• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

ASIS

About people complaining about battery life sooner... i checked and, yeah the gold Wiimote and its gold batteries must be made by gods. I checked and i played 16 hours of Zelda and the batteries are still with 3 bars. No where near what people said about changing batteries before even reaching the 2nd dungeon lol.

You should learn by now, people have overblown every single "flaw" of this game to unholy degrees.

Really, it's like playing this game is a chore or something.

KrawlMan

About people complaining about battery life sooner... i checked and, yeah the gold Wiimote and its gold batteries must be made by gods. I checked and i played 16 hours of Zelda and the batteries are still with 3 bars. No where near what people said about changing batteries before even reaching the 2nd dungeon lol.

I'm roughly 19 hours in and still running on the same batteries. Given, now they are just about dead, but I'm more than happy about how long they lasted.

Also, why hasn't the thread title changed?

Uh...the gold batteries lasted me like 5-6 hours..had to switch them out before the second dungeon. Some people got lucky I guess and got overcharged batteries (lol)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

I also just noticed that my rumble was off by default. HA HA.

Satchel

Banned
I've been playing for 19 hours now and I'm in the 3rd temple, and I've only just changed the batteries, which weren't full when I started.

Fuck this game is awesome, has to be said again.

Where is kikiel or whatever the hell her name is? That little girl who is missing?

mr.beers

No, game, fuck you, I will not fight 3 fucking Stalfos. That is fucking impossible. No, fuck you game. I am going to give you a fucking 2 for this inexcusable shit. Are you fucking kidding me? You took an enemy that practically requires stunning with your shield, then ask me to fight FUCKING 3 OF THEM? Hey game, did you consider the fact that YOU CAN'T DO SHIT WHEN THE OTHER 2 DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT YOU? How the fuck am I supposed to beat your shitty fight, huh?

I threw bombs at them and while they were stunned I slashed the shit out of them.

Branduil

Holy crap, I've never seen a Zelda game this sexualized before.

tumblr_lui0pvljTn1qai0h7o1_500.jpg

Unless it's a complaint about the gold batteries in general, I put in a regular set of AA right when I started the game and they lasted me until the end of the 4th dungeon where Fi's constant beeping to tell me that my batteries are low started to annoy me.

After blowing away all the dust, i point it at pipit's mom and she seems to like it... it's nice getting paid 20 rupees cleaning her house. i do it on the regular really, for that quick cash. t's pretty much where I get most of my sleep too. She tells me not to tell her son but I feel as if I have to. I can't seem to bring it up when I talk to pipit and I keep thinking I should but it never comes up.

It's so obvious....
Go by his house at night

cajunator

Banned
I don't care about the general opinion, I'm playing it and it just keeps getting better and better. This far surpassed TP within the third hour.

TP's dungeon/level design and combat wishes it could sniff a morning fart of SS after a hard night of gaming excellence.

I'm not stuck saving some broad from a village that has no importance to Zelda. Plus, every single gimmick and quirk in the level and combat design so far has been meaningful and interesting and almost everything has something new added to it.

Also, the motion controls are satisfying and spot-on for me. If it's not working for you, something is wrong with your game/system/controller/set-up or you just suck.

The few fetchquests I've experienced don't get boring, last as long as they need to before they get boring, and are interesting and explorational/rewarding throughout.

Also I don't really understand the handholding bitching yet. Fi says stuff occasionally but it's short and not very often, and dowsing is optional and so are her hints.

Haters gonna hate. So far, best 3D Zelda ever, etc. etc.

/pre-3rd-dungeon-impressions

I agree with this, even after the 4th dungeon and those so-called fetch quests.
This game is just pure joy to play.

ivysaur12

Banned
The more I play it, the more I like it. Even the "fetch quests." - I liked the pre-dungeon 4
Silent Realm
a lot. It was worlds apart from the similar gameplay concepts in TP/PH/ST.

[Nintex]

And that's dungeon 5 wrapped up. Again some cool stuff but also some really boring and tedious parts. That boss battle was one for the history books.

My main problem with this games is that I don't care about the stupid robots at all so it's hard to care about anything that happens under the clouds when it looks like LEGO on steroids.

Also shut up Fi... just shut up.

teeny

I started playing Skyward Sword right after Twilight Princess, and I actually feel that Twilight Princess does a lot more to open up the world without making it seem like dungeon-like areas roped off into distinct sections. Sure, a lot of the field spaces were empty, but there was something to do in between each dungeon that felt distinctly un-dungeon like. It wasnt just the wolf stuff, it was the interaction with all of the characters, rescuing the kids, snowboarding to the mansion, rushing Midna to Zelda, fighting the giant Bokoblin on horseback ect.

Skyward Sword makes the game denser by having pre-dungeon dungeons, which has the effect of making everything feel similar gameplay wise, and only breaking it up with redundant fetch quests and going back to the hub to see what new sidequests are unlocked and what you can upgrade next. And those sidequests arent anywhere near as meaningful as Majora's Mask's, so you dont feel invested enough, even though the characters have a whole lot of charm.

Plus, I feel TP's dungeon design was a lot better. SS dungeons have been piss easy in comparison, and not so cleverly designed, whilst at the same time being fun as hell.

My ideal Zelda would be:

The open beginning of Zelda I.
Dungeons as well designed as Twilight Princess.
A hub as dense and interesting as Clock Town.
Between-Dungeon sections that mix Twilight Princess's grandness with Skyward Sword's density.
A Link with the agility of The Wind Waker and the combat prowess of Skyward Sword.
An integral, interesting companion like Midna.
Areas connected as in A Link To The Past and Links Awakening, instead of those bloody corridors.
A fuck tonne of hidden items that arent just heart pieces. For example, things that really benefit the upgrade system.
An option to turn off the hand holding.

The thing is, the Zelda team over the many years the franchise has been going have hit the spot for one or more, but not all, of these things, but have failed to develop a new game that amalgamates everything. Is it even possible? Sure it is, they just need to think about what really worked in each of those games, and prune whatever isnt necessary, even if it has become a series staple. For all of its forward momentum, Skyward Sword still exists in the shadow of Ocarina. Its like Nintendo are trying to replicate that success, but they cant seem to figure out what exactly it was that made it successful, so they just try the same stuff and mix it up a touch to see what sticks.

Skyward Sword is still a bloody excellent game, but it fails in so many places that Zelda has succeeded before, that I cant help but feel slightly disappointed.

ASIS

I started playing Skyward Sword right after Twilight Princess, and I actually feel that Twilight Princess does a lot more to open up the world without making it seem like dungeon-like areas roped off into distinct sections. Sure, a lot of the field spaces were empty, but there was something to do in between each dungeon that felt distinctly un-dungeon like. It wasnt just the wolf stuff, it was the interaction with all of the characters, rescuing the kids, snowboarding to the mansion, rushing Midna to Zelda, fighting the giant Bokoblin on horseback ect.

Skyward Sword makes the game denser by having pre-dungeon dungeons, which has the effect of making everything feel similar gameplay wise, and only breaking it up with redundant fetch quests and going back to the hub to see what new sidequests are unlocked and what you can upgrade next. And those sidequests arent anywhere near as meaningful as Majora's Mask's, so you dont feel invested enough, even though the characters have a whole lot of charm.

Plus, I feel TP's dungeon design was a lot better. SS dungeons have been piss easy in comparison, and not so cleverly designed, whilst at the same time being fun as hell.

My ideal Zelda would be:

Between-Dungeon sections that mix Twilight Princess's grandness with Skyward Sword's density.
A Link with the agility of The Wind Waker and the combat prowess of Skyward Sword.
Areas connected as in A Link To The Past and Links Awakening, instead of those bloody corridors.
A fuck tonne of hidden items that arent just heart pieces. For example, things that really benefit the upgrade system.

The thing is, the Zelda team over the many years the franchise has been going have hit the spot for one or more, but not all, of these things, but have failed to develop a new game that amalgamates everything. Is it even possible? Sure it is, they just need to think about what really worked in each of those games, and prune whatever isnt necessary, even if it has become a series staple. For all of its forward momentum, Skyward Sword still exists in the shadow of Ocarina. Its like Nintendo are trying to replicate that success, but they cant seem to figure out what exactly it was that made it successful, so they just try the same stuff and mix it up a touch to see what sticks.

Skyward Sword is still a bloody excellent game, but it fails in so many places that Zelda has succeeded before, that I cant help but feel slightly disappointed.
How far are you in the game?

[Nintex]

Nintendo's Zelda team has a problem and that is that everyone says: "This game is the same" while every Zelda game is really unique. They never got better at making a giant sea because after The Wind Waker we got Twilight Princess. They never got better at doing sidequests because Majora's Mask was only done once. After Skyward Sword they'll never make the motion controls perfect because Wii U is certain to ditch them in favor of the new controller.

They really get one shot at everything so it doesn't get 'better'. This especially shows in stuff that they do get to 'retry' like the difference in quality between Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks and getting another shot at tear collecting with the
Siren Realm.
If they developed Skyward Sword 2 next, they would be able to fix a whole bunch of issues but they won't and that's the biggest weakness of Nintendo's Zelda team. They can make pretty much everything but not everything they make is as good as the other stuff they do. But they never throw out fundamentals like Z-targetting and they never step away from other stuff so in that sense all their games 'feel' the same while they're still all different.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's cool that you can get Fi to give you info on all the NPCs as well as the enemies. Some of the flavour text is great.

teeny

[Nintex];32961991 said:
Nintendo's Zelda team has a problem and that is that everyone says: "This game is the same" while every Zelda game is really unique. They never got better at making a giant sea because after The Wind Waker we got Twilight Princess. They never got better at doing sidequests because Majora's Mask was only done once. After Skyward Sword they'll never make the motion controls perfect because Wii U is certain to ditch them in favor of the new controller.

They really get one shot at everything so it doesn't get 'better'. This especially shows in stuff that they do get to 'retry' like the difference in quality between Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks and getting another shot at tear collecting with the
Siren Realm.
If they developed Skyward Sword 2 next, they would be able to fix a whole bunch of issues but they won't and that's the biggest weakness of Nintendo's Zelda team. They can make pretty much everything but not everything they make is as good as the other stuff they do. But they never throw out fundamentals like Z-targetting and they never step away from other stuff so in that sense all their games 'feel' the same while they're still all different.

I get what you are saying, that Nintendo essentially throw out a whole bunch of really cool ideas, and whatever they do get to improve upon usually does improve.

My main point of contention here is what about side quests and what about hub density? The 2D games after the NES incarnations were pretty dense and filled with stuff to do. Ocarina as as well, the absolute example is Majora, and even in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess you have lots of things to do that dont feel anything like dungeon environments and have relatively cool rewards. Wind Waker has the Pictobox and the gallery. Twilight Princess has the armour and the exploratory quests like the owl statues. Skyward Sword has
Gratitude Crystals

The Lamp

My ideal Zelda would be:

It is not possible, because they stuff that you say "really worked" might be total shit to someone else.

The only "well-designed" TP dungeon in my book was the Sky Temple for the most part. Everything else was amateur hour difficulty and puzzles, with one special item you unlock towards the end that functions as a "key" for the last rooms and boss door, and then you never use it again. TP's dungeons were something to do, and interesting for all being different "elements", but they weren't particularly memorable. Except for the mansion...which was gorgeous...although that was pretty meh in terms of actual design as well.

Even though the first two dungeons of SS here have been really short/easy, there are so many new concepts they're trying out that it's just really fun to play through.

ASIS

[Nintex];32961991 said:

Siren Realm.

This is also true, if SS was under a different title than Zelda then trust me it would get much better praise. But because they are always compared to previous entries you start to see what they "could" have done.

The only thing that I think is truly missing from SS is the outstanding scope. In TP you could see the arbiters grounds from the Eldin providence, and hyrule castle from Zora's domain. In SS you just don't get that sensation at all. I mean I think they both serve their purpose, but I can't put one over the other.

One thing I will say though, flying needs to become a standard for the series, it's just so good!

Zomba13

This is also true, if SS was under a different title than Zelda then trust me it would get much better praise. But because they are always compared to previous entries you start to see what they "could" have done.

The only thing that I think is truly missing from SS is the outstanding scope. In TP you could see the arbiters grounds from the Eldin providence, and hyrule castle from Zora's domain. In SS you just don't get that sensation at all. I mean I think they both serve their purpose, but I can't put one over the other.

One thing I will say though, flying needs to become a standard for the series, it's just so good!
I'd love to see it in a more connected world (like WW's sea). So we could actually skydive through the clouds and land places seamlessly (rather than skydiving into a load screen). It's great fun doing it on the small islands and the lumpy pumpkin (free fall from like, the max hight for a super awesome surprise).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
WTF are you supposed to do for this part pre-5th dungeon?

I need to find the ship after running around a lot. I'm finally using dowsing for something, and it isn't even working? I'm going RIGHT where it's making the reticule bigger and beeping fast, but there's nothing there. Then it just stops like I'm in the wrong spot, I follow it again, same thing. I've literally gone in 3 giant circles, it's like the ship isn't even here. I'm also hitting into stuff and coming into a dead stop in the middle of the water...it's weird. Where the hell is the ship?

teeny

It is not possible, because they stuff that you say "really worked" might be total shit to someone else.

The only "well-designed" TP dungeon in my book was the Sky Temple for the most part. Everything else was amateur hour difficulty and puzzles, with one special item you unlock towards the end that functions as a "key" for the last rooms and boss door, and then you never use it again. TP's dungeons were something to do, and interesting for all being different "elements", but they weren't particularly memorable. Except for the mansion...which was gorgeous...although that was pretty meh in terms of actual design as well.

Even though the first two dungeons of SS here have been really short/easy, there are so many new concepts they're trying out that it's just really fun to play through.

Dont get me wrong, SS is still exceedingly fun to play, and I guess opinions and all that, but the first three dungeons of Twilight Princess eat the first three of Skyward Sword in terms of layout complexity and design.

Arbiter Grounds, Temple of Time, City In The Sky, Snowpeak Ruins and even the Twilight Realm are all memorable imho. Of course, SS dungeons are memorable too, but I feel the greatness comes from the item use and combat, rather than figuring out the rooms. I want multiple floors, I want lots of keys, I want to get lost in a dungeon. And I havent in SS, yet.

Ridley327

I need to find the ship after running around a lot. I'm finally using dowsing for something, and it isn't even working? I'm going RIGHT where it's making the reticule bigger and beeping fast, but there's nothing there. Then it just stops like I'm in the wrong spot, I follow it again, same thing. I've literally gone in 3 giant circles, it's like the ship isn't even here. I'm also hitting into stuff and coming into a dead stop in the middle of the water...it's weird. Where the hell is the ship?

You might want to try and use the other function of your vessel and see if that can help you out.

ASIS

The ship is moving, once you get close shoot it with a cannon a few times

ASIS

Dont get me wrong, SS is still exceedingly fun to play, and I guess opinions and all that, but the first three dungeons of Twilight Princess eat the first three of Skyward Sword in terms of layout complexity and design.

Arbiter Grounds, Temple of Time, City In The Sky, Snowpeak Ruins and even the Twilight Realm are all memorable imho. Of course, SS dungeons are memorable too, but I feel the greatness comes from the item use and combat, rather than figuring out the rooms. I want multiple floors, I want lots of keys, I want to get lost in a dungeon. And I havent in SS, yet.

As far as complexity goes, I think they are tied really, just different approaches to a dungeon design.

I'm just so happy TP is getting some praise now, about time!

EDIT: Also I disagree about the first 3 dungeons in TP being better, in all honesty I think they are about equal. (lakebed tample was outstanding though).

teeny

As far as complexity goes, I think they are tied really, just different approaches to a dungeon design.

I'm just so happy TP is getting some praise now, about time!

Yeah, I get that. I do love SS's temples, but the approach is so very different. Just for the record, I think SS is my favourite game of this generation. I love very nearly everything about it, and maybe my post came across as hyper critical, and that wasnt intended. I guess you have gripes with any game, and those gripes are even more prominent when it comes to a series you are truly invested in.

Twilight Princess is, perhaps, my favourite 3D Zelda, with Majora slightly below it.

PowderedToast

who said nintendo can't tell stories? tonight i saw a character scene that nearly moved me to tears, it had more expression and feeling than anything else i've seen from this medium in years. i'm so happy that it turned out the way i hoped. i saw glimpses in that old trailer that implied they were capable of spinning a beautiful tale and it's actually exceeded my expectations.

so, having finished the game, it was really damn good. goty for me.

the controls were quite bad, and unnecessarily so. obviously it didn't stop me from playing, but analog controls when applicable (most cases) and IR pointing would've made a world of difference. the sword combat was great and definitely showed good use of the motion controls.

ASIS

Yeah, I get that. I do love SS's temples, but the approach is so very different. Just for the record, I think SS is my favourite game of this generation. I love very nearly everything about it, and maybe my post came across as hyper critical, and that wasnt intended. I guess you have gripes with any game, and those gripes are even more prominent when it comes to a series you are truly invested in.

Twilight Princess is, perhaps, my favourite 3D Zelda, with Majora slightly below it.

It's fine, I just want to know exactly where you stand. And yes, with every game I played I always thought "if they only made this". Zelda is no different I guess.

BTW, you guys know how the Zelda cycle runs right? Well I think it's hitting me in a very weird order. When TP came out I realized that MM was actually my favorite game.. now that SS is out.. WW is beginning to top it :/

[Nintex]

It was bound to happen. And no doubt that those who are disliking SS currently will be wishing the WiiU Zelda was more like SS.

Nope, SS and TP are two totally different games with different goals in mind and in that sense I expect Zelda Wii U to be quite different from these two as well.

My favorite enemies in the game so far are easily the
snails in the desert
or whatever they are.

They are hermit crabs. How do they look like snails at all?

They really get one shot at everything so it doesn't get 'better'. This especially shows in stuff that they do get to 'retry' like the difference in quality between Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks and getting another shot at tear collecting with the Siren Realm. If they developed Skyward Sword 2 next, they would be able to fix a whole bunch of issues but they won't and that's the biggest weakness of Nintendo's Zelda team. They can make pretty much everything but not everything they make is as good as the other stuff they do. But they never throw out fundamentals like Z-targetting and they never step away from other stuff so in that sense all their games 'feel' the same while they're still all different.

Somewhat agree and somewhat disagree. I think we will get motion controls, will have the upgrade system, Stamina/dash and a closer overworld structure. I don't think we'll get the same artstyle or another game in the sky but I think we will get a lot of the new game mechanics from SS returning. OoT, MM, TWW and TP all introduced plenty of new game mechanics that improved upon the core gameplay and were carried over to each successive Zelda. I'd say most of the aesthetic things were different but I think the core gameplay was constantly just being built upon with these 4. For example Z-targeting and the jump attack was introduced in OoT and then TWW took it further by introducing more context sensitive sword moves and finally TP made it fully fleshed out. Same as the camera controls and many item ideas for example the Grapple introduced in TWW gave way to the Whip and the Clawshot introduced in later Zelda games.

I will agree that most Zelda games instead of making a direct sequel that improves on things they move onto other concepts and usually introduce a lot more new concepts. That was their biggest issue, imo, with OoT. Most Zelda fans wanted OoT 2.0 just bigger and improved after OoT but instead we got MM and WW which were very different concept which is why it was so off putting and polarizing for their time. By the time we got OoT 2.0(TP) I think most were overhyped from waiting 8 years for this game that of course it didn't exceed everyone's expectations.

Top Bottom