• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

dwu8991 said:
I spent 20 hours on forest temple alone. If you never played a zelda game and are not going to use a guide, you going to look at playing 100 hours+ and enjoy every minute of it. I think OoT is best played on N64 though.

When you were a child? That's an absurd gauge to go by nowadays.

Arren

Dedication Through Light said:
The comments people made and have made about the game make me think its extremely difficult and brutal. I just want to experience the game, I dont aim for a game to make me get frustrated in terms of knowing where to go and how to get through a dungeon, kind of ruins the fun to get frustrated and stuck.
The game is not extremely difficult at all.

It's actually very intuitive and accessible most of the time and, even when the difficulty increases, most of the entertainment consists in figuring it out by yourself. I mean, one of the main points of this series lies in solving the puzzles and making your way through the dungeons. If you take this aspect away, you remove an essential part of the experience.

Try it first without resorting to guides or walkthroughs. I'm confident you'll enjoy it to the fullest that way.

Tron 2.0

dwu8991 said:
I spent 20 hours on forest temple alone. If you never played a zelda game and are not going to use a guide, you going to look at playing 100 hours+ and enjoy every minute of it. I think OoT is best played on N64 though.
How? Why?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
dwu8991 said:
lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
_Alkaline_ said:
I can only imagine the controller? My hands aren't appreciating trying to contort to reach both left and right shoulder buttons while still using the circle pad and face buttons, its just uncomfortable.

I'm trying with lock toggle but its too difficult to unlock

Skilletor

dwu8991 said:

This sounds like you suck at games.

Reknoc

dwu8991 said:

Really now? I remember having trouble on the forest temple as a kid, but that was because I couldn't handle the music and the floor masters...

Totally forgot that tomorrow is fathers day and I already made plans to go see Super 8 with my family. I just hope I got enough time to swing buy my local gamestop before I leave to see them or else I have to wait for Monday. Arrgh!

Alrus

So far (I'm at the Fire Temple), the game has been a breeze. I had no memories of the dungeons before going in (aside from the deku tree) and it still was easy (much easier than I remember, I dreaded the Jabu Jabu dungeon and it took me 15 minutes in the end). Being a kid probably made the game a lot harder than it is.

As an adult there is no way you can get stuck on the earlier temples more than an hour.

Less about the forest temple, more about it playing better on a N64.

Even if you ignore the 3DS version, there's still the superior GC and VC versions. Why on earth would any prefer the N64 version and its vaseline vision?

Reknoc said:
Really now? I remember having trouble on the forest temple as a kid, but that was because I couldn't handle the music and the floor masters...
The music used to scare the crap out of me, shadow temple? fine, forest temple? oh hell no!
That goes for setting and atmosphere as well as music, shadow temple is like the horror film that tries too hard to scare you, Forest temple is the thriller that invades your thoughts and haunts your brain.
I love the music now however.

Nocturnowl said:
The music used to scare the crap out of me, shadow temple? fine, forest temple? oh hell no!
That goes for setting and atmosphere as well as music, shadow temple is like the horror film that tries too hard to scare you, Forest temple is the thriller that invades your thoughts and haunts your brain.
Inside the Bottom of the Well, for me seemed creepier than the two.

Can't wait till tomorrow. I think I want to do a "no boss heart container" playthrough. Pretty much just skipping the heart containers that bosses drop, while allowing myself to get any of the other ones. This should force me to do any and all side quests to get any health upgrades.

Also really excited about the gyroscope stuff. Kind of makes me think of Virtual Reality from back in the day.

Alrus

butter_stick said:
I've spent more than 15 minutes on Jabu Jabu just going round in circles ;_;

Well I remember being completely lost in it as a kid but this time it went really smoothly, once you get the boomerang you're pretty much done, everything afterwards is straightforward.

Edit: By the way did they change the Forest Temple music? The chanting seems different.

I'm horrible at the adult dungeons. I had to use a guide to even work out how to get
Ruto to the upper level of Jabu's belly.

I try not to use guides, but I often have to. I don't have the patience to keep exploring one dungeon for hours. Forest temple totally breaks my brain.

Reknoc

So a 5th dungeon and I'm loving this version. However it's not without its problems; I don't like the non-fixed inventory screen like what all other Zelda games had, but it's not too bad since you can manually arrange stuff. I love the extra slot and that the Ocarina no longer takes a slot up, but there's four touch screen buttons (navi/view, slot 1, slot 2, ocarina) and I can't help but notice there's also 4 unused buttons on the 3DS and it's a shame they're not used.

Nocturnowl said:

It's really good music and I'm loving it even more in this version. But still 13 years later and I still dreaded going to the temple. I shouldn't have though, it was pretty easy.

_Alkaline_ said:
Less about the forest temple, more about it playing better on a N64.

Even if you ignore the 3DS version, there's still the superior GC and VC versions. Why on earth would any prefer the N64 version and its vaseline vision?
One thing I notice from playing both he n64 and the gc version is the N64 analog is more accurate for aiming in oot than the gc controller. I haven't played the 3ds version though and i won't until I get a 3ds ($250 for any handheld is kinda steep)

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
My young mind has absolutely blocked any thoughts of the Shadow Temple and the little dungeon prior to that. Yup. So... scary.

Arren said:
The game is not extremely difficult at all.

It's actually very intuitive and accessible most of the time and, even when the difficulty increases, most of the entertainment consists in figuring it out by yourself. I mean, one of the main points of this series lies in solving the puzzles and making your way through the dungeons. If you take this aspect away, you remove an essential part of the experience.

Try it first without resorting to guides or walkthroughs. I'm confident you'll enjoy it to the fullest that way.

It doesnt sound too convincing with people saying 20+ hours to finish ONE dungeon, I can only see that its entertaining because one could finally advance after being stuck for so long at one point. The review that convinced me to even look at this game mentioned "each character and event plays a role in a storyline that sprawls like a J.R. Tolkien masterpiece", so really, Id just want a guide to blaze through and really experience the story and world, not to solve puzzles I guess.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
It doesnt sound too convincing with people saying 20+ hours to finish ONE dungeon, I can only see that its entertaining because one could finally advance after being stuck for so long at one point. The review that convinced me to even look at this game mentioned "each character and event plays a role in a storyline that sprawls like a J.R. Tolkien masterpiece", so really, Id just want a guide to blaze through and really experience the story and world, not to solve puzzles I guess.

20+ hours for one dungeon? Complete and total bullshit. Game isn't even that hard, everything is logical. Max a dungeon can last is perhaps 1 hour and a half or 2 if you get stuck... and that's the Water Dungeon. In fact I am sure you can beat the initial 3 dungeons in less than 4 hours and that's including traveling and stuff.

Game is not the easiest thing ever, but it isn't hard at all. Plus the 3DS version has built-in video tips. Plus if you are playing this game for an epic story you will be disappointed. Its not bad, but nothing "epic". At all.

Reknoc

That's not "people" that's "person", people are the ones replying in bafflement at how anyone could manage 20+ hours in a dungeon.

edit: did a review actually compare it to Tolkien?

Tron 2.0

It doesnt sound too convincing with people saying 20+ hours to finish ONE dungeon...
One person. And I would question their mental capacity.

You should be able to beat the entire game in 20 hours.

Eek. Now don't get me wrong, OoT has a nice charming story, but it's crazy to compare it to Tolkien. Sorry but if that's what you're expecting you will be severely disappointed. OoT's story serves as a good context for the gameplay, which primarily is exploration, combat and puzzle solving.

If you're good at Zelda and puzzles in general, no dungeon should take you more than 2 hours to finish.

Symphonic

Just realized I never beat the entire Shadow Temple myself, I had someone else run through it for me as a kid. Not sure how I feel about that.

I don't think you should bother playing this game then just watch a play through on youtube or something.

Cygnus X-1

Can't stop playing this game. Sometimes I really wonder why it feels so much better than 99% of all other games.

After all these years, it doesn't look better. It doesn't sound better. It doesn't play necessarily better. But it has some magic that make it better. I can't figure out what it is exactly. Shit.

maeda said:
Can't wait to experience this version of the game. Hopefully we'll get a Majora's Mask remake.

I approve. I want Majora's Mask too. Now.

Relix said:
My young mind has absolutely blocked any thoughts of the Shadow Temple and the little dungeon prior to that. Yup. So... scary.

I remember in 1998 that I was completely scared going in the "little dungeon". I think the environments and the music create a creepy atmosphere. But Ikana's valley is even scarier actually.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
parcel came on the 16th, sent to the collections office as was too big to be posted (wtf??) got a note saying i have to pick it up.. went to the collections office today, it & the post office closed due to power failure..great have to pick this up on monday before my shift..:(

Cygnus X-1

Teknoman said:
No one should ever spend 20 hours in one dungeon.

Agreed, but anyway I spent hours in the Fire temple, because I couldn't really understand how to get up to the second tower. The dungeon was over, but I was pissed off I couldn't get in that place.

Ah, I also remember that in the polar cave, I couldn't understand how to melt the ice. I also spent hours understanding that. Well, I was 13 years old, so.....

Magicpaint said:
Eek. Now don't get me wrong, OoT has a nice charming story, but it's crazy to compare it to Tolkien.

Agreed. But future Zeldas needs more and more to have a non-oversimplified storyline. Zelda HD needs to go in that direction.

Tron 2.0 said:
How? Why?

Maybe because the gameplay was built up around the N64 controller, which feels more intuitive than the GC controller and even the 3DS. Well ,I have to admit the 3DS does a pretty damn job reproducing the original gameplay.

But the original is the original and it's almost always better.

The only exception is Metroid Trilogy if you ask me.

Teknoman

Cygnus X-1 said:
Agreed, but anyway I spent hours in the Fire temple, because I couldn't really understand how to get up to the second tower. The dungeon was over, but I was pissed off I couldn't get in that place.

Ah, I also remember that in the polar cave, I couldn't understand how to melt the ice. I also spent hours understanding that. Well, I was 13 years old, so.....

Agreed. But future Zeldas needs more and more to have a non-oversimplified storyline. Zelda HD needs to go in that direction.

Well yeah, its possible to spend an hour or two figuring out a dungeon, but 20 hours *_*

RedSwirl said:
Hold up. What fire temple music is in this game?
The only one my British blood is accustomed to, that is the 2nd version with the Gregorian chanting. The original is rather ominous to say the least.
Oh and if anyone asks, preemptive green blood confirmation.

Arren

Ocarina's story is indeed nice and charming in its archetypical simplicity, which I actually deem to be a common characteristic of all Nintendo games, but its purpose is almost exclusively to provide a setting.

The excellence of this masterpiece is all in its design: the perfectly-crafted structure, the intricate and yet simple layout of its mazes, the pacing of the adventure, the exploration and the great feel of the controls. It's all in the interactivity, to put it simply.

I don't think the comparison with Tolkien is fair, because Ocarina is in its very essence a videogame, and one which bears no grand narrative intent. It doesn't want to be anything different than a game and it shines in being just that.

My advice is either to approach it with the right mindset, or otherwise (if you really can't stand dungeons, riddles and pure exploration) steer clear of it to avoid disappointment.

Cygnus X-1

Teknoman said:
Well yeah, its possible to spend an hour or two figuring out a dungeon, but 20 hours *_*

Yeah, 20 hours is a little bit too much. But I can tell you I spent cumulatively (i.e. not straight, but summed over some days) 10 hours trying to figure out what to do in this two places.

And in the forest temple.......let me remember...............I think I spent the first time maybe 3-4 hours. Yeah, that's a lot, but again, I was 13 years old. And it was my very first Zelda actually.

BY2K said:
Just wait until you get to Master Quest.
Master Quest is easier than the original. All they did in Master Swuest is replace most of the puzzles with stupid hidden switches that were disguised as treasure chests and cows. Seriously, the game is DRASTICALLY easier. You can skip half the rooms in the Water Temple if you're not looking for the Gold Skultulas.

BY2K

Membero Americo
KeeSomething said:
Master Quest is easier than the original. All they did in Master Swuest is replace most of the puzzles with stupid hidden switches that were disguised as treasure chests and cows. Seriously, the game is DRASTICALLY easier. You can skip half the rooms in the Water Temple if you're not looking for the Gold Skultulas.

Except in the 3DS version there is more enemies and they hit harder. Like, TWICE more.

Londa

Banned
dwu8991 said:

If you have played the game before, there is no reason to hit 20 hours on the forest temple alone. lmao. You have to admit that you just pulled that number from nowhere to make the game seem longer than it is.

neoism

hamchan said:
You left out the "3-" part.

Anyways yeah, 3-5 hours says Nintendo.
so glad I never or rarely being my system out of the house..... Going to smoke my nice pipe and lay on my bed with this mofo plugged in. MAX ALL THE WAY.

dwu8991 said:

Wow...I thought the whole game was only 20 hours long.

tha_devil

dc89 said:
WEll I've missed out on the CD thanks to Nintendo's glitchy system.
Nintendo should just have bundled the cd with the first pressing, but no they have to use their shit club nintendo. And i was a guy with imported 3ds i cant let noa send my things to europe.

It also boggles the mind Nintendo isnt making any nice CE. Would gladly play 100+ euro for a nice collector set.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Still contemplating if I should finish my N64 save file or just go with this one and start over. I got until the mountain dungeon with the goron

tha_devil said:
Nintendo should just have bundled the cd with the first pressing, but no they have to use their shit club nintendo. And i was a guy with imported 3ds i cant let noa send my things to europe.

It also boggles the mind Nintendo isnt making any nice CE. Would gladly play 100+ euro for a nice collector set.
100 Euro? How nice are we talking ? MSRP is how many Euro exactly (30? Not up on conversion rates) I follow the sentiment but whew. But I guess if it was really nice...

neoism

PumpkinPie said:
Wow...I thought the whole game was only 20 hours long.
jesus if so you guys play waaay too fast... First time took me 70hours. But I'm a slow game...OCD... for gaming anyway...

Top Bottom