• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

I suppose now that I had to leave the fucking temple to repair my shield (stupidest shit ever, why the fuck can shields break, it adds nothing) I guess I'll have to go through THE ENTIRE TEMPLE yet again.
That's one of the good new features of the game, it forces you to use the shield properly. Nintendo did some things to make matters easy, there are potions that restore the shield and you can carry multiple shields if you have enough space. Also the shield is optional.

Anth0ny

I didn't need my shield for the entire game until the very end.

I bodied those three stalfos. Fun battle. Backflips all day.

Did people really have problems with the (post 6th dungeon)
collecting all the Tadtones in a group aspect? Shake the Nunchuk, it speeds you up, Tadtones restore air so you're not losing any, and it draws them in. You can suck up the big strings without even aiming at them.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I just feel depressed about the whole game right now, which is not how I want to be feeling about it. I was really excited to see how it was gonna end, and now I can't because Nintendo managed to mess their last big Wii title (and the latest entry in one of their greatest franchises) up after 5 years of development. Sure, this glitch seems to affect very few people, but for those of us it does affect it completely ruins the game. Yes, it has been a great journey up until now, but those positive feelings are swiftly crushed when you realize you won't be able to reach the goal of that journey. Feeling the excitement build up as you draw closer to the end, and then having the game say "fuck you, I'm not gonna let you ever get there", is horrible.

This was one of my most anticipated games of 2011, and was a definite GOTY contender for me up until this happened. Now it's just a huge disappointment.

:(

Alchemy

So many haters - tis the season to hate.

I'm going out of my way to guess that people hate it because they actually don't like many aspects of the game. The only thing I've ever seen that caused this kind of negative reaction was first reveals of Wind Wakers art style, but then everyone shut up and enjoyed the game. People may have disliked the triforce hunt or sailing, but it didn't seem to cause this bad of a reaction from many gamers. Skyward Sword has really succeeded at being a polarizing game.

Though I wish I would see more positive reactions like "After X part the game because so amazingly good!" just so I can muster up the desire to continue playing.

Mii

Banned
I just feel depressed about the whole game right now, which is not how I want to be feeling about it. I was really excited to see how it was gonna end, and now I can't because Nintendo managed to mess their last big Wii title (and the latest entry in one of their greatest franchises) up after 5 years of development. Sure, this glitch seems to affect very few people, but for those of us it does affect it completely ruins the game. Yes, it has been a great journey up until now, but those positive feelings are swiftly crushed when you realize you won't be able to reach the goal of that journey. Feeling the excitement build up as you draw closer to the end, and then have the game say "fuck you, I'm not gonna let you ever get there", is horrible.

This was one of my most anticipated games of 2011, and was a definite GOTY contender for me up until this happened. Now it's just a huge disappointment.

Is there a way to transfer game saves? Perhaps one of us can send over to you a non-borked version right at that point in the game? I can keep you in mind when i get to it in my
Hero Mode
file.

Did people really have problems with the
collecting all the Tadtones in a group aspect? Shake the Nunchuk, it speeds you up, Tadtones restore air so you're not losing any, and it draws them in. You can suck up the big strings without even aiming at them.

Lol. Way to use spoiler tags, bro.

Anyway (Post-6th dungeon spoilers)
When that part started, I went "Why?! Why do I have to do this bullshit?!" However, I eventually came to like that part of the game. It sticks with me. I need to give TP a replay now to see how it stacks up.

Busaiku

I found it much easier to waggle like a maniac against Lizalfos than the Bokoblins.
I can never seem to get horizontal or diagonal slashes when I want them though.

So many haters - tis the season to hate.
To be fair it was pretty much what we expected. When they make a new Zelda mixing things up a bit, it's going to get mixed reactions. Plus introducing new elements vs. old stuff that has been fine tuned over that last 20 years but gotten old now is a rather tough battle.
This is the first Zelda game that tries it way with motion control (TP doesn't count as it was all waggle, except for the bow which wasn' even used in SS).

In some way it's a good sign that the criticism is so scattered as it shows that there's value in nearly all areas of the game if you can connect with it.

Whereas the criticism of TP was pretty much universal showing that the dev truly screwed up in certain areas.

so i just got done picking up every pumpkin at the pumpkin bar to help out the girl who was doing it. she... didn't change her tune. thanks bitch.

it feels so cool standing on top of the small sky islands

I just feel depressed about the whole game right now, which is not how I want to be feeling about it. I was really excited to see how it was gonna end, and now I can't because Nintendo managed to mess their last big Wii title (and the latest entry in one of their greatest franchises) up after 5 years of development. Sure, this glitch seems to affect very few people, but for those of us it does affect it completely ruins the game. Yes, it has been a great journey up until now, but those positive feelings are swiftly crushed when you realize you won't be able to reach the goal of that journey. Feeling the excitement build up as you draw closer to the end, and then have the game say "fuck you, I'm not gonna let you ever get there", is horrible.

damn that sucks. sorry breh. how about a warning for the glitch included in the OP, amirox?

He did feel more like a later game boss he required some patience and carful strikes, him and the stupid easy third boss should have been switched around.

Every enemy up until the 2nd area is designed to build up on the last and teach you how combat works.

Keese show you how directions work by being disposed of easily and being thrown in to wall/ground/ceiling at the direction you hit. Slimes show you why directions are important - if you split them horizontally, they just reform, if you hit them vertically, they stay split unless they regroup. The killer kitten shows you that you can hit enemies with multiple strikes at once and combo them because it never dies.

Then you get to Bokoblins, which require using all that knowledge you've gained already with quick reactions. You can still waggle to beat them, but it's better that you learn how things work, because the first boss is essentially the same, except waggling will absolutely not work.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
a freeze is no biggie, but we need to know where that game-breaking glitch is, that's for sure.

Doesn't seem to be anyway to avoid it, unlike the Twilight Princess glitch that occurred if you saved in the wrong place.

Basically a late game cutscene required to progress simply isn't playing.

The Lamp

Just finished the second "dungeon"

So far this is an amazing Zelda. I haven't even bothered in the sidequests yet...I've just been exploring and having fun. Omgggggg.

Exploration is so much more meaningful in this Zelda. I feel like a badass being able to dash everywhere and climb shit. I'M THE GATDAM CHOSEN ONE, OUT OF MY WAY, BOKOBLIN!

Also I'm playing on an SD TV at my parents' house and it looks great, but it's stuck in cropped widescreen. There is no fullscreen option :C

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Post dungeon 3 boss event spoiler:

The Imprisoned fight was very strange.. definitely not what I was expecting from that character, especially since he seemed so terrifying before. EVIL WIGGLY TOES

Absolutely loving the game, with my only disappointment being that "The Sky" seems like a bit of a missed potential. The overall look and color palette used is a bit more bland and less beautiful than it could have been (not to say it's ugly.. it's just not as visually impressive as I was expecting, especially considering the superb art direction of some of the later areas or even comparing it to Wind Waker), and the whole things still feels barren to me. Definitely not as interesting, exciting, or begging to be explored as much as a real overworld that directly connects everything.

But I'm absolutely adoring everything else, and I'll be completely obsessed with the game until I finish it (repeating the same cycle I go through with every new Zelda release). Count me in with the people who love the motion controlled combat :)

Davey Cakes

Is there anything that Nintendo can do in terms of glitches? I mean, can you send the game in and have them look over it with a debugger to make sure things are triggering correctly?

I'm not sure how these things work, but I'm actually curious if that's technically a possibility.

No, game, fuck you, I will not fight 3 fucking Stalfos. That is fucking impossible. No, fuck you game. I am going to give you a fucking 2 for this inexcusable shit. Are you fucking kidding me? You took an enemy that practically requires stunning with your shield, then ask me to fight FUCKING 3 OF THEM? Hey game, did you consider the fact that YOU CAN'T DO SHIT WHEN THE OTHER 2 DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT YOU? How the fuck am I supposed to beat your shitty fight, huh?

This is fucking ridiculous. It's obviously the game's fault.

In any case, it's funny to see people complaining about a Zelda game being too difficult.

The controls are great. They take a while to get used to, but there's a lot of nuance to them. Some people here just seem entirely unwilling to learn how to use them properly. And that sucks for them.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
a freeze is no biggie, but we need to know where that game-breaking glitch is, that's for sure.

All I know is the result of the glitch. I have no idea what causes it. You won't know anything is wrong until you get to the point where something is supposed to happen but doesn't. And unless you already know something is supposed to happen there (which you can't know without being told), you won't know anything is wrong then either, because there is no indication whatsoever that anything has gone wrong. I only found out by checking a guide (which I hate doing) because I had no idea what to do next. Turns out there is nothing for me to do next.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Exploration is so much more meaningful in this Zelda. I feel like a badass being able to dash everywhere and climb shit. I'M THE GATDAM CHOSEN ONE, OUT OF MY WAY, BOKOBLIN!

It's such a simple addition, but Link's badass newfound dashing/parkour abilities add a LOT of enjoyment to the game for me... now if only I could swipe my sword while running!

In any case, it's funny to see people complaining about a Zelda game being too difficult

The low difficulty of every other 3D Zelda was pretty much my only issue with otherwise brilliant games. The fact that it's been addressed in this game makes me a very happy man.

Gamers these days (on average, not all of 'em) tend not to appreciate controller-throwing challenge the same way we did back in the 80s/90s, unfortunately. Different strokes for different folks, but I definitely miss the way it used to be!

jman2050

i didn't think it'd ever come, but this zelda is actually challenging, like 2D zelda challenging. potions will be drank and grass blades aren't secretly made out of hearts.

I think some people were expecting more of the same when it came to 3D Zelda difficulty (I know I was) and are taken aback when they realize you can't just breeze through most of the combat in this game.

cajunator

Banned
No, game, fuck you, I will not fight 3 fucking Stalfos. That is fucking impossible. No, fuck you game. I am going to give you a fucking 2 for this inexcusable shit. Are you fucking kidding me? You took an enemy that practically requires stunning with your shield, then ask me to fight FUCKING 3 OF THEM? Hey game, did you consider the fact that YOU CAN'T DO SHIT WHEN THE OTHER 2 DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT YOU? How the fuck am I supposed to beat your shitty fight, huh?

?What the fuck? I beat that fight in one try and I suck at combat in most games. That wasn't difficult. Just don't flail aboutl ike an idiot and you'll be fine.

425kid

Just stated it last night and I really like it. Don't have any problem with the motion control so far, the bird contest was a bleeze. (I just fly casually and the yellow bird will turn and come right at me) My girlfriend enjoy watching it and she already like Link, Zelda and Groose. The intro was nice and all and we enjoy it but it was so slow. We finally landed on the surface and we had to call it a night.

KrawlMan

?What the fuck? I beat that fight in one try and I suck at combat in most games. That wasn't difficult. Just don't flail aboutl ike an idiot and you'll be fine.

Exactly. Just maintain a good distance from them when you know they are about to throw themselves forward (they have very apparent visual cues), and other than that just play it safe picking off one at a time as you walk / jump backwards through the arena. I really enjoyed that fight. I can't wait to see how challenging this game gets (I'm only in the 4th Dungeon/Temple).

fernoca

Yeah, I passed that encounter with no problems. Plus you can hit the others while focusing on one; (attack spoiler? :p)
stunning with the shield just makes the arms fall; but you can attack them without doing it. So, I guess his problem was that he only thinks he can beat them by using the shield.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah. You have enough ways to dodge and parry attacks in this game. Just backflip the hell away from them when shit gets too crazy. Try to isolate one of them and wail on him methodically. If you get caught up in them, just hack your way back to safety. they give you plenty of hearts and space to avoid them. Just be careful and methodical.

AniHawk

[pre-4 spoilers]
i actually laughed out loud for the first time in this game- the part where groose follows link to the ground. kinda surprised these characters aren't being totally left behind like in other zelda games. i'm doing some sidequests now and it really does feel like majora's mask in a way.

i gave the paper to the ghost, which i think was the wrong move. hilarious and disturbing outcome though.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Groose is annoying, but as the game goes on his character gets pretty fun.

"We shall call this beautiful and mysterious world...Grooseland!" Or something like that.
I totally expected him to say Hyrule and the "omgnowai" reaction we would have if he was the one who gave Hyrule its name.

The low difficulty of every other 3D Zelda was pretty much my only issue with otherwise brilliant games. The fact that it's been addressed in this game makes me a very happy man.

I remember seeing several people complain about Nintendo's decision to bump up the starting heart number to six. Can you imagine how hard this game would be if you started with three?

It really is. I've died and died and died and died. And I'm not even to the third dungeon.

and it's all fair. enemies suddenly don't have a bunch of HP and they don't hit you for three hearts a piece. enemies are more aggressive and they're harder to hit. the quarter heart BS from the gamecube zeldae making a much needed extinction probably helps matters.

the economy system has also been vastly improved. there are a lot of things to buy now, most of them useful. you actually have to make tough choices, and i don't think that's been in any zelda... maybe the first one. finding a gold rupee actually means something for once.

i disagree with jarosh's point that the motion control swordplay is at odds with the old zelda combat design. it wouldn't be nearly as interesting in something like ninja gaiden or devil may cry, it would just be a waggle fest. it would be boring in a game with instant kills too. from the beginning of the series, zelda has always been about precision, and now it's taken a large leap in evolution. i've been hoping that z targeting would go away for years now, but now it makes sense. since it focuses on enemies, it's easy to judge the right angle. i dearly hope zelda wii u will use the motion controller.

this is basically the anti-twilight princess so far. challenging, meaningful, with enemies that require a little more than spamming the B button. now without even stepping foot into the second dungeon, here's hoping the dungeon design is on the level of ocarina of time and majora's mask.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
i gave the paper to the ghost, which i think was the wrong move. hilarious and disturbing outcome though.[/spoiler]

Nope...it seems that way, but giving the love letter to Karane ends just as badly for poor Cawlin. :(

cajunator

Banned
[pre-4 spoilers]
i actually laughed out loud for the first time in this game- the part where groose follows link to the ground. kinda surprised these characters aren't being totally left behind like in other zelda games. i'm doing some sidequests now and it really does feel like majora's mask in a way.

i gave the paper to the ghost, which i think was the wrong move. hilarious and disturbing outcome though.

Both ways lead to 5 gratitude crystals. there is no wrong decision there.

Top Bottom