• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I haven't gone past Skyloft yet so I didn't know they were going to map left and right on the d-pad, so I was extra baffled that those two buttons did not move the camera. Such a bad design decision.

They DON'T map anything to the left and right dpad, AFAIK. There's really no reason camera control wouldn't work.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
it's not going to be setting any impressive world records in that department. It's typical hacky-slashy Elder Scrolls style, but with a better implemented magic system and feasible archery class. But its scale improvement comes in dungeon design, which is far better than its immediate predecessor and adds immensely to the feeling of individuality the game has.

Basically everyone needs to take pointers from Dark Souls/Demon souls.
No, they don't. Dark Souls is an excellent game, but Skyward Sword's combat is far more enjoyable. First, because you can choose your own pacing. If you want, you can hang back and kill the enemies carefully, hitting them precisely when an opening appears. Or, you can get right in the middle of the action and flail around like a madman having fun but losing some health. Second, because the 1:1 combat more tactile for the gamer and reliable when done correctly.

I honestly don't understand how people are finding swordplay unreliable. My experience was incredibly positive in this department. I'm almost convinced that there is some interference or you guys aren't taking the time to learn motion's limits.

Amir0x

Banned
I loved that because I just helped the girl with her bird and her brother and they were both super grateful and then he walks up and is all "Oh yeah good job making sure my daughter wasn't kidnapped I guess DOOT DE DOO DOO"

that's exactly what made it stands out! too funny

Gummb said:
No, they don't. Dark Souls is an excellent game, but Skyward Sword's combat is far more enjoyable. First, because you can choose your own pacing. If you want, you can hang back and kill the enemies carefully, hitting them precisely when an opening appears. Or, you can get right in the middle of the action and flail around like a madman having fun but losing some health. Second, because the 1:1 combat more tactile for the gamer and reliable when done correctly.

this is wrong on multiple levels - first, because you can 'hang back and kill enemies carefully' in Dark Souls if you want, two because you can also then hit them precise when an opening appears. And three, because you CAN'T just get in the middle of the action and flail like a madman and "win." Newsflash, that last part is not a positive. You shouldn't be advertising that as 'good' for Skyward Sword. And of course we've discussed the reliability issue - not only is it factually less reliable than buttons, you have to occasionally recalibrate or re-center.

But we don't need a DS topic - my point was that you can have the strategy while remaining with buttons. Skyward Sword is pretty light on strategy anyway, excepting bosses.

My favourite is
giving the kid's love letter to the toilet ghost for what you assume will be to whip ghost ass, unintentionally causing a love affair between the two, the ghost fawning over the kid every night, causing his every sleep to be filled with nightmares.

I can't believe they made me choose what to do with the
love letter
. Choice? In a Zelda game? THIS IS NOT OKAY.

Xane

Am I the only one who genuinely enjoyed the
flooded faron woods part?

It seemed like an awesome idea to really change the landscape of a place you already visited. They could have used lake floria, but the fact that it's the same place we have been to multiple times makes it even more awesome. Also, I love the fact that you are swimming and searching underwater, they aren't a means to and end, They are the end. You weren't swimming to solve a puzzle, you were just searching.

Honestly I think I must be blind or something because I just can't relate to 90% of the complaints (felt the same way about TP and WW BTW).

I liked it too. I can understand why everyone else hate it though.

I think you need to complete a character's sidequest and you definitely need to have a certain item.

You... you need to set beacons to get around town?

Yes, I do. Maybe it's the blurriness, but more than once Ive ended up going in circles and the wrong way.

Also, my gear screen is full. Just tell me what to do or where to go to find the game.

Papercuts

that's exactly what made it stands out! too funny

this is wrong on multiple levels - first, because you can 'hang back and kill enemies carefully' in Dark Souls if you want, two because you can also then hit them precise when an opening appears. And three, because you CAN'T just get in the middle of the action and flail like a madman and "win." Newsflash, that last part is not a positive. You shouldn't be advertising that as 'good' for Skyward Sword. And of course we've discussed the reliability issue - not only is it factually less reliable than buttons, you have to occasionally recalibrate or re-center.

But we don't need a DS topic - my point was that you can have the strategy while remaining with buttons. Skyward Sword is pretty light on strategy anyway, excepting bosses.

The bosses, sans the first, have all been some of the lightest on the actual motion controls, too. Atleast up to dungeon 4 where I'm at.

next zelda game shouldn't even have dungeons or combat it should be the story of a legendary hero who runs across a big town fucking with people's lives to generate magical sorrow biscuits or something

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Choice? In a Zelda game? THIS IS NOT OKAY.
I hope this is explored more in the next games. Sidequests with possibly multiple outcomes, but all giving you the same reward (so you don't really miss important objects by making the wrong choice).

next zelda game shouldn't even have dungeons or combat it should be the story of a legendary hero who runs across a big town fucking with people's lives to generate magical sorrow biscuits or something
Day one.

Papercuts

It's funny considering the game at the start actually seemed to try and stop you from the typical zelda tropes. Just waltzing into houses breaking pots; multiple people in the town mention "Why did you just barge in?". I broke lady's stuff and she forced me to pay rupees, and you can never look through anyone's cabinet...

but you CAN just come in to literally anyone's house, and pass out on their bed.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
They DON'T map anything to the left and right dpad, AFAIK. There's really no reason camera control wouldn't work.

Nintendo are the king when it comes to make games we love but with some absurd decisions/oversight. They never fully understand what their fans want.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

@petermolydeux

On a side note, I think I've found an easy way to get almost any resource in the game right now, so once I make all my money back I feel a second serving of upgrades coming my way.

Please share. I don't feel like travelling around the world and going through a million transition screens and walls of text to try and find bugs and treasure.

Branduil

Almost done with the game, and I think I had to use the recalibrate menu option once (because I wasn't paying attention at start up and accidentally touched the controller slightly during the start up calibration) since it does such a good job recalibrating the sword on its own.

Motion+ aiming really grew on me too. At the beginning of the game the cursor felt super sluggish and weird, after some time to practice I have no problem moving it around or aiming it right where I want to.

As for thrusts, I don't know what's up with other people but not once has my thrust ever registered as anything but a thrust.

Honestly I think some of the time it's just me panicking and going to fast, resulting in me swinging down while thrusting and making Link do the wrong thing. But it does seem like the thrust takes longer to do than the other moves too. I'll have to test it more.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
but you CAN just come in to literally anyone's house, and pass out on their bed.
[Item check sidequest spoiler]
Peatrice: "Our love must stay secret"
Peatrice's dad: "I will find the person who stole my daughter's heart" *sharpens blade*
*freely sleep in Peatrice's bed while her father is in the same room*

ASIS

I liked it too. I can understand why everyone else hate it though.
The reasons behind it? Maybe. But the actual gameplay was very fun IMO. It's like the
silent realms
Have no idea why people would hate it.

Speaking of NPC's Does the potion shop lady even knows she has a child to take care of? LOL no really, every time the baby is with his poor father while she's knocked out in the bed.

Gummb

I'm sorry, my point is that Dark Soul's combat is pretty slow and can only be slow. Skyward Sword's motion allows you to choose your own pacing, which is nice as it gives more player choice. Also, it's not a negative that you can flail around and win in Zelda because it feels pretty damn good when you are beating the snot out of some wimpy enemy. Also, you will lose more health if you do this, but yes... Zelda isn't as hard as Dark Souls. Third, sword play is far more tactile and fun in Skyward Sword because of motion. I built a relationship with my sword and my items in Skyward Sword, while I couldn't care less in Dark Souls.

Reliability is overrated, especially when it's hardly unreliable ever.

[Item check sidequest spoiler]
Peatrice: "Our love must stay secret"
Peatrice's dad: "I will find the person who stole my daughter's heart" *sharpens blade*
*freely sleep in Peatrice's bed while her father is in the same room*

I think something is glitched or worded incorrectly in something tangential to that sidequest:
if you go to the Clean Cut after this, Peater acts like someone broke his daughter's heart even if you didn't break it off.

Also, after that sidequest is done, Z-target
Peatrice
and read the new things Fi has to say.

Amir0x

Banned
Reliability is overrated

oh wow. I was going to respond to the whole post, but i guess this is one of those epiphany posts: "no way we can resolve such insane difference of opinion." much less when you combine your inherent wrongness about Dark Souls. Save the thread the trouble of wasting time on such a roller coaster.

Chao

Finished the game an hour ago. 7,5 , I'm not even fucking kidding
Well maaaybe an 8 because I loved 4th dungeon so much

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Honestly Amir0x I knew you were going to hate the controls two years ago when you complained about the control scheme in Red Steel 2. Yeah you got yourself all hyped over trailers, new information, etc. but you forgot one thing; Skyward Sword is Motion+ exclusive. Everything is controlled by motion. If you found Red Steel 2's controls to be annoying, unresponsive, unnecessary, etc. then I see no reason why you thought Skyward Sword would be any different. To be frank with everyone in here, Red Steel 2 STILL is the best controlling Motion+ game available. The brilliant use of IR shooting and motion sword-fighting created zero needs to ever re-calibrate the controller. And like EatChildren said, no small movements from left to right to change sword stances was ever mistaken for a sword swipe. Now I understand your opinion is also being swayed by your quibbles about hand-holding, fetch quests, and padding. These I understand, and personally somewhat agree with, but the game (so far) as a whole is too good to really fault it any more than slightly for those negatives.

So no offense to you AMir0x, because I value your opinion on many hardcore games and I often find myself agreeing with you more often then not. But when it comes to a Motion-Heavy game, I just can't agree with you on anything. The only problems I have had with the controls is small movements from left to right being registered as sword-swipes and tight-roping. Rolling bombs, aword/shield, flying, the beatle, bow and arrow, etc. have all controlled wonderfully for me and are a ton more engaging (IMO) then any other action game using analog or buttons presses to control these actions. I'll go as far as to say that any Legend of Zelda from here on out that opts to use a traditional control scheme in favor of the one we have here will be a heavy step back for the franchise. I'm talking about quality-wise, accessibility-wise, and sales-wise.

That's how far away I stand on other-side of the spectrum from you (and many others), and I don't think I am alone. With Skyward Sword we are witnessing before our eyes the greatest divide of Zelda fans ever.

apana

The motion controls actually make the combat much better than any previous Zelda. It feels great to deflect someone's attack and get at him at just the right moment. This game is a joy to play in all ways. Also I'm surprised we haven't changed the not so great thread title yet. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Chunky Monkey Ice Cream.

Gummb

what the actual FUCK am I reading
It is when I'm having more fun with the "unreliable combat" in Zelda. Like I said, I never had problems with it, but I also had a lot more fun using my sword in Zelda than anything in Dark Souls (yes, I do love Dark Souls btw).

Gummb

oh wow. I was going to respond to the whole post, but i guess this is one of those epiphany posts: "no way we can resolve such insane difference of opinion." much less when you combine your inherent wrongness about Dark Souls. Save the thread the trouble of wasting time on such a roller coaster.
My inherent wrongness about Dark Souls? Are you saying that you can have fast battles in that game? Because I'm honestly too scared to come out from hiding behind my shield most the time.

[EDIT] Sorry, double post...

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I think something is glitched or worded incorrectly in something tangential to that sidequest:
if you go to the Clean Cut after this, Peater acts like someone broke his daughter's heart even if you didn't break it off.
I took that as
him being angry about someone courting his daughter, not about breaking her heart. I can't remember the exact words, though.

Also, after that sidequest is done, Z-target
Peatrice
and read the new things Fi has to say.
I'll try this. The one thing I never did during my playthrough was calling Fi while Z-targeting to ask for info.

Amir0x

Banned
are a ton more engaging (IMO) then any other action game using analog or buttons presses to control these actions. I'll go as far as to say that any Legend of Zelda from here on out that opts to use a traditional control scheme in favor of the one we have here will be a heavy step back for the franchise. I'm talking about quality-wise, accessibility-wise, and sales-wise.

I definitely do NOT think sales-wise any further Zelda game would be a step back. we don't even know if sales wise what this is going to do, period. But as far as I'm concerned, "accessibility and quality wise", my sisters and brother-in-law and me had no problem playing any past Zelda game control-wise. We've fought the controls across the board in Skyward Sword. And we've had to recalibrate and frequently re-center (the game even implements it into the default tutorial explanation, so re-centering has to become a part of the game now. This is called getting LESS accessible, not more. Pointer was more accessible).

So I guess the divide will be on those with magical Wii's which magically do whatever they say all the time (trust me! 90~100%), or those with Wii's which function in the quite clearly broken and obviously you need to buy the non-BC-Wii-in-order-to-get-it-to-work-that-way sense (60~80% success rate in motion interpretation).

That's how far away I stand on other-side of the spectrum from you (and many others), and I don't think I am alone. With Skyward Sword we are witnessing before our eyes the greatest divide of Zelda fans ever.

THE GREAT ZELDA SCHISM LOL.

This isn't the greatest divide anyway. Wii U has decided the course of the next Zelda so I'm resting easy.

ASIS

THE GREAT ZELDA SCHISM LOL.

This isn't the greatest divide anyway. Wii U has decided the course of the next Zelda so I'm resting easy.

WiiU supports Wiimotes.

Plus I think aunoma said it's a shame to let those motion controls go to waste.

DUN DUN DUUUN!!

Amir0x

Banned
supports, like the Wii supports gamecube controllers

we got tons of Gamecube controller gam--

--oh

Yeah there's pretty much no way a Wii U Zelda doesn't use the primary tablet controller at center. And I cannot conceive they'd be so comically retarded as to require the use of both controllers at the same time, so tablet it is.

ASIS

--oh

Yeah there's pretty much no way a Wii U Zelda doesn't use the primary tablet controller at center. And I cannot conceive they'd be so comically retarded as to require the use of both controllers at the same time, so tablet it is.
.. Why are you guys ignoring my second statement? The first has no bearing on it's own. But when the team specifically says they don't want to let go of motion control I wouldn't rest that easy.

Well, I would, I loved the controls here, sucks to be you guys :p.

Amir0x

Banned
.. Why are you guys ignoring my second statement? The first has no bearing on it's own. But when the team specifically says they don't want to let go of motion control I wouldn't rest that easy.

Well, I would, I loved the controls here, sucks to be you guys :p.

He's going to do what is damn well demanded of him by his master Miyamoto and the realities of the market which would currently be enamored with the tablet controller, not the old school remotes anymore

that's why I remain unconcerned about what he thinks would be a shame. oh well, aunoma, it's a shame. now get to it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I hope Zelda Wii U uses a convoluted and horrible combination of DS Zelda's touch controls on the pad and Wii Remote controls for combat.

braves01

Banned

--oh

Some Four Swords Adventures type stuff with that tablet would be welcome in my house.

ASIS

He's going to do what is damn well demanded of him by his master Miyamoto and the realities of the market which would currently be enamored with the tablet controller, not the old school remotes anymore

Wanna bet that the next Zelda will support motion control in one way or another?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Anyone having a 40% success rate with controls is playing it so wrong it must be fun to watch. Amir0x please post a video and we'll give you a hint or two in exchange for a good laugh.

Amir0x

Banned
I hope Zelda Wii U uses a convoluted and horrible combination of DS Zelda's touch controls on the pad and Wii Remote controls for combat.

so the most horrible combination would be

1. Motion+ for Sword fighting
2. Tablet screen for rolling/shield bash
3. microphone for instrument (Karaoke mic is the new instrument)

Gummb

Since Amirox isn't responding to me anymore, I'll just post my full thoughts on the controls of Skyward Sword:

Controls: Too much has been said about Skyward Sword's controls. The majority of players seem to intuitively understand how to use the controller to manipulate Link's toolset, and have high levels of success. Many others seem utterly frustrated by slight inconsistencies in the controller's performance. There are even the minority who lament that the controls fail to work properly. How is one to know whether the game's fundamental premise - motion - works or not? The truly vexing answer is that you have to try it for yourself. I cannot speak for the gamers in the latter two categories who are frustrated by the controls, but I will attempt to address the issues they express.

My experience with Skyward Sword's controls were joyous. The second I first used my sword, I was flabbergasted that I could accurately chop poles of wood along specific grooves. I had fun doing the most simple things - moving my sword in circles, twisting my wrist, poking wooden signs, motioning for a semi truck to honk its horn, etc. These first moments with the sword solidified our relationship for the rest of the game. We were buddies: she was going to attack stuff, and I was going to command her with added specificity and overzealousness just to show her that I could. Pure joy.

These feelings of rapture extended to most every item in the game. The beetle, for example, became my bitch. I would send her to scout an unknown area, do a quick attack, and then she would always come back to me. The bombs became my minions. Much like pikmin, I threw them overhand and bowled them underhand, too often wasting several just because I could - I can now pluck them from the ground and store them for later. I wish I could tell you about all of my friends, but this review will remain mostly spoiler free. The point is, however, that the fidelity of the controls made me love my items, especially when they were used together.

Indeed, often my beetle and bombs would team up to cause some amazing gameplay combinations. This is true for the entire game. While there are not a huge amount of items, the ones you have are so expertly used over and over in different combinations that I become dizzy trying to think of all the ways I used them. Experimentation also becomes key. Try combining different item effects to see the result. You may be surprised.

For those dissenters, I offer you this: the controls are not nearly perfect. Often, the wiimote will lose track of my movements making my beetle dive-bomb when I was motioning to go further up. There are other items that are worse offenders, but this is what I offer. The fact remains, however, that this game exists in a set of rules that the player must figure out over time. Just like when you found out that "B" in Ocarina of Time uses your sword and not "A", so too must you find out the limits of your motion. Slowly over the course of the game, you learn and learn until you are a master of your craft and can spin dive at your enemy from above using your beetle. Motion may give the illusion of realistic movement, but this is not accurate. Approach it for what it is - a game - and learn how to use the controls.

The game also offers a tutorial, a "down d-pad" quick fix, a manual, and a hint guide for ways to use your items. Learn how to use your resources and act in your best interest to make the game more enjoyable. My experience was amazing, and I'm positive yours can be as well.

Red

Anyone having a 40% success rate with controls is playing it so wrong it must be fun to watch. Amir0x please post a video and we'll give you a hint or two in exchange for a good laugh.
60% of the time, they work every time.

I've had no problems.

EatChildren

4. Wii Fit board for movement.

Estival

I'm having trouble with something so stupid I'm embarrassed to even ask it, but I can't figure it out at all. How do you call the bird? I can't leave the Lumpy Pumpkin, I keep running off the edge of the island and pressing the down button on the D-pad, I've tried mashing it and holding it down, but Link just keeps falling and it puts me back on the island after about 5 seconds. What am I missing here?

Edit: And on standard view, the down button doesn't have a bird or anything on it when diving off the island. Just goes blank.

I hope they do this, neogaf reactions, and your in particular, would be worth it. I'd be willing to sacrifica a Zelda title for that level of entertainment.

Top Bottom