• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Reflecting back on the whole game I'm left wondering why the game needed to have some of the questionable filler sections, the length would have been fine without them.

I'm also thinking that my indifference to the desert area, dungeon 3 and dislike of dungeon 5 is due to the fact
that I don't really enjoy the time stone mechanic which is used all over the place, also there's the fact that dungeon 5 is also the great backtrack quest on top of that due to a time stone.

the dungeons get really really good and so do the bosses. and the fetch quests and the spoiling of puzzles actually get worse before they get a tad better towards the end. it'll make you even MORE conflicted about the whole thing. i was ready to call it a pretty mediocre game before the 4th dungeon...

hell, i'm STILL conflicted about it now. somehow skyward sword manages to incorporate all of (modern) nintendo's best and worst qualities and design philosophies into one game. it's quite remarkable actually.
I'd personally have to disagree. I'm right before the 3rd dungeon and I'd still rate it a pretty good game. Fi came up a few too many times in the first dungeon but since then she hasn't been a problem. Other than occasionally repeating crap that had just been told to me, I've barely had a problem with her. I've definetly not experienced her ruining a puzzle.

Also right before the 3rd dungeon so there may be things later that will bother me but what is with people crying about Fetchquests. What's the difference between having to collect random soup ingredients, Poe Souls, Monkeys, a stone statue, etc, in a dungeon compared to right before one? I've seen a number of people complaining about having to collect the keys, dials or Kikwi's, etc. but I don't recall anyone complaining when you had to do the same stuff in a dungeon. It's the exact same kind of stuff. Doesn't make it a collectathon or fetchquest.

Salmonax

Just got started last night. I'm assuming it's because this is my first MotionPlus game that I had to watch that horrible, unskippable "how to attach the MotionPlus, wrist strap, condom, etc." video, even though it didn't apply since I got the bundle with MotionPlus inside the controller? Talk about a buzzkill when I was all psyched to get started with the game.

And is it me, or is the introductory area in SS actually slower and longer than the much-maligned one in Twilight Princess? It seems at least to be comparable.

Sober

Through the second dungeon
Almost the exact inverse of the first. Fantastic visual design, mediocre boss fight. I mean, are we ever going to come up with a boss for the "fire dungeon" that doesn't involve "feed him bombs"?
They need to give you the bomb bag sooner rather than later. The boss was enjoyable but pretty obvious what you needed to do.

Also I noticed that dungeon didn't have any locked doors.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
They need to give you the bomb bag sooner rather than later. The boss was enjoyable but pretty obvious what you needed to do.

Also I noticed that dungeon didn't have any locked doors.

Sure, but I mean, there should be ways to use bombs in a boss fight besides "throw them in his mouth"

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Just got started last night. I'm assuming it's because this is my first MotionPlus game that I had to watch that horrible, unskippable "how to attach the MotionPlus, wrist strap, condom, etc." video, even though it didn't apply since I got the bundle with MotionPlus inside the controller? Talk about a buzzkill when I was all psyched to get started with the game.

And is it me, or is the introductory area in SS actually slower and longer than the much-maligned one in Twilight Princess? It seems at least to be comparable.

It's not even close. A lot of the stuff in the tutorial in SS you can just skip.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Sounds good. I'm hearing a lot of good things about the dungeons getting better, I'm just hoping that later on they don't start to "lose it" a bit.
I liked every dungeon more than the previous one, with possibly the exception of one of them (not telling which one, but it was still very good).

Hypatia

Hmm... all these mixed impressions are making me excited to try it out myself.

I wonder why some people are saying the controls work perfectly and others are saying they don't? Is there a fundamental difference in the way people are using them? They're obviously not intuitive, but I wonder why there's just a dramatic difference in success?

When the controls work perfectly they really, really work and are utterly fantastic. When they dont you might as well start waggling.

The reason for this is the motion+. It accumulates a lot of error filled data very, very quickly so it needs to continually be reorientated by using a reference point i.e the sensor bar.

The problem with this though is it doesn't use the sensor bar for aiming so the average person has no reason to specifically point it foward at the screen. This isn't too bad for the items you actually aim with (e.g the beetle) because you're largely going to be pointing at the screen as if you were using the sensor bar anyway. So the motion+ will pretty much always feel 1 on 1 for this stuff.

With the sword however theres no reason at all to point it at the screen unless you're doing forward thrusts which are 1) not entirely comfortable to do and 2) rarely, if ever, needed for combat.

Which means during combat it is able to reorientate itself far, far less and so it accumulates false data for a longer period of time. Which means you're no longer going to have 1 on 1 and that translates to really annoying combat.

So basically whenever I can I'm now pointing the sword forward in combat until it resets and I see link pointing forward too.

Which means the entire thing is less intuitive now but it makes the combat a lot more fun and responsive.

And for reference while I largely agree with most of Ami's criticisms I'm still loving the hell out of this game. You just have to put up with the fact that Nintendo thinks you're a moron.

cajunator

Banned
So basically, if all the things you guys mentioned that bothered you haven't bothered me (I'm at the door to the first dungeon.I think) this game only gets better from here?
I haven't had any issues with motion controls. I swung in a wrong direction ad got knocked down by a plant, but I see the execution of the motion as part of the challenge of this game. It isn't perfect, and working around it is kind of part of what I like. Maybe I am just strange.
THe first area on the surface was charming as hell and I found myself immersed in it for several hours just wandering around trying to find a way forward but not really minding if I didn't. It was just a beautiful place to run around. I had to sleep after work and just woke up, so I cant play the game today before work, but after tonight I will be off my 7 days and Its non-stop Zelda time.

Cosmozone

Yeah, the real problem is Motion+. Shame that this enhanced motion detection still doesn't work really well. It once or twice even happened to me that the motions were detected in the reverse way. I moved the control to the left and the sword moved to the right. Sigh.

verbatimo

Just finished dungeon 4. WHOA what a boss battle.

Maybe I belong to the minority, but I liked the filler stuff between dungeon 3 and dungeon 4,
like going back to Skyview Temple with more challenge, also battle with 3 stalfos was awesome fight

Fi also hasn't been much of annoyance. Predungeon 2 and 3 Fi didn't say a lot and kept her mouth shut, and I could do the puzzles and make my way to the dungeon without him constantly blabbering.

It just sounds to me, that whole Fi thing is exaggerated.

jonno394

I had 4 days off work and I could only get 30 hours into Zelda and that's taken me up to the end of the 5th dungeon and i've got 51
gratitude crystals
, might have to wait until the weekend now before my next session of it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
"Here's all the stuff you can upgrade" *sees a ton of stuff to upgrade*

Oh no... I'm going to concentrate on that and getting item drops more than anything else. :lol

Anyone know where I can get a ton of tumbleweeds? (just finished second dungeon)

AniHawk

i thought you were super hyped about this!

The demo left a really positive impression!

The actual game is something... maybe as good as Spirit Tracks so far. At best :(

no but i'm aware of your tastes and what nintendo would do with this game considering their statements regarding the development of the ds games in conjunction with this one.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32607164&postcount=9738
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30029687&postcount=1759

only beat the first dungeon, but i wouldn't say it's worse than spirit tracks. maybe that's because the experience has been more even, and not crazy up and down like that one for me.

Thoraxes

I almost wonder what the difference is between Pro and Lite mode, besides the obvious screen real-estate aesthetics. I'm currently playing in Pro mode myself, and some people are bringing up pestering things that i'm not noticing... I think.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
So basically, if all the things you guys mentioned that bothered you haven't bothered me (I'm at the door to the first dungeon.I think) this game only gets better from here?
I haven't had any issues with motion controls. I swung in a wrong direction ad got knocked down by a plant, but I see the execution of the motion as part of the challenge of this game. It isn't perfect, and working around it is kind of part of what I like. Maybe I am just strange.
THe first area on the surface was charming as hell and I found myself immersed in it for several hours just wandering around trying to find a way forward but not really minding if I didn't. It was just a beautiful place to run around. I had to sleep after work and just woke up, so I cant play the game today before work, but after tonight I will be off my 7 days and Its non-stop Zelda time.
You will probably love the shit out of this game. I know I did.

Fi also hasn't been much of annoyance. Predungeon 2 and 3 Fi didn't say a lot and kept his mouth shut, and I could do the puzzles and make my way to the dungeon without him constantly blabbering.

It just sounds to me, that whole Fi thing is exaggerated.
It's exaggerated, but mostly because it sticks out a lot and seems like something they could have avoided very easily.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
"Here's all the stuff you can upgrade" *sees a ton of stuff to upgrade*

Oh no... I'm going to concentrate on that and getting item drops more than anything else. :lol

Anyone know where I can get a ton of tumbleweeds? (just finished second dungeon)

"Desert Entrance" drop point. Go down hill, take out the wheel things. Just run around the area. They'll always approach from behind you so find spots that work, they'll come up behind you, catch with net.

fernoca

She doesn't pop up when you're low on health unless you press the d-pad.
That too.
I've seen people saying that they don't like how "she constantly reminds you, that you're low in health"; yet all that happens is that the the game indicates that she has something to say (with a small noise; like 3 times and her icon in the usual place)...and that's it.

But some act as if the moment you're low in health she comes out, stops the game and gives this non-skipable rant about how much you suck. I do press the button to read/hear her, but I just like Fi. :p

Guevara

I almost wonder what the difference is between Pro and Lite mode, besides the obvious screen real-estate aesthetics. I'm currently playing in Pro mode myself, and some people are bringing up pestering things that i'm not noticing... I think.
That's how it should work, but I have evidence that it does.

Here's an example: every time Fi reminds you to dowse/tells you your dowsing options have changed/removes a dowsing option, does it start a beeping noise until you open your dowsing menu? It's to the point where I just open the dowsing menu and immediately close it to shut up Fi for a while.

Forkball

Wait, are you fucking me on the collector's edition bundle being all gone? I went to Gamestop and they said they have them but only for preorders, and it's sold out at the local Best Buy, their website, and it's going for $110 on Amazon. DID I DONE GOOF BY NOT PREORDERING IT?

She's my least favourite sidekick in any of the 3D games. Not only does she give a lot of puzzles away, but her dialogue has no wit or character. I get that she's meant to be mechanical but it makes for a very dull companion, and all this quoting of percentages got tiresome fast for me.
That's exactly why I love her so much. She's just so dry and blunt, which is my favorite type of humor. I find myself constantly chuckling or laughing at things she says.

Ha they give you a potion that
fully heals you and repairs your shield
as soon as you're on the ground oh game I'm not gonna- *first bokoblin fight* ohgod

Been going out of my way to explore and upgrade stuff as much as possible so only now am I in the first dungeon. So far my only real "control issue" is that my mind still remembers Twilight Princess as A = Put Away, B = Use, while in SS it's reversed and screwing with my head.

Evlar

Banned
In the English edition at least there's dialog that establishes that Fi is female, or at least that other characters consider her female.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You'll see them rolling about in the third area, you must use an item in your inventory to obtain them
"Desert Entrance" drop point. Go down hill, take out the wheel things. Just run around the area. They'll always approach from behind you so find spots that work, they'll come up behind you, catch with net.
Thanks a lot, guys. :)

Speaking of that particular item, I decided to make Link sleep in the place where you get it and
I did not expect Beedle's true accent. Beedle's awesome.

I don't think Nintendo thinks people are morons, they just try to make their games appeal to as wide an audience and age range as possible.

What I don't understand is that even in this very game - they've hit on the solution. Make that stuff optional!
In the Hero Mode / New Game+ mode, you can skip a lot of tutorial talk and bullshit simply by essentially telling them that you don't want to do it.
Why not do that for every game right from the beginning? They'd still have to tell you of any major changes - of which this game has a few- but it'd be much better.

I don't think its a big deal with regards to this game - because I still immensely enjoyed it. Hours and hours of my time disappeared in an instant and I was never bored or unhappy -- which is a rare occurance with me and videogames these days. Despite any handholding, this Zelda is probably the toughest 3D Zelda I've played too. That said, in terms of wider Zelda trends, I do think handholding is a legitimate bugbear.

We don't need Zelda companions. We just don't. This holdover from Ocarina of Time is around about as damaging as the instruments angle that subsequent games have pedalled - because we don't need those either.

Of previous companions, The King of Red Lions, Midna, Ceila / Linebeck, and Zelda herself in Spirit Tracks have been the most tolerable. Midna was pretty annoying for springing up from under you when she didn't have to, but at least her character was solid -- by the end you grew to care a little for her. I can't say I cared too much about Fi but (endgame spoiler)
that 'my time with you has been amongst the finest I have on record' did get me a little

The worst thing about Fi actually is the battery-low messages or the hearts-low messages. I know when I'm low on life because the game also bleeps, and I'll know when I'll need to change the batteries because I'll get a "connection with the remote has been lost" message. Its the equivalent of your cell phone flashing and making sound when its low on battery -- its like "conserve yourself and shut up! FFS!"... I did go through 4AA batteries JUST playing this game btw :lol

The truth is, we just don't need them though. When A Link to the Past or Link's Awakening wanted to tell you something or give you a hint about where to go next, they had an NPC do it, or had an event lead you there... an owl flapped in out of nowhere etc. Link can still have meaningful character relationships in Zelda games without being tethered to a companion... if there is one Ocarina-era staple I would like them to abandon, its this one, followed closely by the musical instruments (unless they can come up with an amazing reason for them).

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wait, are you fucking me on the collector's edition bundle being all gone? I went to Gamestop and they said they have them but only for preorders, and it's sold out at the local Best Buy, their website, and it's going for $110 on Amazon. DID I DONE GOOF BY NOT PREORDERING IT?

Same happened to me today. Went in to Best Buy thinking I could just snag the CE bundle as I want a M+ controller(never got Wii Sports Resort), and found it absurd that the bundles were all gone. Now I have to consider spending over $90 for this Zelda(M+ controller is $40!). The Fi comments are really making me consider never bothering, especially at that cost.

Retail GAF: Will be curious how many casual moms buy this game only to return it when the their kid's Xmas gift won't work because the family Wii is lacking Motion Plus.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Thanks to the wonderful return of the search feature.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=363876

Zelda_Legend_2010.jpg

Thread when first piece of artwork was shown.

Same happened to me today. Went in to Best Buy thinking I could just snag the CE bundle as I want a M+ controller(never got Wii Sports Resort), and found it absurd that the bundles were all gone. Now I have to consider spending over $90 for this Zelda(M+ controller is $40!). The Fi comments are really making me consider never bothering, especially at that cost.

Retail GAF: Will be curious how many casual moms buy this game only to return it when the their kid's Xmas gift won't work because the family Wii is lacking Motion Plus.

Can't you just get the $20 add-on?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου

Those sneaky bastards.

That too.
I've seen people saying that they don't like how "she constantly reminds you, that you're low in health"; yet all that happens is that the the game indicates that she has something to say (with a small noise; like 3 times and her icon in the usual place)...and that's it.

But some act as if the moment you're low in health she comes out, stops the game and gives this non-skipable rant about how much you suck. I do press the button to read/hear her, but I just like Fi. :p

Absolutely.

Hypatia

So far my only real "control issue" is that my mind still remembers Twilight Princess as A = Put Away, B = Use, while in SS it's reversed and screwing with my head.

That's so annoying, I'm like 20 hours in and I still mess that up sometimes.

Yeah, Fi currently ranks 3rd on the sidekick scale for me. Better then Navi but she's no Midna or King of Red Lions

Coming off of Midna, Fi is a huge dissapointment. Honestly I think she's worse than Navi; at least Navi was your targetting cursor.

And maybe this is my faulty memory but I dont remember Navi talking this much or constantly reminding me about things I'd just seen in a cutscene.

Top Bottom