• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Really enjoying the game now that I've got the controls down.

The characters and story are very interesting so far and I feel that's probably one of the best aspects of the game.

I just finished the first dungeon, it was short and sweet and I felt like I was having an experience that was uniquely 'Zelda'.

My main complaints? The visuals do not look amazing on an HD TV, and so I feel like I'm not really seeing it the way it was meant to be seen. In terms of pure style and aesthetics... this is probably the best looking Zelda game.

My biggest complaint is that up until I got to the dungeon the music did not feel very much like a Zelda game. Not that it wasn't good... it was just very Animal Crossing-esque. I hope this changes as I go through the game.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
..Shouldn't some of these explanations of how stuff are solved or what abilities you get be in spoiler tags... Sure, they're easy to figure out but it's still nicer to do it yourself all like "oh that's what I have to do" instead of "oh that's what people were talking about", or get the surprise of the new ability...

Good point, I edited my post though it's probably too late... I'll try to spoiler tag more diligently in the future though.

watershed

Banned
Just beat the 4th(?) dungeon, the dungeons and the challenges continue to impress. I died for the first time fighting the midboss, that fight was surprising. Great boss at the end of the 4th dungeon very satisfying fight.

Only new issue to crop up about the music
the harp songs kinda suck, not very memorable at all
. None of the theme music for each area or dungeon has stuck with me. There's been nothing that's hum-worthy like past zelda games. The boss battle songs are truly epic though especially for the 4th dungeon. The area themes just seem appropriate, like good background stuff more for atmosphere than past songs like Lon Lon ranch or Windfall Island or Dragon Roost or the zora domain variations. The music for specific events is awesome and the skyloft theme is pleasant, but the rest of the area music is just okay. I'm kinda bummed about that.

Branduil

Just beat the 4th(?) dungeon, the dungeons and the challenges continue to impress. I died for the first time fighting the midboss, that fight was surprising. Great boss at the end of the 4th dungeon very satisfying fight.

Only new issue to crop up about the music
the harp songs kinda suck, not very memorable at all
. None of the theme music for each area or dungeon has stuck with me. There's been nothing that's hum-worthy like past zelda games. The boss battle songs are truly epic though especially for the 4th dungeon. The area themes just seem appropriate, like good background stuff more for atmosphere than past songs like Lon Lon ranch or Windfall Island or Dragon Roost or the zora domain variations. The music for specific events is awesome and the skyloft theme is pleasant, but the rest of the area music is just okay. I'm kinda bummed about that.
I'm only at the third dungeon but
the Mining Facility music is great.

I just wanted to let you all know that I just found out that due to a protest that will be taking place tomorrow, the building I work in will be on lockdown and all non-employees will be barred from entering the building.

That includes the courier that should be bringing me my copy of Skyward Sword ;_;

Pachinko

Well, another 5 hours down the drain. 3rd dungeon complete.

I actually found this section incredibly inventive with the crystal switches and such. The dungeon had some good moments as well. Boss was interesting because it used the item inventively and forced you to utilize your experience with thrusts from killing the eye guards.

Niggling complaints with motion recognition still persist though, in the heat of the moment I do still find it frustratingly hard to get link to swing the sword like I want him to, there's also the slight issue of his swinging the sword when I merely mean to draw it out , which in turn tends to leave me open to counter attack. I've been trying to get more patient with fighting, the game does NOT want you to flail about like a mad man , it usually doesn't work and the 3rd area is the first zone that outright punishes you for doing so due to the nature of the weapons they wield.

The upgraded beetle was fun to play with as well.

So at the moment I'm saved back at skyloft having purchased the second wallet upgrade (I can hold 1100 total now) and I found that even completing that entire section I still only got a single ornamental skull, almost makes me think the game is glitched, like the ornamental skull was supposed to be the common drop with the gold skull being the rare drop but instead in my case at least it's the other way around , I got like 7 gold skulls and only 1 ornamental skull. Basically I still can't upgrade anything.

So you guys were quick to tell me how I can use bugs , how about nighttime flying? I didn't even try it yet but the knights say I shouldn't be out flying then. Is that just their way of saying "if you see you , you get sent back to skyloft" or can I in fact fly about at night ? I get the sneaking suspicion that I have to do the next skyloft subquest at night time.

Medalion

Banned
Finally past the quicksand part of the desert and activated all the power generators...
So I am finally at dungeon 3, the Lanayru Mining Facility, about somewhere between probably the start and quarter way through. I put it to rest there. Good times.

Thanks for the hints earlier

Lingitiz

So... is there anything more to the sky than the rocks dotted around the some Octoroks on them?
There are some very small islands with minigames and whatnot. The goddess cubes you hit will show up in the sky and you can fly over to the small islands and collect them.

braves01

Banned
After nearly having a stroke from rage/frustration during against the first boss (and pretty much all the enemies in the first dungeon) due to Motion Plus, something clicked on the way to dungeon two and that old Zelda feeling started to kick in.

D-Pad

So getting from the end of dungeon three to the start of four took an entire night's worth of playtime. Thoughts:

-Revisiting the first dungeon, however, was not [fun].
-Really really not
-Seriously, fuck that mogma
-And that fucking key
-And those stalfos

^ Thisthisthisthisthisthisthis ^

Also, how the hell does the harp work? I can't get the timing down at all, despite having rhythm.

About to revisit Faron Woods... I have to beat this game before Black Friday... Let's go!!

I wasn't entirely sold on this game yet but that 3rd dungeon is holy sheeeut amazing.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So... is there anything more to the sky than the rocks dotted around the some Octoroks on them?

Not really spoiler but just in case:

- Some treasure chests (some of them containing useful things like medals, piece of heart, and even an empty bottle) that can only be opened by striking the Goddess Cubes with Skyward Sword.
- A place where you can play bug-catching mini game.
- A place where you can play sky-diving mini game.
- A place where you can play bamboo cutting mini game.
- A place where you can find a restaurant where you can play, hey, another mini-games! (pumpkin carrying and harp strumming)
- A place where specific story-related events occur.
- Oh, and Beadle's island where as far as I can tell you can do absolutely nothing but to talk to him during the night... well, there's a treasure chest there, I suppose.

...IIRC that's it. Pretty disappointing, I know... which is why I went @____@ reading various Iwata's Ask sessions where they mentioned "extreme density" in the sky... bollocks :\

After nearly having a stroke from rage/frustration during against the first boss (and pretty much all the enemies in the first dungeon) due to Motion Plus, something clicked on the way to dungeon two and that old Zelda feeling started to kick in.
And you got accustomed to the controls, or do you mean that game started to get that zelda feel and the controls still suck?

Really interesting how different people's first impression of the controls are.

Branduil

I found that even completing that entire section I still only got a single ornamental skull, almost makes me think the game is glitched, like the ornamental skull was supposed to be the common drop with the gold skull being the rare drop but instead in my case at least it's the other way around , I got like 7 gold skulls and only 1 ornamental skull. Basically I still can't upgrade anything.

This seems to be a common problem.

Lunar15

I'm pretty late in the game.

I'll say this. This game has some minor low points and flaws, it's true.. but when it makes up for it, IT MAKES UP FOR IT. But, given how this game plays out, I can definitely see why it's divisive. It's divisive in my own brain. I definitely can't say it's the best ZELDA game, but it's a stupidly good GAME all around, even if it's decidedly un-zelday in many parts. It's just very hard to classify. I love it though.

Also:
Fuck that harp sequence in the Lumpy Pumpkin. Absolutely Horrendous.

Medalion

Banned
The game is starting come together feeling like Wind Waker meets A Link to the Past is quite a high compliment despite some weird controller decisions, the game makes me feel like I was playing those games again which is amazing

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Wow, after hearing all the terrible things about swimming controls I expected a lot worse. You guys are holding down A while you swim, right?
I did a lot of swimmimg yesterday and I think it's very well executed. Also I completely got the hand of the bug net, which was the only control causing me problems.

Enhancing equipment, the beetle in particular feels great :)

I spent 2 hours in Skyloft yesterday, did lots of errands, good stuff: the writing, the humor...

The overall package is fantastic, I have rarely been that impressed wirh a game.

Why would anything happen, it shouldn't be any different walking out of any shop... just browsing bitch
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere in this thread that something funny happens if you walk out of Beedle's shop without buying anything. I could be wrong though.
Edit: Nevermind, figured it out.

The Lamp

Physics test has been conquered, now I finally got a chance to play.

Finally got my sword and tunic. I'd say that this was a pretty long introductory/opening phase. Not quite like Twilight Princess, but longer than Wind Waker's. I kinda liked it but so far Skyloft is pretty boring. Hopefully it spices up as the game progresses. I love the relationship with Zelda and Link this time around.

D-Pad

I'm pretty late in the game.

I'll say this. This game has some minor low points and flaws, it's true.. but when it makes up for it, IT MAKES UP FOR IT. But, given how this game plays out, I can definitely see why it's divisive. It's divisive in my own brain. I definitely can't say it's the best ZELDA game, but it's a stupidly good GAME all around, even if it's decidedly un-zelday in many parts. It's just very hard to classify. I love it though.

Also:
Fuck that harp sequence in the Lumpy Pumpkin. Absolutely Horrendous.

@ Spoiler: This is where I'm stuck. I'm following the movements exactly, but Link sometimes does his own thing and will start bringing his hand back across.

Part of the
letter
quest is permanently missable.

Damn. :\

braves01

Banned
And you got accustomed to the controls, or do you mean that game started to get that zelda feel and the controls still suck?

Really interesting how different people's first impression of the controls are.

Getting used to the controls was the big hurdle for me. At first, I was losing half my health flailing at groups of moblins because I was trying to line up my swings, and when those didn't connect and I started taking damage, I'd panic and swing too fast. It's definitely not like older Zelda games where where sword speed was only limited by how fast you could mash a button and there was no consequence for swinging like crazy (I played TP on Gamecube so I don't know how the Wii version played).

I think the second area and dungeon are also much better than the those in the beginning so that helped, too.

So about to head to the fifth dungeon and...

Really guys. THOSE were the infamous "frustrating" Silent Realms and return to Skyview? Shit took like 5 minutes each. The swimming controls were fine too.

this game is amaz-o

Arc07

I'm missing
three dowsing targets (although I assume North is for main quest and East is for side quests. What's the NE one for?

czk

Typical COD gamer
Sorry, but collecting the
sacred water
for the
Water Dragon
was the most stupid thing I've done in this game. Not only it destroys the pacing and artificially adds to the lenght of the game, but also one tiny bottle? Really? When hi soaks his ass in a whole basin? Argh!

The walls of text after collecting items/bugs are destroying my soul :(. Right now I can tell almost every item's place on that board from memory :(. Fuck.
220px-The_Scream.jpg

So getting from the end of dungeon three to the start of four took an entire night's worth of playtime. Thoughts:

-The imprisoned is very cool. Very very cool. I hope it stays that way.
-Re-visiting Faron Woods was fun.
-The silent realm was also fun.
-So was getting to the water dragon.
-Revisiting the first dungeon, however, was not.
-Really really not
-Seriously, fuck that mogma
-And that fucking key
-And those stalfos
-But the water dragon's true form looks really cool
-So thats alright I guess
I'm halfway through this process and the latter half sounds awful. God knows the first half definitely was, even if
the tear hunt
wasn't quite as bad as in TP.

I feel like from here on out the game is going to be equally shit as it is great. :( Why can't they just make a good 25 hour Zelda game rather than stretch it out?

I died twice on the first one which didn't help, haha.

They're not nearly as bad as in TP, much better designed, but it's still a polished turd. The whole section after dungeon 3 just feels like PADDDINGGGGGG and I hear there's a lot more of that.

It seems to be more of a problem with each modern Zelda, even though the actual gameplay and dungeon design is better than ever.

I flew through those sections super fast and was wondering what the "HOLY SHIT PADDING" was. The two sections combined are like, 20-30 minutes long if that, in a game that by that point has taken up 20 hours of your time.

It feels like it's taking longer, though. You're going back through the same areas and if that spoiler is true
you even go back to the first dungeon?
Super lame. There's just no excuse for it in my mind, it's not needed. Make original content.

I'm at the
water dragon
at the moment, though, which is a cool section.

It feels like it's taking longer, though. You're going back through the same areas and if that spoiler is true
you even go back to the first dungeon?
Super lame. There's just no excuse for it in my mind, it's not needed. Make original content.

If you just stop and think for like five seconds and look around a room, that section (which people are acting like is a game-breaking end of the world) is about four very short rooms long, then a really cool twist on a boss fight with a new mechanic encouraged.

I'll do it tonight so I'll see for myself then!

I just know that everything after the third dungeon has already bored me and made me stop playing last night.

Granted, part of that is Dark Souls being so awesome and calling for me to come back to it >_>

watershed

Banned
The tear hunts are awesome. I enjoy the challenge of planning out my route and figuring out how to get from one tear to the next without being caught. And getting an alert is seriously tense stuff. I didn't find it slow or boring at all and it didn't feel like "padding".

Unrelated, one great moment so far in the game between the 4th dungeon and en route to the 5th:
The captain's retreat or whatever its called, when you get inside his house, clean it, and see the robot's life thousands of years ago. It made me a little sad to read the notes on his wall and to see the paintings. A good little moment for the game

Lingitiz

Holy shit dungeon 4's boss was amazing. I really loved using the
whip, and using those big swords against it was so satisfying.

Anth0ny

I would not call the tear hunts awesome, but they're definitely an improvement over Twilight Princess'. They were kinda fun, I guess. Shit gets tense when the statues awaken.

They shouldn't be in the god damn game at all, though. 5 years and this was the best they could come up with?

Top Bottom