• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

WhyMe6

This game is absolutely wonderful. My only complaint so far is that you can't run and slash ala Twilight Princess. It's hugely disappointing IMO ;_;

I'm not really sure how anyone could say that the game has too much hand-holding. I've just finished the second temple and there really hasn't been any hand-holding at all since the tutorial. Hell, I've been stuck two or three times. It's been great!

I guess you could call the dowsing "hand-holding", but that's entirely optional and I haven't used it at all so far.

This game can definitely not be played sitting down.

Get your arse up out of the seat for fu*k's sake!

I play this game lying down on my stomach and the controls have never faltered for me >_>

ASIS

This game is absolutely wonderful. My only complaint so far is that you can't run and slash ala Twilight Princess. It's hugely disappointing IMO ;_;

I'm not really sure how anyone could say that the game has too much hand-holding. I've just finished the second temple and there really hasn't been any hand-holding at all since the tutorial. Hell, I've been stuck two or three times. It's been great!

I guess you could call the dowsing "hand-holding", but that's entirely optional and I haven't used it at all so far.

I'm not sure what everyone's beef is with dowsing. It's literally like an optional real time compass. That's it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I'm not sure what everyone's beef is with dowsing. It's literally like an optional real time compass. That's it.
But the icon flashes so it means the game wants me to use it and I can't just open and close it and ignore it.
Serious answer: most of the time you can ignore it completely. On rare occasions, it can actually be helpful.

Playing this game is just pure joy for me. There are parts where Link does something that I didn't want him to do (jump into lava/etc), but it's more my fault than the game's fault.

I love the motion controls now that I figured it out, I wasn't keeping my wrist stiff so it was real easy to do a diagonal when I wanted horizontal or a horizontal when I wanted a poke.

The watercolorish graphics are beautiful, character designs are awesome too.

wrowa

The trials are the most infuriating and stressful parts of the game. I just finished the last one and I kind of want to fly over to Japan and punch Shigeru in the face and when he gets up I'll say "It looks like you've failed the trial. You can retry as many times as you want." Then I'd punch him again, repeat it and fly back to the US.

I liked the trials.

The only reason I doesn't love them, is because they are way too fucking easy.

In other words: Nintendo should just cancel the whole series once and for all, the fanbase won't be able to agree on anything ever again. :p

Garcia

I loved the first post-6th fetch quest trial! Very charming. Finally had the perfect excuse to stock up on Blue Potions+.

Also, holy shit at
the surprise boss in the middle of the sky, don't remember its name since I'm about to fall asleep
. I barely survived thanks to a Miracle Potion+ I had in my Pouch. Thrilling battle!

ASIS

I loved the first post-6th fetch quest trial! Very charming. Finally had the perfect excuse to stock up on Blue Potions+.

Also, holy shit at
the surprise boss in the middle of the sky, don't remember its name since I'm about to fall asleep
. I barely survived thanks to a Miracle Potion+ I had in my Pouch. Thrilling battle!

Woohoo! Another one! Join the club :).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
HA HA HA! I found him at last, the great Tingle! I knew they couldn't resist popping in a little reference to him.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Flying through ten targets in the sky after overcoming insurmountable evil because Owlan is a COMPLETE JERK has ruined the game for me 0/10 fuck this game pass rent for fans only goodnight

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Finished it. When its good its great, but theres too much in the way of that. I'd say 2 dungeons in the game are genius level (Dungeon 4 and to a lesser extent but still clever, 5) and thats the one area Aonuma and crew can't be beat, but for everything else Zelda is no longer anywhere near to being an industry leading game to be looked up to. Its been left behind by its peers in all other areas.

All the shoehorned in motion controls also hurt the game. Back to glorious buttons next time, no choice with that controller slab.

Sadist

Bwah pre-fourth dungeon, I'm stuck:

Have to find the propeller (allready talked to the guy who fixed a robot to assist Link) but I have no idea where to look in Faron Woods. Dowsing doesn't pick anything

wrowa

Bwah pre-fourth dungeon, I'm stuck:

Have to find the propeller (allready talked to the guy who fixed a robot to assist Link) but I have no idea where to look in Faron Woods. Dowsing doesn't pick anything

Because it's not in the woods.
It's in Eldin. IIRC it's near the entrance to the first dungeon; in that bomb field where you can destroy a tower with bomb bowling

did the
farore's trial of courage thing
before dungeon 4. holy shit that was intense.
it gets so tense when your time limit runs out. my last tear was on top of that floating island and when i jumped down, i landed on the water and suddenly all of these mofos started to chase me. one got SO CLOSE to striking me and i just barely made it since my stamina got low. once it got full..i just fuckin bolted man

scared the crap outta me

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Flying through ten targets in the sky after overcoming insurmountable evil because Owlan is a COMPLETE JERK has ruined the game for me 0/10 fuck this game pass rent for fans only goodnight

What's so hard about smashing those targets? As soon as I realized there are more of them than you need to get (if I remember correctly you only need to get a single moving target) it was very easy.

Red

Rolling them is by far the most uncomfortable thing in the game. Throwing them is simple, but you have to point the remote so low down that if you're reclining on the sofa it becomes difficult to do the motion without returning to the neutral stance.
Rolling them is fine. Same as throwing, Link readies them when your hand is not very far from horizontal. Never had to point straight at the ground or anything.

Always honest, what would you need a shield for? As long as you're moderately quick he can't even touch you.

zoukka

Fourth dungeon was a cakewalk. I am now certain that SS has the easiest and most linear dungeons in the series. The boss was epic, but again very easy.

I really like the expanding pre-dungeon areas.

Also the
whip
was a sad item. I fully expected it to work like
the hookshot... what the hell Nintendo.

Before i try again tonight:

Can you beat the first boss without a Shield?
I tried 3 times, and i GUESS you can, but i don't want to try in vain...

Absolutely, I died once to him and simply used dodges instead. The battle took a bit longer, but it's definitely doable. Just time your slashes and watch the cues to dodge the big attacks.

wrowa

Fourth dungeon was a cakewalk. I am now certain that SS has the easiest and most linear dungeons in the series. The boss was epic, but again very easy.

I really like the expanding pre-dungeon areas.

Also the
whip
was a sad item. I fully expected it to work like
the hookshot... what the hell Nintendo.

I agree with the
whip
. It's a cool idea, but it's rather useless :/ I can't think of any puzzles in the game right now where it was used cleverly. The weakest item of the game imo.

Okay, I think I'm very close to the end of the game - Just one thing:

The Imprisoned
in all his different variations is probably the worst boss fight ever. And I don't mean in the Zelda series, I mean of all games ever in gaming history.

It's frustrating, the physics aren't working properly (I just jumped on his head, slid down near his arm and fell through his arm because that part of the model doesn't have a collider on it), sometimes you land on him just fine but then he kicks you off his back, the actual way to beat him is no fun at all, etc. - I can understand that Nintendo wanted to make Boss Battles a bit more epic and copy some stuff from Shadow of the Colossus, but this is just a horrible design FAIL in so many ways.

Worst. Bossfight. Ever.

Salih

What other things can you draw on those
special hyrule walls:

circle - you get bombs
Triforce - you get 3 fairies

The
Imprisoned in all his different variations is probably the
worst boss fight ever. And I don't mean in the Zelda series, I mean of all games ever in gaming history.

It's frustrating, the physics aren't working properly (
I just jumped on his head, slid down near his arm and fell through his arm because that part of the model doesn't have a collider on it), sometimes you land on him just fine but then he kicks you off his back, the actual way to beat him is no fun at all, etc.
- I can understand that Nintendo wanted to make Boss Battles a bit more epic and copy some stuff from Shadow of the Colossus, but this is just a horrible design FAIL in so many ways.

Worst. Bossfight. Ever.
Come on man, spoiler that shit.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What other things can you draw on those
special hyrule walls:

circle - you get bombs
Triforce - you get 3 fairies

heart - you get hearts
rupee - you get rupees
arrow - you get arrows

Those are the ones I know about, not sure if there are more.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Haveing aming issues.

Why didn't Nintendo use the IR(?) from the wiimote? I aim a little left and the retical(sp) jumps. Sword fighting and flying are fine

Mael

And just when I think I'm reaching the 5th dungeon, my Wii decided that reading disk is overated.....................................
lmeskwjqdù`Dù<LI <
I AM THIS CLOSE TO JUST RESELL EVERY FUCKING THING I HAVE ON THIS AND BE FUCKING DONE WITH IT

wrowa

Haveing aming issues.

Why didn't Nintendo use the IR(?) from the wiimote? I aim a little left and the retical(sp) jumps. Sword fighting and flying are fine

After a little getting used to, I found the gyro pointing superior to IR pointing to be honest. It's not as fast, but it's less jumpy and since one doesn't have to point in the direction of the TV/sensorbar at all it's more comfortable to use too.

The IR pointing contols always have been the single great thing of the (original) Wiimote controls. I feel like my Wii experience has been a lie now. :lol

Dascu

The Imprisoned in all his different variations is probably the worst boss fight ever. And I don't mean in the Zelda series, I mean of all games ever in gaming history.

It's frustrating, the physics aren't working properly (I just jumped on his head, slid down near his arm and fell through his arm because that part of the model doesn't have a collider on it), sometimes you land on him just fine but then he kicks you off his back, the actual way to beat him is no fun at all, etc. - I can understand that Nintendo wanted to make Boss Battles a bit more epic and copy some stuff from Shadow of the Colossus, but this is just a horrible design FAIL in so many ways.

Worst. Bossfight. Ever.
You're aware that you need to stun him first, with Groose's cannon, before you land on his back, right?

Amir0x

Banned
And just when I think I'm reaching the 5th dungeon, my Wii decided that reading disk is overated.....................................
lmeskwjqdù`Dù<LI <
I AM THIS CLOSE TO JUST RESELL EVERY FUCKING THING I HAVE ON THIS AND BE FUCKING DONE WITH IT

it's weird... I'm thinking of selling my Wii now. Because I guess this is really IT for the system, isn't it? Like, I can't possibly miss out on any games, can I? There's nothing left coming out for Wii. Skyward Sword capped it.

I can't say I'll miss the thing, the only thing holding me up is the massive amount of downloads tied to my Wii. I am really hesitant to dump it knowing that there's likely to be no quality way to connect the account to your Wii U and move your downloads over..

Garcia

The Imprisoned in all his different variations is probably the worst boss fight ever. And I don't mean in the Zelda series, I mean of all games ever in gaming history.

Worst. Bossfight. Ever.

I don't understand how impossibly difficult this game can be for some out there. I had absolutely no problems with the game and I've enjoyed all the encounters against that boss so far. Maybe there's another light source in your room or stuff life that? I would infuriate as well if some unknown agent was getting in between the stochasticity of the Wii Motion and my commands.

Further impressions will come in much later.

But I'm liking what I've played so far.

I'm getting ready to head back to the woods thingy to get the extra power stuff from within or something.

Was I supposed to be reading the story stuff?

Chao

Worst. Bossfight. Ever.

When I realized I had to fight him
a THIRD fucking time
I literally went
9a5nxs.gif

What were they thinking? I wasted too much time the previous
two fights
, why another one? It's not only the times you fight it, the whole design is total shit.
You get stuck because its body won't let you get through and you have to get down one level, run like mad to find one of those geyser things and hope the bastard doesn't get up before you can manage to get close to him again because you will have to cut its fucking toes again (which is not a very fun thing to do either). If you try to fly and land on his head it won't work most of the time because of the crappy collision detection. Fuck this boss and the guy who put it in the game.

Mael

it's weird... I'm thinking of selling my Wii now. Because I guess this is really IT for the system, isn't it? Like, I can't possibly miss out on any games, can I? There's nothing left coming out for Wii. Skyward Sword capped it.

I can't say I'll miss the thing, the only thing holding me up is the massive amount of downloads tied to my Wii. I am really hesitant to dump it knowing that there's likely to be no quality way to connect the account to your Wii U and move your downloads over..

They did allow the moving of stuffs from DSi to 3DS so all hope is not lost here.
It's the 2nd problem I have with it (first was the fucking ssbb problem).

So far I have quite an impressive backlog but I'm certainly not willing to get a new Wii since they're the sucky GC less consoles now and I'm not starting ssbb all over again.
I don't want to use Nintendo's services since they won't move the save files anyway.

I had Last Story planned for next year as well as the latest Kirby but I guess that's really it.
I don't think I'll ever trust them on a home console again, if It breaks now in 10 years we'll have a huge piles of useless junks.
The good thing is since it's not hard to take good care of the games I can probably offload the whole for quite a few coins.

That or I can mod it....

Garcia

Further impressions will come in much later.

But I'm liking what I've played so far.

I'm getting ready to head back to the woods thingy to get the extra power stuff from within or something.

Was I supposed to be reading the story stuff?

Well, that's pretty much impossible to miss thanks to the characteristic unskippable/Zelda-speed dialogues (which they HAVE to fix, ASAP, it'sreally tiring to sit through 5 seconds of dialogue every time I want to do the very same thing one after the other. Some of you might say "It's just 5 seconds dude..." but add them up together and they become a lot of time wasted due to bad design.

It's been three days since I've last played this and I have no desire to go back.

It fucking sucks feeling like this about a Zelda game, especially after a five year wait.

:(

Well, that's pretty much impossible to miss thanks to the characteristic unskippable/Zelda-speed dialogues (which they HAVE to fix, ASAP, it'sreally tiring to sit through 5 seconds of dialogue every time I want to do the very same thing one after the other. Some of you might say "It's just 5 seconds dude..." but add them up together and they become a lot of time wasted due to bad design.

Then why I don't remember anything huh?!

Mael

It's been three days since I've last played this and I have no desire to go back.

It fucking sucks feeling like this about a Zelda game, especially after a five year wait.

:(

Believe me it could be worse.
My GC officially outlasted my Wii..........................Nothing beats having paid good money to be left with a coaster...

NewFresh

But... Rhythm Heaven FEVER!

I think that is honestly it according to this list of games being released by Nintendo. I am keeping my Wii around mainly for backlog of games I have yet to play and the hopes that they will create a transfer utility à la DSi-->3DS for the Wii.

Absolutely, I died once to him and simply used dodges instead. The battle took a bit longer, but it's definitely doable. Just time your slashes and watch the cues to dodge the big attacks.

Okay thanx. I thought i could, and i even thought i was close. But i wasn't sure.

I didn't even think to use the shield and I got through haha

Yeah never thought i needed it either, but he's got a running attack that's hard to dodge. If i stay close to him i don't think he's able to do that attack. I'm gonna fuck him up tonight ;
P

i hope.

All y'all's negativity is depressing.

Here's my honest opinion:

The controls take some getting used to. I don't notice them anymore.
The graphics are a bit odd. Not anything too obtrusive to bother.
The bosses of the 1st, 4th and 5th temples are awesome.
Lanayru is awesome. Ancient Ciscern is awesome. Sandship is awesome.
The Silent Realms are an exciting, fresh take on a decent idea.
The combat is REFRESHING! TWW and TP were too easy, and that made them significantly worse games overall.

I would LOVE to go back and play it now. I have my family's TG ritual today, but after that, Zelda for the next 3 days straight! Looking forward to it.

Here's my honest opinion:

The controls take some getting used to. I don't notice them anymore.
The graphics are a bit odd. Not anything too obtrusive to bother.
The bosses of the 1st, 4th and 5th temples are awesome.
Lanayru is awesome. Ancient Ciscern is awesome. Sandship is awesome.
The Silent Realms are an exciting, fresh take on a decent idea.
The combat is REFRESHING! TWW and TP were too easy, and that made them significantly worse games overall.

I would LOVE to go back and play it now. I have my family's TG ritual today, but after that, Zelda for the next 3 days straight! Looking forward to it.

Hell i'm only on the first boss and i allready like it more than TP..

Davey Cakes

I'm glad you're enjoying the game so much, but it dumbfounds me how someone can say this is the best game they've played in several years after only the 1st dungeon... really? It's just tough to swallow, because for me, that is the absolute worst part of the game.
The first dungeon itself, or everything leading up into the dungeon?

Because, I only just got to the first temple, and thus far I haven't really been blown away by anything in the game, but I have really enjoyed the build up and I've found the Faron Woods area to be a fun area to traverse. If it only gets better from this point on then I have a lot to look forward to.

You really shouldn't pay too much attention to it. Peoples' opinions of the game are all over the place. Seriously, there are some posts in here saying SS is the worst Zelda game they've ever played. And for every post saying that one game mechanic is bad, there are several saying that the same mechanic is good, and vice versa.

This is going to go down as one of the best (but most divisive) games this year and one of the top Wii games, likely. But you'll only depress yourself if you look through every comment and focus too much on problems that people have with the game. Then again, this can be said with any game, really. So, less reading and more playing!

jonno394

Post Dungeon 6 Spoilers

I don't know where all the complains have come from regarding teh post 6 activities
Flooded Faron Woods
was great. I really like the swimming controls and it didn't take me too long to
get all the tadnotes
. The
Stealth section
in the Eldin area was a nice break from the regular pacing and i'm not one to disagree with
more time stone fun
in the Lanayru province.

Finally, the
Skyloft Silent Realm
was great.

Top Bottom