• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

[Final boss spoilers!]
So when I see fatal blow does the fight end? I got there on my second attempt with one heart left but missed the cue and after 2-3 more hits I accidentally struck his sword :/

The fight is pretty hard either way, but not really THAT hard. Zelda 2 was worse. Definitely the hardest 3D Zelda boss though.

I think it required me to attempt 3 fatal blows before it finally hit him

CassSept

[final boss]
I think it required me to attempt 3 fatal blows before it finally hit him

Haha yeah, the window for fatal blow is really short. I guess I'll kill him tomorrow as soon as I have time, but the fight is quite interesting and indeed challenging.

Out of curiosity, how do you kill him without a shield? My strategy was simply parry-parry-parry-hit into infinity but I've seen somewhere earlier in this thread that shield is not necessary and that's quite interesting how to do it

I'm sure this advice was already given but what's the best way of playing this on an HDTV? Turn sharpness all the way down was one, right?

Evlar

Banned
Make sure you don't move the nunchuk, I always keep the nunchuk to my chest and do a stabbing motion with the remote, it never fails for me.

I'll try that when I get home. I know it's something to do with tensing up in combat. I have no trouble with stabbing when punkin' chunkin.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
[final boss]

Haha yeah, the window for fatal blow is really short. I guess I'll kill him tomorrow as soon as I have time, but the fight is quite interesting and indeed challenging.

Out of curiosity, how do you kill him without a shield? My strategy was simply parry-parry-parry-hit into infinity but I've seen somewhere earlier in this thread that shield is not necessary and that's quite interesting how to do it
[final boss spoilers]
You mean the first part or the second part of the fight?
If you mean the second part, _______________________________Skyward Strike all the time. It looks fucking awesome here.____________________________________

[final boss]

[yet even more final boss spoilers]
For the first form you can backflip away from his sword swipes and then counter with a jump attack before his guard is back up and you can get in a few other hits as well which was how I was initially fighting the boss, I figured he would just smash through my shield at first so it took me a while to begin the parry approach.
Second part just relies on the lightning really so the shield isn't necessary but it certainly is useful

For those lamenting the death of exploration in the game, try this. Stop using your dowsing rod and just look for places on your own. It dramatically changes the feel of those quests.

oatmeal

Banned
Whew, damn my spoilerific hands. I highlighted the final boss spoilers before even reading the heading, but realized what I had done before reading.

feelsgoodman

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Any pro willing to give me advice on the best way to play the bamboo cutting game?

I'm pretty horrible at it.
This is probably the most awesome way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_5rV47Zb14

For those lamenting the death of exploration in the game, try this. Stop using your dowsing rod and just look for places on your own. It dramatically changes the feel of those quests.
This is good advice. No dowsing, unless you're really stuck, makes the exploration A LOT more interesting.

Whew, damn my spoilerific hands. I highlighted the final boss spoilers before even reading the heading, but realized what I had done before reading.

feelsgoodman
Damn.

Guevara

That's a good idea. Is there any way to stop the game from making that beeping noise when it wants you to press a certain button? Pro mode?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
That's a good idea. Is there any way to stop the game from making that beeping noise when it wants you to press a certain button? Pro mode?
For dowsing? Activate it with C, and press C again immediately to close.

I haven't had Fi beep to get me to dowse things past the first area. When she does beep, it's usually just three quick sounds and then she stops.

Thanks for the spoiler warnings though. The way text has been in spoiler tags with added warnings has worked really well for quite some time in here. Lets hope it continues to do so.

Guevara

Just now getting to the first dungeon, 7 hours in. I think I spent a bit TOO much time exploring. God, I love this game. xD
I said wow, lol. I have a tendency to try and find everything too but only spent about an hour
exploring the woods. EDIT: after finding the Kee Kees (sp?) but before entering the temple

TheExodu5

Banned
I honestly have no idea what you could have spent 7 hours on. o_O

Flying to different places probably. Took me about 4.5 hours to finally get into the first dungeon because I did some pumpkin soup sidequest.

Anyways, I'm going to try the game on my Wii tonight. I'll report back on input lag and see if it's a lot better than Dolphin. This is going to make or break the game for me. I'm hopeful.

Legend

Hello everyone,
I'm having some issues with the wii motion plus accessory; it is not working properly. The beetle controls, bird controls, and what have you is off; the swords controls are good.
Any suggestions/Tips ? (This is my first WM+ game)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Definitely. I decided to stop dowsing in the area before the first dungeon and exploring is so much better as a result.

Hello everyone,
I'm having some issues with the wii motion plus accessory; it is not working properly. The beetle controls, bird controls, and what have you is off; the swords controls are good.
You need to include more information on how exactly they are 'off'. Do you experience input lag? Do your moves translate into something entirely else in the game? etc.

Hello everyone,

If you're pointing the Wii remote forward and your targeting is going to the left or some other direction press down on the d pad and it will bring it back the the center.

Medalion

Banned
Just now getting to the first dungeon, 7 hours in. I think I spent a bit TOO much time exploring. God, I love this game. xD

That sounds about right... I spent about 5 hours straight up doing the main quests, just getting to the front door of the first dungeon, forget about I had difficulty figuring out how to open it with the non-help of a deceptive clue.

Guevara

Hello everyone,
I'm interested in this too. It seems like I'm really disciplined with my hands but I still have issues tightrope walking, flying the bird, etc.

I never had issues with the rolling ball stages of Mario Galaxy, for example, but I fall off the tight rope at least once every time.

Anth0ny

Is Ghirahim's voice actor the same as Orochimaru's voice actor? It sounds a lot like him.

Nope, it's Ryusei Nakao. Famous for the voice of

UiuJK.jpg

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm interested in this too. It seems like I'm really disciplined with my hands but I still have issues tightrope walking, flying the bird, etc.

I never had issues with the rolling ball stages of Mario Galaxy, for example, but I fall off the tight rope at least once every time.

Make sure you have the sensor bar on and in view of your Wii remote. For certain actions, the game uses the sensor bar to "reposition" itself whenever you look at it. I've noticed that this is definitely the case for the sword fighting and the balancing.

Insaniac

lol, rescuing the cat took maybe all of 40 seconds to do, and people are complaining about mundane tasks? I fully enjoyed the beginning, i took my time and explored the town, talked to NPCs. I became comfortable with the game before i embarked on the real journey.

JaseMath

Anyone looking for a bundle should check GameStop. The one near me got two unreserved extras (and I walked out with one of them).

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Hello everyone,
If you're talking about the aiming, just remember that the game isn't using the infrared pointer for aiming. So, you're not really pointing at the screen. When you select an object or ability that uses aiming, you define a "center", and every movement you do is relative to that center. It's exactly like moving a mouse on the mouse pad after you place it in the middle.
This means you don't have to point at the screen, you can keep your hands relaxed for example. And if things seem too wrong, you can use the down button on the d-pad to re-center (just like placing the mouse again in the middle of the mouse pad). If you make sure you're pointing towards the screen before activating these objects, you won't have to re-center often.

lol, rescuing the cat took maybe all of 40 seconds to do, and people are complaining about mundane tasks? I fully enjoyed the beginning, i took my time and explored the town, talked to NPCs. I became comfortable with the game before i embarked on the real journey.
I agree, the pacing felt just right to me. I think it really adds to the whole "about to embark on an epic quest" feel when you have some proper background and narrative development before-hand. Of course I wouldn't want it to be too long or boring but I found the town to be incredibly interesting and charming so I didn't have any issue with the opening.

CassSept

My plans changed and I've managed to finish the game, yay! Took me 28 hours altogether, that's definitely the longest Zelda (at least when it comes to the main quest). I'll probably write my full opinion tomorrow, but as of now this is my favourite Zelda game. So good.

For now, ending spoilers.
I nailed Demise on my third attempt using one Potion+ and still saving 8 hearts or so, so the boss took me ~22 hearts. Needless to say that's well, a lot. Mostly due to my clumsiness, but there is no denying he is the hardest boss of all 3D Zeldas.

Well, Ganondorf being an incarnation of Demise was predictable from the moment his full form showed up and looked like, well, an incarnation of Ganondorf. So that confirms that Ganon/dorf is stuck in an infinite reincarnation loop, much like Link and Zelda. At least we have a definitive (?) origin story from where did Ganon came.

Old woman was Impa, well, again, kind of predictable but it's nice that they brought it back since we didn't have a true old Impa (Impaz doesn't count!) since NES games I believe.

The story from Zelda's side during the credits was a nice touch. And the whole sequence reminded me how amazing Sand Sea was. Definitely the highlight of the game for me.
And I guess that's all I have to say for now. Amazing game, through and through.

jonno394

Sweet Lord, Dungeon 5, brilliant dungeon and the most epic boss battle I think there has ever been. That
escaping the sinking ship part
just gave me goosebumps and
emerging out to the rai and the carnage
just set the mood for the whole fight.

I'm slightly concerned the sixth dungeon is gonna let me down seeing as I think it's another
fire
dungeon.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
The
beetle
upgrade is so fun. There's nothing quite like
dropping bombs on enemies

I have to study for a math test tonight, but I want to try to at least get through
Lanayru Desert
tonight. That area is so damn great. And after the test tomorrow morning, I'm clear for Thanksgiving week.

CAVE343

Found the only thing I dislike about Skyward Sword...the swimming.

I hate swimming in every game!

Up to the forth dungeon, and enjoying every bit of the game. Hope the fourth dungeon is even better than the third one. The item given in the third dungeon was great and surprising to say the least, hoping to see more of those. I kinda miss Hyrule Field btw (especially the theme) but the pre dungeon sections are done really nice so far.

Flying to different places probably. Took me about 4.5 hours to finally get into the first dungeon because I did some pumpkin soup sidequest.

Anyways, I'm going to try the game on my Wii tonight. I'll report back on input lag and see if it's a lot better than Dolphin. This is going to make or break the game for me. I'm hopeful.

Make sure to sit a couple meters away from the sensor bar and monitor. I've been replaying Twilight Princess on Dolphin, and the IR tracking goes completely haywire if the Wiimote isn't a certain distance away from the sensor bar, failing to properly register any motion inputs. With sufficient distance and clear line-of-sight, the controls worked just fine. Tinker with the sensor bar/IR sensitivity if you need to.

Poyunch

The problem I have with talking in Zelda games is I want to talk with NPCs to develop the world around me but it almost always ends up as more of the game trying to teach you to do something.

I'm still early in the game but there isn't much dialog for the sake of dialog and all story development is in the cutscenes. That just makes me want to rush through the game as opposed to taking my time.

Dartastic

[final boss spoilers]
You mean the first part or the second part of the fight?
If you mean the second part, _______________________________Skyward Strike all the time. It looks fucking awesome here.____________________________________
Crap. I didn't do that. =(

...I kinda wanna go back in to see what it looks like. Haha. But yeah. I did the first approach also. With the shield.

Amir0x

Banned
This is game is causing just a neverending flow of contradictory feelings. For every one great thing, it's almost always immediately balanced out by another really poor design choice. I'm almost shocked at the amount of ideas in here that such a seasoned development crew like the Zelda team could STILL think is acceptable in this day and age. They half go out of their way to ruin all their clever puzzles by just having people blurt out the answer anyway. I can't tell you the number of times I've had to literally force myself to look away from the screen so as not to have the answer ruined for me. This is sub tier-C development philosophy, not fit even for shovelware devs. They should truly know better, and this is the worst I've ever seen it in a Zelda game not called Phantom Hourglass. I should have expected it - every time Nintendo goes into one of their "experimental Zelda" titles, they see the need to add a billion hints and tutorial segments so as not to offend their shitty subset of casual gamers who must be cripples or mentally handicapped as to really need this much handholding. At least that's who I imagine they're playtesting this with.

Other than that, I mean, I love the before dungeon segments when they're not getting overly fetchy, and I love the visual design, and the music is great, and the puzzles are starting to get really good (provided I am not getting the answers spoiled for me because of the game's inept hint system), and the bosses are incredible. But boy Nintendo has spoiled a lot of good will with this shito.

Combat motion is a failure 40% of the time, just slows the pacing down and so far has done little to nothing to actually amplify the quality of non-boss encounters. So maybe they should have done motion+ for bosses only, and reverted to a more standard button combat system or something for general encounters. I hate having to hope a motion is correctly interpreted, else suffer the game's shitty wrath.

The problem I have with talking in Zelda games is I want to talk with NPCs to develop the world around me but it almost always ends up as more of the game trying to teach you to do something.

I'm still early in the game but there isn't much dialog for the sake of dialog and all story development is in the cutscenes. That just makes me want to rush through the game as opposed to taking my time.

Have you gotten the sword yet?

Xane

The
beetle
upgrade is so fun. There's nothing quite like
dropping bombs on enemies

I have to study for a math test tonight, but I want to try to at least get through
Lanayru Desert
tonight. That area is so damn great. And after the test tomorrow morning, I'm clear for Thanksgiving week.

Upgrade the Hook Beetle in the Scrap Shop! Way more fun that way. :D

Top Bottom