool. I'vealso explored more with this game compared to any of the other 5-6 times I played OOT just because of the huge upgrade in graphics. Definitely worthy of a buy.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Thunder Monkey said:
The temptation is high.

It runs much smoother than the N64 game. It's now a constant 30 fps. I would have liked 60, but 30 fps is still much smoother than the 20 fps of the N64 game.

idwl

Woohooo! Got OoT . Didn't expect it so soon after the NA launch in the middle east. And its actually the U.A.E/Saudi Arabia/Singapore/Malaysia version. Nice to see nintendo try to support this market.

Easy_D said:
It's actually the same guy voicing Ichigo in Bleach.

I like how it sounds like he says "Ah, shit!"
when you land from a huge drop :D
So i'm not alone in hearing the swears! though I always thought it was more like CHRIST SHIT! myself

I finally obtained all 100 gold skulltullas, it was absolutely not worth it as expected. That smug bastard just dances in my face and flings unwanted money at me. Well with almost 100% completion (got to get that fourth bottle) I think I may start up master quest, I was going to wait but the game is simply too good.

The Lamonster said:
I haven't seen anyone else say it yet but this is the best version of OoT.

Just the 3D Effect alone makes it a whole new world for me. I have the GameCube version(s) and have played the original 64 cart here and there, but this is really fun and fresh, even though I know a lot of what I need to do already.

Cathcart said:
So am I the only dude who thought the Water Temple was awesome the first time around?
No, you're not. I hate being one of those guys, who claim that everyhing in games that people thought were impossible were cakewalks but I had no idea about the Water Temple controversy until I started reading about it on GAF.

I remember really enjoying it my first time through and I don't remember getting stuck anywhere for long.

GJS

UncleSporky said:
I don't think you can get Epona as soon as you're an adult. You need the hookshot to kill spiders on the way up that last climb to Biggoron.
You can go and get epona straight away.

You don't have to climb up to him the long way. Go through the Volcano from Goron City, you can jump past the rock and climb up the ladder to the exit.

There is really no reason to delay getting the hookshot though, it's easy enough.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I only hated the Water Temple for having to go into the menu every 5 secs just to use or get rid of Iron Boots. It was more annoying than anything else. The rest of the dungeon was alright.

And in OOT 3DS it's not an issue since you never need to pause the game and go into the menu for them.

Saint Gregory said:
No, you're not. I hate being one of those guys, who claim that everyhing in games that people thought were impossible were cakewalks but I had no idea about the Water Temple controversy until I started reading about it on GAF.

I remember really enjoying it my first time through and I don't remember getting stuck anywhere for long.

I remember hating the desert temple WAY more. I got stuck on the water temple, but I got stuck to varying degrees in every temple. I was in like 7th grade. I wasn't very smart.

Lupin the Wolf said:
Just the 3D Effect alone makes it a whole new world for me. I have the GameCube version(s) and have played the original 64 cart here and there, but this is really fun and fresh, even though I know a lot of what I need to do already.

Do you ever find yourself turning off the 3D just to remind you of what it looks like in 2D? I do that a couple of times while I'm playing, and I'm always amazed at how much better it looks with 3D on. I love the window effect that the 3D gives off.

dark10x said:
It runs much smoother than the N64 game. It's now a constant 30 fps. I would have liked 60, but 30 fps is still much smoother than the 20 fps of the N64 game.

Does it drop at all with the 3D on or does it stay 30fps?

ameleco

FINALLY got my 3ds repaired by nintendo so I can play Zelda! (Top screen was scratched by bottom screen). Anyway, hopefully I don't beat OOT too fast. Gonna try and take it slow and enjoy it. Oh and on a side note, they streetpassed a mii onto my 3ds. Nintendo from new york :D

StickSoldier said:
Do you ever find yourself turning off the 3D just to remind you of what it looks like in 2D? I do that a couple of times while I'm playing, and I'm always amazed at how much better it looks with 3D on. I love the window effect that the 3D gives off.

Yeah, I've done that a few times. This is my first time seeing anything in 3D (game or film) and I think it looks great.

I haven't finished Ocarina since when it first came out. I've played through the first 2 or 3 dungeons since then quite a few times but for some reason just stopped playing. I'm on Lord Jabu Jabu's belly now and I'm really excited for the adult stuff. Going to be pretty fresh for me.

I'm wondering if it was the framerate that kept putting me off before as the game just felt so slow. This version is absolutely brilliant though.

UncleSporky said:
Unless you go into the guard house with all the pots and break them all at once.

Haha yeah, I noticed that too, but I've only experienced slow down in there so I didn't know if it was worth mentioning.

Top Bottom