• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Well I'm taking a break for Thanksgiving weekend, I'll probably start up with Dungeon 4 on Sunday night. I'm really resisting passing "judgement" on the game so far, but I don't see how it could radically change my perceptions of the overall game.
Why don't you just write whatever you want and if it later changes you let people know... It's just another forum post, not some print review you can't go back to and fix without trouble for the publication... I wrote what I thought of the demo, what I thought of the demo after spending more time with it, what I thought of the game's beginning, and what I thought of it up to dungeon 4 as I went... And I'll probably write more once I'm done with it... Why not? If you hate it you hate a good chunk of the game, if you love it you love a good chunk of the game, it's not like you've played it for 5 minutes...

Link Man

Banned
Almost done with Dungeon 3, and I think I would have had more trouble with the
dial puzzle
if Fi wouldn't have said anything. Just brilliant puzzle design.

Oh, and fighting
Beamos
is a joy.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
The main reward for nearly every single sidequest in the game is gratitude crystals, and only by completing every single sidequest can you make him human, so yes it is fairly lengthy.

That's pretty awesome.

I'm definitely taking my time with Skyward Sword - I'll have more free time though during the Christmas break - Right now Uni's been busy lol.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The main reward for nearly every single sidequest in the game is gratitude crystals, and only by completing every single sidequest can you make him human, so yes it is fairly lengthy.
I assume you still have to start from scratch skyloft sidequests on hero mode?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
and what is your perception of the overall game so far?

Best 3D Zelda but with a large caveat. In short, Twilight Princess and Wind Waker could have taken that title if it wasn't for their extremely obvious deficiencies. Yeah, that's kind of like saying "X is better then Y, but if Y was better then Y would be better then X" but there are very specific and distinct sections of TP and WW that, if improved, I think would push them both over SS. SS doesn't have any really gaping flaws so far, just small annoying issues. Its more that the overall game isn't doing as much for me as the other two.

But yes, so far its better then Ocarina. That's just my impressions up to the fourth dungeon.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I kind of have a theory about Moldarach
and why you fight it twice.

Unlike the other bosses, it has nothing to do with the main villains, it's actually just a scorpion that's lived for 1000 years...it's just living in an abandoned mining facility with its kids, and understandably attacks Link considering he's been killing all of its babies and disturbing its home.

I think the second Moldarach is its husband wanting to avenge its dead wife that you killed. :(

Dynamic3

I'm having a weird issue where the Wiimote cursor seems to be inaccurate (in the menus as such), I can tell because for example I have to point my Wiimote way down to move the cursor, to the point where it's pointed nowhere near the TV; and I fear it's making my sword movements imprecise. It's odd because if I pull up the Wii overlay menu using the home key, the cursor is perfectly accurate, it's only inaccurate in-game.

It's almost as if there is some internal setting in SS that dramatically lowers the sensitivity, forcing me to constantly re-center the cursor using the down button.

Branduil

I'm having a weird issue where the Wiimote cursor seems to be inaccurate (in the menus as such), I can tell because for example I have to point my Wiimote way down to move the cursor, to the point where it's pointed nowhere near the TV; and I fear it's making my sword movements imprecise. It's odd because if I pull up the Wii overlay menu using the home key, the cursor is perfectly accurate, it's only inaccurate in-game.

It's almost as if there is some internal setting in SS that dramatically lowers the sensitivity, forcing me to constantly re-center the cursor using the down button.

Try recalibrating in the gear menu.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm almost done, I guess, but I think this'll be the first console Zelda I won't bother replaying -
hero mode
or not. This would be the most infuriating game ever to replay with the design decisions made here hand-holding wise and non-stop text wise (why the FUCK do I need to keep reading your completely lame commentary on how SUPER HAPPY I must have made someone in order to make five whole Gratitude Crystals). And by hour 35, I am so done with motion controls once again. This game perfectly illustrates why I've never been satisfied with the dynamic - I don't dream of dressing up in green tights and swinging a sword around, and the game doesn't even do a particularly fine job of that anyway. I'm constantly having to recalibrate, the game does a piss poor job of doing it on the fly and otherwise the controls are basically garbage as far as I'm concerned. Thrusting is particularly frustrating - the success rate on a thrust versus, say, a swipe has to be so low it's astounding. I can thrust so hard the fucking controller practically goes through the TV, and there's STILL a super high failure rate. When I'm aiming, I'm non-stop having to re-center the goddamn cursor. There's no real camera control, so Z center or look is the only option... and so navigating in the "larger" sense is a complete fucking chore. And I refuse to use dowsing, which is the most needlessly gimmicky motion addition since, well, flapping the bird to fly - it's just adding an additional action to something that was previously streamlined and nobody complained about. Why? I've played on my Wii, my brother-in-law's Wii, my sister's Wii, I've had my brother-in-law play it, my sister play it, my friend Glenn play it... none of them can consistently get the motions to work all the time. There's always a failure rate in how the controls interpret your swing, and so it's often simply doing the wrong thing or begging to be recalibrated.

I guess your mileage may vary oh how forgiving you are in such a thing, but to me they've taken what was fairly great Zelda controls and turned them into a muddle of inconsistent actions that are neither necessary for better gameplay or put into much impressive practical use (so it's not worth the trouble, as far as i'm concerned). And don't get me started on the horrific bomb rolling shit. I thought Wii Bowling had this settled, apparently Nintendo is still going back in time and relearning how to make motion controls.

I am now ready for Wii U Zelda, content with the knowledge there's no way they can saddle the next Zelda with motion+ sword fighting. And if they do, I think it'll be the first Zelda I sit out.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Well, the source is TVtropes, so maybe it was just referring to the
Shipyard

Bah, don't listen to TvTropes.

They tried to convince me in the Fridge Logic page that Batreaux was a pedophile. Dammit TvTropes. :(

ASIS

I'm almost done, I guess, but I think this'll be the first console Zelda I won't bother replaying -
hero mode
or not. This would be the most infuriating game ever to replay with the design decisions made here hand-holding wise and non-stop text wise (why the FUCK do I need to keep reading your completely lame commentary on how SUPER HAPPY I must have made someone in order to make five whole Gratitude Crystals). And by hour 35, I am so done with motion controls once again. This game perfectly illustrates why I've never been satisfied with the dynamic - I don't dream of dressing up in green tights and swinging a sword around, and the game doesn't even do a particularly fine job of that anyway. I'm constantly having to recalibrate, the game does a piss poor job of doing it on the fly and otherwise the controls are basically garbage as far as I'm concerned. Thrusting is particularly frustrating - the success rate on a thrust versus, say, a swipe has to be so low it's astounding. I can thrust so hard the fucking controller practically goes through the TV, and there's STILL a super high failure rate. When I'm aiming, I'm non-stop having to re-center the goddamn cursor. There's no real camera control, so Z center or look is the only option... and so navigating in the "larger" sense is a complete fucking chore. And I refuse to use dowsing, which is the most needlessly gimmicky motion addition since, well, flapping the bird to fly - it's just adding an additional action to something that was previously streamlined and nobody complained about. Why? I've played on my Wii, my brother-in-law's Wii, my sister's Wii, I've had my brother-in-law play it, my sister play it, my friend Glenn play it... none of them can consistently get the motions to work all the time. There's always a failure rate in how the controls interpret your swing, and so it's often simply doing the wrong thing or begging to be recalibrated.

I guess your mileage may vary oh how forgiving you are in such a thing, but to me they've taken what was fairly great Zelda controls and turned them into a muddle of inconsistent actions that are neither necessary for better gameplay or put into much impressive practical use (so it's not worth the trouble, as far as i'm concerned). And don't get me started on the horrific bomb rolling shit. I thought Wii Bowling had this settled, apparently Nintendo is still going back in time and relearning how to make motion controls.

I am now ready for Wii U Zelda, content with the knowledge there's no way they can saddle the next Zelda with motion+ sword fighting. And if they do, I think it'll be the first Zelda I sit out.
LOL I knew from the beginning you would have the biggest backlash. Don't know, I'm very happy with the controls in the game.

Amir0x

Banned
LOL I knew from the beginning you would have the biggest backlash. Don't know, I'm very happy with the controls in the game.

It's not a 'backlash', this is my first time playing the game in full. It's the first impression of the actual final product. If I initially thought the final game was good and then in a few months thought it crap, that is a backlash.

This is just water-in-face adjustment to the reality of final product versus months of B.S. PR and a fairly deceptive demo.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Eh, I'm still calling it that.

Oh it's great, I'm just calling out Amir0x on it because he endlessly defended this game before it came out. Now look at this.

Like the post above, I have no problem with motion controls whatsoever. You may prefer traditional controls, I can understand, and they don't work flawlessly 100% of the time, but that's normal when you swing around the controller constantly. Re-calibration WILL be required and after that it goes back to working like it was supposed to.

So, yeah, no problem with that.

I'm sorry you (and your family) couldn't get the controls to work and / or didn't enjoy them, but just to point out where I think your comments are teetering towards hyperbole:

hero mode
or not. This would be the most infuriating game ever to replay with the design decisions made here hand-holding wise and non-stop text wise (why the FUCK do I need to keep reading your completely lame commentary on how SUPER HAPPY I must have made someone in order to make five whole Gratitude Crystals). And by hour 35, I'm am so done with motion controls once again. This game perfectly illustrates why I've never been satisfied with the dynamic - I don't dream of dressing up in green tights and swinging a sword around, and the game doesn't even do a particularly fine job of that anyway. I'm constantly having to recalibrate, the game does a piss poor job of doing it on the fly and otherwise the controls are basically garbage as far as I'm concerned. Thrusting is particularly frustrating - the success rate on a thrust versus, say, a swipe has to be so low it's astounding. I can thrust so hard the fucking controller practically goes through the TV, and there's STILL a super high failure rate. When I'm aiming, I'm non-stop having to re-center the goddamn cursor. There's no real camera control, so Z center or look is the only option... and so navigating in the "larger" sense is a complete fucking chore. And I refuse to use dowsing, which is the most needlessly gimmicky motion addition since, well, flapping the bird to fly - it's just adding an additional action to something that was previously streamlined and nobody complained about. Why? I've played on my Wii, my brother-in-law's Wii, my sister's Wii, I've had my brother-in-law play it, my sister play it, my friend Glenn play it... none of them can consistently get the motions to work all the time. There's always a failure rate in how the controls interpret your swing, and so it's often simply doing the wrong thing or begging to be recalibrated.

I mean, was it that bad for you?

I am genuinely disappointed for you btw, you sounded really excited about this like you were for Super Mario Galaxy

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I like the motion controls, mostly for items though. I have no problem rolling bombs, using the recalibrating feature (or avoiding having to use it because I understand how the aiming works), or any of the other motion control gimmicks for items. 99% of the time I'd go as far as to say I loved it.

Sword fighting is mixed. On one hand when it work I think it's great, mostly when having heavy 1-on-1 duals with bosses or stronger enemies. I actually enjoy having to aim for the weak spots, swinging in particular directions, and stuff like that. I get a kick out of it.

But there's two main issues I have with the motion control sword fighting; first is the thrust which is functionally bullshit due to the poor recognition and response time. There's no debate here; swings are responsive, thrusting is not. There is a blatantly obvious delay in control recognition there and thus it should never have been tethered to motion.

The second is what almost seems like over sensitivity to the swinging, and by this I mean the difficulty of changing stance without it registering a swing. I think back to something like Red Steel 2, of all things, and how easy it was to rapidly aim, shoot, turn and swing in any direction, with tight response and accurate controls. When I'm holding my sword to Link's left, and want to move it to Link's right quicky, 99% of the time it will register an attack, and I'm left having to change stance exactly how the game wants me to and at the game's chosen pace to avoid unwanted swing recognition. Is it a deal breaker? Not at all, but it does remove some feeling of precision and control of the sword fighting that I'd prefer.

Otherwise no issues on the control front, except the lack of camera control, but I've gotten pretty used to re-centring with the Z target since Twilight Princess.

ASIS

It's not a 'backlash', this is my first time playing the game in full. It's the first impression of the actual final product. If I initially thought the final game was good and then in a few months thought it crap, that is a backlash.

This is just water-in-face adjustment to the reality of final product versus months of B.S. PR and a fairly deceptive demo.

You know what I mean. But anyway, I'm still interested to hear what you think about the game outside of the controls. And how far are you in the game so far?

Sinthetic

Sometimes it reminds me of the theme from the old Superman movies.

Haha! I can see what you all mean with these "sound-a-likes". To me it just reminds me of the beautiful pieces in Ghibli movies, quite a lot of the game actually has that feel to it. I really love Zelda and Ghibli, so relating them can do no harm at all.

I don't actually think my controls have needed re-calibrating once in the 12 hours I've played. I've sat in front of the TV, diagonal to it 2M away, in the corner of the room, not facing the sensor bar, nothing has thrown it out of whack for me.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I like the motion controls, mostly for items though. I have no problem rolling bombs, using the recalibrating feature (or avoiding having to use it because I understand how the aiming works), or any of the other motion control gimmicks for items. 99% of the time I'd go as far as to say I loved it.

Sword fighting is mixed. On one hand when it work I think it's great, mostly when having heavy 1-on-1 duals with bosses or stronger enemies. I actually enjoy having to aim for the weak spots, swinging in particular directions, and stuff like that. I get a kick out of it.

But there's two main issues I have with the motion control sword fighting; first is the thrust which is functionally bullshit due to the poor recognition and response time. There's no debate here; swings are responsive, thrusting is not. There is a blatantly obvious delay in control recognition there and thus it should never have been tethered to motion.

The second is what almost seems like over sensitivity to the swinging, and by this I mean the difficulty of changing stance without it registering a swing. I think back to something like Red Steel 2, of all things, and how easy it was to rapidly aim, shoot, turn and swing in any direction, with tight response and accurate controls. When I'm holding my sword to Link's left, and want to move it to Link's right quicky, 99% of the time it will register an attack, and I'm left having to change stance exactly how the game wants me to and at the game's chosen pace to avoid unwanted swing recognition. Is it a deal breaker? Not at all, but it does remove some feeling of precision and control of the sword fighting that I'd prefer.

Otherwise no issues on the control front, except the lack of camera control, but I've gotten pretty used to re-centring with the Z target since Twilight Princess.
This is pretty much my experience, although I haven't found myself needing to thrust much. But yeah, I'm still playing around with the right tempo to move the sword at to register only the slashes I want.

The Lamp

The controls work fine for me most of the time. I sometimes have trouble during combat because I'm still not quite sure which directions of sword swinging work at which appropriate times, and I've had some trouble in combat for that, but MAN do I love the new turn combat has taken. So much more strategic, and it is so much easier to die. Also, I did actually have trouble in the first dungeon lol but it was late and I just got done doing all sorts of exams and driving from out of town so I might have just been exhausted. As people said, the first dungeon is pretty bread-and-butter, but it's still entertaining and I like the atmosphere.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm sorry you (and your family) couldn't get the controls to work and / or didn't enjoy them, but just to point out where I think your comments are teetering towards hyperbole:

I mean, was it that bad for you?

I am genuinely disappointed for you btw, you sounded really excited about this like you were for Super Mario Galaxy

Yes, it was exactly that bad for me, which is why I wrote it. Every opportunity the game has to impress has been basically ruined by three things

1. Hand-holding
2. Excessive/Poor Implementation of Motion Controls
3. Fetch Quests

This game is like a fountain of the worst Nintendo habits, mixed with some of the best, but to me it FEELS far worse because now they've gone and undermined Zelda's control scheme, which was already top-of-the-class, for something that is unreliable at best and gimmicky and a straight up failure at worst. Even the most ardent defender of Skyward Sword admits to occasionally having to recalibrate or having motions fail. Is this a worthy trade off to controls which ALWAYS worked and never had to recalibrate (or re-center) and if when supplemented with BASIC pointer aiming is the best of both worlds?

To me, if they ever do another Zelda with motion controls, it's...

1. Motion+ for puzzles and MAYBE some tools (The Beetle controls great)
2. Pointer for aiming
3. Back to buttons for all combat

Also, minus fetch quests entirely.

Eh, I'm still calling it that. But again, if the clear and obvious "oh shit we're out of time" deficiencies of WW or TP were fixed they'd take the title handily.

Yeah, I think I'm where you are now too and it's at least the best Zelda since Majora's Mask for me.

I can take or leave the accelerometer Motion+ controls, i.e. sword swinging. It makes some enemies very fun and some enemies not so fun, so it's kind of a wash with regular controls. I don't really care which way they go with the regard in the next game, although optimally I guess it would be motion-controlled swinging with no responsiveness issues at all, if that's even possible.

But I love everything that's using the gyroscopic controls, like the beetle. It would be a downgrade to have the items controlled traditionally in future games.

I'm loving the mini-dungeon design of the surface. Loving loving loving. Combined with the superlative dungeon designs themselves, I think SS is getting a fundamental part of Zelda (to me) more correct than any other Zelda since LTTP.

Caelus

I'm scared.

I think I'm the only one whose controls work perfectly.

All my slashes register as slashes, my thrusts as thrusts, my movements as movements. I never had to recenter my cursor and I never had to recalibrate motion plus except when starting up the game.

It was so perfect it made playing the game unbelievably enjoyable.

ivysaur12

Banned

This is easily the most frustrating thing about the controls. I'm having zero issues with stabbing, but this is infuriating.

ASIS

Since the spoiler thread is pretty much dead I guess I'll post my impressions here.

-Motion controls: Okay, here's the deal. I love motion controls, I was sold day one and I'm very happy with the controls in this game. BUT they do take time to get used to and no matter what the success rate maybe, it's still not 100% like traditional controls are. That means that Motion controls still have a long way to go, SS may have tapped into the potential, but it didn't fully realize it. That's why it pains me to see the WiiU, I really want them to focus and improve the motion controls, I really think they are the superior method, but they are still undercooked.

-The story: Very strange seeing a full fledged story with complex characters in a Zelda game. The cinematic feel were great,and the twists were unexpected. I will say this though, I don't want the Zelda franchise to go this direction. It was great here because it's an origin story, but I hope they fall back a bit and return to the "fairytale" like stories. After all, that's how legends are supposed to be told :p.

-Gameplay: Loved all the items, loved all the dungeons, the overworld, the sidequest, etc.
But didn't like the three imprisoned fights. That's really the only "padding" complain I can truly relate to. Granted, none of them were expected, the first two were very enjoyable actually, but the third was really unnecessary.
Other than that. I really can't relate to any of the "padding" complaints, though I still need time to replay the game and see how it holds up.

- Music: Again, don't understand why anyone is disappointed here, absolutely stunning pieces and very, very appropriate.
The harp though, was unnecessary, I knew from the minute I saw it that it would only serve as a plot device, but.. they could have done more with it I think.

- Graphics: My TV was very crappy, so I can't really comment. But did anyone have framerate drops during the game and the credits? I really want to know this.

- Overall: One of the best experiences this generation and maybe even of all time, but does it deserve a 10/10? No. IMO the game isn't revolutionary enough to flip the entire industry up side down (like OOT did). It's just an incredible game, and there's nothing wrong with that. Completely unique, creative puzzles, outstanding boss fights, and there was a lot to do IMO (took me 50 hours to beat).. I would say SS was on par with my expectations. Though honestly, I think it will gain more respect with time.

Sinthetic

I'm scared.

I think I'm the only one whose controls work perfectly.

All my slashes register as slashes, my thrusts as thrusts, my movements as movements. I never had to recenter my cursor and I never had to recalibrate motion plus except when starting up the game.

It was so perfect it made playing the game unbelievably enjoyable.

Don't be scared, mine work near perfectly and I'm sure many others in here have the same degree of enjoyment from them.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I never had to recenter my cursor and I never had to recalibrate motion plus except when starting up the game.

I'm good with these two as well, except calibration, but I know why I need to calibrate, know how to avoid it, and thus have no problem when I need to. It's a tap of the d-pad and I know I could have avoided it, thus I have no problem doing it.

Caelus

Don't be scared, mine work near perfectly and I'm sure many others in here have the same degree of enjoyment from them.

I'm scared that mine work completely perfectly, the way the developers wanted them to be. I NEVER HAD ANY TROUBLE AT ALL, and that SCARES me. It's like the complete opposite of Amirox's situation. I wonder if my M+ works like magic or something, or I'm doing something right that I don't know...

Branduil

Zelda games are not the only things wholly predictable, apparently.
I have no idea what you're talking about.

I think the thing about motion controls is that they are inherently different than pressing a button. I wouldn't expect to be able to do a flying kick in real life but I can press a button to do one very easily. The sword controls in SS remove that abstraction to some degree. Not that it's a realistic sword simulator or anything. And it's certainly not perfectly implemented, particularly for the thrust. But I do think one part of the problem is that we're not as good at swinging an imaginary sword as we like to think we are. There have definitely been times where I initially thought I was swinging horizontally but when I actually look at it, my arm is going wildly diagonal. When that happens it's not the game's fault, it can't psychically know what I actually wanted to do. The nature of motion controls is you actually have to do a physical action that corresponds to the action you want to do, and that's not always something that's easy to do without practice.

Top Bottom