• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

i love how the bees think they're such hot shit, attacking me in a large swarm.....until i take out the bug net and capture half of them at once and the rest start to run away. whos the fucking man now, bees??

That's true. When fighting the electric-sword bokoblins, for example, sometimes you can get the jump on them with a quick waggle, but usually it's best to wait for your favored angle to open up.

FUCK THOSE GUYS. probably the only enemy so far i go out of my way to avoid now. wasted so many potions in the pre-dungeon 3 area :mad:

I just started this game last night. I have no opinion on the game yet, but I just wanted to say I spent like 30 minutes stuck at the very first puzzle in the very first temple
where you have to make the eye dizzy. I kept trying to hit it with the Skyward Strike
. Should I be embarrassed?

I'm still trying to get used to the combat. I think it's because my room is small so I have to stand close, but it feels like Link doesn't slash the way I want him to 100% of the time. It makes fights with monsters that can block take longer than I'm used to Zelda fights taking.

Also, my foot hurts from standing so long. I'm so unfit... :(

one thing that helped me is remembering that to make vertical strikes, keep the remote straight then slash down. i always turn it sideways out of habit and ended up doing sideway slashes but after i became conscious of it, it became a lot smoother

and dude, i LOVED that puzzle. took me like a good 20 minutes and i started to get frustrated. but when i figured it out...man.. thats when i knew this game was gonna be magic lol

I just started this game last night. I have no opinion on the game yet, but I just wanted to say I spent like 30 minutes stuck at the very first puzzle in the very first temple
where you have to make the eye dizzy. I kept trying to hit it with the Skyward Strike

I'm still trying to get used to the combat. I think it's because my room is small so I have to stand close, but it feels like Link doesn't slash the way I want him to 100% of the time. It makes fights with monsters that can block take longer than I'm used to Zelda fights taking.

You don't have to stand.....

I'd also make sure to keep on eye on where the sword is before you swing. I'd reccomend that at first to take combat slower and think at least for the first section to get the hand of things.

FUCK THOSE GUYS. probably the only enemy so far i go out of my way to avoid now. wasted so many potions in the pre-dungeon 3 area :mad:
I didn't have a big issue with those guys but I'm pretty embarassed to admit I was killed by a bunch(6-8) of electric Chu-Chus in a pre-5th dungeon area..

Nah, I think the main reason I knew what to do there was that I saw that in one of the early demos(I didn't watch much footage of the game at all though).

Not sure had I not had that implanted in my brain whether I would have instinctually done it right away.

However, with many other puzzles in the game, it's so awesome as I have several times figured out what to do without experimenting, makes me appreciate the game more when you think "maybe I am supposed to do this" and it works.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's

You stand while playing? You don't have to do the full slash man.

ASIS

Does anyone else think they'd like the equivalent of a "dungeon crawler" Zelda? I guess this would be more akin to Zelda 1 or something...I want one town and then puzzle dungeons where I just go from one to the next. No dousing, no tears of light, no collecting, no sidequests. Just puzzle rooms with items. I guess you don't even need the town. But you could go back to town to buy items for the next dungeon.

That's sort of how I feel Ocarina is. Not entirely, for sure. But mostly. Has no real need for a town, but even though I just played it I feel like you can string a good 2 or 3 dungeons together at a time without too much futzing. The pre-dungeons for 1 and 2 were putrid. 3 is interesting though.

I also wanted to point this out before, not sure why I didn't..

Anyway, it seems to me that the people who are getting annoyed by the "padding" just want the dungeon after the dungeon after the dungeon style of play. They consider the dungeons to be the core part of Zelda, and who's to say they're wrong actually?

But the tears of light, for instance, were an excellent change of pace for me. It felt like progression whereas others would have seen it as tool to hold the player back just to increase the clock count. Another one is the infamous
Flooded faron woods, I absolutely LOVED this section because it was also a change of pace. Everything calmed down, no enemies to fight, no puzzles to solve. The place was peaceful and full of NPC's, the objective wasn't difficult, it was just searching and exploring a familiar place but in a different situation. I've always wanted a huge body of water where the objective is to just explore it, nothing else. To my surprise it was actually here! The fact that they chose to do it in the woods rather than a lake (which was right beside it) was a very creative decision ont their part. I just loved that part really
. Others have, and will surely see this as the game's low point because it's slowing them down from the main objective as well as the pace in general.

I knew this would be have an MM feel to it once I realized this, add the fact that there is no traditional overworld, and sprinkle the motion controls on top. And no wonder you have a polarizing Zelda at your hand.

Thank god I'm actually one of the people who enjoyed this title.

Duki

Banned

i did the same fuckin thing, that puzzle is some bullshit lateral thinking right there

AniHawk

Does anyone else think they'd like the equivalent of a "dungeon crawler" Zelda? I guess this would be more akin to Zelda 1 or something...I want one town and then puzzle dungeons where I just go from one to the next. No dousing, no tears of light, no collecting, no sidequests. Just puzzle rooms with items. I guess you don't even need the town. But you could go back to town to buy items for the next dungeon.

That's sort of how I feel Ocarina is. Not entirely, for sure. But mostly. Has no real need for a town, but even though I just played it I feel like you can string a good 2 or 3 dungeons together at a time without too much futzing. The pre-dungeons for 1 and 2 were putrid. 3 is interesting though.

i had an idea for a legend of zelda game when i was a teenager, and skyward sword turned out to be almost exactly it.

now the zelda i want is: link wakes up in a dungeon for some reason. this is the first dungeon in the game, and you don't even have a sword. maybe there will be some npc who guides you, but indirectly (you see them use a key to go through a door and it locks behind them). builds some mystery and a reason to want to explore. once you're out of the dungeon, you enter into a forest (so, the opposite of the last four console zeldas), and there's no idea where to go. wandering forward on your own, you can come across towns, caves, enemies (maybe supertough ones that would be near impossible to beat with your current arsenal), and areas made inaccessible by the current geography. the design of the overworld points you to certain areas, and places like towns give you hints on where to go next if you are truly lost.

i started thinking that what might be cool is if the story was being told in the dungeons themselves, and i realized i was starting to describe link's awakening. so basically, give the zelda series to koizumi and let him make this thing.

i had an idea for a legend of zelda game when i was a teenager, and skyward sword turned out to be almost exactly it.

now the zelda i want is: link wakes up in a dungeon for some reason. this is the first dungeon in the game, and you don't even have a sword. maybe there will be some npc who guides you, but indirectly (you see them use a key to go through a door and it locks behind them). builds some mystery and a reason to want to explore. once you're out of the dungeon, you enter into a forest (so, the opposite of the last four console zeldas), and there's no idea where to go. wandering forward on your own, you can come across towns, caves, enemies (maybe supertough ones that would be near impossible to beat with your current arsenal), and areas made inaccessible by the current geography. the design of the overworld points you to certain areas, and places like towns give you hints on where to go next if you are truly lost.

i started thinking that what might be cool is if the story was being told in the dungeons themselves, and i realized i was starting to describe link's awakening. so basically, give the zelda series to koizumi and let him make this thing.

And then Link recovers from his amnesia and realizes that he was the True Monster all along.

Also yes I wouldn't mind if Koizumi got the game again. Somehow I get the feeling from interviews that he probably has tons of ideas, both gameplay and story based, for Zelda that he would absolutely love to use.

Muskweeto

I would love it if they made a sequel to Skyward Sword on the Wii using the same engine and controls. Just a bare-bones Zelda game like Zelda 1, it could take place not long after Skyward Sword and just be about exploring new areas on the surface which would be a good reason for the land to be so dangerous and old ruins and dungeons could be scattered throughout the land. I would love that.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
This is my favorite Zelda so far, I just finished the 6th dungeon and the story bits. The way the areas are structured are just amazing. It feels amazing exploring the different areas and it feeling like a puzzle and dungeon in and of itself. The 3rd, 4th and 5th dungeon for me are the highlights of the game. Again I haven't finished the game but the amount of surprises and genuine new gameplay mechanics constantly thrown at you is superb.

For me this is the best Zelda yet. However, I see many areas in which this game could easily be improved and a far superior sequel appear(think SMG to SMG2).
*latch*

I agree that there are many areas that could improve, but the parts that are usually unique to each Zelda -- dungeons -- are the best here in Skyward Sword. The third dungeon is fantastic, the 4th is one thematic art piece from start to finish, and the 5th is a fun ride from pre-dungeon through to the boss. You'll really enjoy the final dungeon to final boss. :)

I also think that because the Zelda team seems to almost restart each Zelda, some of these issues we discuss may never be completely resolved. I hope so, though.

RagnarokX

She never did that for me in the 5th dungeon. Idk why she has come out for some people but I saw her icon flash for that specific puzzle that people are talking about that she ruined but I never hit it so she didn't ruin the puzzle. It also to me was fairly common sense. Idk why people thought it was an amazing puzzle when it seemed pretty obvious since the light was shinning through. Although she did get slightly annoying because I guess I did a section of the dungeon out of order and so she kept coming out and saying 'how about you go here and do this instead?'

The only puzzle she 'ruined' was pre-3rd dungeon the
Generator puzzle. I looked at the symbols and thought it looked close to my map so I figured that's how you solve it so I exited the screen to look at my map and Fi pops up and explains the puzzle for me.

She never did that for me. I saw her icon flash and her beep three times but I ignored it and figured it out in 10 seconds anyway due to the subtle(kinda) visuals clues.
Huh... she never spoiled that puzzled for me. I kinda figured the solution out
as I was going to the generators since they were arranged around a circle on the map so I did that as soon as I got back to the main dial.
Maybe if I took longer she would have?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm so tolerant of the things this game does that should be baffling because I just don't play many games like this. Most everything else I've played this year is very clearly riding the current 2011 trend wave to varying degrees, whereas this feels like it was built in a bubble. That's no a good thing. But it makes the whole a experience a bit more memorable. I'm really enjoying myself.

Jzero

When i got the
Hylian Shield
i couldn't stop staring at it, it looked so awesome compared to the other ones.

The Lamp

We gotta be careful what we say I suppose, didn't Miyamoto say if this wasn't the best Zelda ever that he'd stop making Zelda? xDD

There are a couple of things in here that I'm surprised 5 years of development time didn't iron out, though. I guess they made some dramatic turns in focus throughout development.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Huh... she never spoiled that puzzled for me. I kinda figured the solution out
as I was going to the generators since they were arranged around a circle on the map so I did that as soon as I got back to the main dial.
Maybe if I took longer she would have?

If you make a wrong move, even once, she tells you what to do.

AniHawk

And then Link recovers from his amnesia and realizes that he was the True Monster all along.

and then the credits loop for fifteen minutes playing lost woods from oot.

Also yes I wouldn't mind if Koizumi got the game again. Somehow I get the feeling from interviews that he probably has tons of ideas, both gameplay and story based, for Zelda that he would absolutely love to use.

i really like aonuma, but i've grown so used to his and his team's style of design and thinking that it makes puzzles that are difficult for newcomers pretty simple for me to solve. it's like calculus- it's challenging if you jump right into it, but if you go through algebra, then geometry, then algebra ii and trig, then you're going to be used to what's expected to solve the problems, even if some of it is new to you. koizumi would be nice just because i've only played his platformers recently, and he never was in charge of a 3d zelda. the unfamiliarity alone would be welcome.

frequency

one thing that helped me is remembering that to make vertical strikes, keep the remote straight then slash down. i always turn it sideways out of habit and ended up doing sideway slashes but after i became conscious of it, it became a lot smoother

and dude, i LOVED that puzzle. took me like a good 20 minutes and i started to get frustrated. but when i figured it out...man.. thats when i knew this game was gonna be magic lol
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with my swings, but I'll keep that in mind. Maybe I am turning it without thinking about it.

I liked that puzzle. I totally didn't expect to be stumped on the very first puzzle. It was very humbling.
At one point I thought maybe I missed getting the bow. The hint said it likes looking at pointy stuff so I thought maybe an arrow!

You don't have to stand.....

I'd also make sure to keep on eye on where the sword is before you swing. I'd reccomend that at first to take combat slower and think at least for the first section to get the hand of things.
You stand while playing? You don't have to do the full slash man.
Maybe my set up is just weird but if I don't stand, I can't really do like rolling pots or slashing upwards and stuff like that. I'll ask for some help moving my bed so I can sit on it to play.

Also, I didn't watch any of the previews or even look at any screenshots or anything about this game. I went in totally blind. I go in blind for pretty much any game I know I'll buy anyway. It makes it a lot more exciting for me :)

We gotta be careful what we say I suppose, didn't Miyamoto say if this wasn't the best Zelda ever that he'd stop making Zelda? xDD

There are a couple of things in here that I'm surprised 5 years of development time didn't iron out, though. I guess they made some dramatic turns in focus throughout development.

That "5 years in development" thing is exaggerated. Miyamoto even admitted that the first two years were more vague ideas than anything, and "real" development only took place during the last three.

ASIS

I would love it if they made a sequel to Skyward Sword on the Wii using the same engine and controls. Just a bare-bones Zelda game like Zelda 1, it could take place not long after Skyward Sword and just be about exploring new areas on the surface which would be a good reason for the land to be so dangerous and old ruins and dungeons could be scattered throughout the land. I would love that.

If they ever want to do something like this, they shouldn't include towns at all. Some NPC's here and there, maybe. But it should be very scarce.

Also, no hints what so ever as to where to go (not even a sign post), no companion (so that you feel completely by yourself) And no obvious dungeon doors. Only then would I see a Zelda like this be fruitful.

I didn't play Zelda 1, but I'd imagine that's how it is no?

I only just beat the first dungeon and yeah, I got stuck at this bit too. It was the damn
skulltulas that got me. Spinning them around when they're hanging from the ceiling then stabbing at just the right moment is hard.

Plus, they jump up on your face out of nowhere. Creepy.

The Lamp

That "5 years in development" thing is exaggerated. Miyamoto even admitted that the first two years were more vague ideas than anything, and "real" development only took place during the last three.

He always says that he starts Zelda after he finishes the last one...but really I can't believe they spent 2 years just getting "ideas". Then again, Miyamoto has been ridiculously busy on many other projects since 2006.

If they ever want to do something like this, they shouldn't include towns at all. Some NPC's here and there, maybe. But it should be very scarce.

Also, no hints what so ever as to where to go (not even a sign post), no companion (so that you feel completely by yourself) And no obvious dungeon doors. Only then would I see a Zelda like this be fruitful.

So you basically want Shadow of the Colossus with dungeons? :p

I can't tell if that's a genuine thought or a Dark Souls joke

Kard8p3

At E3 Koizumi seemed like he really wanted to make the next Zelda game. He asked Aonuma if he'd trade the Zelda series for Mario. It would be interesting to see a new Zelda from Koizumi.

ASIS

So you basically want Shadow of the Colossus with dungeons? :p

SoTC's world was intimidating, and I want that if they ever decided to go through the Zelda 1 route. But it wasn't mysterious. It didn't feel like searching every nook and cranny would yield anything substantial. So basically a mix of Zelda's overworld with SoTC. I think that would be perfect.

AniHawk

At E3 Koizumi seemed like he really wanted to make the next Zelda game. He asked Aonuma if he'd trade the Zelda series for Mario. It would be interesting to see a new Zelda from Koizumi.

the only thing i'm concerned regarding koizumi is that he seems to think gamers are dumber than aonuma's guys do. i mean, he made super mario galaxy and 3d land.

heringer

Loved the 5th dungeon's boss. Epic stuff.

I do agree that there's some inconsistencies with this game. But to me the good vastly outweights the bad.

Though I'm really disappointed with the soundtrack. Not a single catchy tune, it's baffling.

Visually the game is a hit or miss too. While I really like the overall art direction, most of the areas simply don't looks all that interesting. Skyloft looks absolutely amazing though.

And there's a bunch of little things I hate. Like Fi, the materials screen showing up every single goddam time, etc.

Also, I see a lot of people complaining of fetch quests and padding, but this game feels really well paced to me. I don't know if it's the controls, or the lack of a big overworld, but I never felt bored (not finished yet though, playing the 6th dungeon now). The fetch quests felt really fast, they never dragged too long. In terms of pacing, I think it's only surpassed by Ocarina of Time. That's how I feel anyway.

I would take Skyward's Sword HUB map over a boring ass ocean or a huge but empty Hyrule any day.

Muskweeto

Yes, that's what Zelda 1 is like, which is why I didn't bother adding those details. It would be a fun "side Zelda" for the purists.
If they did do anything like this I would assume there would be some interaction with other races scattered throughout the land, maybe you come across a cave with a small population of Gorons or something, but I agree it should mostly be about exploring and finding things on your own.

This is why I think it happening soon after Skyward Sword would be the perfect time.

ASIS

the only thing i'm concerned regarding koizumi is that he seems to think gamers are dumber than aonuma's guys do. i mean, he made super mario galaxy and 3d land.

What exactly was dumb in SMG? Didn't play 3DL so I wouldn't know about that. But nothing in SMG felt like handholding.

AniHawk

What exactly was dumb in SMG? Didn't play 3DL so I wouldn't know about that. But nothing in SMG felt like handholding.

smg's level design was stupidly simple until about the 60 star point, which happened to also be the end of the game. it also has like a 15 minute tutorial on how to control mario.

3d land is similarly easy for 90% of the game. the super final final actual last level is pretty great, but it's only one level. they're definitely capable of making really great platforming challenges, but they hold back.

Varna

Hand holding is just so incredibly frustrating at this point (finished dungeon 4). They have decent enough level designs, there is never a question about what must be done just by entering an area... but no, I have to have 2 or 3 different NPCs interrupt me actual playing and remind me just in case I'm a brain dead moron. I really feel like Nintendo fucked up their game for the sake of people who will never play or even care about it.

The padding and fetch quest are mostly fine to me. They help you get familiar with the immediate area and introduce you to some basic gameplay concepts. A lot of the time they involve revisiting new areas as well. It's certainly move involved then the classic Zelda overworld. It does however cross the line when it has you revisit an obscure part of an area simply to retrieve an item that wasn't there before (it could have at the very least been hidden behind something that wasn't accessible before... jesus, be creative) or backtrack through a whole fucken dungeon without even a single new room to visit. Thankfully, so far there has been more good backtracking then bad. The fetch quest are actually a a pretty good way to get you around the map and help you notice things that are not immediately accessible. But again... fucken hand holding ruins just about any feeling of discovery. If it's of any relevance someone is going to tell you where it is and where it leads.

Jzero

One of them is stuck in one of those spiky lily pads and I can't get it out. I am INFURIATED. I'm not doing all that shit again. Also, the swimming controls keep going nuts, turning hard left when I'm holding it straight.

I want to break the disk right now.
dude you should know by now that
landing on lily pads from high above turns them over

Muskweeto

One of them is stuck in one of those spiky lily pads and I can't get it out. I am INFURIATED. I'm not doing all that shit again. Also, the swimming controls keep going nuts, turning hard left when I'm holding it straight.

I want to break the disk right now.

Look up, you'll see a place above you can jump from to land on the lily pad to flip it over and set the Tadnote free.

Edit: What Jzero15 said.

smg's level design was stupidly simple until about the 60 star point, which happened to also be the end of the game. it also has like a 15 minute tutorial on how to control mario.

3d land is similarly easy for 90% of the game. the super final final actual last level is pretty great, but it's only one level. they're definitely capable of making really great platforming challenges, but they hold back.

Good thing we have DKCRetu oh wait you hate that game too

:(

ASIS

Strange, didn't get that feeling at all from SMG. It wasn't hard, but it was very enjoyable.

I usually do a dungeon per session but ended doing both
Ancient Cistern
and
Sand Ship
today because it didn't feel like the proper dungeon until I was like a 1/3 of the way through. Also, it didn't have the
stare down the stairs ominously
scene which annoyed me more than it should have.

Top Bottom