• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
4th dungeon is easily one of the best Zelda dungeons ever, imo.

People who played Twilight Princess - which I fucking loved - were always saying that about the Sky Dungeon, which actually was a disappointment to me relatively speaking. Not so with 4th dungeon. People were exactly right here.

For TP the Arbiter's Grounds and Snowpeak are definitely my stand out, some of the best in the series.

I'm about to go into the 5th here and the 4th has definitely been the best as well up to this point.

Almost done with the game, and I think I had to use the recalibrate menu option once (because I wasn't paying attention at start up and accidentally touched the controller slightly during the start up calibration) since it does such a good job recalibrating the sword on its own.

Motion+ aiming really grew on me too. At the beginning of the game the cursor felt super sluggish and weird, after some time to practice I have no problem moving it around or aiming it right where I want to.

As for thrusts, I don't know what's up with other people but not once has my thrust ever registered as anything but a thrust.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The idea behind the 7th Dungeon is one of the most brilliant level design idea in recent memory, but it has the drawback of potentially making this dungeon quite short and easy.

But the puzzles inside the dungeon are also quite good. Definitely one of my favourite dungeons. The Lanayru Area is also my favourite puzzle-wise. Just brilliant. (Especially the dungeons in it.)

The idea behind the 7th Dungeon is one of the most brilliant level design idea in recent memory, but it has the drawback of potentially making this dungeon quite short and easy.

But the puzzles inside the dungeon are also quite good. Definitely one of my favourite dungeons. The Lanayru Area is also my favourite puzzle-wise. Just brilliant. (Especially the dungeons in it.)

There were multiple moments in that dungeon that made me grin like crazy.

ASIS

I got 2 50x2 pumpkins, so that helped. But it's seriously my favourite mini-game. (Took me a couple of tries, but I got that 900 points in less than 30 minutes.)

Nah, my favorite mini game is the tricky coaster. You don't do much but it's just so fun.

As well as fun fun island, now THAT was an awesome mini game.

Caelus

If it weren't for the internet I'd love this game 100%, but whenever I encounter something I'm perfectly fine with but I'm sure not fine with others I go "man, people wouldn't like this" and I tend to enjoy it a little less, even though I don't want to.

I have only myself to blame, though. I love this game.

ESPECIALLY
the flooded faron woods, I wanted to come here and share my excitement with everyone, only to find that I'm the only one who enjoyed that section. At least I'm not the only one who enjoyed the silent realm or the key fetch quest for the earth temple.
I enjoyed it,
though the swimming controls still bug me

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I.E. to reach "Snow Peak" the user had to navigate a blizzard and snowboard its way to the Mansion. That felt really different to the things you do in a dungeon. So some people might prefer the old way, what we have in Skyward has some pros but some cons also.
There are gameplay changes you could sort of liken to the snowboarding in that one part of TP all over SS, they didn't sacrifice that sort of ideas for this approach.

Papercuts

The thrust works much more successfully when I do it slowly, which is pretty much completely against the way I want to do it given the precision and timing I've always needed the move in combat. I lost about 6 hearts on a spider last night in the 4th dungeon that was extremely close to a wall, I thrusted in the short time it wasn't bouncing off the wall and spinning, nothing came out. Next pass, I did it again, link didn't thrust until I pulled back the controller, which was too late and then thrusted the wrong end of the spider into me, which then had it hit off the wall at an odd angle back into me right as I got up.

The controls work fine for me most of the time, but in a scenario above it quickly pisses you off when something actually goes wrong.

Amir0x

Banned
also i'm sorry but i can't believe Link left the girl BEHIND with Batreaux.
Even if he wasn't a monster I would have taken her with me the first time!

"oh, so the weird creepy adult who lives under the island will spend the night with you? Says he'll bring you back in the morning? Sure, I trust him!"

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh also, and though I really have myself to blame here, Skyward Sword has taught me that Nintendo's marketing department are as trustworthy as BioWare's, and thus I will be on an automated blackout outside of initial reveals for all of their major games. Never again Nintendo. Never again.

ASIS

Are people lacking that much confidence in their own points of view that this happens? I guess I can't relate to that phenomenon. For me, even if I LOVE a game, I vastly prefer to read comments by people who hate it. Because those are the only interesting comments to me, not the ones who are just nodding their heads in lazy self-congratulatory agreement. I mean it's nice to relate to people to when you share common likes/dislikes... but eh.

That's the thing. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one enjoying aspects of the game here. Everyone either hates it, or doesn't like it as much as I do.

It sucks, and though it's really not changing my opinion, I want to discuss the game rather than bitching about it from time to time you know?

I'm not saying you don't have the right to bitch about it, but I'm really disappointed for everyone not being able to enjoy the game. And wish there were more people who are more fond of it just so we can have a proper discussion.

Danielsan

Started the game today, I'm not far and I'm digging it so far. However, the camera is god awful. I seriously hate it with a passion. Having to hammer the Z button constantly because the camera is ass is not a good solution Nintendo.

Caelus

Started the game today, I'm not far and I'm digging it so far. However, the camera is god awful. I seriously hate it with a passion. Having to hammer the Z button constantly because the camera is ass is not a good solution Nintendo.

I agree. They should have made left and right on the d-pad horizontal camera control like SMG, and kept the harp and Fi to up and down. It would have been so simple.

Papercuts

Oh also, and though I really have myself to blame here, Skyward Sword has taught me that Nintendo's marketing department are as trustworthy as BioWare's, and thus I will be on an automated blackout outside of initial reveals for all of their major games. Never again Nintendo. Never again.

Yeah, they did alright with showing pretty much nothing until the game was about to come out, then churned a shitload of trailers out. I avoided most of them but still saw a shockingly large amount just from a few videos.

Same thing happened with Uncharted 3 earlier, I avoided all the footage past the reveal, but the screenshots and gifs posted around were the biggest standout moments in the game. Wtf.

Amir0x

Banned
That's the thing. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one enjoying aspects of the game here. Everyone either hates it, or doesn't like it as much as I do.

It sucks, and though it's really not changing my opinion, I want to discuss the game rather than bitching about it from time to time you know?

I'm not saying you don't have the right to bitch about it, but I'm really disappointed for everyone not being able to enjoy the game. And wish there were more people who are more fond of it just so we can have a proper discussion.

i've enjoyed aspects of it. most people, even those who are complaining, still like the game.

nobody is losing sleep over their purchase I hope :p

also i'm sorry but i can't believe Link left the girl BEHIND with Batreaux.
Even if he wasn't a monster I would have taken her with me the first time!

"oh, so the weird creepy adult who lives under the island will spend the night with you? Says he'll bring you back in the morning? Sure, I trust him!"

Why wouldn't you trust him. He seems like a civilized and trust worthy citizen
demon

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I agree. They should have made left and right on the d-pad horizontal camera control like SMG, and kept the harp and Fi to up and down. It would have been so simple.
There's camera control in SMG? Mind, blown...

Danielsan

I haven't gone past Skyloft yet so I didn't know they were going to map left and right on the d-pad, so I was extra baffled that those two buttons did not move the camera. Such a bad design decision.

[Nintex]

Just finished dungeon number 4 and wow, that was an awesome dungeon. Nearly perfect in every way, in fact I fell in love with this game ever since the end of the first dungeon I think. But I agree with EatChildren and Amir0x as well. This game also falls into some of the traps that the handheld Zelda's suffered from. My original analysis still stands, this is not a coherent massive Zelda adventure but more like a whole bunch of different gameplay segments put in a sequence.

I'm still not feeling much of a connection to the world. The style of the third and fourth dungeon is just too different to be considered 'part of the same world'. They really just threw every idea they had in this game, for better for worse. Might had something to do with the development cycle. Sometimes less is more and it seems that the designers of Skyward Sword totally forgot about that rule. In any case it's a truely unique game and that can't be said of everything released these days. Sometimes it feels like it does right what Twillight Princess did wrong but wrong what Twilight Princess did right.

Davey Cakes

I will agree with this in a way. It's not always bad, but it's not always great either.

Is there something in the game that uses left and right on the d-pad? If not then I don't see why those couldn't be used for camera movement.

Also, to chime in on Motion+ aiming, it's quite good. I only have the slingshot, but while the idea of replacing the IR pointer with a motion-based one seemed odd at first, it actually lends itself to a more stable cursor in my experience.

Favorite innovation in the entire Zelda series is giving Link more and more freedom to be an absolute asshole to everyone he knows.

Pipit: Mom, you clearly have no control over spending. Our house is covered in filth because you're too lazy to clean. We need money so you can buy food and I can keep going to school and have a career. PLEASE. Stop paying someone money to clean our house. Also the way you're totally unfazed by this means you're probably drunk as hell.

Pipit: Oh God, Link. I... I didn't want you to overhear that. I have to go.

Link: *nods, runs inside house to get FUCKIN PAID before mentally reminding himself that 'yo pipit your mom paid me last night for a dirty job well done' is no longer on the tables*

So, umm..where the hell is the pumpkin mini-game everyone is talking about? I'd say I'm close to the end of the game, have spent hrs exploring the sky and doing side-quests, yet I havent encountered it. I swear some things in this game are so hard to discover/come across, if it wasnt for the internet I wouldnt even know about them.

Also, skyloft is the most confusing town I've ever seen in a videogame. Doesnt help every fucking house looks the same, no differentiation, I stil get lost and need to set beacons on the map to get from point A to point B or Ill end up going in circles.

Amir0x

Banned
Why wouldn't you trust him. He seems like a civilized and trust worthy citizen
demon

seriously even
if he was a regular person I would have been like "OK PLAYTIME IS OVER FUCK YOU SERIOUSLY "THE SCREAMING GAME?"

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
Also, skyloft is the most confusing town I'v ever seen in a videogame.

just + your map, 'cause each home is labeled with who is in it. And once you enter a house, it's always labeled with the person who lives in it name if you just walk up to the door

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Favorite innovation in the entire Zelda series is giving Link more and more freedom to be an absolute asshole to everyone he knows.

Pipit: Mom, you clearly have no control over spending. Our house is covered in filth because you're too lazy to clean. We need money so you can buy food and I can keep going to school and have a career. PLEASE. Stop paying someone money to clean our house. Also the way you're totally unfazed by this means you're probably drunk as hell.

Link: *nods, runs inside house to get FUCKIN PAID before mentally reminding himself that 'yo pipit your mom paid me last night for a dirty job well done' is no longer on the tables*

What about [sidequest spoilers]
seducing Peatrice even though he has a clear interest in Zelda? Or giving Cawlin's love letter to a ghost hand to use as toilet paper?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

My favourite is
giving the kid's love letter to the toilet ghost for what you assume will be to whip ghost ass, unintentionally causing a love affair between the two, the ghost fawning over the kid every night, causing his every sleep to be filled with nightmares.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
seriously even
if he was a regular person I would have been like "OK PLAYTIME IS OVER FUCK YOU SERIOUSLY "THE SCREAMING GAME?"
"Yeah, screaming game. Sure, buddy."
What's even worse is
her mom saying "oh, it's alright as long as she's with an adult". No, lady, it's not alright.

So, umm..where the hell is the pumpkin mini-game everyone is talking about? I'd say I'm close to the end of the game, have spent hrs exploring the sky and doing sie-quests, yet I havent encountered it. I swear some thing in this game are so hard to discover/come across, if it wasnt for the internet I wouldnt even know about them.

I think you need to complete a character's sidequest and you definitely need to have a certain item.

Also, skyloft is the most confusing town I'v ever seen in a videogame. Doesnt help every fucking house looks the same, no differentiation, I stil get lost and need to set beacons on the map to get from point A to point B or Ill end up going in circles.

You... you need to set beacons to get around town?

Amir0x

Banned
Skyrim??? whats your take on the combat system ???from what i've it looks atrocious...

it's not going to be setting any impressive world records in that department. It's typical hacky-slashy Elder Scrolls style, but with a better implemented magic system and feasible archery class. But its scale improvement comes in dungeon design, which is far better than its immediate predecessor and adds immensely to the feeling of individuality the game has.

Basically everyone needs to take pointers from Dark Souls/Demon souls.

My favourite is
giving the kid's love letter to the toilet ghost for what you assume will be to whip ghost ass, unintentionally causing a love affair between the two, the ghost fawning over the kid every night, causing his every sleep to be filled with nightmares.

That cry made the whole goddamned thing worth it. And also because that option means Karane and Pipit won't get together, because once again screw you Pipit. Also fuck you Fledge, because I helped you out and then you pull shit like standing there with the pumpkin for like 5 seconds during the Pumpkin Pull.

What about [sidequest spoilers]
seducing Peatrice even though he has a clear interest in Zelda? Or giving Cawlin's love letter to a ghost hand to use as toilet paper?

NO ONE CAN DENY OUR LOVE

Amir0x

Banned
"Yeah, screaming game. Sure, buddy."
What's even worse is
her mom saying "oh, it's alright as long as she's with an adult". No, lady, it's not alright.

Haha I know. I was like "what what what!?"

What also made me LOL is how the father just doesn't give a shit. He's all
"Yo, my wife is such a paranoid mess. Find the girl to shut her the fuck up please." Later when you find him again, he's basically "thank god you found her for my wife."

Garcia

So far one my favorite enemy has to be the
Red Goblin
. Feels soooo good to unleash dozens of slashes on him every time! :D.

The post-3rd.dungeon story sequence was absolutely EPIC. I'm definitely liking this Zelda (character) a lot.

Favorite song (and which I keep humming sometimes) is the 3rd. Dungeon's background music. Still waiting to see what Kondo and Co. came up with, and I'm sooo digging the transitions during boss battles, they're so refreshing <3.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Haha I know. I was like "what what what!?"

What also made me LOL is how the father just doesn't give a shit. He's all
"Yo, my wife is such a paranoid mess. Find the girl to shut her the fuck up please." Later when you find him again, he's basically "thank god you found her for my wife."
Also,
no gratitude crystals from him. He really doesn't give a shit.

Also,
no gratitude crystals from him. He really doesn't give a shit.

I loved that because I just helped the girl with her bird and her brother and they were both super grateful and then he walks up and is all "Oh yeah good job making sure my daughter wasn't kidnapped I guess DOOT DE DOO DOO"

So I'm in the 5th dungeon now ... I think, I admit I have a lot of trouble figuring out what is or isn't a dungeon in this game. :(

I loved the boss of the Ancient Cystern, ANCIENT AUTOMATION KOLOKTOS!!!
I swear, after beating him I still goofed around with his swords for at least a minute or two, feeling really sad about the fact that I couldn't bring one with me. :(

That entire fight was really ace though, beating the crap out of him with his own damn weapons must be one of the most satisfying experiences I've had during a boss fight in any game.

After that I was prepared to have a real hard time with the 2nd silent realm, because I've heard people on GAF say it was a lot trickier (?) than the first one ..but, I pretty much got it in one attempt. (two if you count my short lived experiment to see what the quicksand would do in the silent realm.. yeah.)

I'm in the Sandship now, which is.. dungeon 5? Though I didn't enter before spending almost all my money to upgrade my goddess shield to level 3, getting my last adventure pouch and doing something else that apparently wasn't important enough to remember.

I'm enjoying the game a lot right now though, I really like how the treasure hunting & side quests are a fun and easy stress relief to take your mind off of the intensity of some of the dungeons and bosses.

On a side note, I think I've found an easy way to get almost any resource in the game right now, so once I make all my money back I feel a second serving of upgrades coming my way.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I loved that because I just helped the girl with her bird and her brother and they were both super grateful and then he walks up and is all "Oh yeah good job making sure my daughter wasn't kidnapped I guess DOOT DE DOO DOO"
Haha, yes!

Nicktendo86

Just also finished the forth dungeon last night and loved every minute, definitely my highlight so far. Also had my first major issue with the controls, the sword calibration went waaaaay off a few times but I know it was because I was flailing like a madman. Other than that issue I had last night I have found the controls to be flawless and actually feel a little disappointed at the idea of possibly going back to traditional controls with WiiU.

Tuck

I'm almost done, I guess, but I think this'll be the first console Zelda I won't bother replaying -
hero mode
or not. This would be the most infuriating game ever to replay with the design decisions made here hand-holding wise and non-stop text wise (why the FUCK do I need to keep reading your completely lame commentary on how SUPER HAPPY I must have made someone in order to make five whole Gratitude Crystals). And by hour 35, I am so done with motion controls once again. This game perfectly illustrates why I've never been satisfied with the dynamic - I don't dream of dressing up in green tights and swinging a sword around, and the game doesn't even do a particularly fine job of that anyway. I'm constantly having to recalibrate, the game does a piss poor job of doing it on the fly and otherwise the controls are basically garbage as far as I'm concerned. Thrusting is particularly frustrating - the success rate on a thrust versus, say, a swipe has to be so low it's astounding. I can thrust so hard the fucking controller practically goes through the TV, and there's STILL a super high failure rate. When I'm aiming, I'm non-stop having to re-center the goddamn cursor. There's no real camera control, so Z center or look is the only option... and so navigating in the "larger" sense is a complete fucking chore. And I refuse to use dowsing, which is the most needlessly gimmicky motion addition since, well, flapping the bird to fly - it's just adding an additional action to something that was previously streamlined and nobody complained about. Why? I've played on my Wii, my brother-in-law's Wii, my sister's Wii, I've had my brother-in-law play it, my sister play it, my friend Glenn play it... none of them can consistently get the motions to work all the time. There's always a failure rate in how the controls interpret your swing, and so it's often simply doing the wrong thing or begging to be recalibrated.

That's odd. I haven't been having any of those problems. I almost never need to recalibrate, and my thrusts work out perfectly, probably 95% of the time.

Flying does suck, though. Which is too bad because it could have been good.

And the needless explanations from EVERYONE in the game is really annoying as well.

Aside from those two things, so far, I love it. But I'm only 13 hours in.

Red

A tip for bokoblins, for people who are having trouble with them: once you land a single hit, just alternate slashes a couple more times til they're down. Like, if you land a hit from the right, just go left right left quickly.

I'm posting this after watching someone who had passed the first dungeon still struggling with the controls. I think of it like a rhythm game. And I love it.

Also (answer in spoilers): is it explained here why OoT's Kokiri wear the same clothes as Skyloftian knights? The past two games seemed to establish that OoT's Link was the one who established the "hero's clothes."

But then, Nintendo does appear to have completely erased Ezlo from history.

Top Bottom