• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Kato

Desiato said:
It blows my mind how well this game holds up after all these years. Perfect game design.

With the risk of sounding like a fanboy and I don't care one bit about that so objectivity can bite its own ass for all I care. I think every Nintendo game (as in Nintendo games and not games on a Nintendo machine) holds up.

Seeing my kid play some 8/16/64bit games and sometimes helping her out and seeing the design and thoughts that went into it, yeah I think almost all their games feature gameplay that keeps up with the times.

So good :D Just got to Zoras Domain. Totally forgot how to get most of the heart pieces though. I grabbed one in Lon Lon Ranch
in the tower
but thats it so far. Any easy to get ones this early?

gamingeek

Right I played till the end of the Deku tree.

Visually it looks great. Without 3D you get better aliasing which means smoother edges, but the 3D effect is so good I can't see anyone choosing this option.

The motion controlled first person aiming works perfectly, I know it looks gimmicky but its actually awesome and quite immersive too.

The touch screen is great and gives you a little insight into how the Wii U controller might make gameplay more enjoyable. It has easy touch screen icons to use the menus and equip weapons, it even has a couple of assignable buttons, sort of like SF4 3DS which had 4 touchscreen buttons.

The game hasn't really aged, I know what famitsu meant when they said that it feels like a new game. Nintendo games from the SNES era, for their top tier titles, they are such classics that you can go back and still see what was great about them. The deku tree dungeon as small and simple as it is pisses all over any dungeon in Okami.

Grezzo have done a really good job on the visuals, they are someone inbetween an N64 and GC in quality but the 3D adds a lot, making it seem like a little fantasy world exists inside the screen. There is an occasion and very slight ghosting of navi though, you might not even notice it unless you look real hard. Grezzo seem to have touched up, if not remade, everything in the game. It's less of a port and more of a remake in graphical terms. Everything, the characters, every room, every item seems to be polished and looking brighter, crisper, more detailed and just more vibrant than before.

When I heard that they were just going with age old N64 midi music I was miffed, upon hearing the music in the game again I am kinda happy they kept the old tunes and jingles. It's part of what makes the game a nostalgic joy.

The game itself is the same, same layout, items etc. So it's not a new experience by any means - if you are getting this game you are getting it for two things, improved visuals and 3D. It's sufficienlty graphically overhauled to be worth it though and I hear that you get a free Zelda orchestra invite if you buy the game and if you register the game at the nintendo website I hear you get a free music CD.

The only complaint I have is with the 3DS analogue slider, it feels good but now is the first time it has had a game that it could be tested with. It doesn't feel quite right but that maybe because grezzo stuck to the same controls and animations and speed of the N64 link. I will have to check and let you know. Link seems to go from walk to sprint too fast.

gamingeek

DefectiveReject said:
Fuck You NoE.

Imcompetant Bastards

I want to register my damned game........ Damn you.

Give us all this lovely marketing data..... Thank you, my forms work nicely.
Want a free CD..... Form gone broke

I can't even fucking login now to register this game

OK so I was able to pick up a US copy of this game yesterday (got to love small mom and pop stores). haven't got to play it just yet but wanted to say a few things about the US packaging that I found to be a little disappointing.

• cover art is not a shiny/holo foil cover
  • Instruction book is not a book but a fold out
  • no gold cart or even gold foil cart logo/sticker

Now this does not effect the quality of the game, but for Zelda's 25th anniversary I wanted a bit more from the packaging. Heck Mario got red consoles, special red boxes for the games etc. Again these things don't bother me that much but Zelda is my favorite Nintendo series and I was hoping for a bit more then this.

62j9z.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

TheBanditKing said:
OK so I was able to pick up a US copy of this game yesterday (got to love small mom and pop stores). haven't got to play it just yet but wanted to say a few things about the US packaging that I found to be a little disappointing.

• cover art is not a shiny/holo foil cover
  • Instruction book is not a book but a fold out
  • no gold cart or even gold foil cart logo/sticker

Now this does not effect the quality of the game, but for Zelda's 25th anniversary I wanted a bit more from the packaging. Heck Mario got red consoles, special red boxes for the games etc. Again these things don't bother me that much but Zelda is my favorite Nintendo series and I was hoping for a bit more then this.

Nintendo rarely, if ever, put any effort into these things..

Kjellson

They finally added introductions when you enter a temple for the first time. I always thought it was weird that they didn't have it, lol.

Crap. I refreshed the soundtrack offer page (EU) and got a "page no longer exists" page.

I'm very angry with GAME for delivering this game a day late. I would have been able to get the soundtrack if it game on time.

TheBanditKing said:
You know after all these years this fact still does not sit well with me.

Honestly, any other company would celebrate their main franchises like nothing else. When a new main Zelda game comes out, you would think there would be a collector's edition with artbooks, soundtracks and all that jazz.

Never. Does a Zelda artbook even exist? Not to my knowledge.
The only time I ever remember Nintendo doing something remotely nice was this..
Oracle.jpg

And

This

1.JPG

And they were ridiculously limited.

Just saw the Zelda deal in my weekend Target flyer. I have it preordered on Amazon but I'm going to see if I can head there tomorrow...

...or have some of you actually managed to buy it from them already?

In other news, I am taking one of my eyeglass lint-free cloths and cleaning my 3DS for this right now... oh lawd.

Canti

Dabookerman said:
The only time I ever remember Nintendo doing something remotely nice was this..
Jeebus, I never even knew that one existed. I really regret missing out on the Oracle games first time around, can't come to 3DS VC soon enough!

On topic, I had the game freeze up on me today, I never had that happen with the N64 ver :/ Luckly I was only ten minutes into the dungeon but would have sucked if I hadn't saved for ages. It was inside the 2nd dungeon, was sword slashing just after hitting a gossip stone. Anyone else get this?

-Mikey-

A few pages back someone asked how much will Gamestop give for a DSLite trade in. Think I saw a few posts saying 40. Anyone know what a PSP-3000 gets for trade in?

-Mikey- said:
A few pages back someone asked how much will Gamestop give for a DSLite trade in. Think I saw a few posts saying 40. Anyone know what a PSP-3000 gets for trade in?

I got like $25 for my white DS Lite...

dc89

ashbash159 said:
Crap. I refreshed the soundtrack offer page (EU) and got a "page no longer exists" page.

I'm very angry with GAME for delivering this game a day late. I would have been able to get the soundtrack if it game on time.

Well I've just registered the game and got to the sound track page where it asks me to fill out my shipping details

Then I get:

Please enter street address - I have

Then I get:

An error occurred when your data were being validated. Please try again later.
An error occurred when your data were being validated. Please try again later.

:(

-Mikey- said:

Depending on what color you have Amazon is giving between $30 and $50 for a DS Lite.

PSP-3000 is netting $80.

Futureman

I have inventory at work tomorrow, but I'll be racing to the Gamestop right after work and playing this for a few hours. CAN'T WAIT.

AbsoluteZero said:
3DS ordered. Should be arriving Tuesday.

Anyone have a rundown of Retailer's deals this Sunday on OoT?

Where did you buy it? Can you still cancel?

Target:

Nintendo 3DS w/ $25 Gift Card - $249.99

Buy Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS ($39.99) get ANY other 3DS game for 50% off

Best Buy:

$39.99 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time ~ Get a $25 gift card with the purchase of Zelda and any other 3DS game ~

K-mart:

6/19 Release:
$15 Gaming Coupon with Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D ($39.99)

Mockingbird said:
They used to. Gold cart is least that they could've done.

Hopefully The Skyward Sword disc will be gold.

Printing a disc or cart gold is pretty worthless. I personally demand an art book or something cool. I've just been spoilt by every other company so meh.

Futureman

MNC said:
Wut, wait. How limited is the soundtrack?

•Must be a Club Nintendo member or join Club Nintendo to be eligible
•Offer valid only to US and Canadian residents 13 and older who register The Legend of Zelda™ Ocarina of Time ™ 3D and complete the registration survey.
•Limit one CD per person or Family Account
•Shipping and Handling is free.
•Promotional item ships in approximately 2-4 weeks.
•Available while supplies last.

Mockingbird said:

Target:

Best Buy:

$39.99 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time ~ Get a $25 gift card with the purchase of Zelda and any other 3DS game ~

K-mart:

6/19 Release:

is that the best deal going on a 3DS?

Is there another 3DS game worth getting? lol

Narpas Sword0 said:

Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, supposedly, if you're into strategy games. I'll probably snag that when I get a chance.

Futureman

Narpas Sword0 said:

I'd say almost every 3DS game is worth $20, especially Pilotwings, Ridge Racer, SF4, Ghost Recon, and probably Steel Diver (haven't played it).

and by getting the game at $20, you can easily sell it back for just about that at least when you are done, and put that toward a new game. I got $26 when I traded Pilotwings in during Gamestops 50% bonus trade in credit day.

Mockingbird said:

Target:

Best Buy:

K-mart:

6/19 Release:

I had $50 worth of Amazon credit so I managed to get the 3DS, Screen protectors and a Case for $213 before shipping, so the bolded is moot. (Besides, the 3DS would have tacked on around $20 worth of tax I saved through Amazon regardless)

But I didn't get the game itself because I knew there were a few deals floating about.

Considering I have a $10 reward zone certificate, Best Buy seems to have the best deal of the bunch.

Disguises

Canti said:
Jeebus, I never even knew that one existed. I really regret missing out on the Oracle games first time around, can't come to 3DS VC soon enough!
YES! I totally skipped over the thought of this being possible. I loved those games back when they were released and would love to play them again. The only hardware that I can play them on currently is the GCPlayer, 3DS release would be perfect.

My girlfriend bought this for me off of Amazon. It should arrive on Tuesday or so... You guys don't think the CDs will have run out by then, do you?

kaskade

Hopefully the US soundtrack isn't all out in 20 mins. For you guys that want the soundtrack it's pretty easy to find. I know some of the fun is having a nice physical copy though.

Futureman said:
What? How so? I doubt the promotion is even going yet as the game isn't even officially released.

It is in Europe.

dc89 said:
WEll I've missed out on the CD thanks to Nintendo's glitchy system.

Take it for what it's worth, but when I called nintendo earlier to complain about this, the support guy said they'd sort something out for the people this have happened to. here's hoping.

daakusedo

I played link's awakening for the first time with the eshop release but I didn't know that ocarina of time will make me stop it. I like this game so much more than what I remembered, so good.

Playing through this game for my first time. The story, dungeon design and gameplay live up to the hype. This is one of the best games ever.

kanugo

Rookie mistake. Instead of saving, I kept pressing home or closing my console. The battery died and now I have to start all over again.

No big problem since I loved the forest and Doku Tree.

kanugo said:
Rookie mistake. Instead of saving, I kept pressing home or closing my console. The battery died and now I have to start all over again.

No big problem since I loved the forest and Doku Tree.

Saving is paramount.

Also glad I have the Nyko battery for long play sessions.

Pomegranate

Neo Member
The Saudi Arabia/UAE/Malaysia version (same as US version) uses the European art for the box:
1308413742471.jpg

Why do we at the US always get the crappy boxarts :(

Pomegranate said:
The Saudi Arabia/UAE/Malaysia version (same as US version) uses the European art for the box:
1308413742471.jpg

Why do we at the US always get the crappy boxarts :(

Didn't know they used ESRB in that region.

kanugo

DoctorWho said:
Saving is paramount.

Also glad I have the Nyko battery for long play sessions.

Yeap, now I know. :)

The battery was full charged when I started playing it.. it lasted a couple of hours.

Top Bottom