• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Lyonaz

I haven't had any difficulty pulling off either the spin attack or the finishing blow. The second is just bring both the remote and nunchuk down simultaneously; works every time.

The one portion of the sword play that doesn't work reliably, for me, is the stab. I tend to get downward swings when I try it. It's a little frustrating when trying to take out enemies that require it, like
Beamos in the third dungeon.

Make sure you don't move the nunchuk, I always keep the nunchuk to my chest and do a stabbing motion with the remote, it never fails for me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Early EARLY game spoilers

I just got my shield upgraded to the banded shield. If it breaks does it mean that I have to buy the wooden shield again AND upgrade it again? This whole durability on a shield thing is really putting me off. Does that change?

Is there seriously NO way to get on this left side on this damn sand slope? No matter what I do I cant get Link to move left to hit that steam vent. I wouldn't give a shit but theres a blue box there.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου

I just got my shield upgraded to the banded shield. If it breaks does it mean that I have to buy the wooden shield again AND upgrade it again? This whole durability on a shield thing is really putting me off. Does that change?
You get shields with better durability over time. As long as you don't turtle behind your shield, and also use parrying/dodging when possible, you shouldn't have problems. Unless they break you can get them repaired for cheap whenever you head back to Skyloft, and if you want to feel safer you can carry two with you (so you can switch to the other if the first is about to break).

There's shields that restore their durability. But if they break they're dead forever I think.

The Lamp

It is 1:30 in the gatdam afternoon and my package still hasn't shipped. I ordered the LE bundle the day it was announced and I paid for 1-day shipping. I'm about to tear Amazon customer service a new one.

Evlar

Banned
I lost my first shield, the basic wooden one... After that I've kept a revitalizing potion with me, upgraded as high as I can get them, and repaired when I travel back to Skyloft.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Fuck that I'm going
shieldless
as long as possible then.
I didn't use
shields
much, but sometimes the
shield bash can prove itself quite useful. Better carry one just in case.

Motherfucking
archery
minigame. WHY. YOU ASSHOLE,
FLEDGE
, I WANT MONEY FOR HIGHER SCORES.
I hated having to
scroll whenever he threw those pumpkins too far. It threw my aiming off almost every time.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I lost my first shield, the basic wooden one... After that I've kept a revitalizing potion with me, upgraded as high as I can get them, and repaired when I travel back to Skyloft.
Pretty much my experience.

Zelda Cycle:

1. New Zelda comes out, takes more than an hour to get going

2. Nintendo: We're sorry the last game took so long to get going, next will be quicker we promise

3. Zelda Fans: Hype

4. (back to 1)
Uhm, not really. TP started with a couple of hours of annoying mundane tasks with unlikable characters. SS starts with a much shorter and interesting introduction.

Zekes!

3-4 hours in, I'm a little disappointed. It feels very much like Twilight Princess (and I say that as someone who really liked TP):

< Same (or very similar) sound effects in some places
< The first temple feels like it could be in TP almost unchanged
< Got to a chest: it's a key, got to a chest: it's the temple map

The motion controls work for me about 80% of the time, which is highly frustrating when I need precision. It's better than I expected to be honest, but not perfect. In fact I'd rather have the advanced skills from TP with a GC controller than any motion functionality at all.
Wut. This is a con?

Anyways, like others have said, besides it being a Zelda game, TP and SS are nothing alike

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Zelda Cycle:

2. Nintendo: We're sorry the last game took so long to get going, next will be quicker we promise

4. (back to 1)
How does this game start slow?
Wake up, recover a cat, investigate your bird, win the competition, follow Fi, get the sword, descend to the surface
Maybe an hour tops before you're actually in the meat of the game. Nothing like what was wrong with TP where you had the damn Sacred Tear hunt before you had any significant portion of traditional gameplay.

Sober

So I am totally stuck at the start of eldin volcano
how do I blow a hole in the cork to let the lava out since I can't run across the bone bridge with one in hand, also there is that a blocked path nearby with a bomb flower too far away on the other side?

I hated having to
scroll whenever he threw those pumpkins too far. It threw my aiming off almost every time.

The worst thing is when you can go an entire game without a
flashing pumpkin.
There should be a set number of those per game >:C

Or when you have like 2 seconds left
and he just stands there waiting. MOTHERFUCKING THROW IT!

EDIT: AHAHA, 690 BITCHES :D

Thank fuck
that's a piece of heart
. I may have killed someone otherwise.

I don't really know why I'm spoiling half of this but OH WELL.

Evlar

Banned
So I am totally stuck at the start of eldin volcano
how do I blow a hole in the cork to let the lava out since I can't run across the bone bridge with one in hand, also there is that a blocked path nearby with a bomb flower too far away on the other side?

Bomb bowling.

Jomjom

Banned
Wut. This is a con?

Anyways, like others have said, besides it being a Zelda game, TP and SS are nothing alike

I'm so glad to hear this. TP was one of the worst Zelda games in the series. It was actually a major reason I lost a lot of faith in reviewers because of the glowing praise they gave TP when it obviously did not deserve it.

Just finished the main game and I have no idea where it falls in the grand scheme of ranking 3D Zelda games. To me this Zelda felt like it was taking various elements from all the other entries and combining them into the ultimate Zelda game but ended up feeling more like a "jack of all trades, master of none".
It certainly has had tons of work put into it though.

Zomba13

I didn't have much of a problem with the games start. Yeah, I suppose it is slow compared to some other games but I liked it. It sets up the world (well, sky) and the relationships between the characters while also introducing you to the combat and bird flight.

Wut. This is a con?

It's a tad irksome to me that it's using the exact same sounds samples for Link's "exertions" and a few other things. But that's mostly because I always hated Link's grunts. Just a nitpick, though.

Zelda Cycle:

4. (back to 1)

Twilight Princess's beginning was a lot longer than Skyward Sword's beginning.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The worst thing is when you can go an entire game without a
flashing pumpkin.
There should be a set number of those per game >:C

Or when you have like 2 seconds left
and he just stands there waiting. MOTHERFUCKING THROW IT!
Haha, yep.
The
flashing pumpkins
were seemingly completely random. In the game where I reached the required score, I was lucky enough to get about three. In some games I had zero.

Guevara

Pretty much my experience.

Uhm, not really. TP started with a couple of hours of annoying mundane tasks with unlikable characters. SS starts with a much shorter and interesting introduction.
"Unlikeable", "mundane" and "interesting" are all your opinions. To me, running around the academy talking to Pipet, etc was mundane and annoying. But I agree it's more like an 1-1.5 hours of baloney instead of 3-4 hours like in TP. Really I don't want more than 10 minutes of dialogue and fetch quests before going out to fight monsters, but that will never happen.

Emitan

I'm not really a Zelda fan, but I'll be damned if Zelda isn't so cute in this.

HbnpN.jpg

In comparison to TP, maybe the most faintest praise of them all.

I wasn't looking for evaluation of degree, but okay.

The post I quoted was specifically referring to Zelda openings vs. the previous game. It is incorrect to say this one is longer than the one immediately preceding it. If you think I'm wrong, I'd like to hear why.

D-Pad

I've dropped Link into the lava a couple of times just to hear his goofy "achhothothothothot". Reminds me of WW Link for sure. <3

Anth0ny

"Unlikeable", "mundane" and "interesting" are all your opinions. To me, running around the academy talking to Pipet, etc was mundane and annoying. But I agree it's more like an 1-1.5 hours of baloney instead of 3-4 hours like in TP. Really I don't want more than 10 minutes of dialogue and fetch quests before going out to fight monsters, but that will never happen.

Ocarina of Time

It's a tad irksome to me that it's using the exact same sounds samples for Link's "exertions" and a few other things. But that's mostly because I always hated Link's grunts. Just a nitpick, though.

I don't think they're using the exact same sound samples, just the same voice actor and the same voice direction.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
In comparison to TP, maybe the most faintest praise of them all.
I had no problems with the start. It immersed you in the settings, introduced you to the main cast of characters, and most importantly gave you a more personal reason to embark on the subsequent adventure. The only "filler" part was, if anything,
the ceremony (which is actually meant to introduce the flying mechanic). You're not even forced to practice the sword after you pick it up, it's completely optional, and so is rescuing the cat over the roof.
Throwing you straight into a dungeon would have meant giving up all that characterization, and we're talking about 40 minutes of content tops. I took my time, and that part was already over in about one hour.

CassSept

[Final boss spoilers!]
So when I see fatal blow does the fight end? I got there on my second attempt with one heart left but missed the cue and after 2-3 more hits I accidentally struck his sword :/

The fight is pretty hard either way, but not really THAT hard. Zelda 2 was worse. Definitely the hardest 3D Zelda boss though.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
"Unlikeable", "mundane" and "interesting" are all your opinions. To me, running around the academy talking to Pipet, etc was mundane and annoying. But I agree it's more like an 1-1.5 hours of baloney instead of 3-4 hours like in TP.
Sure, opinions matter a lot in how much you like certain characters and settings. Not as much for the mundane tasks, though (fishing for a cat, goat herding). SS does have a mundane task (the cat over the roof) in the beginning, but it's optional.

Also, personal gripe, but it's "bologna", which is already a misspelling of "bolognese sauce" and is pronounced more like bowl-ou-nya.

Really I don't want more than 10 minutes of dialogue and fetch quests before going out to fight monsters, but that will never happen.
In a six hour game, I'd obviously agree. In a longer game, I'd rather be introduced to the game world first, without skipping this chance just to get faster to the action I'm already supposed to be enjoying for the rest of the game. But it's a personal preference I guess.

Top Bottom