• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
As much as I love IR, the one downside is that you can't track reliably the cursor once it goes outside the screen. Remember how TP paused the game every time it happened?
The method they used for SS is probably less intuitive, but it fixes this issue.
Never really saw that as an issue myself since if I'm aiming I'm aiming at something on screen, ie, something I can actually see, not something off it. That said, M+ could be used for when/if you go off screen rather than take over even when you're within the sensor bar's reach for no real reason... Like Red Steel 2 does it.

This really doesn't bother me, considering how fun I find Skyloft to return to. The villagers have a lot of personality, so going back and discovering what new things they have to say is a lot of fun.
Plus, not having any more villages streamlines the experience a bit. Everything I need is in Skyloft, so I don't have to travel between two or more villages just to do some basic things.

The problem for me is there's no reason to return to Skyloft other than to consciously go and see if there's any side quests. I think it'd feel a lot more natural if each 3 ground levels had their own villages with things to do. It would make returning to each one numerous times less tedious.

jackdoe

Man, after another hour of play, there are times when you love the controls and times you just want to rip out your freaking hair. It's cause the game sometimes loses track of where your sword should be, which results in the attacks registering incorrectly. Which is why I'm relying entirely on shield bash for the Bokoblin. Fuck the vertical/horizontal slash crapshoot when you're surrounded by four or more of these guys.

What makes the spotty sword play even more frustrating is the fact that I love everything else about the game.

And Fi, truly is popping out way too much in the early game. Holy crap.

-edit-
And having just completed a replay of Ys II and Ys Origins, I have to say the story of Skyward Sword is eerily similar in some aspects. Just hope there isn't the same twist.

plank

Wow this game is pretty darn good. Btw do I get a shield at the beginning or when your sword or does it come a little later in the game?

Man, after another hour of play, there are times when you love the controls and times you just want to rip out your freaking hair. It's cause the game sometimes loses track of where your sword should be, which results in the attacks registering incorrectly. Which is why I'm relying entirely on shield bash for the Bokoblin. Fuck the vertical/horizontal slash crapshoot when you're surrounded by four or more of these guys.

For this situation I use the spin attack. Works like a charm.

One nice thing about combat is that there is no need to kill enemies in just one way. You can get creative with the game:

Hard time with the Evolved Deku Babas? Throw them a bomb, they will fetch for it and kablamo. Or why don't use the Beetle to cut the flower stick?

That's just one example... (4th dungeon spoiler)
Now that I've recently find the whip I'm dying to see how it changes combat outside of the dungeon

Change weapons, use the environment, get creative. There's nothing like throwing a Bee Nest on top of a Bobokin and watching it fight with the Bees. Or throwing a rock down a hill killing some Deku Babas.

This is REALLY a fun game.

backlot

[Nintex];32856895 said:
For the shield:
You can buy one at the Bazaar

I actually got a free shield at the beginning. I think it was from the white haired guy hanging outside the dorm.

D-Pad

I would expect the opposite, unless the 62" Panasonic employs some edge smoothing tech or the 26" one is...em...no that good.

(or maybe you are sitting too far from the 62" to notice the jags)

It was very surprising, as the reason I decided to play on the smaller tv was because I'd thought it would look better. It was too crisp, and you could really see it on the animated figures. The HD systems' games look wonderful on it.

On the other hand, the 62" Panasonic LCD HDTV displays Wii games beautifully, but I find HD games a bit blurry. So perhaps you are on to something with that edge smoothing tech theory. However, I know nothing about it, and dare not mess with the settings my father have so carefully set. :p

[Nintex];32856895 said:
For the shield:
You can buy one at the Bazaar

Is this the only place you can get one? The guy who has you
chasing the cat thing
at the very start of the game asks you about the shield. He notices if you already has one and give you 20 rupees.

Edit: ^ Aha! Stupid me for rushing ahead. Took me forever to work up those rupees too!

I am enjoying the game quite a bit but 11 hours in and there's something missing from the experience.... WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE VILLAGES. My main issue from TP too.

Yeah, no villages and a boring, empty sky are my biggest issues. Skyloft gets old quick once you've seen everything.

[Nintex]

Yeah, no villages and a boring, empty sky are my biggest issues. Skyloft gets old quick once you've seen everything.

The problem with the Zelda team seems to be that they either have gameplay areas filled with content and a ton of stuff to do(Skyward Sword) or empty wastelands with nothing at all(Twilight Princess). But I have to say that in TP there was still the Zora/Goron domains and all. There was fuck all to do... but they were there. In any case SS kinda feels like a Metroid game since everything in the game is there for Link to solve or defeat. It's not like The Wind Waker which had a huge open world with a bunch of people minding their own business not knowing about Hyrule under the ocean. Maybe with a next gen Zelda Nintendo might try to create a game world filled with more villages.

Only a few hours into the game myself. I am really enjoying it but overall I think I liked TP better (up to this point). I also much preferred the tone of TP.

My main annoyances are controls. I HATE swinging the remote to throw. I also dislike any attack that requires you to move the remote AND the nunchuck at the same time. Other controls feel clunky as well for me but most of it will probably get worked out as I get use to them.

4th dungeon is pretty cool. Loved the mini-boss. I thought all the stuff you need to go through to access it was pretty damn neat also. Swimming in this game is fantastic.

CassSept

[endgame spoilers]

Well, I'm almost done with it. Final Silent Realm was surprisingly assholish and I barely made it on my second attempt, but managed to get there just before guards killed me.

Now, final dungeon was, again, amazing. A tad on the short side, but such an interesting idea an execution. When I approached the first tablet and understood what was happening I said wow.

I also giggled like an idiot when I saw the first piece of the Triforce just floating in front of me, hah.

I laughed at fake happy ending, with everyone feeling dandy when suddenly BAM! Ghirahim out of nowhere. The third fight about Ghirahim was surprising, finally he did something more than in previous fights.

Oh, here I have a question, is it even possible to beat the second form of Ghirahim without a shield? I couldn't get even a single shot at his errr, heart? without Shield Bash.

Either way, only Demise left. I walked into the portal to quickly see how the fight looks like and he quickly thrashed me. Oh joy.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
[endgame spoilers]

Oh, here I have a question, is it even possible to beat the second form of Ghirahim without a shield? I couldn't get even a single shot at his errr, heart? without Shield Bash.
[endgame spoilers]
You can repel his energy attacks with the sword, as long as you slash in the same direction (vertically or horizontally).

Yeah, the spin attack feels awful. I can also never get the finishing blow to trigger properly.
The finishing blow was the one move I had issues with, until I realized I needed to do a curved motion (like a flick forward) for both remote and nunchuk.

Zomba13

[endgame spoilers]

Well, I'm almost done with it. Final Silent Realm was surprisingly assholish and I barely made it on my second attempt, but managed to get there just before guards killed me.

Now, final dungeon was, again, amazing. A tad on the short side, but such an interesting idea an execution. When I approached the first tablet and understood what was happening I said wow.

I also giggled like an idiot when I saw the first piece of the Triforce just floating in front of me, hah.

I laughed at fake happy ending, with everyone feeling dandy when suddenly BAM! Ghirahim out of nowhere. The third fight about Ghirahim was surprising, finally he did something more than in previous fights.

Either way, only Demise left. I walked into the portal to quickly see how the fight looks like and he quickly thrashed me. Oh joy.

By second form do you mean when he has the great sword out? You can smash it and then stab at his crystal/weakpoint.

jackdoe

For this situation I use the spin attack. Works like a charm.

One nice thing about combat is that there is no need to kill enemies in just one way. You can get creative with the game:
Definitely. This helps to alleviate the frustration at the sometimes imprecise motion plus controls. Sword acting funky? Use shield bash or spin attack to circumvent that. Shield bash is my favorite move actually. 100% success rate at being registered AND it's great for a counterattack.

[endgame spoilers]

[big endgame spoilers continued obviously]

Yes, I beat him without shield parries. It probably would have been quicker with them though. I just got the occasional shot off after dodging his attacks, and once he generated the huge Buster-sword type blade - it took me a while to realise that it was acting as a shield and my sword was actually putting dents in it that he'd regenerate. Consequently I'd thrash his sword until I got an opening and then thrust forwards. Outside of the Koloktos, Tentalus and Levias - that was probably my favourite battle. In story terms, that subliminal flash of him as a dark-Master-Sword was awesome... I don't know why I never noticed the similarity in design to Fi - with all the diamonds etc - it was freaky when Demise finally appeared and drew the blade out of his chest, while he was still laughing.

CassSept

[spoilers all around]
[endgame spoilers]
You can repel his energy attacks with the sword, as long as you slash in the same direction (vertically or horizontally).

Ohhhh, I guess that makes sense. I just thought that these dark skyward strikes were supposed to be dodged and just tried to find an opening over and over again, but nothing came. It's nice how there are several ways to defeat this boss, huh

[big endgame spoilers continued obviously]

Yes, I beat him without shield parries. It probably would have been quicker with them though. I just got the occasional shot off after dodging his attacks, and once he generated the huge Buster-sword type blade - it took me a while to realise that it was acting as a shield and my sword was actually putting dents in it that he'd regenerate. Consequently I'd thrash his sword until I got an opening and then thrust forwards. Outside of the Koloktos, Tentalus and Levias - that was probably my favourite battle. In story terms, that subliminal flash of him as a dark-Master-Sword was awesome... I don't know why I never noticed the similarity in design to Fi - with all the diamonds etc - it was freaky when Demise finally appeared and drew the blade out of his chest, while he was still laughing.
We're talking about different phases of the fight. I've meant when he had that usual slim blade, when he got the huge one I figured out you just have to dent it and then slash at him.
I liked that fight indeed. I fully expected this to be another rematch like in Fire Sanctuary but it turned out to be a completely different fight, just as the third fight against The Imprisoned/Demise.
I caught that Ghirahim might be a sword after people pointed out similarities long ago and accidentally highlighting a spoiler that 'The Imprisoned' has some kind of a 'Dark Master Sword'. Thankfully I managed to avoid anything substantial.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Yeah, the spin attack feels awful. I can also never get the finishing blow to trigger properly.
This is obviously not you doing it wrong, but the game being MASSIVELY FLAWED!

I like the fact it takes a bit of challenge/dexterity to pull this finish move. A win button would be less fun.

Alexios

Some enemies needed better damage indicators. I was fighting that fat
bokoblin with the shield and spear
but he wasn't flashing red when I hit him so I wasn't even sure I was doing any damage at all since he took so many hits to be killed. Is there a trick to him I missed? Weak point for massive damage or whatever? Kind of lame you can stun him with the slingshot too though, some other trick that still makes you fight him would be better. I tried
running up to and jumping over him
which I thought I saw in early footage but I couldn't manage it.

HOLY SHIT @ 4th Boss fight

pure distilled awesomeness.

The first time I fought it I was down on one heart with no bottles or fairies, when
it jumped out of the ground and entered full-on rage mode. Pants were shat.
Beat it after 3-4 tries, though.

EDIT: Spin attack and final blows work fine here too. For the spin attack you don't have to move both the nunchuck and wiimote in the same direction, a little nudge inwards with both works and the spin will be in the same direction the wiimote goes.

Seriously? I've found both attacks extremely easy to pull off, so much so that I'll often mix up which directions I move the two controllers just for some variety. Left+Left, Right+Right, Left+Right, it doesn't matter, they all work for me every time.

Some enemies needed better damage indicators. I was fighting that fat
bokoblin with the shield and spear
but he wasn't flashing red when I hit him so I wasn't even sure I was doing any damage at all since he took so many hits to be killed. Is there a trick to him I missed? Weak point for massive damage or whatever? Kind of lame you can stun him with the slingshot too though, some other trick that still makes you fight him would be better. I tried
running up to and jumping over him
which I thought I saw in early footage but I couldn't manage it.

You can do that later
with big bokoblins who carry steel shields, the wooden ones can't be climbed.
. The easiest way to defeat them is
break their shield down to the last quarter and back off, he throws the shield away and attempts to spear you. Let him try to charge you, hop to the side to evade him and then give him a good whacking. Repeat if necessary. With sword upgrades, these guys are a piece of cake later on.

Alexios

Yeah, I'm not that far so I'm not reading the spoilers but I've actually died a couple times already. Now I'm keeping a fairy with me since you can't use potions so easy.

Edit: ah, thanks, that makes sense. It wasn't that he's hard, just that he took so many hits to go down that I thought I missed a trick.

I like Fi and
Scrapper
(the latter I like the most, even though its a jerk to Link).

Scrapper reminds me of the Fish in Wind Waker that calls you small fry... except Scrapper has serious penis envy and wants to screw Fi, therefore he hates you. That's my speculation / reading of him there, not a spoiler. Groose could have a sequel / spin-off where Scrapper is his companion and they're both bitter and jealous of you together. I think they'd get along.

Anth0ny

You can do that later
break their shield down to the last quarter and back off, he throws the shield away and attempts to spear you. Let him try to charge you, hop to the side to evade him and then give him a good whacking. Repeat if necessary. With sword upgrades, these guys are a piece of cake later on.

I just run over them and slash the fuck out of their back. Works every time.

Played this for 7 hours last night (besides a break to eat dinner) loving it so far. Which is a big deal for me because I hate motion controls but so far I find the combat slow enough to avoid fatigue. Loving the world and characters (art direction is awesome), I really hope they continue to build on this for the next games because I have not enjoyed a Zelda this much since Wind Waker.

Jomjom

Banned
How awesome is the CD soundtrack in the LE? I must know because I am picking it up from Best Buy in an hour. Get me hyped!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
You can do that later
I'm pretty sure you can climb over
the wooden shields as well.

Lingitiz

Fatal blow and spin attacks work like a charm to me. *shrug*
Yeah I actually just move the nunchuk and remote outward in opposite directions. Works much better for me. Fatal blow can be a little bit iffy though but it works most of the time with a simple basketball shot type motion.

Anyone saying the first temple is disappointing should really wait to work their way through the second or third. The second is really creative with the use of items, and even though I just reached the third dungeon, the area right before it is just awesome.

Guevara

3-4 hours in, I'm a little disappointed. It feels very much like Twilight Princess (and I say that as someone who really liked TP):

> Same (or very similar) sound effects in some places
> The first temple feels like it could be in TP almost unchanged
> Got to a chest: it's a key, got to a chest: it's the temple map

The motion controls work for me about 80% of the time, which is highly frustrating when I need precision. It's better than I expected to be honest, but not perfect. In fact I'd rather have the advanced skills from TP with a GC controller than any motion functionality at all.

Tadale

How awesome is the CD soundtrack in the LE? I must know because I am picking it up from Best Buy in an hour. Get me hyped!

Soundtrack is in all versions of the game, and it's pretty great. It's really just a teaser for the zelda symphony tour, though.

3-4 hours in, I'm a little disappointed. It feels very much like Twilight Princess (and I say that as someone who really liked TP):

> Same (or very similar) sound effects in some places
> The first temple feels like it could be in TP almost unchanged
> Got to a chest: it's a key, got to a chest: it's the temple map

The motion controls work for me about 80% of the time, which is highly frustrating when I need precision. It's better than I expected to be honest, but not perfect. In fact I'd rather have the advanced skills from TP with a GC controller than any motion functionality at all.

Perhaps its just the pallet change but I don't think this reminds me of TP at all. Yeah the motion controls are not 100% (which is why I don't want this to be the permanent control type for the series) but the combat is slow enough to compensate.

Guevara

Perhaps its just the pallet change but I don't think this reminds me of TP at all. Yeah the motion controls are not 100% (which is why I don't want this to be the permanent control type for the series) but the combat is slow enough to compensate.
The woods feels substantially different and looks great btw. It's just the temple design itself that plays very much like TP so far. I realize I'm only about 5-10% in.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Finished all my midterms and marking papers/exams and whatever else. Have a paper to submit next week, but I can just finish off my final draft on the weekend.

Now for some more Zelda~.

Am I the only one who really likes to leave it on the file select screen just to hear the new file select arrangement? :3

Whoever designed that fucking sand slope on
eldin volcano
is an asshole. It is so frustrating trying to go left and hitting that stupid tiny steam vent.

Lyonaz

I just imported the LE soundtrack cd on my PS3, I didn't even know that the PS3 could just rip the cd onto it's harddrive. Love it.

Evlar

Banned
I haven't had any difficulty pulling off either the spin attack or the finishing blow. The second is just bring both the remote and nunchuk down simultaneously; works every time.

The one portion of the sword play that doesn't work reliably, for me, is the stab. I tend to get downward swings when I try it. It's a little frustrating when trying to take out enemies that require it, like
Beamos in the third dungeon.

Top Bottom