• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Did anybody see this?

S6lsZ.jpg
Tribute to the ol' pic thread

noapparentreason.jpg

Man, for all the haters who want a more "mature" Zelda. Compare the style of this to TP and it just seems foolish to want anything but this. TP was bland and depressing compared to this game. It just works perfectly.

CassSept

Damn, the major con of this game is how I feel empty right now. I tried playing other games but they just don't cut it. I'm sad, such a terrific game.

Majora

This game can be so schizophrenic. Must be fairly near the end now and I've just done a boring 20 minute collectathon of which N64 era Rare would be proud. At times the game can be genuinely progressive, at others it's like Nintendo still thinks it's 1998.

Tuck

I saw a lot of people complain about the Earth temple, but I thought it was great. Fun, unique, and visually stunning.

The boss was also very good.

I liked it too. It wasn't hard per se (Aside from one spot I couldn't figure out how to proceed till I looked at the map), but it was pretty clever. And the
part where you get the boss key was cool.

ENDING SPOILERS
I thought it was neat that Ghirahim was just the spirit of Demise's sword (honestly didn't expect that), and that the sword was basically an evil Master Sword. Also, I was surprised there wasn't any slow down when the waves of Bokoblins came rushing in.

ace3skoot

just reached
flooded faron woods
and continuing with post dungeon 6 antics
I'm assuming that was the last real one? :(

i need the last note its a yellow one stuck under a spiked lilly pad? how do i get it?

love, love loving! this game....though am now entering about to as big of fetch quest filler scernario as i fear?

I played the first 3 hours of Skyward Sword last night.

Early impressions.. motion plus is awesome and it's implemented well enough to keep Link's arm stable but also respond accurately to what your intended movement is.

The game is beautifully crafted. I hear the complaint of filler content being thrown around but I think I may just "get it" in terms of how the devs intertwined cinematics, environments, graphics, combat and pacing.

This is going to be an amazing ride, and I can't believe it came out the same time as Skyrim, I'll have to really commit to finishing it over December.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Take for instance the route to dungeon 5 I believe
The Sandsea

The boat stuff is cool, like a paired down version of that DS game's boat applied to some small areas. Its a novel trick with the time stuff, and you're following a breadcrumb trail of clues to find the real Dungeon. Then it sends me to one room, which has the re-use of a boss in it and its like.... PAAAADDDDDIINNNNGGGGG. nothing else in there, amplified by Fi having to say "yeh, nothing in here of any interest now. lol."

What? How is the [road to dungeon 5 spoiler]
mine cart ride padding? The reused boss is meant to be something you don't expect to see in the open, and it's not a coincidence they chose the easiest one. It also needs less hits to go down, and in what? Three minutes tops? There is padding in this game, but saying 3-5 minutes sequences once in a while are PAAAADDDDDIINNNNGGGGG is a little bit too much.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
just reached
flooded faron woods
and continuing with post dungeon 6 antics
I'm assuming that was the last real one? :(

i need the last note its a yellow one stuck under a spiked lilly pad? how do i get it?

love, love loving! this game....though am now entering about to as big of fetch quest filler scernario as i fear?

[Post dungeon 6 spoilers]

You need to
jump from the tree to flip the lily pad.
About the filler,
that flooded part is the biggest one and you're almost done with it.

Wurst

I am finished with 6 dungeons. I'm going to be so sad when this game is over. It's too short! Will I have to wait another 5 years?!?!

Well, they said they experimented for 2 years. Assuming they don't need to experiment with HD graphics or Wii U that much they should be a bit quicker this time. Having the Wiimotion+ Controls perfected and all.

Anyway, I won't stand 5 years without Zelda again. By then I'm probably husband and father o_O

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The 3rd dungeon boss was a joke. :(
Ghirahim >> Big Ball of Fire >>>> Scorpion.
You'd think this would be some mini-boss instead.

At least the dungeon itself was interesting.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
an entirely on rails (literally) sequence and a re-used boss followed by a "I GUESS THERES NOTHING HERE, HAHA" prompt is the definition of padding. And the game just doesn't need it. Bottles of restorative water to be fetched from the other side of the map and through a temple, finding gates to challenge levels somewhere in a level and more just sour me from the actual good parts.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The 3rd dungeon boss was a joke. :(
Ghirahim >> Big Ball of Fire >>>> Scorpion.
You'd think this would be some mini-boss instead.

At least the dungeon itself was interesting.
[Dungeon 3 boss spoilers]
Yes, it's by far the weakest boss in the game imho. The twist when he buried himself under the sand was pretty cool, though.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
an entirely on rails (literally) sequence and a re-used boss followed by a "I GUESS THERES NOTHING HERE, HAHA" prompt is the definition of padding. And the game just doesn't need it. Bottles of restorative water to be fetched from the other side of the map and through a temple, finding gates to challenge levels somewhere in a level and more just sour me from the actual good parts.
Dude, spoiler tags.

[Pre-dungeon 5 spoilers]
I had no idea on rails sequences were padding. Oh, wait, they're not. And I said myself the game does have padding, but this doesn't mean EVERYTHING is, or that we should start calling out padding at the first, smallest instance of repetition (which is, in case you never noticed, what video games are based on, a repetition of actions within a set of rules). If we did, there would be nothing left in any game.

The outside the dungeon stuff is very hit or miss. 1 and 2 had terrible pre-dungeon tasks. 3 had an excellent one, followed by some tedious fetching after the dungeon. 5 was really fun (I don't care if ultimately it was linear and pointless, it was fun).

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Damn, we even defend padding/tedious fetch quests now as the basis of video gaming.
We also distort the meaning of words, apparently. Or lack reading comprehension: the sentence had nothing to do with padding or fetch quests, and everything to do with the fact you can theoretically call anything padding, because videogames are inherently a repetitive activity, but it doesn't mean it makes sense to.

Link Man

Banned
So if you raise your shield, the enemies don't predict your sword swings? Neat.

Also, fighting the rolling crab guys is pretty fun (just make sure you have a wooden shield!).

Reknoc

Wow, I hadn't even noticed a traditional Zelda thing was missing upto this point until post dungeon 6
The Thunder Dragon section, where it finally had Traps

We also distort the meaning of words, apparently. Or lack reading comprehension: the sentence had nothing to do with padding or fetch quests, and everything to do with the fact you can theoretically call anything padding, because videogames are inherently a repetitive activity, but it doesn't mean it makes sense to.

Oh stop being so obtuse, Jocchan. When people say something is "repetitive" they usually mean because its fucking BORING. The game didn't engage you with enough variety, depth, or challenge to mask its repetitive design decisions.

There's a lot of BORING/"repetitive" gameplay elements in Skyward Sword.

jonno394

[Dungeon 3 boss spoilers]
Yes, it's by far the weakest boss in the game imho. The twist when he buried himself under the sand was pretty cool, though.

It literally took me till my last heart or two till it actually clicked what I was supposed to do at that point, when i realised it I kicked myself.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Oh stop being so obtuse, Jocchan. When people say something is "repetitive" they usually mean because its fucking BORING. The game didn't engage you with enough variety, depth, or challenge to mask its repetitive design decisions.

And that's what I said (twice, actually). What I also said is that this doesn't mean it makes sense to call out everything we meet as padding, just because we know there is padding in the game.
Would it make sense to call the second deku baba you meet in the game padding because you already defeated one? Of course not, it would be laughable. So where do we draw the line? Probably at the point where you stop having fun and start to see the puppet strings. And while there are some of these instances throughout the game, honestly, I believe most of the ones that are being called out are way overblown.
But hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course.

Sure but it's never just black and white. Do you think devs would include so called fetch quests in games if it was a fact that fetch quests are 0% fun and 100% agony? Some fetch quests are made better than others, some players like certain fetch quests better than others.

P.S. I'm not denying that there isn't any boring/repetitive gameplay in ss.

Sinthetic

Upgrade guy, Kikwi, Fortune Teller and
Demon
are amazing. Such awesome characters.

The Fortune teller is like something out of Ghibli. Genius design.

It feels like they wanted every pre-dungeon segment to be of reasonable size and length but didn't invest in the resources for half of them to make them enjoyable.

And that's what I said (twice, actually). What I also said is that this doesn't mean it makes sense to call out everything we meet as padding, just because we know there is padding in the game.
Would it make sense to call the second deku baba you meet in the game padding because you already defeated one? Of course not, it would be laughable. So where do we draw the line? Probably at the point where you stop having fun and start to see the puppet strings. And while there are some of these instances throughout the game, honestly, I believe most of the ones that are being called out are way overblown.

Again I'm not very far in the game but thus far I 100% agree. Someone out there is literally being hypercritical based on what I've seen. Being critical is absolutely necessary to giving accurate depictions of games, but hypercriticism comes from some other more sinister place.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This. Going to places I have already been - better equiped - is fun. And I can't get enough of this game.

ryan-ts

It feels like they wanted every pre-dungeon segment to be of reasonable size and length but didn't invest in the resources for half of them to make them enjoyable.

I agree but I've felt this way with every 3D Zelda outside of OoT, where the pre-dungeon stuff was reasonably enjoyable.

Holy crap, the Symphonic Movement's are so well put together. Sounds like they came straight out of an anime or a movie. Sogood.gif
I got goosebumps from the Twilight Princess Symphonic Movement because of the Ganon boss music. So epic.

Top Bottom