• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

ya know, I'm post sixth dungeon and have YET to see a Game Over screen, something I couldn't say about TP, at the very least. Never really need to upgrade potions, I rarely need them. Its all very engaging, though.

TDLink

Did the first
Silent Realm
today and really wish it was harder. I think it's an inherently fun concept, but the time limit is super forgiving.

I found the first couple pretty easy too. The third really ramps up the difficulty imo. Quite a few times where I ran out of time and had to hustle to get to another tear and just barely made it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Pre-6th dungeon now. What the fuck was with Fi spoiling something that would have felt great to figure out in the 5th dungeon? There's a visual cue that would make a perfect "aha!" moment...

I liked that dungeon a lot overall, but jesus christ. Oh, and I see that my batteries are close to dying, shut.the.hell.up.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I completed the 4th dungeon and am now in the
Sand Sea
. This game keeps getting better and better.

The Ancient Cistern was one of the more unique dungeons I've played. The bottom floor threw me for a loop when the music suddenly changed and it was very dark compared to the bright top floor. The Whip is a great item and was put to excellent uses. One of the best uses was snatching the key from a Bokoblin through iron bars.

Then there's the boss at the end. Holy shit. The first part was okay. I lost a good bit of hearts, but I still had potions. Then the second phase begin. And soon as it stood up out of the ground and each of its six hands got a sword, my jaw hit the floor. I ran around the room trying to figure out what to do. Once I figured it out, it wasn't too difficult. But man did that fight feel epic. I actually died once, but I had a fairy to revive me. That boss (Ancient Automaton Koloktos?) is easily one of my favorite Zelda bosses ever. I wonder if this game can top it.

The pre-5th dungeon parts are already great. Getting the Clawshots from the second trial surprised me. I figured it would have been the 5th dungeon item. I'm glad they stuck with the dual clawshots from TP. I'm now traversing the Sand Sea, and it is simply stunning. Driving the boat around as the sand constantly changes to water is so fucking cool. I just finished the mine cart section, which was another highlight. I wish it lasted longer and was a bit more difficult, but it was fun nonetheless.

Lingitiz

Pre-6th dungeon now. What the fuck was with Fi spoiling something that would have felt great to figure out in the 5th dungeon? There's a visual cue that would make a perfect "aha!" moment...

I liked that dungeon a lot overall, but jesus christ.
Yeah I think that's the one moment where I felt genuinely annoyed with the hand holding. I had actually figured it out a few seconds before she told me too.

Tuck

Minor spoilers. Basically just my take on the backtracking:

I actually kind of like
the silent realm
. So do my friends, who were watching me play. Its sort of eerie and has a few stressful moments. I've done two, neither were hard. But they were a neat little distraction. Were they padding? Well, yeah. But I enjoyed them at least, so I won't complain.

Going
back into the first dungeon however was not good padding however and I don't appreciate them making me do it, save for the stalfos fight,
which was pretty awesome.

Finding new areas in the forest with the swimming abilities was also quite fun
- backtracking done right, as far as I'm concerned.

MechaX

Caved in, bought the game, and played it for 4.5 hours. I actually just got finished with the first dungeon (and one minor side-quest a bit after it).

Surprisingly, I'm not having any problems with the controls so far (well, the thrust is a little bit finicky). I appreciate how it seems like everything actually does moderate damage to you, which is a far cry from how Link was fucking invincible in Twilight Princess even with like 4-6 hearts.

With that said, I did not appreciate a fetch quest shoved in right when I was like "I want to get to the first dungeon already!" about three hours into the game. I didn't even mind the long beginning, even though a lot of Zelda games had better beginnings.

Also, is Fi always so... redundant? I mean, no less than 4 times, the following happened:

*Link finds creature, a little victory jingle ensues*
Creature: "Oh, thanks for doing [x] for me, Link! As you know, you have [x number of things to find/do/etc] left to do!"
*Fi shows up*
Fi: "MASTER YOU HAVE FOUND [X] THERE IS A 87 PERCENT CHANCE THAT YOU HAVE [X number of things to find/do/etc] LEFT TO COMPLETE. I HAVE MARKED THE LOCATION OF THIS CREATURE ON YOUR MAP. PLEASE USE DOWSING."

I mean.. Jesus robo-woman, kinda late to the uptake all the time.

TheExodu5

Banned
I am happy to confirm the controls are far better with my new Bluetooth adapter. Motion plus is much more responsive now.

It's still not fantastic, but workable. I found out that the motions work a lot better if you assume the edges of the blade are on the side of the Wii remote. If you're going to strike downwards or diagonally, position your hand so that you're striking the enemy with the blade (horizontal to the Wiimote).

5th boss :O Nintendo pulled an Uncharted 3 with that. This game is much better than OoT, MM and WW. I'm not sure if it'll top TP yet, though.

People need to stop whining about Fi. My batteries have been low for over 5 hours now and she's only reminded me twice in that whole time.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Reached the part between the 3rd and 4th dungeons:
WHO THE FUCK had the bright idea to put up all the locks AGAIN in Skyview Temple?
FUUUUCK YOU

The
Silent Realm
section was tense and fun!

Reached the part between the 3rd and 4th dungeons:
WHO THE FUCK had the bright idea to put up all the locks AGAIN in Skyview Temple?
FUUUUCK YOU

The
Silent Realm
section was tense and fun!

All the locks being one lock.
If that bothered you a lot, then, oh man, you are in for the precise opposite of a treat.

I was so mad at the game that I turned it off after I saw that lock lol.

Getting the key to that lock takes just looking over a single room, and it's about half the time you'll spend in that entire section that's not
the fight
. If you unlocked the two shortcuts earlier then you pretty much run forward through three short rooms the whole time with the exception of the key.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
5th boss :O Nintendo pulled an Uncharted 3 with that. This game is much better than OoT, MM and WW. I'm not sure if it'll top TP yet, though.

People need to stop whining about Fi. My batteries have been low for over 5 hours now and she's only reminded me twice in that whole time.

She reminds you every time you start a new session, on top of the battery meter always being on screen. It's dumb as hell, and it's hard to ignore because it actually imposes on your HUD with her flashing head.

Fi has constantly been annoying. It's usually not that bad, but after that thing she said in dungeon 5 actually spoiling a great moment, fuck fi.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So uhhh, did anyone notice that the chamber that the third boss is in is basically the
Train switch wheel from Spirit Tracks if memory serves me right?

Garcia Hotspur

Neo Member
I agree, especially with guys with
electrified swords
. I know how the game wants me to attack them but it's just impossible for me. If I try to do a directional slash there's always a little angularity so I get shocked. Basically I just bomb everything and if I can't bomb it I run by.

Hit them with the
slingshot, it stuns them
, then you can kill them in one combo.

Just finished the 5th dungeon. 4th and 5th dungeon were so good.

Also I was happy to see
Tingle
in
Zelda's
room.

I was so mad at the game that I turned it off after I saw that lock lol.

The back-half of the game has a lot of, shall we say, "economizing of assets." I think they do a lot of interesting stuff with those pieces to keep it entertaining, but you might not be as amused as I was. I can easily see why people would react negatively to it. Familiarity breeds contempt, as they say.

backlot

So uhhh, did anyone notice that the chamber that the third boss is in is basically the
Train switch wheel from Spirit Tracks if memory serves me right?

I thought about that but isn't it possible that it's just
some generic train switcher?
I thought maybe I was just putting too much into it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Getting the key to that lock takes just looking over a single room, and it's about half the time you'll spend in that entire section that's not
the fight
. If you unlocked the two shortcuts earlier then you pretty much run forward through three short rooms the whole time with the exception of the key.
Thankfully I did! I will get to it tomorrow though.
The back-half of the game has a lot of, shall we say, "economizing of assets." I think they do a lot of interesting stuff with those pieces to keep it entertaining, but you might not be as amused as I was. I can easily see why people would react negatively to it. Familiarity breeds contempt, as they say.
I'm actually enjoying the backtracking of sorts. It makes the world feel like an actual environment instead of just another level. It's reminiscent of old overworlds in 2D Zeldas in terms of how secrets are slowly uncovered through new items/shortcuts, but without the "playground" feeling they used to have.

So, just gonna spoiler tag everything here..

The Fire sanctuary was just incredibly fun, loved the digging mechanic, and Ganarahims 2nd fight was fun as hell.

Just beat the 2nd form of imprisoned, what an intense fight. Is it even POSSIBLE to beat him without getting hit? Seems like you need to sacrifice yourself multiple times to actually damage him.

The whole cutscene sequence after that was holy shit stuff. Very well done. And yet I wonder why its taken 30+ hrs into the game for there to be any meaningful narrative, that actually makes you understand what the hell it is you're fighting for, and what the hell is going on. I wish cutscenes like this were more prevalent and on a regular basis. Would have helped to create more of a sense of urgency and weight, instead of 'Go to point X now to get Widget Y so you can enter Dungeon Z. The scene actually choked me up a bit, and it's a missed opportunity they don't try and use narrative emotion a bit more frequently to break things up.

Also, this game is longer that I thought it would be. I assumed I was near the end, but seems there's still a fair bit to do before I get there.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
I'm about half through
Hero Mode
. I'm enjoying the second playthrough more now that I know what cutscenes and dialogue to skip. Game is hard
er
, obviously, and I've died many times (even once in the sky, lol).

Still amazing in most every way. What faults it has are negligible in my opinion and are made up for with the fantastic combat and tight design. :)

Amir0x

Banned
I'm about half through
Hero Mode
. I'm enjoying the second playthrough more now that I know what cutscenes and dialogue to skip. Game is hard
er
, obviously, and I've died many times (even once in the sky, lol).

Still amazing in most every way. What faults it has are negligible in my opinion and are made up for with the fantastic combat and tight design. :)

wait you can skip cutscenes and dialogue in
hero mode
!? Does that include all hint related dialogue and bloat dialogue?

Gummb

So, just gonna spoiler tag everything here..

The Fire sanctuary was just incredibly fun, loved the digging mechanic, and Ganarahims 2nd fight was fun as hell.

Just beat the 2nd form of imprisoned, what an intense fight. Is it even POSSIBLE to beat him without getting hit? Seems like you need to sacrifice yourself multiple times to actually damage him.

The whole cutscene sequence after that was holy shit stuff. Very well done. And yet I wonder why its taken 30+ hrs into the game for there to be any meaningful narrative, that actually makes you understand what the hell it is you're fighting for, and what the hell is going on. I wish cutscenes like this were more prevalent and on a regular basis. Would have helped to create more of a sense of urgency and weight, instead of 'Go to point X now to get Widget Y so you can enter Dungeon Z. The scene actually choked me up a bit, and it's a missed opportunity they don't try and use narrative emotion a bit more frequently to break things up.

Also, this game is longer that I thought it would be. I assumed I was near the end, but seems there's still a fair bit to do before I get there.
Yeah, you have a while left. You're entering the area I call gameplay fatigue area -- make sure to take breaks or you may get frustrated that the game just isn't ending, haha.

I agree with you about the story, they needed to spread it out a bit more. However, they use it constantly to help motivate you through until the end. Good luck and have fun! The final sections are among the best in Zelda's history! :D

Well, I disliked it at least. I don't think there was ever a 3D Zelda dungeon as simple and short as that one.

haha I feel a bit silly that it took me a while. God damn fi explains everything
besides the fact that there might be little cracks in the walls around here!

Gummb

wait you can skip cutscenes and dialogue in
hero mode
!? Does that include all hint related dialogue and bloat dialogue?
you can skip cutscenes, yes (press 2). However, you must still suffer through normal dialogue, but I just hold down "a" and talk to my friend, haha.

I really wish they allowed the option to speed up text. You will probably like the game better in
hero mode. It's intense so often, and I now rely
on upgrading my potions. Plus, upgrading my shield is
almost a necessity, especially since you keep all your bugs and materials from your first play through

Just finished the first dungeon. Holy crap, the beetle is fun. haha

Really enjoying it so far.

Best item in the game. You use it all the time. Use it even when you think you can't and you'll find hidden stuff, scout ahead, and even solve puzzles out of order. Such a well integrated item throughout the game, and it controls nearly perfectly. <3

Red

My only problem with the beetle is I wish it moved a bit faster by default. It's a great item though. Zelda's Metroid II spider ball.

Just finished
resealing the Imprisoned. Trying to figure out where to get paper for the bathroom person. Tried taking down maps on walls, looking through book shelves, reading all the posters, and mashing A while running past every desk and table in Skyloft. No luck. I really get annoyed by these types of quests, where the game operates on a very specific kind of internal logic. That's one of the reasons I get bored easily by point and click games. Not a fan of finding the illogical thing that works, or stumbling onto a solution only by exhausting all other sensible options.

I prefer dungeon 2 to dungeon 3. It was more engaging visually and had a better theme, even if it was more dumb straightforward.

I was really, really impressed by its design. The Bali-esque masks and dragons were beautiful to look at, and it's the most fascinating Zelda dungeon from a visual standpoint that I've ever seen.

Also, Scaldera was a billion times better than Moldarach.

The instrument in this game is a neat concept, and I like the region-specific themes, but fuck it's the most cumbersome thing to use outside of the pan flute from Spirit Tracks. I might like it more if the first song didn't take so long to initialize. I don't know if it was me or the m+ tweaking out, but Link's arm kept stuttering, missing strokes or slowing down and then suddenly catching up to where I had actually moved.

I find that just swaying the tip of the wiimote works better than physically moving the entire thing, as the tutorial says to do.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
This game is so awesome, just past dungeon 3 and I guess this is where the story starts to unfold more. Groose is pretty awesome btw.

My only problem with the beetle is I wish it moved a bit faster by default. It's a great item though. Zelda's Metroid II spider ball.

Just finished
resealing the Imprisoned. Trying to figure out where to get paper for the bathroom person. Tried taking down maps on walls, looking through book shelves, reading all the posters, and mashing A while running past every desk and table in Skyloft. No luck. I really get annoyed by these types of quests, where the game operates on a very specific kind of internal logic. That's one of the reasons I get bored easily by point and click games. Not a fan of finding the illogical thing that works, or stumbling onto a solution only by exhausting all other sensible options.
Just go near the bathroom during the day, an NPC has a sidequest available.

Red

Just go near the bathroom during the day, an NPC has a sidequest available.
Do I have to
first talk to the toilet person? Because I've already talked to the old woman in the kitchen and some guy in the bazaar who mentioned a woman crying. Plus there's Karane never taking a shower, which I'm guessing is somehow related. Is there another person I've missed?

Oh my god you can turn the bug net around

Any tips for
breaking the fucking targets with the loftwing? Cant believe that after 40+ hrs I still can't control the bird worth shit. So fucking frustrating. I'm getting like 4 targets now and can't see myself getting 10. There's just no consistency, accuracy, or precision with the flight.

Any tips for
breaking the fucking targets with the loftwing? Cant believe that after 40+ hrs I still can't control the bird worth shit. So fucking frustrating. I'm getting like 4 targets now and can't see myself getting 10. There's just no consistency, accuracy, or precision with the flight.

Just... just aim at them. Dude, they even give you more than you need.

Do I have to
first talk to the toilet person? Because I've already talked to the old woman in the kitchen and some guy in the bazaar who mentioned a woman crying. Plus there's Karane never taking a shower, which I'm guessing is somehow related. Is there another person I've missed?

Oh my god you can turn the bug net around

Yes, you have to go near the bathroom at night and actually talk to the toilet person, and then a person will appear outside the bathroom/next to the front door during the day with a related quest. The Karane never taking a shower is actually related to something totally different.

Kard8p3

Done with this. This will seriouslygo down as not only as the worst zelda game by a margin but my largest disappointment this year.

I can not tolerate having to wait six years for a. Elda game that sends me off on fetch quests to get in dungeons. I want to be warped in a world. Had this game ha me interacting or focused on more character, i would have had some motivation. Instead, the first three hours had me playing hide and seek with Popples in a bland forest and never lets up on that formula for the next 20 hours.

I'm going to blame Miyamato for this knowing he asked That the text in this game be pulled back. I can not believe how barren this game feels. As a huge zelda fan who went in media blackout and stood in line to pick this up, I am baffled beyond belief.

Opposite for me. With the exception of a couple parts I had no problem at all with the game. Going down as one of the better Zelda games for me.

Red

Yes, you have to go near the bathroom at night and actually talk to the toilet person, and then a person will appear outside the bathroom/next to the front door during the day with a related quest. The Karane never taking a shower is actually related to something totally different.

Okay. Thanks for the help.

I just wish that the person in there was not a liar

"Any kind of paper will do!" No, it obviously won't.

GCX

I'm going to blame Miyamato for this knowing he asked That the text in this game be pulled back. I can not believe how barren this game feels. As a huge zelda fan who went in media blackout and stood in line to pick this up, I am baffled beyond belief.
Poor Miyamoto, going by GAF posts he's personally responsible for every bad gameplay decision Nintendo has ever made.

I am only just passed the first dungeon and have explored the sky.

My early impression so far is that this is the best game I have played in several years! In fact, it is so good that I have yet to open my copy of Super Mario Land!

I love the graphics and art style, the game feels like a painting at times.

The controls are excellent and work as advertised.

The world strikes a nice balance between exportation and offering a properly tailored experience.

The characters are also charming and the dialogue funny.

Currently shaping up to be my favorite Zelda since A Link to the Past.

I hope the rest of NeoGaf is enjoying this game as much as I am.

(p.s they really should have skippable dialogue, at the very least, when you read a conversation for a second time).

I'm glad you're enjoying the game so much, but it dumbfounds me how someone can say this is the best game they've played in several years after only the 1st dungeon... really? It's just tough to swallow, because for me, that is the absolute worst part of the game.

You didn't laugh and if you think that's "laugh out loud" funny, you may want to pop in a George Carlin standup from time to time and broaden your horizon. I'm sorry our experiences contradict with one another and you took offense. In case you haven't been paying attention, I am not the only one here who dislikes this game and I can guarantee you I won't be the last.

You said it uses the hide and seek formula for 20 hours.

GCX

You didn't laugh and if you think that's "laugh out loud" funny, you may want to pop in a George Carlin standup from time to time and broaden your horizon. I'm sorry our experiences contradict with one another and you took offense. In case you haven't been paying attention, I am not the only one here who dislikes this game and I can guarantee you I won't be the last.
Many people don't like the game too much, but there are also MANY people loving it. The game divides opinions and it won't be the last Zelda to do so.

At this point Zelda fans have so vastly different views about where te series should head next that we won't probably ever see total universal praise for a Zelda game again.

Red

You know, I have been known to be a Nintendo apologist from time to time myself but when people act like everything Nintendo everything Nintendo touches is gold and feel the need to defend their every move, it gets utterly ridiculous.
Are you saying that if someone does not find Skyward Sword terrible, they are a Nintendo apologist?

Ok, I am 100% you have not touched this game.

Faron creatures, 5 pieces of keys, generators, relics, tears...

Please do not pretend this game doesn't send you off on mindless fetch quests that do absolutely nothing to move the story or lore forward but instead, kill the pace.

I'm past the third Temple and these fetch quests are staples of the series and I really don't focus on them like you do.

Many are done with certain intentions I suspect too like finding those lil guys, to get you used to the surroundings and combat and game.

At best, they are amusing diversions for me.

At worst, they are a means to an end and the meat of the game and I am fine with this because they've always been in the series, I am not shocked in dismay that they are back.

What I remember so far is Temple 3 and even 2.

I heard Temple 4 and 5 are great too, I can't wait...

Keep in mind though, my posts are the result of moneyhats.

Top Bottom