• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Yeah, I wish they used the sensor bar instead, so I could instantly aim wherever in the screen I want rather than always start at the center. Took a while to get used to first centering, then pressing the view/item button to get it close to the behaviour I'm used to... But I guess I should stop whining about this already...

D-Pad

Jaggies are terrible in this game on my smaller 26" LCD television. Blown up my 62" Panasonic, I hardly notice them at all. So the bigger the better I presume?

Yeah, in the second area, it was definitely showing me more than one at a time.

Though after that, I decided to stop using dowsing since mostly it can just be boiled down to "What have I not seen yet?" And I like going by that question more than being told a direction.

Each time I've used the dowsing I've only gotten one signal. As John pointed out it was the closest item being shown, but it led me on sort of a... "natural" route that I assumed it was based on a predetermined order. Thinking about it now, it's most probably the way Nintendo designed the area rather than the dowsing item itself.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Yeah, I wish they used the sensor bar instead, so I could instantly aim wherever in the screen I want rather than always start at the center. Took a while to get used to first centerint, then pressing the view/item button to get it close to the behaviour I'm used to...
As much as I love IR, the one downside is that you can't track reliably the cursor once it goes outside the screen. Remember how TP paused the game every time it happened?
The method they used for SS is probably less intuitive, but it fixes this issue.

Evlar

Banned
The sword uses the sensor bar to calibrate, yes.

The aiming cursor doesn't use the sensor bar, actually it doesn't use the TV at all. It works exactly like a mouse. You can move it from its central position regardless of where the TV is, just like you move a mouse on the mouse pad.

Exactly. If your neutral stance is pointing towards the middle of the television, it will be the neutral position the cursor moves from.

As to the inevitable question of why they did it this way: This game's aiming mechanism is reminiscent of Metroid Prime 3. Their approach in Zelda SS, I think, is an improvement over that implementation.

In both games you have an "aiming" or "looking" function that involves a floating cursor that "pushes" the edge of the screen to rotate your view. In MP3, for example, if you point a little to the right the cursor would sit on the right side of the screen. If you point further right the cursor/reticule would move to the edge, and then the entire view would start spinning rightward. Skyward Sword's look/dowsing mechanism works almost exactly the same way, though the sensitivity has been tweaked (meaning, size of the deadband in the center and speed of spin at the edges).

However, the way the console accomplishes this is different between the two games. In Metroid Prime 3 the reticule location on the screen was defined by the Sensor Bar. This means you had to always point right at the screen when looking around (sometimes uncomfortable). Further, it meant you could "lose" the sensor bar- if you pointed too far right or left the camera on the Remote couldn't see both lights on the Sensor Bar and an irritating "Point at the screen" dialogue box would pop up, pausing the game, right in the middle of the action.

Zelda SS doesn't have this problem since it doesn't aim with the Sensor bar. You can turn the remote as far as you please and it won't give you a pop-up warning, and you can point wherever you wish when you start the "look" action, which helps comfort.

hatchx

Banned
I the only one disappointed so far?

I am in the first dungeon, and so far I'm not too impressed.

Way too much boring dialog. I get it, but Fi makes it worse. I just find the talking very boring and full of jargon. Not to mention every item I pick up explains that I picked it up. What ever happened to reading about your findings on your own time, by choice? Showing me where a skull-item goes in my pouch, especially in the middle of a fight, is just irritating. Tell me this slows down or stops.

Exploring the woods was not very exciting. Looking for four little testicle-mole things before moving forward felt like a chore. Then boom I am at the dungeon. Is this the entire forest area? I felt like I breezed through 1/3 of the ground map. Tell me these areas open up with more items!

The graphics are a mix of amazing and bad. The blurry painting look was very hard to get used to. The character models are great. There is some compression in darker areas that looks heavy. It's very odd looking

With that said, my favorite part of it all is the controls. The swordplay feels like a dream.

The Lamp

I the only one disappointed so far?

I am in the first dungeon, and so far I'm not too impressed.

Way too much boring dialog. I get it, but Fi makes it worse. I just find the talking very boring and full of jargon. Not to mention every item I pick up explains that I picked it up. What ever happened to reading about your findings on your own time, by choice? Showing me where a skull-item goes in my pouch, especially in the middle of a fight, is just irritating. Tell me this slows down or stops.

Exploring the woods was not very exciting. Looking for four little testicle-mole things before moving forward felt like a chore. Then boom I am at the dungeon. Is this the entire forest area? I felt like I breezed through 1/3 of the ground map. Tell me these areas open up with more items!

The graphics are a mix of amazing and bad. The blurry painting look was very hard to get used to. The character models are great. There is some compression in darker areas that looks heavy. It's very odd looking

With that said, my favorite part of it all is the controls. The swordplay feels like a dream.

Everyone says the first dungeon is unimpressive.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just continue on.

The Lamp

So it gets better on-ward? I found the entire forest section rather uneventful.

Pretty much everyone says it gets better onwards.

I hope/assume that the forest section was designed as an intro "this is what a dungeon will feel like" section for newbies to Zelda.

D-Pad

I the only one disappointed so far? ....With that said, my favorite part of it all is the controls. The swordplay feels like a dream.

Number 1 never* gets better. In fact, the item collection resets when you turn off the game. So when you pick it up again, you'll be shown where the item fits in the pouch. Again. You know, to be sure you never ever forget.

The forest was indeed pretty weak. I can say for certainty that the second area, where I am now, is waaaay better and is far more challenging.

* Edit - I said never but never is a strong word, and I'm only on the second temple. Sorry.

You can sell bugs? Where do you sell bugs? I guess I'll start bothering to catch some now, I wasn't before since I don't give a shit about potions. Should I give a shit about potions? Just past the first dungeon fyi.

Zomba13

The first dungeon is unimpressive but it is the first one, designed to get you used to the controls and what a dungeon is etc. They get much much better and the pre-dungeon areas get bigger and more involved too.

Dartastic

Ya'll need to hurry up and beat the game so we can discuss the story. I'm so excited to talk about it! I just finished the game last night. Told myself I was gonna play for just a few more hours thinking I'm at the end of the game. Ended up beating it at 5am!

I'm not gonna lie, someone needs to give the writers at Nintendo an award. They did such a great job with the villain's dialogue.

My jaw dropping moment in the game. Huge Story Spoiler, don't highlight unless you've beaten the game.
When Link's hand started to glow and I realized he was emitting light from a Triforce piece that doesn't belong to him. Then Holy shit when he got Power! I actually said out loud "HOLY SHIT"
Yeah, that shit was dope.

Dascu

You can sell bugs? Where do you sell bugs? I guess I'll start bothering to catch some now, I wasn't before since I don't give a shit about potions. Should I give a shit about potions? Just past the first dungeon fyi.

Strich, at night, in his room in the Academy.

Evlar

Banned

One of Groose's lackeys- Stritch I think- buys bugs. Go to his room at night.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Not to mention every item I pick up explains that I picked it up. What ever happened to reading about your findings on your own time, by choice? Showing me where a skull-item goes in my pouch, especially in the middle of a fight, is just irritating. Tell me this slows down or stops.
Well you know how rupees were handled in TP. It's like that every time you turn the game on.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Just as the game was getting good it hammers a nail in my dick with returning to the first area to do a asset re-use challenge to get a macguffin, except the macguffin is a macguffin that will allow me to go onward for the REAL macguffin, which involves swimming to an NPC that then needs another macguffin in the first temple (now with more enemies!!) to then go back and continue my quest for THE ACTUAL MACGUFFIN.

NO. FUCK YOU NINTENDO.

Yanksfan

You guys are crazy. The opening tempo to the game is perfect. Yes, the reminder messages get to be redundant, but it is hardly a negative to the game.

Evlar

Banned
You can also sell the materials you collect to
Rupin the salesman in his house, at night. He only buys certain things, and the list changes every night.

Nicktendo86

It does take some getting used to but when you do the controls are superior to IR aiming, I don't even bother to point at the tv now which is a much more comfortable way to play.

Bit-Bit

You'll be revisiting the Woods throughout your playtime with the game. And each time you return, it gets bigger and bigger.

The first two dungeons are rather run of the mill for Zelda dungeons. But starting with the third dungeon onward, the dungeons become brilliant.

If the first dungeon is the worst, I'm in for a treat. That was probably my favorite first Zelda dungeon in recent memory. Loved the color scheme, the aesthetics, the music, some nice puzzle mechanic demonstrations, and a fuck-you boss (relatively speaking).

The Deku/forest theme that usually represents the first dungeon bores me, so I was glad for the slight switch-up in environment.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It does take some getting used to but when you do the controls are superior to IR aiming, I don't even bother to point at the tv now which is a much more comfortable way to play.
Yesterday I was playing in a really lazy position which meant my centre point of reference for the remote kept changing, but no matter since pressing down resets it and everything is hunky dory and I could keep my remote it whatever position I liked. However the pointer does seem to be extra fast when you go back to the Wii's menu.

Akarin is back!
I felt naked having no avatar over the past two weeks.

Raw64life

So can you get the bundle in any stores or is it only online? I'll have my game waiting for me when I get home but I still don't own a Wii Motion +. If I can get the bundle somewhere I'll just return it but I'd rather not spend the $30+ dollar on a Motion + just to play one game.

How's the item selection? I remember seeing some videos bragging how this was the fastest and most intuitive way to select items.

Evlar

Banned
How's the item selection? I remember seeing some videos bragging how this was the fastest and most intuitive way to select items.

Really great, in my opinion. A definite improvement over the usual Zelda "map hotkeys/revisit the Item menu if you need something else" system.

Nicktendo86

Again when you get used to it, amazing. You hold b for items and make a gesture in the direction of the item you need and release. Same for potions etc which are assigned to the minus button, item selection is very quick. Can't really think of a better system tbh...

McNum

It is pretty quick. You need to get used to it, but all items are a mere Hold B, flick remote, release B away, always. Potions and such are on the - button, but same concept.

Radial menus for special items pretty much like TP, so far they work great. Hold down B to bring up the menu and gesture in the direction of the item, tap B to ready/put away. There's a separate menu for consumables and equipment with the minus button.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Just woke up after a solid 24 hour day playing Skyward Sword. I have not beaten the game yet, but am getting close. This is, easily, head and shoulders above all other Zelda games (and I've played and loved most all of them).

MY semi-detailed analysis of the game --

BEWARE OF SMALL SMALL SPOILERS. NO STORY SPOILERS AT ALL!

-- 1. Focus is taken almost completely away from the overworld and put into a rich gameplay experience. At first, I thought it was weird that I would be getting to my destinations so fast without seing the moon rise, the stars twinkle, and everything go silent. I was disappointed by the lack of atmosphere that I experienced in WindWaker. However, as soon as I got into the rhythm of the game, nothing beats this! And it makes sense -- the overworld theme is the shortest Zelda has ever seen (other than the NES Zeldas), and the speed at which you go everywhere is much faster. I will be disappointed if they do not open up the game at the end and allow night travel. But for the context of pacing, this is unmatched in Zelda.

-- 2. The Dungeons are impecable. Some stand tall alongside the pantheon of best Zelda dungeons ever, and some stand even taller. Without going into details yet:

- The first dungeon is a simple exercise in becoming accustomed to what there is to expect in a Zelda dungeon. There are no real twists here at all, other than you'll be using your motion plus. It's by far the worst dungeon in the game, but is well designed, easy to understand (so it's never frustrating), and short. This introduces your bread and butter. It also has a fantastic first boss.

- The second dungeon starts ramping up the design. Set to a fantastic scope -- a mountain -- you make use of the entire map in, yes, a fetch quest. While it is slightly draining that you must search for certain objects, the design and gameplay around it is fantastic. This is the second worst dungeon in the game, but is very fun, creative, and mixes some frustration with a lot of joy.

- The third dungeon is, so far, the best in the game. This one stands above all other Zelda dungeons and sets a new standard for creative design, item usage, and pacing. The item you receive is legitimately engaging in puzzles and combat. What's best, however, is just how "unzelda" everything is. This was a joy from the moment I stepped foot into the dungeon, to the nearly dead foot I stepped out with. Unfortunately, the boss here is underwhelming. It is well designed and fun, but significantly easier than the bosses in the dungeons surrounding him.

- The fourth dungeon is another huge victory for the Zelda team. Largely consisting of the same praise I said above, this dungeon lacks the singular (amazing) idea that the third had. However, what is left is a rippingly engaging dungeon, a fantastic new item, wonderful new experiences to add to your Zelda collection, and the best boss in the game up until that point. This is a gorgeous dungeon, and I can't wait to play it again.

- The fifth dungeon comes after some of the best pre-dungeon content in the game. The dungeon itself is "untraditional" in the way that the snow peak ruins were untraditional in Twilight Princess. However, this one is less tedious, focuses on a similar idea that makes the 3rd dungeon so good, has a fantastic theme (characters, location, etc), adds a welcome return to an old item, and is fun. I'm at the boss of this dungeon right now, and I can't wait to find out what it is!

-- 3. The pre-dungeon content is often genuinely fun, mostly offering dungeonesque experiences in a more open environment. In my opinion, these sections replace Hyrule Field in OoT and TP well as they are more engaging, yet still act as pieces of land to "go through" in order to get to the next dungeon.

- The beginning of the game has, sadly, far far far too much dialogue. This is also a general complaint about Fi. Not only does Fi interrupt the flow of the game by interjecting, but also the length of what she says about topics that are either mundane or obvious (which is almost every time she speaks), makes her a nuisance more so that any other Zelda companion. Prepare to not read and skip skip skip most of her text. She and Zelda ruin the introduction with how much they talk (they both get better as the game progresses). It is still, however, just a simple exercise in going through the motions in order to leave skyloft and begin your adventure. It is not as bad as Twilight Princess's introduction -- there are far fewer stupid tasks, but a lot more stupid dialogue.

- After this, the pre-dungeon content gets better and better after each dungeon. I look forward to it now, when I started the game dreading it.

That's all for now!

So can you get the bundle in any stores or is it only online? I'll have my game waiting for me when I get home but I still don't own a Wii Motion +. If I can get the bundle somewhere I'll just return it but I'd rather not spend the $30+ dollar on a Motion + just to play one game.

The bundles is in stores but they really do appear to be limited so they may be difficult to find.

Thanks for the item selection answers. Didn't see it being mentioned in any of the reviews I read nor did I see any impressions about it in threads. Good to know it works fine.

One of Groose's lackeys- Stritch I think- buys bugs. Go to his room at night.

Quick question on this, because it might change depending on where he's up to...

doesn't stritch disappear off into the Thunderhead later in the game? I'm pretty sure he's not in his room of a night near the end of the game

Just woke up after a solid 24 hour day playing Skyward Sword. I have not beaten the game yet, but am getting close. This is, easily, head and shoulders above all other Zelda games (and I've played and loved most all of them).

-- 1. Focus is taken almost completely away from the overworld and put into a rich gameplay experience. At first, I thought it was weird that I would be getting to my destinations so fast without seing the moon rise, the stars twinkle, and everything go silent. I was disappointed by the lack of atmosphere that I experienced in WindWaker. However, as soon as I got into the rhythm of the game, nothing beats this! And it makes sense -- the overworld theme is the shortest Zelda has ever seen (other than the NES Zeldas), and the speed at which you go everywhere is much faster. I will be disappointed if they do not open up the game at the end and allow night travel. But for the context of pacing, this is unmatched in Zelda.

-- 2. The Dungeons are impecable. Some stand tall alongside the pantheon of best Zelda dungeons ever, and some stand even taller. Without going into details yet:

- The first dungeon is a simple exercise in becoming accustomed to what there is to expect in a Zelda dungeon. There are no real twists here at all, other than you'll be using your motion plus. It's by far the worst dungeon in the game, but is well designed, easy to understand (so it's never frustrating), and short. This introduces your bread and butter. It also has a fantastic first boss.

- The second dungeon starts ramping up the design. Set to a fantastic scope -- a mountain -- you make use of the entire map in, yes, a fetch quest. While it is slightly draining that you must search for certain objects, the design and gameplay around it is fantastic. This is the second worst dungeon in the game, but is very fun, creative, and mixes some frustration with a lot of joy.

- The third dungeon is, so far, the best in the game. This one stands above all other Zelda dungeons and sets a new standard for creative design, item usage, and pacing. The item you receive is legitimately engaging in puzzles and combat. What's best, however, is just how "unzelda" everything is. This was a joy from the moment I stepped foot into the dungeon, to the nearly dead foot I stepped out with. Unfortunately, the boss here is underwhelming. It is well designed and fun, but significantly easier than the bosses in the dungeons surrounding him.

- The fourth dungeon is another huge victory for the Zelda team. Largely consisting of the same praise I said above, this dungeon lacks the singular (amazing) idea that the third had. However, what is left is a rippingly engaging dungeon, a fantastic new item, wonderful new experiences to add to your Zelda collection, and the best boss in the game up until that point. This is a gorgeous dungeon, and I can't wait to play it again.

- The fifth dungeon comes after some of the best pre-dungeon content in the game. The dungeon itself is "untraditional" in the way that the snow peak ruins were untraditional in Twilight Princess. However, this one is less tedious, focuses on a similar idea that makes the 3rd dungeon so good, has a fantastic theme (characters, location, etc), adds a welcome return to an old item, and is fun. I'm at the boss of this dungeon right now, and I can't wait to find out what it is!

-- 3. The pre-dungeon content is often genuinely fun, mostly offering dungeonesque experiences in a more open environment. In my opinion, these sections replace Hyrule Field in OoT and TP well as they are more engaging, yet still act as pieces of land to "go through" in order to get to the next dungeon.

- The beginning of the game has, sadly, far far far too much dialogue. This is also a general complaint about Fi. Not only does Fi interrupt the flow of the game by interjecting, but also the length of what she says about topics that are either mundane or obvious (which is almost every time she speaks), makes her a nuisance more so that any other Zelda companion. Prepare to not read and skip skip skip most of her text. She and Zelda ruin the introduction with how much they talk (they both get better as the game progresses). It is still, however, just a simple exercise in going through the motions in order to leave skyloft and begin your adventure. It is not as bad as Twilight Princess's introduction -- there are far fewer stupid tasks, but a lot more stupid dialogue.

- After this, the pre-dungeon content gets better and better after each dungeon. I look forward to it now, when I started the game dreading it.

That's all for now!

you increased my hype meter more than any review ^_^

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Anyone know the name of the Skyward Sword theme? Not the fast-paced one, but the one with the harp?

VerTiGo

Banned
I am enjoying the game quite a bit but 11 hours in and there's something missing from the experience.... WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE VILLAGES. My main issue from TP too.

Jaggies are terrible in this game on my smaller 26" LCD television. Blown up my 62" Panasonic, I hardly notice them at all. So the bigger the better I presume?

I would expect the opposite, unless the 62" Panasonic employs some edge smoothing tech or the 26" one is...em...not that good.

(or maybe you are sitting too far from the 62" to notice the jags)

Dascu

Quick question on this, because it might change depending on where he's up to...

doesn't stritch disappear off into the Thunderhead later in the game? I'm pretty sure he's not in his room of a night near the end of the game

During the day he's on his Bug Island, but at night he's still at his room. Fairly sure of it.

Pietepiet

I am enjoying the game quite a bit but 11 hours in and there's something missing from the experience.... WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE VILLAGES. My main issue from TP too.

This really doesn't bother me, considering how fun I find Skyloft to return to. The villagers have a lot of personality, so going back and discovering what new things they have to say is a lot of fun.
Plus, not having any more villages streamlines the experience a bit. Everything I need is in Skyloft, so I don't have to travel between two or more villages just to do some basic things.

Bit-Bit

That's all for now!

Very wells said. Agreed on all points.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The Flight song isn't what I'd call "classic", no part of it sticks in your mind the way Great Ocean or Dark World does. But it is really growing on me after my initial "meh" feelings.

This really doesn't bother me, considering how fun I find Skyloft to return to. The villagers have a lot of personality, so going back and discovering what new things they have to say is a lot of fun.
Plus, not having any more villages streamlines the experience a bit. Everything I need is in Skyloft, so I don't have to travel between two or more villages just to do some basic things.

Agreed, I love Skyloft. Reminds me of Clock Town, but with the charm of Windfall Island.

Top Bottom