• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
hamchan said:
You first timers will never experience the true horrors of the water temple.

Link Awakening on 3DS is almost as bad, having to go to the item menu almost every few secs just to switch items.

It wouldnt be so bad if the sword and shield had separate buttons, but i guess the Gameboy was kinda limited haha.

hamchan

Zoda said:
This game looks amazing, and I loved OoT64, but I have a question.

Is it worth buying a 3DS now? Or should I wait a year or two for the inevitable 3DS Lite with a price drop?
Is this the only game you want for the 3DS? If so I don't think it's worth it to pay $250 for the thing. You need a good number of games before you can commit I think and the release list is looking pretty sparse until later in the year. So if you plan to just finish this game and then let your 3DS gather dust for months, don't buy it IMO.

AceBandage said:
You know, on my one time playing it (WW Pre-order disc), I never had a problem with the water temple. It was the shadow temple where I just gave up and never touched the game again.

Why did you give up there? It's much easier than the Water Temple.

Kard8p3

AceBandage said:
You know, on my one time playing it (WW Pre-order disc), I never had a problem with the water temple. It was the shadow temple where I just gave up and never touched the game again.

Where did you get stuck in the shadow temple? I seem to remember it being a pretty straight forward dungeon.

Kirbyguy said:
Why did you give up there? It's much easier than the Water Temple.

I honestly have no idea. I just stopped caring about the game.
OoT and TP are the only two Zelda games that I just couldn't bring myself to beat, despite loving all the rest.

Zoda

Neo Member
AceBandage said:

That depends.
Do you want to play games like Resident Evil, Super Mario, Kid Icarus and the like sooner or later?

Doesn't matter to me, but i DON'T want to buy a system and get ripped off after it quickly becomes forgotten about months later when a new and improved model comes out with more features.

thomaser

I played through OoT once or twice when it came out in 98... and now I'm stuck on exactly the same places I was stuck on back then. Dammit!

Zoda said:
Doesn't matter to me, but i DON'T want to buy a system and get ripped off after it quickly becomes forgotten about months later when a new and improved model comes out with more features.

I'll never really get this.
I had a launch Gameboy Brick.
A launch GBA.
A launch DS.

Never once bought the revisions. Still enjoyed the same games as everyone else.
There's really not much they can do with a revision of the 3DS. They can't add any online components. They can't add new slots for things. They can't make it smaller.

The best they can do is make it bigger, but that's just pointless.

Zoda

Neo Member
AceBandage said:
A launch GBA.
A launch DS.

There's really not much they can do with a revision of the 3DS. They can't add any online components. They can't add new slots for things. They can't make it smaller.

I get where you're coming from, but keep in mind that the GBA SP added a backlit screen.

The DSi added cameras and an overhauled menu.

I understand that the software wil be the same, but if there's the possibility of Nintendo adding video to the cameras or improved the cameras altogether, along with other features, it may make the system more enjoyable overall.

Speaking of which, how comfortable is the 3DS? Is it uncomfortably heavy like the launch DS?

AceBandage said:
A launch GBA.
A launch DS.

They can fix the 3D viewing angle and make it a much, much more enjoyable system.

Futureman

butter_stick said:
They can fix the 3D viewing angle and make it a much, much more enjoyable system.

Pretty sure that is false considering the tech they are using. Someone correct me if I am wrong though.

kiryogi

Banned
Zoda said:
I get where you're coming from, but keep in mind that the GBA SP added a backlit screen.

I understand that the software wil be the same, but if there's the possibility of Nintendo adding video to the cameras or improved the cameras altogether, along with other features, it may make the system more enjoyable overall.

Speaking of which, how comfortable is the 3DS? Is it uncomfortably heavy like the launch DS?

Not at all, it's the same size as the DS lite. I'd say about the same weight too.

Alrus

Futureman said:
Pretty sure that is false considering the tech they are using. Someone correct me if I am wrong though.

Well they could use better quality screens and allow for more sweet spot I guess. I don't know if that would reduce ghosting for bright items on dark background (I've had this issue with OoT and Pilotwings so far). But that would still be a plus.

Futureman said:

I'm sure the screens can be improved. Obviously it'll always be stereoscopic, but I'm sure there's ways of improving the hardware. All the software is doing is outputting two pictures, so it should be something hardware can improve.

Celine

Zoda said:

Don't forget GBA SP added the lithium battery ( a first for Nintendo handheld ).
I f there is somwthing I hope Nintendo will improve with a revision is better battery life ( it's not a problem for me but the more the merrier ) and a wider window spot for 3D.

I found the 3DS confortable, it's only slightly more heavier than a DS Lite.

butter_stick said:

That's not possible. The tech relies on being able to beam one image into each eye. There is inherently no wiggle room.

If you try to broaden the angle at which each image is displayed, you're actually narrowing the effective viewing angle since you're worsening the problem of the wrong image bleeding over into the other eye.

thomaser

Kard8p3 said:
Where would that be?

Very early! In the Goron city, trying to find out how to get the bracelet. But don't help me - I found out before, so I can do it again. I remember spending hours trying to figure it out, running up and down those stairs, trying to jump into the huge vase...

BY2K

Membero Americo
butter_stick said:

The only way they can do that is by making the screen bigger.

Or smaller, actually.

Dedication Through Light said:
Hm 41 pages wow...well it'll be my first time playing a zelda game ever, tomorrow, But I was looking at guides, I guess the game is still at the core the same so old guides for the original version are still relevant or not?
why the hell would you ruin the game using guides?

McNum

Well this is pretty much Ocarina of Time firing on all engines. Just set my foot in the Forest Temple, and so far the game is pretty much as good as or perhaps slightly better than the original. The gyroscope aiming helps a lot, and the graphics are not spectacular, but the game looks as you thought Ocarina of Time looked.

I think Navi has been dialed back a little, she's not popping in with advice as much as I remember her doing. She does have a few new pieces of advice, though. Also, there's a small animation wink to Twilight Princess, see if you can spot it.

Can't quite comment on the 3D, my right eye starts to hurt if I try to use it, so I just play in 2D mode. Looks nice with the antialias you get with that.

McNum

Kirbyguy said:
Unless you're going for complete global saturation, why use guides?
I might as well chime in on that. You don't need a guide, there's one built in. There's a glowing stone near the two places you appear when you load the game that will show you what you need to do and where to go next. Ocarina of Time gets half a Super Guide, basically. You still have to do everything yourself, no auto-play function.

Hm 41 pages wow...well it'll be my first time playing a zelda game ever, tomorrow, But I was looking at guides, I guess the game is still at the core the same so old guides for the original version are still relevant or not?
Yeah if I were you I wouldn't use a guide. I did this back when I first got the game and regret it.

Guides are only to be used in the event of you literally being on the verge of killing yourself from frustration with not doing what you need to do in a game.

apana said:
I think everyone should try and give the game their best effort but using guides is better than just quitting.
When i was playing this game i spent weeks stuck in the shadow temple
at a part where you needed to shoot some bomb flowers with fire arrow to break done a pillar making a bridge
and I never once resort to using guides when i finally figured out what to do it was such a damn good feeling knowing it was as result of my own persistence rather than someone telling me.

And after playing this game (first zelda) i went back and played all the ones i missed and never use guides no matter how hopelessly stuck i appeared to be and the games were better for it.

Also worth noting I never got stuck in the water temple or founded it frustrating and was shock when i can on the internet and hearing people complain about it.

I was 7 when Ocarina of Time first came out. I got it for Christmas, and my big cousin, without me even asking him, beat the first two dungeons for me. I didn't even know how to equip my sword and shield. Then, a week later, my other cousin beat the third dungeon for me. I was pretty much lost in terms of how to actually play the game...

So, the first temple I actually got to play was the Forest Temple, and I managed to beat that all by myself! But then I used a guide for the Fire Temple... and again for the Water Temple... and then I just used it to beat the rest of the game.

Still, I loved taking a break from the mainquest to just run around the field and talk to people. I did a lot of the sidequests.

I don't really have a point with this post; I'm just thinking back. Ocarina of Time still took me nearly a half a year or longer to beat, but what a great feeling. I still remember being so proud when I beat Ganon.

Kard8p3

KeeSomething said:
I was 7 when Ocarina of Time first came out. I got it for Christmas, and my big cousin, without me even asking him, beat the first two dungeons for me. I didn't even know how to equip my sword and shield. Then, a week later, my other cousin beat the third dungeon for me. I was pretty much lost in terms of how to actually play the game...

So, the first temple I actually got to play was the Forest Temple, and I managed to beat that all by myself! But then I used a guide for the Fire Temple... and again for the Water Temple... and then I just used it to beat the rest of the game.

Still, I loved taking a break from the mainquest to just run around the field and talk to people. I did a lot of the sidequests.

I don't really have a point with this post; I'm just thinking back. Ocarina of Time still took me nearly a half a year or longer to beat, but what a great feeling. I still remember being so proud when I beat Ganon.

I got it for christmas the year it came out too. I was 9 and I had been anticipating it for so long since A Link to the Past was my favorite game (and my first game.) I remember being so overwhelmed by the game. At the time it seemed like too much for me. I eventually learned the basics but for a couple weeks I would find myself playing through the first dungeon then starting over because I was afraid of how big the game might get once I leave the forest.

Eventually I did decide to move on though and it was even more overwhelming. However I decided to push through and the weeks that followed have become my greatest gaming memories. Conquering each dungeon really felt like an accomplishment. I don't think any game will ever be as great too me as Ocarina was back then.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Thankfully it won't be sold out at the Microplay I go to. I was the only one to reserve the 3DS and I'm pretty sure I was the only one to buy it there.

dwu8991

Banned
Just read the review on 1UP, a B+.
Not bad especially when you are dealing with a 13 year old game. I'm glad the reviewer marked it down, since their are better games now in the action/adventure genre.

I'm going to be walking to GS in the morning and going to stay a little in case some more people come for it and hope for some street passes . Can't wait :D

Truth101

Banned
dwu8991 said:
Not bad especially when you are dealing with a 13 year old game. I'm glad the reviewer marked it down, since their are better games now in the action/adventure genre.

Not really.

ShyGuy0504 said:
Yeah if I were you I wouldn't use a guide. I did this back when I first got the game and regret it.

The comments people made and have made about the game make me think its extremely difficult and brutal. I just want to experience the game, I dont aim for a game to make me get frustrated in terms of knowing where to go and how to get through a dungeon, kind of ruins the fun to get frustrated and stuck.

Reknoc

The comments people made and have made about the game make me think its extremely difficult and brutal. I just want to experience the game, I dont aim for a game to make me get frustrated in terms of knowing where to go and how to get through a dungeon, kind of ruins the fun to get frustrated and stuck.

Ocarina of Time is a lot of things, but it's not difficult or brutal.

What? That's the best part of Zelda.

Those magical moments where you're suddenly like "wait...what if I try this!?" and it works, in front of your own eyes.

Using a guide completely ruins that.

It's like playing a Mario game, but getting someone else to control Mario while you just watch. Sure, you get to see everything, but it's not nearly as good as doing it yourself.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
dwu8991 said:
Sadly, I think OOT is still better than Wind Waker, Twighlight Princess and Okami.

dwu8991

Banned

I spent 20 hours on forest temple alone. If you never played a zelda game and are not going to use a guide, you going to look at playing 100 hours+ and enjoy every minute of it. I think OoT is best played on N64 though.

Top Bottom