• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

ASIS

Don't be scared, mine work near perfectly and I'm sure many others in here have the same degree of enjoyment from them.

They worked perfectly most of the time (like about 90% of the timeif not more). But doesn't change the fact that it didn't work perfectly a couple of times.

jarosh

This game is like a fountain of the worst Nintendo habits, mixed with some of the best
sounds pretty much like what i said the other day ;)

The second is what almost seems like over sensitivity to the swinging, and by this I mean the difficulty of changing stance without it registering a swing. I think back to something like Red Steel 2, of all things, and how easy it was to rapidly aim, shoot, turn and swing in any direction, with tight response and accurate controls. When I'm holding my sword to Link's left, and want to move it to Link's right quicky, 99% of the time it will register an attack, and I'm left having to change stance exactly how the game wants me to and at the game's chosen pace to avoid unwanted swing recognition. Is it a deal breaker? Not at all, but it does remove some feeling of precision and control of the sword fighting that I'd prefer.
oh wow, this is actually a good point. i almost forgot about red steel 2 and how that sort of thing was never ONCE a problem in that game. curious. maybe nintendo's implementation isn't the pinnacle of motion plus sword combat after all, eh?

only thing i dont like about the controls is no camera controls, that the only thing for me all the other stuff work fine for me if not better

Alrus

Done with the first dungeon, I'm getting much better with the sword control but I still can't get it to work as well as I want to.

The second is what almost seems like over sensitivity to the swinging, and by this I mean the difficulty of changing stance without it registering a swing. I think back to something like Red Steel 2, of all things, and how easy it was to rapidly aim, shoot, turn and swing in any direction, with tight response and accurate controls. When I'm holding my sword to Link's left, and want to move it to Link's right quicky, 99% of the time it will register an attack, and I'm left having to change stance exactly how the game wants me to and at the game's chosen pace to avoid unwanted swing recognition. Is it a deal breaker? Not at all, but it does remove some feeling of precision and control of the sword fighting that I'd prefer.

This is the exact problem I have with the swinging. Sometimes it just feel overly sensitive and trying to feint enemies can get frustrating because I want to do it faster than the game wants me too. It kinda takes away from the battles.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's going to be interesting to see how I feel once I've had time to reflect on the experience, especially after Hero Mode.

I supposed my issues with the Zelda series at this point boils down to the bullshit-to-amazing ratio. At times Skyward Sword is unbelievably good, yet the game as a whole is littered with silly and questionable design that, I guess, drags down my overall perception of the experience. I'm still able to love the adventure as a whole, but I'd by lying if there weren't points in the game where I think to myself "This is boring" or "This is lame". All the good stuff manages to rise above the bad, and thus I always leave satisfied, but the fact there is some weird and bad stuff (in my opinion) is a problem that has persisted with the franchise for way too long.

I guess the summary would be; a part of me hoped Skyward Sword would make me feel a similar way as Mario Galaxy 2 did, that I could barely fault any part of the experience and felt it was an absolute representation of what the franchise can offer. I do get that feeling from Skyward Sword, but not consistently and not for every part of the game.

Though seeing as there are others who feel differently, maybe it's just a difference of experience on my end.

EDIT: Even though I don't agree with everything Amir0x likes/dislikes, "This game is like a fountain of the worst Nintendo habits, mixed with some of the best" is the best way I could summarise my feelings. There's a ton of great, and yet way too much crap.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So I want to try something, except that I left my Wii back in Minnesota: if the sword is on the left of an enemy and you swing the remote from right to left without moving your hand to the right first, will it still register as a right to left slash? It would be incredibly awkward physically.

I have the opposite issue with swinging. Sometimes I'll want to slash and Link just adjusts his stance.

It's rarely an problem, but it has happened before.

- Music: Again, don't understand why anyone is disappointed here, absolutely stunning pieces and very, very appropriate.
The harp though, was unnecessary, I knew from the minute I saw it that it would only serve as a plot device, but.. they could have done more with it I think.
While it's certainly one of the better Zelda soundtracks I will admit to being somewhat disappointed by the music, after the Mario Galaxy games I think I was expecting a bit more.

*Final boss spoilers*
The fact that Bowser has more grander and memorable boss music 4 times in both Galaxy games over Demise just seems wrong really, of course that's subjective but i'm standing by it

Fi's theme and the romance theme seem to be the standouts from the games music selection for me right now.

Amir0x

Banned
sounds pretty much like what i said the other day ;)

I really am surprised how much I agree with your assessment. You've called it at every turn, basically. I found it hard to believe things would remain this way throughout the entire journey, but I'm resigned now that it is. There are design decisions in this game that a first time Xbox Live Arcade developer wouldn't make, and there are also design decisions that the same XBLA developer could spend his entire life trying to recreate in kind and wouldn't.

But ultimately the deal breaker on this Zelda is the combat controls mixed with the hand holding. The hand holding alone, I could deal with... but when you combine it with the unreliable controls, it's not acceptable for me. For me the controls must work all the time, without fail. That's what the best games do and that's what Zelda has done up until now. So that's why I'm personally marking this down.

ASIS

So I want to try something, except that I left my Wii back in Minnesota: if the sword is on the left of an enemy and you swing the remote from right to left without moving your hand to the right first, will it still register as a right to left slash? It would be incredibly awkward physically.

yup! It's really strange that the sword controls don't have a "center" so to speak, no idea why though.

StevieP

Banned
only thing i dont like about the controls is no camera controls, that the only thing for me all the other stuff work fine for me if not better

I wasn't as bothered about that due to the Z button recentering... what I did not like was the fact that the pointer was implemented a-la Sony Move (gyro/accel based) instead of infrared, requiring the occasional recalibration via d-pad down. It's less precise, and needless. Only reason I can see for them to use a motion-based pointer is for an eventual WiiU port.

BY2K

Membero Americo
For me it's all worth it for the last hours of the game, which are the best of the entire series.

The Water Dragon can go fuck itself, though.

Again, no issue with Motion Controls (except for the Pumpkin Shooting mini-game, which I absolutely had to re-calibrate the remote for before I got the 900 points.)

I mean, of course you will have to re-calibrate, it's like that for the Move too. Things will go out of balance sooner or later. Aside from that, they worked flawlessly.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

As far as I'm aware yes. If you make a move that would normally register a swing, it will always swing in the right direction regardless of what Link's stance is. But even so, it's still frustrating to move from one side of the other, as swinging the way you suggest is, as you put it, physically awkward.

Red Steel 2 is an interesting case because it required heavy, long swings to register movements, so much so that weak swings would register as weak attacks. Zelda on the other hand is very, very sensitive and you can pull off a lot of directional attacks with slight movements. I kind of wish I could lower the sensitivity to something like Red Steel 2. Even though I'd be forced to make bigger movements, I'd at least know I can swing in all directions without fear of unwanted attacks while I change stance.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm done reading this thread. I've been loving the shit out of this game and all of you are just making me doubt myself.

You love the game. Why would we make you doubt it?

You have your own experience, I have my own. It's really weird to let others affect you so much that you begin to sense you need to change your mind. Unless you've been trying to convince yourself of something that isn't true, then there's no reason to feel any change simply because others have a different experience. Most people love the game, despite the problems.

You have your own experience, I have my own. It's really weird to let others affect you so much that you begin to sense you need to change your mind. Unless you've been trying to convince yourself of something that isn't true, then there's no reason to feel any change simply because others have a different experience.

It's mostly people I've patently agreed with in the past having a seemingly very different experience than me.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Haven't had any issues with the controls so far. Except rolling bombs, but that's not as much of a control issue, it's easy to do but dammit I can't lean back in my comfy couch and do it!

Gino

I have had 0 problems with thrusting or any swinging. The only time I've noticed a need to recalibrate is when sitting off center from the sensor bar.

I know people are seeing something that is making them feel certain aspects of the control are broken but... I just don't see it. I really feel like some people are just doing it wrong. Or there is something in their play inviroment causing it... Or they are playing on dolphin.

I tried this on dolphins with the demo and I defiantly saw control issues there. When I would shoot the bow/slingshot it would be way off from where the cursor was pointed.

I guess Nintendo is going to have to take into account that no matter how well they do motion controls some folks are still going to have problem or they just won't get it. Kinda sucks because for me I want this style of combat or deeper in future Zelda's.

WW and tp basically amount to hitting A until enemies die. I vastly prefer the combat here.

Amir0x

Banned
It's mostly people I've patently agreed with in the past having a seemingly very different experience than me.

well there you go! You have a different experience. if the hand holding doesn't bother you, or if the text bloat is not a nuisance, or if the motion+ success rate is higher for you, naturally the game is going to seem almost entirely different.

The bosses in this game are top notch and two of the dungeons are some of the best in the franchise, and puzzle design can be a highlight. So there is plenty to like, and most people love it.

ASIS

For me it's all worth it for the last hours of the game, which are the best of the entire series.

The Water Dragon can go fuck itself, though.

Again, no issue with Motion Controls (except for the Pumpkin Shooting mini-game, which I absolutely had to re-calibrate the remote for before I got the 900 points.)

I mean, of course you will have to re-calibrate, it's like that for the Move too. Things will go out of balance sooner or later. Aside from that, they worked flawlessly.

... 900 points? I spent 5 hours yesterday trying to get the 600.

WTF?!!

Amir0x

Banned
WW and tp basically amount to hitting A until enemies die. I vastly prefer the combat here.

i know people are going to hate the comparison but I really now want Wii U Zelda combat to try to emulate some of the ideas behind Demon Souls/Dark Souls. Not difficulty wise, obviously, but you can certainly bring over some of the ideas about enemies defending, looking for openings, etc if you use a more methodical combat approach, only with buttons instead of unreliable motions. So in this way you can utilize some of the combat ideas from Skyward Sword without losing reliability.

BY2K

Membero Americo
You know what controls work 100% of the time for 100% of people in Zelda games?

Buttons

Make it happen, Nintendo

Aonuma said he didn't want to drop motion controls for Zelda Wii U, but it wouldn't make sense to left out the brand new controller, so either they make a compromise with the two or they drop the WiiRemote completely.

You know what controls work 100% of the time for 100% of people in Zelda games?

Buttons

Make it happen, Nintendo

The motion controls are a dream for me when I'm feeling invested in them. I do find myself bemoaning the loss of button input when I'm tired and feel the need to lean back and relax but want to continue playing. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to an HD Zelda with traditional controls.

EatChildren

I'm done reading this thread. I've been loving the shit out of this game and all of you are just making me doubt myself.

See, despite all my frustrations and stuff I look at and think "Why the fuck did they do this?" I'm still, unquestionably, loving the shit out of the game too. As said, dungeon four is a good contender for my top five Zelda dungeons and one of the highest points of the game for me. I love the feeling of flying and man, free falling is just an incredible sensation, so much so I want the next Zelda to be set in the sky too. I really dig the motion controlled item use, have zero problems with recalibration, and even with issues enjoy the sword swinging. I don't share all the experiences other have with the segmented overword, and like the more dungeon like questing of pre-dungeon areas.

I don't doubt that this game will be responsible for some of my fondest 3D Zelda memories, and in all parts of the game. I guess I'm just a bit too cynical for my own good, and always more vocal about what I don't like over what I did.

So, on a more positive note, I fucking love Groose. His character is awesome and his cutscenes, especially when he
trails Link to ground
, are wonderful. In fact, I'm enjoying the story more than I thought I would, and it has some wonderful characters..

Garcia

Lol. Just keep posting your own impressions, don't let outside judgement or opinions permeate your own.

Back on topic, I don't get why they keep adding those fetch quests in between some parts of the game... I'm talking about
all the 4th pre-dungeon stuff.
I mean, some of the things they ask you to do are cool but seriously
re-visiting an old temple just for the sake of history progression feels like an artificial way to lengthen the game; total overkill

God damn it Aonuma.... You bastard.

Anyways, I'm in the middle of the 4th dungeon right now, 27 hours in.

Amir0x

Banned
4th dungeon is easily one of the best Zelda dungeons ever, imo.

People who played Twilight Princess - which I fucking loved - were always saying that about the Sky Dungeon, which actually was a disappointment to me relatively speaking. Not so with 4th dungeon. People were exactly right here.

Pyrokai

You have your own experience, I have my own. It's really weird to let others affect you so much that you begin to sense you need to change your mind. Unless you've been trying to convince yourself of something that isn't true, then there's no reason to feel any change simply because others have a different experience. Most people love the game, despite the problems.

It's really not that weird. You like something a lot and then come in here and everyone is shitting all over it, it makes you feel bad and question your own tastes. I'm having the same problem as shadyspace. I need to avoid this place. GAF can be a real downer.

EatChildren

4th dungeon is easily one of the best Zelda dungeons ever, imo.

People who played Twilight Princess - which I fucking loved - were always saying that about the Sky Dungeon, which actually was a disappointment to me relatively speaking. Not so with 4th dungeon. People were exactly right here.

Great minds think alike.

But my mind is greater.

Arbiter's Grounds is the best dungeon from Twilight Princess, and also in my top five.

ASIS

Yeah, I feel the same way. I'm really looking hard to see if I'm just sugar coating the game to meet my expectations. But no, really the entire game offered a brilliant experience for me. Very, very charming, very clever, and those fetch quests everyone s complaining about, I loved them.

ESPECIALLY
the flooded faron woods, I wanted to come here and share my excitement with everyone, only to find that I'm the only one who enjoyed that section. At least I'm not the only one who enjoyed the silent realm or the key fetch quest for the earth temple.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Controls work so well for me, it responds exactly to what I do 95% of the time. Combat should be compared to a fighting game more than a press a button mechanic a la TP or Uncharted 3. More chances to miss 5% precision in the process but triple the ambition and fun.

Davey Cakes

I haven't read this thread or the review thread in a while. But I figured I'd pop in now that I've actually played some of the game.

I just started the first temple. Yeah, not far at all. But I do want to say that Faron Woods has really been a pleasure to go through. Great music and cool layout. I can't wait until I have whatever items I need to traverse the currently blocked off areas.

Skyloft and the Sky in general are cool and all, but Faron Woods is where I'm really getting a great Zelda vibe that reminds me more of classic Zelda for some reason.

As for the motion controls, they've been fine. I've had to adjust to swordplay a bit, and have actually noticed that playing standing up improves the experience. Riding my bird is alright but the whole "lift" aspect is a bit annoying, though I'm getting used to it.

It's really not that weird. You like something a lot and then come in here and everyone is shitting all over it, it makes you feel bad and question your own tastes. I'm having the same problem as shadyspace. I need to avoid this place. GAF can be a real downer.
This is why I stopped reading the Zelda threads. I hadn't even gotten the game yet and people were shitting on it. The last thing I wanted to do was start playing this game with expectations in either the extremely positive or extremely negative direction.

When talking about things like the motion controls, you really can't go in thinking that they'll be shit, because then when they don't respond exactly to what you want, you'll experience confirmation bias. Going in with an open mind is extremely important. You have to work with what the game gives you and you have to make judgments on your own. For example, without a clear head something as simple as rope swinging in SS would make me angry if I had a bad view of motion controls. But then if I go in without judgment, I figure out how to do it the best way on my own, realizing what the game wants me to do. It's satisfying when you do something correctly by figuring it out, but it's not satisfying when you do something correctly by "muscling through it" and I'm pretty sure that motion control-haters are always muscling through things instead of just giving it the time to truly figure them out.

Amir0x

Banned

Are people lacking that much confidence in their own points of view that this happens? I guess I can't relate to that phenomenon. For me, even if I LOVE a game, I vastly prefer to read comments by people who hate it. Because those are the only interesting comments to me, not the ones who are just nodding their heads in lazy self-congratulatory agreement. I mean it's nice to relate to people to when you share common likes/dislikes... but eh.

Top Bottom