• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

leroidys

I'm enjoying the game so far and I will post more detailed impressions when I get father, I'm on my way to the 4th dungeon now.

There's a certain feeling I can't shake, however, and reading that different teams designed different parts of the map kind of brings it to light.

For some reason, it almost feels like I'm playing something like Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy rather than a Zelda game. Particularly in Lanayru, how the whole thing was a puzzle that you create shortcuts as you go through (and to a smaller extent Farore Woods or whatever its called). It just seems so much more ... gamey, which may not be the right word as Zelda has always felt this way. But it just seems like the design team thought "we need some puzzles between A and B because we're mixing things up" rather than the previous paradigm of "let's create this really cool area where these people live and then put some secrets in it".

It just comes off feeling more contrived than usual. It is still fun, but it just feels cheaper than the usual Zelda experience.

AniHawk

Youre ok with me, AniHawk, even if you loooove Mirror's Edge, which funny enough has the Anihawk Jak 2 problem for me(when its platforming/parkour, its good, when its doing ANYTHING else, its terrible)

mirror's edge is very rarely never platforming (the final room at the end of the game might be it), while jak ii is mostly not platforming.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
dark souls/demon's souls was definitely a great way to kick things off. but because it would be zelda, it wouldn't be more boring than metroid prime.

You should skip Demon's and play Dark Souls. I still can't get into Demon's, and Dark Souls is looking like its going to run away with my GOTY this year.

AniHawk

does dark souls still reset a dungeon when you leave it? is it also ridiculously slow? i think i'd rather sink all my time into xenoblade since i just got it and it sounds easier to get into.

after rayman of course.

Tenbatsu

does dark souls still reset a dungeon when you leave it? is it also ridiculously slow? i think i'd rather sink all my time into xenoblade since i just got it and it sounds easier to get into.

after rayman of course.
You don't leave the place now, as it's an open world. The enemies reset when you rest at a bonfire.

someone mentioned Rayman Origins, so I just have to tell everyone to please dear GOD buy Rayman Origins its wonderful and fantastic. 10/10, on the Anihawk scale

cajunator

Banned
She never did that for me in the 5th dungeon. Idk why she has come out for some people but I saw her icon flash for that specific puzzle that people are talking about that she ruined but I never hit it so she didn't ruin the puzzle. It also to me was fairly common sense. Idk why people thought it was an amazing puzzle when it seemed pretty obvious since the light was shinning through. Although she did get slightly annoying because I guess I did a section of the dungeon out of order and so she kept coming out and saying 'how about you go here and do this instead?'

The only puzzle she 'ruined' was pre-3rd dungeon the
Generator puzzle. I looked at the symbols and thought it looked close to my map so I figured that's how you solve it so I exited the screen to look at my map and Fi pops up and explains the puzzle for me.

She never did that for me. I saw her icon flash and her beep three times but I ignored it and figured it out in 10 seconds anyway due to the subtle(kinda) visuals clues.

She hasn't ruined anything for me yet but I haven't gotten to the infamous moment everyone is mentioning.

Overall this game has met my expectations, which center around dungeon design, art style , great music , and memorable characters. It has in some ways exceeded them. That is what I personally look for in a Zelda game which probably also explains why I don't care about the little things that seem to bother people about the game. I didn't really enjoy Zelda games until they went 3d. Maybe I am just easy to please. I do have a more casual outlook on gaming.

AniHawk

someone mentioned Rayman Origins, so I just have to tell everyone to please dear GOD buy Rayman Origins its wonderful and fantastic. 10/10, on the Anihawk scale

i'm waiting until i beat zelda to get into it, but from what i've seen and played so far, it probably actually is.

Bowflex

The fact that anyone supports Hillary boggles my mind... I have tested between 130-160 on IQ tests
So I've had the game since its release, but I just started playing it tonight. Im about an hour and a half in.

So far? Better than Twilight Princess...? I just got 'down there' so I'm hoping the game is about to really start.

"10/10 on the Anihawk Scale" - Anihawk

That tagline would have sold copies :(

but uh yeah how 'bout that Zelda guys, she's pretty hot in this game

I had to ignore Fi throughout most of the game because there was a 90% chance she was just telling me that I was low on batteries, which is bullshit because they lasted for 17 hours after the icon turned to red. No ruined puzzles for me.

You should skip Demon's and play Dark Souls. I still can't get into Demon's, and Dark Souls is looking like its going to run away with my GOTY this year.

I like Demon's Souls too, but I agree that Dark Souls is way better and more accessible without sacrificing difficulty or self-discovery charm. In a lot of ways the game is the antithesis to Skyward Sword's handholding. I adore both games.

Tenbatsu

They really nailed the swimming feel in this game, it even surpassed MH3. Controls are great too and maybe a 180 turn will be nice. But I guess I can just halt and press the Z to turn around.

30hrs and into the 4th dungeon I go!

fernoca

Well, now that I'm after dungeon 6..been reading some of the spoilers regarding those that were pissed off that Fi "ruined" some specific puzzles; and ..she didn't appeared to me neither. Her icon appeared on screen in #5 but I just continued playing on...

In fact, just after finishing dungeon 6, I was kinda wondering how she, aside to sometimes saying some obvious things; she hasn't appeared in the game that much (to ruin puzzles, while doing something, etc.). Except when I spam her; to learn about the characters. :p

rhino4evr

Finally had some time to play. Haven't made it
To the first dungeon, but have found the first real
Item.
Gotta say a lot of the impressions I read on here are Proving
To be the typical Gaf nitpicks.

No problem with the intro, there actually is a lot to learn, and remember
This game is aimed at all audiences.
No problem with the motion controls,
But I do question the point of some of them. Why can't I just throw a pot or roll without shaking?
No problem with the text speed. It's goes pretty fast, I think you are forgetting
What truly slow text speed really is ...that being said,
I really wish this game had voice acting.

So far I'm enjoying it. Like I expected.

I'm just getting into the game today. The tutorial was a little too long but I'll admit a fair amount of the information was necessary.

But god damn, though. This first boss is killing me. I must have fought him 15 times so far. I can get past the first section pretty easily, but once he starts attacking back it seems like there's nothing I can do.

I'm just getting into the game today. The tutorial was a little too long but I'll admit a fair amount of the information was necessary.

But god damn, though. This first boss is killing me. I must have fought him 15 times so far. I can get past the first section pretty easily, but once he starts attacking back it seems like there's nothing I can do.

Shield Bash his running attack.
Probably the easiest way to defeat the fight's second phase.

Red

I think the "..." above NPCs with new info is a step up from the old method of "talk to everyone all the time," but it would be nice if sidequests were integrated more organically. Like, you know something is going on with a character by what they are doing -- their behavior changes.

The Lamp

I think the "..." above NPCs with new info is a step up from the old method of "talk to everyone all the time," but it would be nice if sidequests were integrated more organically. Like, you know something is going on with a character by what they are doing -- their behavior changes.

Majora's Mask came dangerously close to that level of organic integration, but didn't quite hit it. I'm waiting for something like this in the Zelda franchise too.

Going to be at the 5th dungeon soon and I have to say that outside of the
badly handled "go back to Skyview to the exact same rooms with new enemies to find water"
backtracking section (which was bad because there was nothing new to see or do), I've found the revisiting of old locales enjoyable. I would feel sad if I had to leave those areas forever and not have any reason to return to see those cooky, wonderful races/NPCs again.
Running into Mogmas all over the map
is especially amusing.

I feel like it's backtracking done well, unlike Kingdom Hearts II which is backtracking done horribly horribly wrong.

We'll see..

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Does the dungeon music get better? I'm in dungeon 3 and really enjoying the dungeon, but the music is so....like nonmelodic. It's not even really atmospheric like the Deku Tree. It's kind of annoying.

The Lamp

Does the dungeon music get better? I'm in dungeon 3 and really enjoying the dungeon, but the music is so....like nonmelodic. It's not even really atmospheric like the Deku Tree. It's kind of annoying.

I know what you mean....I liked it actually but I can see how it would get annoying.

My favorite was still the first dungeon, which was just creepy and atmospheric. Ever since, it hasn't been too memorable for me.

dungeon 3 music gets a little better with those timestones or whatever get hit. But yeah its...actually rather annoying, I was tempted to hit the mute button in that dungeon.

KarmaCow

Near the end of the game spoilers.

I was wondering why everyone was celebrating that they just killed Demise in the present when they have a giant time gate right next to them and in came Ghirahim after being missing for so long. I don't really like him as a character, but he's barely above Zant in terms of involvement in the story. Overall the game really lacked a sense of urgency. Yea, Zelda is missing, but I never really felt like there was a threat because most of the NPCs don't really act like there is one.

AniHawk

third has the worst in the game so far. first and fourth are pretty nice. nothing super memorable like oot's forest temple though.

Anth0ny

Dungeon music is pretty forgettable in this game, unfortunately.

Jzero

The soundtrack in the game is kind of disappointing, nothing besides Ballad of the Goddess and the Lumpy Pumpkin theme stuck in my head like the music in the other games. It's not bad though.

KorrZ

I really liked the second dungeons music, don't know what you guys are talking about! I guess third dungeons was very unmemorable since I can't even think of what it sounds like off the top of my head.

Fuck the last silent realm. I love how in this game, there's no fucking way to climb on crates, etc if you're right next to them. You gotta run around, then back towards them. It's fucked me over twice in this silent realm.

Garcia

Just finished the game and holy crap, I wasnt prepared for
getting the chance to collect the Triforce!
OMG!! It all makes sense now storywise.... Wonderful stuff.

I absolutely loved the incredible crescendo to the Last Boss battle. Felt like a war, literally!

Will definitely post a review tomorrow. What a fantastic ride this has been.

Score: 9.5/10 despite all its flaws and rehashed stuff. It is a very tight game and considering this is the tale where you
forge THE original Master Sword
, I think that justifies to a certain degree all the
Trials post 6th-dungeon

Definitely one of my favorite Zelda games and I'm ready for
Hero Mode
. On my way to the Spoilered thread.

When does the actual real gameplay start? Right now I'm running around town looking for my captured bird at the beginning of the game and hating every second of it (I like the actual running and climbing stuff, just what I'm forced to do with it at the moment is the drag). When do I actually get into a dungeon and start playing for real?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
...I liked the third dungeon music a lot and thought it was pretty memorable. :(

I thought it worked well when coupled with the complete silence you get after
beating the boss and getting on the cart
. It was one of the more subtle 'cool' moments in the game.

When does the actual real gameplay start? Right now I'm running around town looking for my captured bird at the beginning of the game and hating every second of it (I like the actual running and climbing stuff, just what I'm forced to do with it at the moment is the drag). When do I actually get into a dungeon and start playing for real?

you probably have a little less than an hour, maybe even less before the game "starts"

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
wow. that's way different.

open-world demon's souls sounds pretty cool. i guess i'll check it out, damn you all.

I wish I could say something unique or interesting about Dark Souls vs Demon's, but the thing that makes it better is the most obvious: you feel like you're drilling deeper and deeper into a completely beautiful but completely fucked up world. Everything is connected in some really fantastic, Metroid-esque ways.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Well the third dungeon was very good. The controls are second nature to me now and I really enjoy it.

They can (and should) do some additional innovating on that end. Pushing blocks STILL sucks. It's sucked in 99% of games. The one exception is Tomb Raider Legend because you could push things to the left without stopping everything, moving to the left or right side, and pushing or pulling.

I feel like they should find a way to use the wiimote for that. God I hate that.

But the boss rocked! And Zelda's pure fertileness makes me feel Jiggy in my loins.

Music on the third boss rocked a shit ton of ass. No, shit TONS. Easily one of the best boss tracks I've ever heard in a game. The first four notes are a remix of the
"YOU GOT AN ITEM!"
jingle.

Top Bottom