• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

[pre-4 spoilers]
i actually laughed out loud for the first time in this game- the part where groose follows link to the ground. kinda surprised these characters aren't being totally left behind like in other zelda games. i'm doing some sidequests now and it really does feel like majora's mask in a way.

i gave the paper to the ghost, which i think was the wrong move. hilarious and disturbing outcome though.

If it makes you feel any better about that sidequest,
neither results in Cawlain being happy.

Pyrrhus

I feel awful stringing the Item Check Girl along like this but I can't bear to tell her the truth. She just seems so happy...

Chris R

Any tips for making the game pick up my thrusts? I'm just pushing the controller straight towards the tv, but it isn't picking it up most times (making fighting the hanging spiders a PITA).

I feel awful stringing the Item Check Girl along like this but I can't bear to tell her the truth. She just seems so happy...

I like that Fi's text, if you go through the whole sidequest and then Z-target her, implies that Link actually feels the same way.

Just stopping in (don't want to read any spoilers), but I am absolutely loving this game. It has a very real sense of... adventure that really defined Zelda 1 and 2. Dungeons are great so far.

The game looks great - obviously, low res textures and a healthy helping of jaggies, but the art style works well to mitigate those issues.

Motion plus works nicely - it's not perfect (it freaks out on me every once in a while), but I think it's a real value add. Sword fighting is really enjoyable, and the other "mini games" (so to speak) are all pretty well done.

There hasn't been a lot of plot progression at this point (2nd dungeon, with a lot of exploring), but the setup was very well done. It's fun to see a Link and Zelda who actually have a relationship - it makes the inevitable conflict more interesting.

What cover are y'all using for the CD on iTunes? I need one.
This is the only image I've found that can be used as a cover (can't even find it any larger :/)

933_Image161.jpg

No luck finding custom covers, maybe ask for one in the minimal video game cover thread?

VerTiGo

Banned
After blowing away all the dust, i point it at pipit's mom and she seems to like it... it's nice getting paid 20 rupees cleaning her house. i do it on the regular really, for that quick cash. t's pretty much where I get most of my sleep too. She tells me not to tell her son but I feel as if I have to. I can't seem to bring it up when I talk to pipit and I keep thinking I should but it never comes up.

It's so obvious....

This game is awesome.

Tarin02543

I'm totally stuck at the
last dungeon, right in front of a a frog/fire gate. It's in the little garden with lots of waterberries hanging around. It's near the room where you find the mole who is suspended above the lavalake. Anyone know how to progress further? Obviously you cannot pick up a waterberry and throw it at the frogface

I'm totally stuck at the
last dungeon, right in front of a a frog/fire gate. It's in the little garden with lots of waterberries hanging around. It's near the room where you find the mole who is suspended above the lavalake. Anyone know how to progress further? Obviously you cannot pick up a waterberry and throw it at the frogface

Remember the thread title.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm totally stuck at the

Thrust stab one of the pods

Johnas

Well, the fourth dungeon was great, just like everyone has said.

Really, I have thoroughly enjoyed every "proper" dungeon I've completed so far. Sometimes the overworld segments can be a little tedious.

I'm looking forward to getting the hookshot (or clawshot, or clawshots) so I can quit being tempted by all those targets all over the place.

Sagitario

Sooo I just found this out, and maybe it's apparent to everyone else. Still, it might be useful if you're having trouble with errant swings:

It doesn't matter where your positioning is to swing your sword. No matter how Link is holding the sword, flicking your wrist left will always do a forehand swipe (right to left), flicking it right will do a backhand swipe. Same goes for up/down.

So even if you're holding the sword across Link's body (ready to do a backhand), if you flick your wrist further left Link will immediately come around with a forehand swipe. You only need to position your sword to fake out enemies. You don't need to bring it back around again for a different kind of swipe.

Good to know. Thank you.

You really don't, and in fact that feels like it's harder to rotate your wrist and left and right that way. You can hold it normally or maybe put your palm over the top of the controller.

I wonder if people are rotating the controller around the wrong axes? For flying/swimming/skydiving you never need to move the controller left/right (like sword swinging). It should stay stationary on that plane and rotate left/right, like you were turning a key, as mentioned above. And it should be tilted back and forward, not raised up and down.

Turn it like a key.

Hold it horizontal tilt ln the direction you want to move eg tilt left to move left. Point the ir sensor to the ground to go fast. Its nearly identical to Wii sports resort free falling.

Thanks. Will try it when I get home.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
True, but
not giving the letter to Karane means Karane and Pipit aren't happy either.
[paper sidequest spoiler]
Getting a creepy ghost to torment Cawlin in his sleep forever and ever might be worth it.

Red

Huh (dungeon 3 spoiler)

The tree at Lanayru being the same one as in Twilight Princess was a nice touch. I was hoping to run into this reference! Glad to see it exists.

Also, do the robots remind anyone else of Midna's mask? The eyes are similarly unequal, and I noticed that the turning puzzle to access the mines had a similar sort of shape and pattern as it.

Pyrokai

Huh (dungeon 3 spoiler)

The tree at Lanayru being the same one as in Twilight Princess was a nice touch. I was hoping to run into this reference! Glad to see it exists.

Also, do the robots remind anyone else of Midna's mask? The eyes are similarly unequal, and I noticed that the turning puzzle to access the mines had a similar sort of shape and pattern as it.

May I ask
which tree you're talking about in Twilight Princess? I think you're talking about the big tree that was made visible high on top of a perch-like thing
?

cajunator

Banned
Huh (dungeon 3 spoiler)

Yeah I did see that similarity as well.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Dungeon 5 spoiler:

At the end of the Sandship, in the Captain's quarters, I use my beetle to fly through the electric fence, and head up towards through the fan towards the Timeshift stone. The moment the beetle actually hits the stone, the game just locks up completely. I cannot even use the power button on the Wii or the Wiimote to turn it off, I have to shit the main power off to reset the system.
Seriously why did you do it this way? Going to have to upgrade my
beetle
to test this out myself.

So I'm replaying through Skyward Sword
via Hero Mode,
and I couldn't help but notice this.
0CBIPl.jpg

What are those?
This is right after you enter Faron Woods for the first time, but the second time you see the Kikwi.
Excuse the poor picture, I don't have a capture device and had to use my cellular device.

In the first dungeon now. The item is pretty cool, but I have to ask
are the tunnels in the walls with the mushrooms in them meant to be impassible dead ends or is there a way to get the beetle past them? There's a heart piece in the room and I can't figure out how to get at it.

Unfortunately I don't think there's a
Link/Karane
path.

I laughed when
if you give the letter to the hand (and thus screw over Cawlin AND prevent Karane and Pipit from getting together), then talking to Karane afterwards in the Academy will have her say that Link's getting more and more handsome and that he gives off a "'reliable guy' vibe."

ASIS

He's a hypocrite who goes on and on about knightly virtues but is in actuality only doing it for the money. He doesn't deserve Karane.

Not that Cawlin does either.

Doesn't make him a bad person though, he's just a good guy serving his village, but he holds a secret like everybody else

Red

In the first dungeon now. The item is pretty cool, but I have to ask
are the tunnels in the walls with the mushrooms in them meant to be impassible dead ends or is there a way to get the beetle past them? There's a heart piece in the room and I can't figure out how to get at it.

You're looking in the wrong place.

Doesn't make him a bad person though, he's just a good guy serving his village, but he holds a secret like everybody else
I really just don't like the type.

I laughed when
if you give the letter to the hand (and thus screw over Cawlin AND prevent Karane and Pipit from getting together), then talking to Karane afterwards in the Academy will have her say that Link's getting more and more handsome and that he gives off a "'reliable guy' vibe."
Actually, she still says that even when Pipit and her get together.

Look at all those black bars!

Garcia

Has the backlash started?

Has TP been deemed the best Zelda ever yet?

GAF, what is the general opinion of SS?

Looks like most of us really like it, although there are some detrimental aspects that are totally worth pointing out, like unnecessary fetch quests and plenty other small details. I speak for myself when I say I'm seriously enjoying the game, but that doesn't mean I can't savagely butcher and criticize its flaws.

The Lamp

Has the backlash started?

Has TP been deemed the best Zelda ever yet?

GAF, what is the general opinion of SS?

I don't care about the general opinion, I'm playing it and it just keeps getting better and better. This far surpassed TP within the third hour.

TP's dungeon/level design and combat wishes it could sniff a morning fart of SS after a hard night of gaming excellence.

I'm not stuck saving some broad from a village that has no importance to Zelda. Plus, every single gimmick and quirk in the level and combat design so far has been meaningful and interesting and almost everything has something new added to it.

Also, the motion controls are satisfying and spot-on for me. If it's not working for you, something is wrong with your game/system/controller/set-up or you just suck.

The few fetchquests I've experienced don't get boring, last as long as they need to before they get boring, and are interesting and explorational/rewarding throughout.

Also I don't really understand the handholding bitching yet. Fi says stuff occasionally but it's short and not very often, and dowsing is optional and so are her hints.

Haters gonna hate. So far, best 3D Zelda ever, etc. etc.

/pre-3rd-dungeon-impressions

Branduil

I laughed when

She does that no matter what. Like, she says it right in front of Pipit.

Dungeon 5 complete. Story spoiler:
Holy shit, Link has the Triforce of Wisdom too? Wonder when they're actually going to start addressing that. He's not supposed to have it, what's going onnnnnnnnnn

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
About people complaining about battery life sooner... i checked and, yeah the gold Wiimote and its gold batteries must be made by gods. I checked and i played 16 hours of Zelda and the batteries are still with 3 bars. No where near what people said about changing batteries before even reaching the 2nd dungeon lol.

Top Bottom