• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Sinthetic

Doing another side quest. Trying to
find this dude's sister. He says she's on a colorful island or something. I went to the one where that guy is setting up FUN FUN ISLAND, but no sign of her. Any ideas?

The quests in this game can be confusing. I mean how was I supposed to know to
hit the grave. There's no indicator. :|

If you speak to a few people around the island, they will actually say something about what you put in the spoiler tags.

Seems loads of people on here aren't reading anything that pops up... Oh look, text *Mash A*.

Reknoc

find this dude's sister. He says she's on a colorful island or something. I went to the one where that guy is setting up FUN FUN ISLAND, but no sign of her. Any ideas?

Check an island near by, you should be able to see her.

The old man at the Lumpy Pumpkin tells you to do this.

RagnarokX

Her brother told you she'd be somewhere between Skyloft and the colorful island, not on the colorful island.

People in Skyloft will tell you there's an old man at the Lumpy Pumpkin who believes there is a demon. He tells you he saw a demon hit the grave nearest the tree at night and then push the grave to make the shed door open.

E-phonk

Banned
Just on the last page I wrote about a review of the game in today's morning program on TV. The reviewer said that there was too much dialogue and that you had to press too many times for the text bubbles to go away...

Yes the reviewer was over 5 years old... (but apparently not his attention span)
It's not that there is too much dialogue, but a lot of it is redundant. I understand the problem some might have with both the way text is presented and the amount of (useless) text.

On the positive side, I like the speech bubbles on characters that have something "important" to say. At least you don't have to read the same responses you've read before while searching the right NPC to help you along.

gamingeek

Stuck on the 5th dungeon. How do I get the second generator to work?

More importantly, how do I get in the room where the second generator is?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
On the positive side, I like the speech bubbles on characters that have something "important" to say. At least you don't have to read the same responses you've read before while searching the right NPC to help you along.
Yep.
Whenever someone has a speech bubble, talk to him.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Stuck on the 5th dungeon. How do I get the second generator to work?

More importantly, how do I get in the room where the second generator is?
[Dungeon 5 spoiler]

There is a lifeboat on the deck of the ship, you can lower it with your bow.

DeMeester

I've been playing this on my Wii up until now, but after seeing all those screen-shots of SS on Dolphin I'm reconsidering playing it on my pc. It looks so gorgeous.

cajunator

Banned
Yup, specifically to
the Temple of Mystic Stuff with the advice lady

Well I mean I already talked to the
mystic lady, raised the gateway. released the Imprisoned and then fucked him up again
, and now I'm sort of back at Skyloft doing sidequests and wondering where to go next. I already activated
one of the windmills
but one of them is missing
the pinwheel device
. Am I gonna find that part soon?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Well I mean I already talked to the
mystic lady, raised the gateway. released the Imprisoned and then fucked him up again
, and now I'm sort of back at Skyloft doing sidequests and wondering where to go next. I already activated
one of the windmills
but one of them is missing
the pinwheel device
. Am I gonna find that part soon?

Have you actually examined the missing pinwheel?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I did that to get into the 1st room. Is there another on the opposite side?
Hmmm, not sure I remember. Have you tried shooting at
the bow target through the air vent with the spinning fan in the corridor? If the timeshift stone is deactivated, the fan is still and you can shoot more easily. Unless we're still talking about the same side. I remember one of the doors only opened if the timeshift stone was active (it was covered by wire fence otherwise).

gamingeek

Hmmm, not sure I remember. Have you tried shooting at
the bow target through the air vent with the spinning fan in the corridor? If the timeshift stone is deactivated, the fan is still and you can shoot more easily. Unless we're still talking about the same side. I remember one of the doors only opened if the timeshift stone was active (it was covered by wire fence otherwise).

I
shot through a large ceiling fan vent. There was a small wall vent I ignored, is that what you mean?

DeMeester

Does anyone know how many temples/dungeons are in this Zelda? I'm going to search for the
third flame
now so I hope there are still some dungeons left after that :).

I could've sworn the game explains you how to fly, did these people just skip all dialogue ?
I found the dialogue didn't make it patronisingly clear how to gain altitude (it explains while mentioning the boost). The 2 button was clear though.

I haven't died once 10 hours into the game. I'm not even that good at Zelda games, maybe it's cause I have the force now.
I'm the opposite. Died twice in 5 hours after years of never dying. Like I said, I'm not used to combat. Thankfully the death penalty so far seems like Xenoblade (pleased at last visisted landmark just replace landmark with statue, I can't remeber if I saved at the statue though and didn't pay attention to rupees).

Sinthetic

I found the dialogue didn't make it patronisingly clear how to gain altitude (it explains while mentioning the boost). The 2 button was clear though.

I'm the opposite. Died twice in 5 hours after years of never dying. Like I said, I'm not used to combat. Thankfully the death penalty so far seems like Xenoblade (pleased at last visisted landmark just replace landmark with statue, I can't remeber if I saved at the statue though and didn't pay attention to rupees).

I understand mate, I am getting better at combat slowly but surely. It definitely helps that I'm taking it slow and steady.

Red

I was expecting to stand the sky. From impressions and reviews, I didn't think I'd hate it, only that it was something I'd have to begrudgingly deal with.

I never expected it to be my favorite overworld of any 3d Zelda.

Did anybody see this?

S6lsZ.jpg

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Fourth dungeon boss was something else. Felt so satisfying to rip that thing a new one.

I thought it
would be a short and easy fight, but then! More arms! Agh, legs! Huge swords! It was still an easy second phase, but to swipe the legs off with the huge sword... Amazing fight.

It's remarkable how this game has jumped from a complete disappointment in the beginning, to one of my favorite Zeldas now.

The boss fights in this game were amazing. The only one i really didn't care for was...

Post 6th dungeon Spoiler...

Imprisoned v2. V1 was fun, as was v3, but v2 was just an unreasonable pain in the ass.

Mantorok

I only have one question, is it better than TP and/or WW? If it is/is not, then why?

I enjoyed TP but I felt it lacked it's own identity a little, I enjoyed WW but felt there weren't enough dungeons.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I only have one question, is it better than TP and/or WW? If it is/is not, then why?

I enjoyed TP but I felt it lacked it's own identity a little, I enjoyed WW but felt there weren't enough dungeons.

For me it's better than TP and not as good as Wind Waker. I base this mainly on the narratives, because the gameplay of the games are all solid. Wind Waker had an amazing narrative and a stunning finale. Skyward Sword has an amazing narrative, but I don't think the ending was quite up there with Wind Waker (not that that's a knock for SS, Wind Wakers ending was just one of those top-tier affairs).

I haven't hit the first dungeon yet. Perhaps I should refrain judgment, but even up until the point I'm at, it is without a doubt in my mind better than TP and Wind Waker. Those games were tedious compared to this one, and the charm in the game raises it head and shoulders above them.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I haven't used any potions either, and I don't plan on really, but I still have a need to catch every bug I see haha. I can't catch those little roller-bugs in Eldin Volcano, though. :(

Also, how do you get to Beedle's Island at night to meet him?

ASIS

Each game has its own identity. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. If you are looking for the "ultimate" Zelda that will render all previous entries irrelevant then you are going to be disappointed.

I do want to say though, that this might just be my favorite game of all time. I won't know until the dust settles, but it's not an experience to be forgotten.

Red

I haven't finished it yet. Still actually pretty early, so my opinion might change. But after beating the second dungeon, I think I've played enough to say that moment-to-moment, it's infinitely more fun and engaging to play than either of those games. It has my favorite intro of a 3d Zelda this side of Majora's Mask, and though the first dungeon isn't as substantial as the forest temple of Twilight Princess, it introduces many more new mechanics than TP did, in a much smaller space.

I would like to type more, but I'm on my phone at work. Basically though, my answer is: love it so far, has a brilliant world and level structure, and is more fun to play than any other 3d Zelda to date.

Man.

I should really stop jumping the gun on quests.

Between dungeon 3 and 4:

Guy: Yeah, the pinwheel fell below the clouds and--
Me: BELOW THE CLOUDS GOT IT
Guy: They say there was a flying robot that could--
Me: *already diving in to Faron Woods*

I spent an hour looking around before I went to the bazaar to upgrade my net and saw the speech bubble above the mechanic's head. D:

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
man I can never decide if this game is great or shit. Its like they took the duality of worlds from previous Zelda games and applied it to quality.

Take for instance the route to dungeon 5 I believe
The Sandsea

The boat stuff is cool, like a paired down version of that DS game's boat applied to some small areas. Its a novel trick with the time stuff, and you're following a breadcrumb trail of clues to find the real Dungeon. Then it sends me to one room, which has the re-use of a boss in it and its like.... PAAAADDDDDIINNNNGGGGG. nothing else in there, amplified by Fi having to say "yeh, nothing in here of any interest now. lol."

I think Fi has gone beyond Issun in the 'annoying partner' stakes. The redundant unskippable shit she says, the complete lack of any character beaming forth from here over that stupid robot speak.

Also really not liking the artstyle with regards to enemy design. Dungeon 5's boss particularly
was like a Muppet Babies version of a Kraken, not even vaguely menacing
, same for all the baby faced completely unmenacing generic goblins pottering about.

Thematically Twilight Princess had this shit beat in every area except gameplay. Were it not for the crap shoehorned in wolf bits as well, even this games waggle combat hasn't entirely convinced me of it's worth at all. Enemies making various right angles with their swords in defense isn't exactly the pinnacle of what I expected from motion control swordplay.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The ramp-up in difficulty coupled with the way the first three dungeons introduce you to all the new ideas in this game is absolutely outstanding. Like, top-tier, number one in their class type stuff.

The Fi complaints, as of finishing dungeon three, seem unfounded. She basically never talks to me in dungeons or when I'm in the middle of something. I never press the down button and so I'm never annoyed. The puzzle to open the gate to the third dungeon being ruined by her was all kinds of silly, though. Luckily I figured it out before trying once.

Top Bottom