• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Does anyone keep suiciding off of skyloft when trying to grab the stamina berry right outside the upper door of the dorm? I keep running and forgetting to stop and i just run up the fence and plummet.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The citizens of Skyloft are some of the best NPCs I've ever seen in a game. Everyone is just so unique and charismatic.

BVXgS.jpg

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
yep, fifth dungeon is a perfect example of this. you're probably talking about the same thing i mentioned here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32761501&postcount=1731

It's this shit that has had me absolutely frustrated with the Zelda franchise for the last decade. I'm fine with a 'helper' but only if they stay quiet until I choose to push the advice button. Not only is it robbing any purposeful satisfaction from the core design, but it is disruptive from any enjoyment momentum I may be having at that point.

How has the difficulty been? Quarter-heart bullshit back? It's hard to appreciate the game design and combat when failure is nary a concern.

ivysaur12

Banned
Hmm... all these mixed impressions are making me excited to try it out myself.

I wonder why some people are saying the controls work perfectly and others are saying they don't? Is there a fundamental difference in the way people are using them? They're obviously not intuitive, but I wonder why there's just a dramatic difference in success?

jarosh

It's this shit that has had me absolutely frustrated with the Zelda franchise for the last decade. I'm fine with a 'helper' but only if they stay quiet until I choose to push the advice button. Not only is it robbing any purposeful satisfaction from the core design, but it is disruptive from any enjoyment momentum I may be having at that point.

How has the difficulty been? Quarter-heart bullshit back? It's hard to appreciate the game design and combat when failure is nary a concern.
difficulty is much better than in tp. no more quarter-heart bs, no. it might to a certain degree be because of the spotty motion controls, but not exclusively. it is definitely a harder game than tp overall. i died quite a few times when i had only myself to blame. i never once died in tp.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Haha, if you roll into a wall in Groose's room, you can knock his self-portrait off-angle.
Same for the portrait of another character,
Batreaux
, IIRC.
You can destroy all kinds of props with rolling and with [dungeon 3 spoiler]
the Gust Bellows

maybe it was before the 3rd one or just after the 3rd one. i can't remember. granted, that was a good dungeon, but everything up to that was a bit of a disappointment and the bad parts were still keeping a balance with the good parts.

Probably the
4th
, then. The
third dungeon is the Lanayru Mining Facility, and everything before that is quite awesome (because of the timeshift mechanic). The part before the fourth, instead, is a lot weaker (and I didn't like the short backtrack to the first dungeon).

Most enemies do a whopping full heart damage.

Majora

yep, fifth dungeon is a perfect example of this. you're probably talking about the same thing i mentioned here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32761501&postcount=1731

Yeah, we're obviously talking about the same thing. It's annoying because I think it would have been one of the hardest puzzles so far in the game. I generally enjoyed the game up to the fourth dungeon but I've been finding the dungeons rather too easy. Dungeon 4, for example, really just felt like pulling levers along a straight line to me. Dungeon 5 is the first dungeon where I feel like the developers really forced the player to engage with their surroundings. The subsequent puzzles after Fi spoiling it have been very good, but it's almost criminal that they ruined the initial introduction of the mechanic in such a way.

That aside, I've loved almost everything about the game post-dungeon 4. The first time I really felt the 10s could be justified. There was some godawful busywork between 3 and 4 though. My god...you need this...no this...no this...actually go get this instead.

Evlar

Banned

The only thing I've seen that does quarter-heart damage has been minor environmental hazards... Tiny insects and such.

Peff

One small problem I have with the dungeons is that all of them are quite linear. Not so much in the CORRIDORZ sense but rather in that there's only one way to progress through them. There's never more than one or two small keys (which also means they have mostly stopped the "kill all enemies->item appears", so YMMV) and for the most part other than the right path everything else is closed. Ultimately it's not such a big deal, but that little illusion of freedom made some classic dungeons seem more... daunting, if you will, than they really were.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Yeah, we're obviously talking about the same thing. It's annoying because I think it would have been one of the hardest puzzles so far in the game. I enjoyed the game up to the fourth dungeon but I've been finding the dungeons rather too easy. Dungeon 4, for example, really just felt like pulling levers along a straight line to me. Dungeon 5 is the first dungeon where I feel like the developers really forced the player to engage with their surroundings. The subsequent puzzles after Fi spoiling it have been very good, but it's almost criminal that they ruined the initial introduction of the mechanic in such a way.

That aside, I've loved almost everything about the game post-dungeon 4. The first time I really felt the 10s could be justified. There was some godawful busywork between 3 and 4 though. My god...you need this...no this...no this...actually go get this instead.
Hmmm, I can't point out what exactly you're talking about in dungeon 5. To be more precise, I can't think of anything Fi spoiled more significantly than anywhere else (sadly).
The fact
you have to aim through the openings on the roof with your bow to hit the timeshift stones
? What did she say?

fernoca

Huh...odd...holding down the power button on the special edition remote doesn't turn my Wii on.
No problems here, mine turned on..just like any of the other 3 controllers I have (regular white, Tron, blue)

Hmm... all these mixed impressions are making me excited to try it out myself.

I wonder why some people are saying the controls work perfectly and others are saying they don't? Is there a fundamental difference in the way people are using them? They're obviously not intuitive, but I wonder why there's just a dramatic difference in success?
There are multiple factors:
  • Many things in the game require your to "point and click", but the game doesn't use the IR, but motions. So the first thing in the minds of many is that, for those moments to point at the screen (raise their arm a little) and move the wiimote; when in reality there's no need to "point" just move you wrist/remote.
  • Sword-play requires slower/more direct motions to slash properly. In specific directions too (up, down, left, right, diagonals, reverse); but the moment you start doing faster motions (or just waggle) tit can be really random.
  • To use the beetle and your bird, all you need is to move your wrist, but the first reaction of many is to point at the screen and move it to the sides.
  • For the "balancing stuff", all you have to do is move Link with the analog stick, move the remote (pointing up) left or right slowly to maintain balance; but the first reaction of many is to do it like Mario Galaxy and grab it and move it in circles and fast (like to gain speed).

As with nearly all Zelda games; there's a big/hidden YMMW (your mileage may vary) subtitle in it. Some may have not problem with the "quirks" in this game like: the motions, character development, exploration, combat...but others will.

AmirOx and jarosh are more respected around here, so of course their opinions (which in general still liked the game) will affect more (and disappoint many); than a..fernoca or someone else. :p

Peff

Hmmm, I can't point out what exactly you're talking about in dungeon 5. To be more precise, I can't think of anything Fi spoiled more significantly than anywhere else (sadly).
The fact
you have to aim through the openings on the roof with your bow to hit the timeshift stones
? What did she say?

Exactly that :p The game stops and she tells about it while the game pans showing you the solution.

jarosh

One small problem I have with the dungeons is that all of them are quite linear. Not so much in the CORRIDORZ sense but rather in that there's only one way to progress through them. There's never more than one or two small keys (which also means they have mostly stopped the "kill all enemies->item appears", so YMMV) and for the most part other than the right path everything else is closed. Ultimately it's not such a big deal, but that little illusion of freedom made some classic dungeons seem more... daunting, if you will, than they really were.
i think that works well for the dungeons. i liked that. they can keep the confusion to a minimum that way and focus on really clever and more elaborate individual puzzles. i think this is better design than having dozens of locked doors and keys in increasingly remote or arbitrary locations. of course, this streamlining WOULD be perfect in theory, if it wasn't for the frequent hints that give away (parts of) the solutions, thereby nearly pushing it into too-linear and simplistic territory again :/

Don't know how other people are playing, but I've noticed that the sword mechanics work extremely well when using full-motion sword swings, as if you were really swinging a sword. Using subtle flicks and wiimote waggles seems to give an inaccurate response and just doesn't feel right. That said, I'm not a fan of motion gaming, but I'm really enjoying the combat more and more as I progress.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Exactly that :p The game stops and she tells about it while the game pans showing you the solution.
Oh, I see. Thanks.
I guess at that point I was already desensitized about her (or the gravestones) outright telling you what to do.

AmirOx and jarosh are more respected around here, so of course their opinions (which in general still liked the game) will affect more (and disappoint many); than a..fernoca or someone else. :p
I respect you.

jarosh

and it doesn't just SHOW you the object. no, fi appears and tells you not only to USE that thing in a specific way but also "hints" at the only possible item you could use it WITH. sigh :(

Just got out of the first dungeon, and am definitely liking it more than the others so far since Ocarina or ALTTP. The environments have been amazing; that place
right after you fight Ghirahim, the Skyward Spring or whatever
was just incredibly beautiful. Fighting Ghirahim was a shitload of fun too. The first dungeon wasn't anything special, but it was... pretty. I enjoyed it enough, especially as a first dungeon.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Most enemies do a whopping full heart damage.

Very nice to hear.

Fi still sounds disastrous though. I mean goddamn at what some of you are saying about her. Nintendo truly does seem to be cannibalizing their own creation.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
By Gravestones do you mean the Sheikah stones?
No, just plain stones with inscriptions lying around. You would expect such inscriptions to be riddles with hints to the solution, but no. More often than not they are straight-up telling you what you need to do.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Fi still sounds disastrous though. I mean goddamn at what some of you are saying about her. Nintendo truly does seem to be cannibalizing their own creation.
The infuriating part is that the game is otherwise pretty great, so it sticks out even more.

hiro4

Got my special edition from amazon today and played a bit this evening.

Played around two hours and finished the tutorial quest and ran around the town. But I really really like this game so far. All my doubts about the game after the demo are blown away. Sword combat feels so much better and controlling the bird also.

I did had to adjust to the fact that you dont point the cursor. But once adjusted it felt good.

Minor issue though is the speed of the text and while you can speed it up it still is too slow IMO. Also love the bazaar. Can't wait to play some more tomorrow.

Caelus

It can get annoying, but if you want to enjoy the game more I recommend mashing A until she stops talking. Nintendo assumes we're stupid, yet the tutorial for the brand new controls is optional. Ha.

maybe it was before the 3rd one or just after the 3rd one. i can't remember. granted, that was a good dungeon, but everything up to that was a bit of a disappointment and the bad parts were still keeping a balance with the good parts.

For me, the game took off @ the 3rd dungeon. Everything suddenly clicked in that dungeon, and started to feel like Zelda again. Then, everything just went uphill. Just didn't jive too much with me before that.

Gino

My only real disappointment with this game is that it doesn't seem to have fishing. it wasn't in Wind Waker either, but I really love to just chill out and fish for a while in TP and OoT.

I've already said it but other than that I have had no problems. Dialog doesn't bother me, intro got me attached to all the NPCs, Motion controls work great, not worried about the game giving to much information because you pretty much have to ask for it to get it.

The level of scrutiny that Zelda games get around here is truly amazing.

Peff

i think that works well for the dungeons. i liked that. they can keep the confusion to a minimum that way and focus on really clever and more elaborate individual puzzles. i think this is better design than having dozens of locked doors and keys in increasingly remote or arbitrary locations. of course, this streamlining WOULD be perfect in theory, if it wasn't for the frequent hints that give away (parts of) the solutions, thereby nearly pushing it into too-linear and simplistic territory again :/

Absolutely, if there's one thing that SS proves is that the "room-by-room" approach can work really well, especially when a team this creative is behind it, but I believe that making, say, OoT's Forest Temple the ceiling of layout complexity could be a good thing. But as you say, if the next Zelda follows Skyward's formula while allowing you to play entirely on your own, that's great too!

No, there's these little stone slabs that have a hint written on them.

No, just plain stones with inscriptions lying around. You would expect such inscriptions to be riddles with hints to the solution, but no. More often than not they are straight-up telling you what you need to do.

Ah, I think there was one of them in the 1st dungeon
talking about the switches, I think
, I will have to avoid them.

What do you mean less vague? I mean, when I swipe a sword, I'm trying my best to bite my tongue and do the lame, exaggerated motions to try to get the game to properly recognize what I'm doing. I'm saying I have a 60% success rate, but if I go too fast the game fails to recognize, and if I go too slow the game starts acting up, and then occasionally it'll just act up or interpret a movement as a separate action altogether. It's infuriating, and actually once it led to my death. I never die in Zelda games.

It led to your death only once? You shouldn't complain then. 100% of my deaths have been because of inaccurate interpretations of my motion intentions. Especially the bomb rolling. FUUUUUCCCK.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
but I finally snagged all 5 pieces of the key, now I am apparently in not the Fire Temple but they call it the Earth Temple.

They are rewriting all the rules. First three dungeons don't even follow the green, red, blue pattern anymore! It's a brave new world.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Through the second dungeon
Almost the exact inverse of the first. Fantastic visual design, mediocre boss fight. I mean, are we ever going to come up with a boss for the "fire dungeon" that doesn't involve "feed him bombs"?

Just got out of the first dungeon, and am definitely liking it more than the others so far since Ocarina or ALTTP. The environments have been amazing; that place
right after you fight Ghirahim, the Skyward Spring or whatever
was just incredibly beautiful. Fighting Ghirahim was a shitload of fun too. The first dungeon wasn't anything special, but it was... pretty. I enjoyed it enough, especially as a first dungeon.

Rest assured the 2nd dungeon is 2X better than the 1st, and the 3rd is 10X better than both of them combined.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
And when it comes to dungeons and maps, the main thing (which surprised me..well, so far. Don't know if later that changes): there's no
compass
!! :p

znwkR.gif

I've only beaten the first and am right in front of the second, but it doesn't seem necessary considering the map fills in everything once you get it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Through the second dungeon
Almost the exact inverse of the first. Fantastic visual design, mediocre boss fight. I mean, are we ever going to come up with a boss for the "fire dungeon" that doesn't involve "feed him bombs"?
I love
feeding the enemies bombs. Every enemy should be fed bombs.

And when it comes to dungeons and maps, the main thing (which surprised me..well, so far. Don't know if later that changes): there's no
compass
!! :p
I won't say a word about it changing or not... but I liked this.

Majora

Very nice to hear.

She's my least favourite sidekick in any of the 3D games. Not only does she give a lot of puzzles away, but her dialogue has no wit or character. I get that she's meant to be mechanical but it makes for a very dull companion, and all this quoting of percentages got tiresome fast for me.

But even worse, she constantly repeats stuff you've just been told. It's like:

NPC - You need to go get item x. It's over there, by landmark y.

Camera pans to landmark. Then immediately after Fi pops up

Fi - It looks like you need to get item x. I detect that there is a 95% chance that it is located by landmark y and there will be some monsters blah blah blah.

I only need telling once Nintendo!

It's also annoying when she pops up to tell you you're low on health. I know I'm low on health. Not only because I have eyes, but because I'm listening to the same obnoxious beeping you hear in every modern Zelda. I don't need Fi to pop-up and tell me to find some health. It's so incredibly patronising. They should just flat-out ask you at the beginning of the game if you've ever played a Zelda game before so people have the opportunity to avoid these constant intrusions.

Top Bottom