• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
4. Wii balance board for movement.

5. Wii Heart Sensor comes bundled with it, health regenerates with it/game is designed around this.

I'm having trouble with something so stupid I'm embarrassed to even ask it, but I can't figure it out at all. How do you call the bird? I can't leave the Lumpy Pumpkin, I keep running off the edge of the island and pressing the down button on the D-pad, I've tried mashing it and holding it down, but Link just keeps falling and it puts me back on the island after about 5 seconds. What am I missing here?

Edit: And on standard view, the down button doesn't have a bird or anything on it when diving off the island. Just goes blank.

You have to jump where there's wooden planks leading to a jump. Doesn't really make any sense, but yeah.

ASIS

I'm having trouble with something so stupid I'm embarrassed to even ask it, but I can't figure it out at all. How do you call the bird? I can't leave the Lumpy Pumpkin, I keep running off the edge of the island and pressing the down button on the D-pad, I've tried mashing it and holding it down, but Link just keeps falling and it puts me back on the island after about 5 seconds. What am I missing here?

Edit: And on standard view, the down button doesn't have a bird or anything on it when diving off the island. Just goes blank.
You can't call him at night.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I definitely do NOT think sales-wise any further Zelda game would be a step back. we don't even know if sales wise what this is going to do, period. But as far as I'm concerned, "accessibility and quality wise", my sisters and brother-in-law and me had no problem playing any past Zelda game control-wise. We've fought the controls across the board in Skyward Sword. And we've had to recalibrate and frequently re-center (the game even implements it into the default tutorial explanation, so re-centering has to become a part of the game now. This is called getting LESS accessible, not more. Pointer was more accessible).

So I guess the divide will be on those with magical Wii's which magically do whatever they say all the time (trust me! 90~100%), or those with Wii's which function in the quite clearly broken and obviously you need to buy the non-BC-Wii-in-order-to-get-it-to-work-that-way sense (60~80% success rate in motion interpretation).

Um my Wii is a launch Wii and it controls perfectly for me, my brother, and my girlfriend who strictly plays Sims, Kinect, Animal Crossing, And Trauma Team (with me). If I were to sit her down and let her play Windwaker with a Gamecube pad she would have no earthly idea how to control it. Yet she can pick up Skyward Sword and I barely have to tell her anything. To say a button press or tilt of an analog is more accessible then a swipe to control a sword is just silly.

I haven't needed to once re-calibrate or re-center my controls. Not once. Maybe something really IS wrong with your setup. Maybe the lights or something. Either way my control set-up is obviously not "magical" or the exception because the majority of critics and users agree that control system isn't broken.

Edit: I can't wait to Skyward Sword's sales figures. Good or bad, the meltdowns will be epic!

Maaseru

Banned
Started the game yesterday, really early into it, but I gotta say. This is the first NEW Zelda game since OOT. I mean every Zelda follows the same formula ever since it got to 3D, maybe they had new vehicles, new items, new stuff, but the core game mechanics were the same. Now with SS this has changed in my eyes, Stamina bar some other additions , most I've yet to experience, but it is the first truly new Zelda since OOT, I'm really loving that.

Also there's no better feeling than playing a new Zelda on Thanksgiving. This has happened a lot over the years so it's awesome that it is one of those again. Happy Thanksgiving and Zelda playing to you all.

I'm done reading this thread. I've been loving the shit out of this game and all of you are just making me doubt myself.

Just bail out. I don't see how reading negative comments over and over about a game you're enjoying can possibly add to the experience. If anything, it will make you see faults in places you didn't think were faulty to begin with.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Um my Wii is a launch Wii and it controls perfectly for me, my brother, and my girlfriend who strictly plays Sims, Kinect, Animal Crossing, And Trauma Team (with me). If I were to sit her down and let her play Windwaker with a Gamecube pad she would have no earthly idea how to control it. Yet she can pick up Skyward Sword and I barely have to tell her anything. To say a button press or tilt of an analog is more accessible then a swipe to control a sword is just silly.

I haven't needed to once re-calibrate or re-center my controls. Not once. Maybe something really IS wrong with your setup. Maybe the lights or something. Either way my control set-up is obviously not "magical" or the exception because the majority of critics and users agree that control system isn't broken.

Edit: I can't wait to Skyward Sword's sales figures. Either way, the meltdowns will be epic!
Motion-based pointing is also more accessible. I don't know how many times I have tried to get my dad to play Goldeneye on Wii (he loved the N64 Goldeneye), but he can't stand it because he has to hold the wii-mote up and point at the screen. I try and help him by changing his angle, but he doesn't get it. When he played skyward sword and used the menus, he held up the controller, and the pointer is automatically in the middle, meaning he just gestured toward the option he wanted, and it worked. He asked me why Goldeneye wasn't this easy.

I'm scared.

I think I'm the only one whose controls work perfectly.

All my slashes register as slashes, my thrusts as thrusts, my movements as movements. I never had to recenter my cursor and I never had to recalibrate motion plus except when starting up the game.

It was so perfect it made playing the game unbelievably enjoyable.

You must have a faulty copy. It's not supposed to work well.

Just started dungeon five and have a question (not related to the dungeon):

I found a stone in the room with the goron in Lanayru Desert that said something about completing a dragon's tests to get the best shield. I currently have an upgraded sacred shield, is it worth upgrading or should I try to get the aforementioned shield? And will it be obvious where these tests are? Don't say were, just yes or no.

EDIT: Then I must have a faulty copy too since mine also works like a charm, at least with the wiimote+. I did some switching between a regular motion plus and the LE wiimote+, and the wiimote+ felt more accurate. Could be imagination, though. What do you people use and how accurate do you feel it is?

StevieP

Banned
Motion-based pointing is also more accessible. I don't know how many times I have tried to get my dad to play Goldeneye on Wii (he loved the N64 Goldeneye), but he can't stand it because he has to hold the wii-mote up and point at the screen. I try and help him by changing his angle, but he doesn't get it. When he played skyward sword and used the menus, he held up the controller, and the pointer is automatically in the middle, meaning he just gestured toward the option he wanted, and it worked. He asked me why Goldeneye wasn't this easy.

I absolutely hated the loss in accuracy and reliability going from infrared to Move-style. That's literally one of my only complaints with this game so far.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου

I found a stone in the room with the goron in Lanayru Desert that said something about completing a dragon's tests to get the best shield. I currently have an upgraded sacred shield, is it worth upgrading or should I try to get the aforementioned shield? And will it be obvious where these tests are? Don't say were, just yes or no.
Keep upgrading your current shield for now.

ASIS

You should upgrade your shield at least once to be on the safe side, and the tests will be obvious, yes.

Phenomic

In my humble opinion
I would just upgrade the one you have. By the time you can access that one you won't even need it...

Amir0x

Banned
Dude you were so excited for this game. It was kinda scary lol

I learned my lesson from Twilight Princess. Gotta control that hype.

this is the first Zelda game that has ever failed to live up to my expectations. With Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, I went into them skeptical and so it didn't end up a surprise when it WAS kind of shady quality-wise. This one i just called wrong. I didn't expect the bad parts of Nintendo design to infect THIS much of the game.

I definitely will re-evaluate my expectations if the next game is motion+ (which I highly doubt, but we'll see. I'll just skip it then).

ASIS

this is the first Zelda game that has ever failed to live up to my expectations. With Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, I went into them skeptical and so it didn't end up a surprise when it WAS kind of shady quality-wise. This one i just called wrong. I didn't expect the bad parts of Nintendo design to infect THIS much of the game.

I definitely will re-evaluate my expectations if the next game is motion+ (which I highly doubt, but we'll see. I'll just skip it then).

Just so we're in the clear, your biggest gripe towards the game are the motion controls right?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm right at the beginning of Skyward Sword (only started playing last night), and so far I'm finding the game pretty charming, but I'm starting to regret putting down my 65 hour Skyrim save to play this.

I wasn't expecting it to, but SS lacks the sheer scope of Skyrim as well as the content. In fact, SS feels like a very very small world in comparison. I'm also not too hot on the idea of having to go back up into the clouds and go back to Skyloft every time I want to buy something or do something in town, but I suppose that's no different than going back to any town in Zelda. The total lack of a quest log is really stupid, too.

In some way, I'm regretting playing Skyrim before Zelda, because I'm pretty sure it's coloring my view of the situation, and I don't think I'm going to enjoy Skyward Sword very much. In fact, I'm just thinking I might stop playing SS and go back to Skyrim, and I'm only a few hours into Zelda.

Sadly, that's how little interest I have in continuing SS right now, and I blame Skyrim for that.

(it doesn't help that so far I absolutely fucking hate the motion controls...I really hope they go back to traditional controls for the next Zelda, because combat is no fun)

Again, I'm very near the beginning, so I can't judge the game as a whole, but just what I've experienced. I do have to say, though, that this is the first Zelda game I've played where I really have no desire to play more after playing the first 3-4 hours.

The Lamp

I for one don't think SS is going to sell as well as past Zeldas. The WM+ makes it expensive and divides the target audience, and it's come out so late in the cycle I feel like a lot of people have probably moved on from the Wii.

I'm starting to think that motion control is like playing an instrument. Just because you can't play the notes properly doesn't necessarily mean the instrument is broken.

So I just opened my copy and let me just say... WTF?! What the hell NOA? No wonder Amazon is smashing the shit out of the boxes, the game case and the Wiimote are just floating around in the box. Knowing that my EU Xenoblade bundle was packaged nicely, I went to youtube to find a EU unboxing video. As expected, NoE - they actually put cardboard compartments in for the game, manuals and the Wiimote. NOA you fail!

Phenomic

I assume you really really loved Twilight Princess? Do you remember your impressions of that game when you first played it? Did you play it on Gamecube?

I tend to also wonder if it's a factor of how one comes into these games now. I was way way Hype Trained for Twilight Princess, but I was 16 at the time... I learned my lesson from that one and I don't mean to give off the impression that it was a horrific game, but certainly the weakest console Zelda in my opinion.

One that I cannot bring myself to replay again because of how long it takes to start back up and how empty the world feels to me. (This is another issue though and I think I finally know what happened and why I feel this way after finishing Skyward)

I walked away from Skyward wanting nothing but more.. perhaps a little bit more refinement of the controls and one other thing that I have to admit the one thing I missed was
Really long winding dungeons with 8 or 9 floors.. I think the max was 4 on the ship or something. That being said I wasn't dissatisfied in any of them but that feeling of... Holy Crap I'm never getting through this was gone.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I'm starting to think that motion control is like playing an instrument. Just because you can't play the notes properly doesn't necessarily mean the instrument is broken.

On most motion-control experiences I would disagree with you but with Skyward Sword, Red Steel 2, and a few others:

This!

Papercuts

There's no inherent skill with motion controls. Shit just doesn't have a 100% perfect rate with everything you do.

Heading to the third dungeon, I needed to use the beetle to pick up a bomb. I threw it, and didn't move the wiimote at all. The beetle went straight for a couple of seconds, then leaned heavily to the right and crashed into a wall while I still sat there without moving the controller. I guess my guitar randomly went out of tune.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I feel like I have lower standards than everyone else or something. I've loved every console Zelda so far and I find it impossible to rank them or even say which I one I like the most or least. Each of them has their strengths and weakenesses that I couldn't honestly say one is better than the other. I'm not done SS, but it's been pretty awesome so far and hasn't disappointed me except with Fi so far.

StevieP

Banned
(it doesn't help that so far I absolutely fucking hate the motion controls...I really hope they go back to traditional controls for the next Zelda, because combat is no fun).

This I don't understand. The motion+ combat is far far more fun and engaging (and difficult!) than any previous zelda game, which amounted to basically button-spam.

There's no inherent skill with motion controls.

And this is just... a crazy statement. I would've agreed with you in regards to TP, which was "waggle" button replacement - but SS is not waggle.

There's no inherent skill with motion controls. Shit just doesn't have a 100% perfect rate with everything you do.

Heading to the third dungeon, I needed to use the beetle to pick up a bomb. I threw it, and didn't move the wiimote at all. The beetle went straight for a couple of seconds, then leaned heavily to the right and crashed into a wall while I still sat there without moving the controller. I guess my guitar randomly went out of tune.

Something is definitely wrong, my Beetle has never moved in a direction I didn't want it to.

RetroMG

END GAME SPOILERS

I freaking love
the big battle on the way down into the pit to save Zelda from Ghirahim. Running through horde after horde of baddies and cutting them down like grass
was such an awesome hero moment.
(it doesn't help that so far I absolutely fucking hate the motion controls...I really hope they go back to traditional controls for the next Zelda, because combat is no fun).

I do think more games need to provide the option of playing with or without the motion controls, and I would like to see the option implemented in future Zelda games, even though I think the controls in Skyward Sword are absolutely fantastic.

Just a personal note, this game got 1000X better when I learned to parry with the shield. I can't believe with all the hand-holding bullshit nobody tells you about this. I did it by accident once, and now it the only 100% reliable way to defeat any enemy. Satisfying as hell.

Also, I'm glad combat becomes almost a non-issue when your sword gets upgraded.. slice and dice anything with a couple hits.

At the same time when the hype train was all "this is a breeze to control and play" and you find it take more effort don't you feel a bit betrayed? I know some go into gaming for rereation and having to learn an entire new way of playing just for one game might be a bit much for them.

Plus, I feel there will be some things I'm never 100% happy with and/or able to do consistently. Kind of like Rhythm Heaven flick controls for me.

Penguin

Late Game spoilers

Returned to Eldin region for what 3rd or 4th time (looking for the dragon for part of the Song of Hero), honestly thought the part was going to be tedious especially since the 3rd time climbing the volcano, but ended up enjoying it. A fun little diversion. I hope the other two aren't like that though!

Papercuts

Something is definitely wrong, my Beetle has never moved in a direction I didn't want it to.

That's the only time it ever happened, so I'm not sure. It literally just went full stupid on me and was fine when I rethrew it without changing anything.

I do have issues with the swimming and the thrust, but the rest is fine. I have to move where I'm sitting for the swimming to work fine for some reason.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This I don't understand. The motion+ combat is far far more fun and engaging (and difficult!) than any previous zelda game, which amounted to basically button-spam.

Because quite simply, moving my arm around is not comfortable. I sit in a computer chair when I play, and I can't lean back because I need to keep moving my arm around to do sword slashes. I have to sit in a particular position to play. Not to mention that every time I do a skyward strike, I need to make sure my roommate isn't behind me watching, because I know I look like a fucking idiot when I do it.

I work out 4 days a week, usually right before I play video games in the evening. I don't want to do arm curls, have a sore arm, and then come home and flail around some more. It's painful, and I don't feel like I really have the precision control I do when I'm hitting buttons. Mostly because I do not.

This game has actually proven to me that motion controls are fucking dumb, and I want nothing to do with them.

Though I do appreciate that you refute my claim of motion controls not being fun by saying "I don't get it because they're fun!" I'm sorry, I don't find them fun. Perhaps one day you'll come to terms with that fact.

Reknoc

Soooo, just got to that part...

[post dungeon 6 spoilers]
Yea, I dunno. It's kind of a neat idea, and the area was fun to swim around in, but there were just too many tadpoles. It got rather dull rather quickly. It's easily the weakest of the 3 Dragon challenges so I'm kinda glad I did it last. The cutscene when you complete the song is awesome though!

There's no inherent skill with motion controls.

I disagree. I have almost no problems, but I invited a friend over to play and he had severe troubles with it. He did things "wrong" so that they almost never registered, held it at weird angles, made too many excessive motions etc. I tried to correct him to make it work better, but he immediately went back to his own ways. So yeah, there seems to be some kind of inherent skill.

EDIT:
Not to mention that every time I do a skyward strike, I need to make sure my roommate isn't behind me watching, because I know I look like a fucking idiot when I do it.
You just have to tilt the controller up, there's no need to raise it over your head.

Salmonax

I'm getting to the point myself where M+ is ruining a lot of my enjoyment.

Same here. The combat just seems too sluggish to respond, so it's more frustrating than it is fun. It's like they knew they had to delver roughly a 1:1 experience or face the wrath of the gaming press and fans, so they forced it in regardless of whether it was the best idea.

Papercuts

I disagree. I have almost no problems, but I invited a friend over to play and he had severe troubles with it. He did things "wrong" so that they almost never registered, held it at weird angles, made too many excessive motions etc. I tried to correct him to make it work better, but he immediately went back to his own ways. So yeah, there seems to be some kind of inherent skill.

EDIT:

You just have to tilt the controller up, there's no need to raise it over your head.

Eh, I guess I can see where you're coming from. It's natural to hold the wiimote kinda tilted which you need to correct.

thetrin

I'm actually liking Loftwing flying more after getting the Beetle.

I hate to be negative, but I hope I get to your position at some point. So far I hate everything control-related in this game. The fact that nearly everything is motion controlled, I find myself preying for buttons and a joystick, because I can't control anything worth shit with motion controls. My loftwing constantly veers to the left for no reason, and I don't feel like it's any more immersive that I'm controlling my loftwing like it's a paper airplane.

I was hoping it was just combat, and I could tolerate it, but it's god damn EVERYTHING. I hate what little motion controlled stuff they put in Mario Galaxy, but at least the rest was button controlled, and I could get some precision. God damn everything in this game requires motion control, and I feel like I'm leaving luck up to the gods every time I do anything.

Then what's the point at all? I fail to understand why this shit is motion controlled when I don't even need to mimic the movements. This should all be on buttons. *Sigh*

This game is obviously not for me. I'm going to go back to Skyrim.

Papercuts

I hate to be negative, but I hope I get to your position at some point. So far I hate everything control-related to this game. The fact that nearly everything is motion controlled, I find myself preying for buttons and a joystick, because I can't control anything worth shit with motion controls. My loftwing constantly veers to the left for no reason, and I don't feel like it's any more immersive that I'm controlling my loftwing like it's a paper airplane.

You're going to fucking despise the swimming. :p

Nekofrog

Banned
Anyone else still just mainly waggling the sword? I'm finding that except for rare circumstances where specific directional strikes are required (which honestly isn't often), simply waggling produces better results.

Plus it's easier on the wrist.

Anth0ny

Started the game yesterday, really early into it, but I gotta say. This is the first NEW Zelda game since OOT. I mean every Zelda follows the same formula ever since it got to 3D, maybe they had new vehicles, new items, new stuff, but the core game mechanics were the same. Now with SS this has changed in my eyes, Stamina bar some other additions , most I've yet to experience, but it is the first truly new Zelda since OOT, I'm really loving that.

Also there's no better feeling than playing a new Zelda on Thanksgiving. This has happened a lot over the years so it's awesome that it is one of those again. Happy Thanksgiving and Zelda playing to you all.

Try Majora's Mask again.

SS doesn't take it's place as the largest departure from the traditional Zelda formula.

thetrin

You're going to fucking despise the swimming. :p

There is swimming in this game? God fucking dammit. I'm bailing out now, while I still have my sanity.

I just realised, do I like the motion controls because I hate games with too many buttons?

Maybe. I despise this game so far, because I wish everything was on buttons. I like lots of buttons, because I feel more in control.

Branduil

I'm sorry but after the vastly superior combat experiences this game provides against Stalfos and Lizalfos I never want to go back to the old controls.

Papercuts

There is swimming in this game? God fucking dammit. I'm bailing out now, while I still have my sanity.

All motion controlled! And with no camera control, when you narrowly miss something and have to turn around, you slowly tilt the control and Z target a bunch.

While the sword combat as is would have to stay motion controlled(fine for me), a lot of SS just screams for more options. Thankfully they have the Pro HUD to remove that godawful wiimote, but there really should be a way to disable fi's hints, and I personally would appreciate an option to replace a lot of the motion stuff with analog controls. I don't feel they add anything to the vine swinging, rope walking, beetle flying, bird flying, and especially swimming. I would then keep it on all the aiming items, and the whip. Would do nothing but satisfy more people overall.

thetrin

All motion controlled! And with no camera control, when you narrowly miss something and have to turn around, you slowly tilt the control and Z target a bunch.

Holy fuck. How does someone design that, sit back, and then say "Man, we're really good at this".

I'm sorry but after the vastly superior combat experiences this game provides against Stalfos and Lizalfos I never want to go back to the old controls.

If only I could get past all this crap to get to that point. So far, I have zero desire to play any more of this game.

It's troubling that I'm 3 1/2 hours in, and I have no desire to play any more.

Top Bottom