• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

KarmaCow

Anyways, I just beat the 6th dungeon and this game is mixed bag. So many good moments marred by some awful design decisions. So far my favourite dungeon was the 4th, which is funny because the lead up to the dungeon was terrible.

Anyways, I just beat the 6th dungeon and this game is mixed bag. So many good moments marred by some awful design decisions. So far my favourite dungeon was the 4th, which is funny because the lead up to the dungeon was terrible.

Dam, all this "4th better than the 3rd dungeon" is making me nervous because I haven't played the 4th one yet.

Ok that made me laugh and I don't mean that to be condescending.

I can see how they may be fun for others. In my view, those moments took me completely out of the experience and to me, this franchise is about bein immersed by the world, music, characters and puzzles. That is the only combination that I care for. In the end, it is all about execution and these fetch quests are highly formulaic and distracting, to me, at this point.

So, were I doing fetch quests to help a character and in return I learn a bit more of said character and I was immersed or motivated to help someone, to get a sense of this world, then whatev. Throw 100 feth quests at me. I want somethig at stake.

Listen, this is just my reaction and I don't want to "poo" over your play through. I hope you do get your money's worth out of it. I had no expectations going in, got distracted by the game's simplicity, and began wondering if this is what i'll be expecting every six years.

It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Some find "fetch quests" game-ruining, some find them tolerable, some find them amusing.

Sure they could cut down on them but I think that's a formula they use as game design, they are pattered to recycle concepts.

I came across the Tear "fetch quest" and honestly thought "this is basic and boring" and then really enjoyed it because it got really tense(for me) near the end of the trial, almost Resident Evil-like.

I can see what you mean though, I just don't think it's a gamebreaker and obviously for you, it killed your mood and vibe for the game.

braves01

Banned
I just got to the 4th dungeon, and while the padding leading up to it is the Frankenstein's monster of stupid shit from TP and other bad design brought back to life, it has given me the chance to become much more fond of the art. I loved the concept art, but my initial impression of in-game art was pretty meh. I think Motion Plus rage made me somewhat myopic because I'm coming back around to loving it. The entrance to the 4th dungeon in particular is very pretty, imo.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
I just got to the 4th dungeon, and while the padding leading up to it is the Frankenstein's monster of stupid shit from TP and other bad design brought back to life, it has given me the chance to become much more fond of the art. I loved the concept art, but my initial impression of in-game art was pretty meh. I think Motion Plus rage made me somewhat myopic because I'm coming back around to loving it. The entrance to the 4th dungeon in particular is very pretty, imo.
The entire 4th dungeon is the most beautiful. I go back and forth between whether I like the third or fourth dungeon better.

watershed

Banned
After a very "filler" like part after the 6th dungeon I am back to the awesome stuff.
Just went through the last part of the desert to help the last dragon. That little dungeon/area was great. It used I think all your items and was almost like a little zelda speed run. Very fun especially to see how much better I've gotten since the start of the game. I made quick work of all the enemies. Now I'm about to enter what seems like the last true dungeon.
For me this is an amazing Zelda game with some minor issues which are mostly issues that have carried over from past Zelda games but not glaring enough to overshadow the awesomeness of it all.

See this is the problem with the Zelda fanbase (in reference to such varied opinions. Not saying this is a bad opinion). I enjoyed the pre- 4th dungeon as you call it 'stupid shit'. I also enjoyed that stuff in TP. I honestly can't comprehend why people hate it other than it occurs outside of a dungeon and people believe that all gameplay should occur inside of the dungeon and everything outside of it wastes their time.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
After a very "filler" like part after the 6th dungeon I am back to the awesome stuff.
Just went through the last part of the desert to help the last dragon. That little dungeon/area was great. It used I think all your items and was almost like a little zelda speed run. Very fun especially to see how much better I've gotten since the start of the game. I made quick work of all the enemies. Now I'm about to enter what seems like the last true dungeon.
For me this is an amazing Zelda game with some minor issues which are mostly issues that have carried over from past Zelda games but not glaring enough to overshadow the awesomeness of it all.

The end of the game is filled with those mini-Zelda experiences. Truly, the design of some of these puzzles/experiences is much higher than any previous Zelda. T_T

I'm fine with fetch quests if they lead to you doing something interesting or fun, which I think they do most of the time in Skyward Sword. I mean Zelda has kind of always been about collecting shit, be it a small key or some new song to play or whatever, so I don't think it's so wildly out of place when they ask you to go get that shit and then something wacky happens. Of course, collecting shit is just collecting shit if the way you collect shit isn't fun or challenging, like when the shit that must be collected is gated behind a puzzle made specifically to guard against you collecting shit, but there's is a very specific part of the game where they have you collecting shit for the hell of it, which is, of course, not very much fun at all.

braves01

Banned
See this is the problem with the Zelda fanbase (in reference to such varied opinions. Not saying this is a bad opinion). I enjoyed the pre- 4th dungeon as you call it 'stupid shit'. I also enjoyed that stuff in TP. I honestly can't comprehend why people hate it other than it occurs outside of a dungeon and people believe that all gameplay should occur inside of the dungeon and everything outside of it wastes their time.

Yeah, I understand how someone could really like
the Silent Realm/Tears
. At least it introduces some new mechanics. But
returning to the earth temple to get water
really irked me since doesn't add or expand on anything gameplay-wise or story-wise, nor does it take me anywhere new in the game world.

The trials are the most infuriating and stressful parts of the game. I just finished the last one and I kind of want to fly over to Japan and punch Shigeru in the face and when he gets up I'll say "It looks like you've failed the trial. You can retry as many times as you want." Then I'd punch him again, repeat it and fly back to the US.

what the fuck

TADTONES?? UNDERWATER? WITH CONTROLS I DESPISE? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME??! I swear to God its like they're trying so hard to troll me.

Forkball

I just beat the first temple. A bit straight-forward and simplistic, but it managed to do a good job of introducing the new controls. The boss battle was also pretty fun and very unorthodox for a first dungeon battle. Can't wait to see what else the game has in store.

Garcia

Holy crap at the story events post 6th dungeon...can't believe this game got me teary eyed way before it ends. That was so sad!! :'( ....

And god damn.... I feel the power now!! Fucking
True Master Sword
never felt so good before!, and I have it in my hands. On my way to what comes next. Excited!

Quick Edit: Groose just became one of my favorite NPCs of Zelda. He's seriously awesome =).

You didn't laugh and if you think that's "laugh out loud" funny, you may want to pop in a George Carlin standup from time to time and broaden your horizon.

George Carlin is funny?

I enjoy reading this thread and seeing people on both sides of the fence call the other side out for being too extremely far into their respective side.

Stylo

This game is exceeding my expectations with every moment. I learned my lesson. I'm never paying attention to any media until a game comes out.

legend166

I'm stuck.

Pre second dungeon spoilers:

I have 3/5 parts for the key to open the door. One of the parts is behind a bunch of rocks I need to blow up. This is sorta at the bottom of the hills where you need to sprint. There's the tower that's fallen over, and the bombs are next to it. I have no idea how to get the bombs over to blow away the rocks. It's just too far away.

I'm stuck.

Pre second dungeon spoilers:

I have 3/5 parts for the key to open the door. One of the parts is behind a bunch of rocks I need to blow up. This is sorta at the bottom of the hills where you need to sprint. There's the tower that's fallen over, and the bombs are next to it. I have no idea how to get the bombs over to blow away the rocks. It's just too far away.

You have to go into the area with the heat that sets you on fire. Head in and take the first exit on the right. That takes you round the way to the other side of those rocks.

This game is exceeding my expectations with every moment. I learned my lesson. I'm never paying attention to any media until a game comes out.
What lesson exactly? So many sites (big and small) have slammed 10/10 at SS, praising both the controls and for reinventing the franchise, a lot of reviews claim that it's the best Zelda ever.

I'm glad you learned your lesson, but a handful of negative reviews should always be held up against what points are discussed in the majority of the reviews.

It's like what Amir0x said: The controls work like shit for him adding the annoying hand-holding makes it a so-so experience, but for those who can control it just fine and don't mind the hand-holding as much as him, it will be a fantastic game for them.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad you're enjoying the game so much, but it dumbfounds me how someone can say this is the best game they've played in several years after only the 1st dungeon... really? It's just tough to swallow, because for me, that is the absolute worst part of the game.

Hence the statement 'my early impression so far'.

I obivously thought the build up to the first/second dungeons was very good. I could not comment if it is a absolute worst part of the game as I am only just passed the 2nd dungeon.

Truth101

Banned
I'm glad you're enjoying the game so much, but it dumbfounds me how someone can say this is the best game they've played in several years after only the 1st dungeon... really? It's just tough to swallow, because for me, that is the absolute worst part of the game.

Does it really dumbfound you that much?

I can tell if I will like, dislike, or love a song from the first couple of seconds I here it. Same as when reading books, watching movies, or playing games. Though the time may vary depending on the format.

Is this the first Zelda game where you start with 6 hearts?
Yup. Minimum dmamage has been changed from 1/4 of a heart to half a heart now, and generally you'll find less hearts in grass etc. I think this is the first time in a 3D Zelda where you actually want to have a potion on you most of the time just in case.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
using bombs is the most infuriating thing in this game. I just wish I could throw them with A.

Rolling them is by far the most uncomfortable thing in the game. Throwing them is simple, but you have to point the remote so low down that if you're reclining on the sofa it becomes difficult to do the motion without returning to the neutral stance.

ace3skoot

The trials are the most infuriating and stressful parts of the game. I just finished the last one and I kind of want to fly over to Japan and punch Shigeru in the face and when he gets up I'll say "It looks like you've failed the trial. You can retry as many times as you want." Then I'd punch him again, repeat it and fly back to the US.

all
of the trials add up to like 30-45 minutes gameplay at most, i can understand if people don't enjoy them, but there spaced far apart and are pretty easy if you know the enviroment and logically approach them, people complain way to much when there such a tiny portion of the game.

daakusedo

I like the trials. Sometimes I wanted to be seen just to listen to the music and the tension of running away but I kept control, I had a princess to save. Plus after the first, the ghosts and time limit were stronger than me at that game.

jonno394

Just done DUngeon six and the post dungeon story was great, though i'll be honest
I was excited to go back in time, and I thought "OMG we're going to be able to explore the Lanryu areas in the past in their full glory Then i noticed the two locked doors.......but when Zelda and Impa mentioned the battle had only just taken place and the world would be ravaged I realised it would all be complete devestation anyway

Xane

Yeah, I understand how someone could really like
the Silent Realm/Tears
. At least it introduces some new mechanics. But
returning to the earth temple to get water
really irked me since doesn't add or expand on anything gameplay-wise or story-wise, nor does it take me anywhere new in the game world.

Hm weird.. I liked that part. Mainly because I liked the dungeon's atmosphere.

Hylian7

Post-sixth dungeon spoilers for a gossip stone in Eldin Volcano:
Aounoma is trolling with that gossip stone that says "Rumor has it a dragon lives in the volcano. Do you need to hear that again?". Saying no, he says "Rumor has it that you always understand everything the first time it is told to you."

Jokab

Am I the only one who thought the first dungeon boss was terrible? I mean
the whole thing about "you gotta hold the sword here, then quickly change it to this position" was such a bullshit idea and added nothing of value to the fight. Then the other stage was just reacting quickly and slashing. Really disappointed with that one.

watershed

Banned
I am right before the last boss fight stuff. The last dungeon was great as was everything that came after it.
I liked the mash up dungeon sky keep much better than the mash up dungeon in WW which I think was just some dungeon bosses. Those mini dungeons were really fun, condensed challenges. The Stalfos fight in particular was satisfying.
Now some story stuff:
I was so happy to see Zelda awake again but even though the game tried to make it seem like that was the end with everyone happy I knew the shit was about to hit the fan. Following other people's advice I made a copy of my save to go back and do side quests with.
I'm gonna tackle the last boss tomorrow. Amazing game and again the good far outweighs the bad. By the third dungeon all the motion controls clicked for me and now I'm just messing these bad guys up! Great fun.

AniHawk

17.5 hours in

[pre-5 spoilers]
so i'm in lanayru, and i gotta say, i think going in with low expectations for pre-4 helped a lot. i didn't mind the tear hunting quest. it was actually kinda fun, and not like phantom hourglass's dumb guard-will-kill-you thing like i was expecting. the redo of the first dungeon wasn't that bad either, and once i went into it, i remember that going into previously completed dungeons was listed as a feature in interviews. kinda wish there was more to getting around and more to the redo of the dungeon aside from killing tough enemies, but it wasn't that bad at all.

the fourth dungeon itself was pretty good. i like the whip, and i was kinda iffy on it at e310. it works well as a sort of superfast grappling hook. i don't think it's the best dungeon in a zelda, but i did like it. the boss fight started off kinda just alright

THEN, SUDDENLY

HOLY FUCK IT'S STANDING UP
HOLY FUCK IT ATTACKED ME WITH THREE ARMS AT ONCE
HOLY FUCK I CAN USE ITS WEAPON AGAINST IT
HOLY FUCK I AM EVERYTHING

yeah, that was pretty badass.

this game reminds me of majora's mask more than anything. it's probably the structure of the hub world and the abundance of character-based sidequests. the focus in this game was definitely dungeons dungeons dungeons. the surface is a big dungeon with actual dungeons being mini dungeons. [pre 4 spoilers]
and surface dungeons are revisited as well as the actual dungeons. it's hard to complain about so much of it, but i think the best solution would have been to save the tear hunting and actual dungeon repeats for sidequests. it does slow the pacing down some, but i'm not finding it to be this huge game breaking awful thing.

Ydahs

Asked this question earlier but no one responded. Anyone else getting faint horizontal scanlines? I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but it's apparent when there is a lot of white on the screen. Not a big issue, but it's just that I don't recall any official videos having the effect present.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Asked this question earlier but no one responded. Anyone else getting faint horizontal scanlines? I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but it's apparent when there is a lot of white on the screen. Not a big issue, but it's just that I don't recall any official videos having the effect present.

I get some faint scanlines but I remember seeing them in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. It's normal.

Danielsan

Meh. Still in front of the second temple. Have to find 5 key pieces. I have two but can't for the life of me find the other two. Had to call it quits.

Odd. As opposed to you, quite a few peopler experience Vertical Banding in this game(and TP and WW for some reason...)

"Vertical banding is usually used to describe specifically the vertical banding issues on LCD displays. It's caused by a difficulty in controlling the vertically controlled arrays of LCD pixels and keeping them all at the same voltages, etc. IT will vary from display to display, and is usually most visible on green, which causes itself to be seen on smooth images especially skies and the like.

Note that these will be vertical kinds of faint stripes in the image across the screen. OTher banding/contouring problems can appear on any display and in other directions because of bit-depth problems. Many LCDs have other contouring/banding problems besides VB."

For some reason Vertical Banding has been more common in recent Zelda games compared to Nintendo's other titles.

Noticable on Link's hat
gc2oq2.jpg

Vertical banding in TP

Rehynn

I have this problem too.

It pales in comparison to the occasional dead pixels courtesy of my Wii's overheated GPU.

RagnarokX

what the fuck

TADTONES?? UNDERWATER? WITH CONTROLS I DESPISE? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME??! I swear to God its like they're trying so hard to troll me.

I just did that part. It wasn't frustrating or completely uninteresting. I was surprised since people have made such a big deal about it. It was the second thing to feel like padding, and just like the first thing it wasn't as bad as people have made it out to be. Then again, people made a big deal about
the pre-dungeon 2 key hunt and the sand sea
and those were great.

Anihawk said:
this game reminds me of majora's mask more than anything. it's probably the structure of the hub world and the abundance of character-based sidequests. the focus in this game was definitely dungeons dungeons dungeons. the surface is a big dungeon with actual dungeons being mini dungeons.
This is like the best praise any game can ever get :p

Top Bottom