• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

jman2050

Well the third dungeon was very good. The controls are second nature to me now and I really enjoy it.

They can (and should) do some additional innovating on that end. Pushing blocks STILL sucks. It's sucked in 99% of games. The one exception is Tomb Raider Legend because you could push things to the left without stopping everything, moving to the left or right side, and pushing or pulling.

I feel like they should find a way to use the wiimote for that. God I hate that.

But the boss rocked! And Zelda's pure fertileness makes me feel Jiggy in my loins.

At least they really seemed to cut down on the block pushing this time around. As far as I can recall outside of the
mine carts
pushing stuff is relegated to making shortcuts.

I just finished the game. To me its the worst 3D Zelda, that does not make it bad by any means, it maybe the best game I played all year and its still incredible. There is just too much that I did not like.

The last dungeon was fantastic at least. The story gets better at the end but its still a bit messy. I see what they are trying to do but this timeline is a disaster so any attempt to make an origin story just doesn't fit. Final boss is cool but I found it to be easy, they could have done more, especially after the epicness that was TPs ending

It's still a magnificent game that has incredible variety and new controls that I feel are the best of the series. Combat was fun and interesting throughout and my Link was in danger of dying at times which is new (though I had so many potions that it didn't matter). The highs were some of the best in the series but the lows are the lowest as well.

My biggest complaint in all this is how the game feels held back by some crazy obsession Nintendo has to make sure everyone can enjoy this game. That is a nice thing to strive for but not when it starts to effect the puzzles and complexity of dungeons. There is already a million built in help systems in this game and yet they still never go crazy with the puzzles or difficulty. It all comes down to this, almost every single puzzle in this game has one level, its basically use item on object. Maybe you get a few where you use one item to use another item but that is rare. Puzzles like that are simple, the best puzzles have multiple levels to it, you do an action that leads to possibility of doing another action that leads to the solution. I know Zelda games don't have the greatest puzzles but they are usually more complex than this, they make you think of a while, or even get stuck thinking. I maybe got stuck for 3 minutes at most in this game, that is not good for a Zelda game.

Stop holding back, stop being afraid of giving the players choices, to allow them to get lost for a while. That was the basis of this series and with each game we seem to be getting further and further away from that. Nintendo are still masters of level design, they know how to make compelling gameplay with interesting scenarios but you have to take it further, they can do so much more with this.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Now that I know which puzzles Fi has spoiled people on, add me to the list of people who didn't have this problem.

Although with both puzzles I pretty much figured them out right away...especially the generator puzzle. That was painfully obvious for me once I took one look at the map.

Also, I kind of agree about the music...I like it when it plays in the game, but it's not really the type of music that gets stuck in my head outside of the Goddess Song and the Flying Song.

To me its the worst 3D Zelda

and its still incredible.

lol yep, this is why I look forward to these games as much as I do, because even mediocre Zelda is still superior to everything else! I mean I can't say yet whether or not its mediocre, I just finished the third dungeon, but yeah so far its head and shoulders better than anything else I've played this year. That dungeon design, the colors, the music, and the boss left me on such a high that I just do not get while playing other games.

lol yep, this is why I look forward to these games as much as I do, because even mediocre Zelda is still superior to everything else! I mean I can't say yet whether or not its mediocre, I just finished the third dungeon, but yeah so far its head and shoulders better than anything else I've played this year. That dungeon design, the colors, the music, and the boss left me on such a high that I just do not get while playing other games.

To me the third dungeon was the best of the whole game. At that point of the game I was expecting another "10" Zelda game for me but it kind of tailed off to me and all these issues I had got more and more noticeable.

To me the third dungeon was the best of the whole game. At that point of the game I was expecting another "10" Zelda game for me but it kind of tailed off to me and all these issues I had got more and more noticeable.

I hope I don't find that it peaks out at the third dungeon, but I've heard great things about the rest, so. Really hope the last dungeon is great.

I hope I don't find that it peaks out at the third dungeon, but I've heard great things about the rest, so. Really hope the last dungeon is great.

I have heard all kinds of opinions, The game remains awesome from start to finish but I still found that as the peak. But this is Zelda, practically everyone has a different favorite Zelda game. To me TP is an absolute masterpiece, to others it was a low point.

Mii

Banned
In the endgame sequence for my second time through the game
on Hero Mode
. Botched an attempt at
boss rush mode, totally forgot how to take down end-game Ghirahim

I've enjoyed the game significantly more the second time around. I think much of it has to do with knowing how to quickly wrap up fetch quests to get them out of the way as quickly as possible without using dowsing (pre-2nd dungeon for instance). Being able to more quickly scroll through text and knowing to skip the worst scenes is a big improvement too. I feel like I am dictating the pace of the game now, and its quite nice. After a ton of hours I am significantly more comfortable with the controls and my opinion of the game continues to improve. I still make every effort to not use the sword, but I have far better control of it at this point. TP encouraged very bad waggle habits. The other weapons are still more fun to use than the sword.

While none of the dungeons are difficult by any means, they are the most unique and memorable ones since a Link to the Past
(Past and Present for dungeon 3, Heaven and Hell for dungeon 4, and Sand Ocean and Past + Present for dungeon 5 are particularly memorable)
. While I still detest the first dungeon, the others all grew on me. I was able to appreciate how creatively my favorite dungeons from my first time through (particularly the 3rd-5th) were put together. While still rather linear by Zelda standards, they are still the most enjoyable and memorable dungeons to play through in a while.

On the topic of Zelda bosses, I would pay good money just to have a compilation of all 3D Zelda bosses in one game. My favorites from this game were the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and end-game sequence.

If there was no Fi, quick text scrolling, and more fine-tuning of the swordplay, this would easily tie with Majora's Mask for my favorite 3D Zelda; its rather upsetting that such trivial and easily fixable mistakes by Nintendo had such a large impact.

zethren

Banned
Just entered the 2nd temple before calling it a night. I usually hate
fire
themed dungeons, but the visual design of the game is helping with that ingrained resistance of mine.

It's going to be some bit of time before I get back into the game due to the next two weeks being the last ones before the semester ends. Finishing the game will be a graduation present to myself come mid-December...lol

As a side note, and this may be because I haven't gotten too far in the game, but
Fi
doesn't bother me at all. She's this game's fairy equivalent, and honestly so far less annoying. I think her design is cool, and her musical theme is just awesome.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I like Twilight Princess too...I've actually played it three times, and, for some reason, the first two times I found it boring and never beat it. I got to the Sky Temple, beat it, and a year later restarted...got to Twilight Realm, got bored, and didn't touch it...

But this summer I picked it up, and, hey, I enjoyed it a lot more. Beat it, finally, with everything done. All Poes, all Bugs, all Heart Pieces.

Phantom Hourglass, which I similarly disliked on my first play-through, was also a lot more enjoyable than I remembered...and, in fact, I'd say it beats Spirit Tracks even.

But replaying Wind Waker, while still a fun game, made me realize its flaws more than when I played it when it first came out. I imagine Skyward Sword, which I'm loving so far, might not hold up as well upon replays, but my first playthrough has been a blast.

fucking tadtones

Whose idea was this? Whoever thought this is a goddamn moron who shouldnt be near a game ever again. So on top water levels seriously being garbage in all games, I have to deal with this fetch quest bullshit to go along with the awful swimming controls.

Nert

In my opinion, the fourth dungeon is the best in the game, with the third and fifth being about on the same level (both great).

On the topic of dungeon progression, I think that this game really excelled with the design of Link's arsenal. I feel that all of the items, with the possible exception of the
Slingshot
, remain relevant and fun to use throughout the entire game. It definitely avoided the issue I've had with past Zelda games where the items you pick up in a dungeon feel pointless after your first hour or so with them (I loved the Spinner in Twilight Princess, but I can't even remember if it's used at all after Arbiter's Grounds).

I'm also very happy that they brought back the double Clawshots. They were utilized well in the extended cart/timeshift sequence towards the end of the game.

Mii

Banned
Through 5 dungeons, Skyward Sword has the best boss and miniboss music in the series. As well as the best bosses.

The song for
Stalfos
is awesome. Boss music used for 2-3 and 4-5 were also excellent. While music for dungeons can start a bit annoying, often some triggering event in the dungeon improves the music. Either that or more time with the song leads to addiction (2nd dungeon in my case).

So I'm slowly getting addicted to the soundtrack.

This song is a masterpiece. Gives a very Disney-vibe.

i agree. the soundtrack is incredible, but aside from the ballad and fi's themes (so far since im only at dungeon 4), there arent many songs that are simple and catchy like say from ocarina of time. its more like a movie score id say. however what we do have is very fitting and pleasant to listen to

a lot of the music gives me a fullmetal alchemist vibe, which is great

loved this song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbsUHog7bEU&list=PLC5AE6E1EEA630D30&index=13&feature=plpp_video

Anth0ny

i agree. the soundtrack is incredible, but aside from the ballad and fi's themes (so far since im only at dungeon 4), there arent many songs that are simple and catchy like say from ocarina of time. its more like a movie score id say. however what we do have is very fitting and pleasant to listen to

Well said.

Hiltz

I haven't put in too much time yet but did finish the first dungeon.

- Visuals look very good. Really digging the art stye, filter effect, and Wind Waker- esque character designs. The jaggies haven't bothered me at all, but some of the plant life (like leaves on big trees) look noticeably flat. I'm playing on a 42" HDtv.

- Enjoyed the intro more than Twilight Princess and Wind Waker's.It felt fairly quick but could have been even faster had it not been for the sluggish text dialogue. I spent under 2 hours there, with most of the time just exploring the town before progressing with the tutorial and story.

- Lack of camera control. It's a minor issue, but in the beginning, I instinctively tried to press the d-pad to turn the camera but nothing happened. :/

- Fi is starting to get a little annoying by always stating the obvious. I'm missing Midna already.

- The motion control for rolling objects seems finicky and not as responsive as Wii Sports bowling.

- Nice to see Zelda have some personality for a change. Plus, she looks adorable.

- Nintendo gets two thumbs up for the convenient new save system.

- Combat is pretty fun, challenging and responsive. It was tricky at first, but I'm slowly getting the hang of it because I underestimated what it would actually be like. No issues with thrusting or shield bashing and haven't had to recalibrate except for when pausing the game.

The only time I had an issue was against the first boss. I had the sword raised and when I intended to do a diagonal slash,the sword's position didn't move and looked like it was tilted and got temporarily stuck too much to the right side. Perhaps it was jut due t how I was unintentionally holding the controller at the time.

- Bug catching is almost as tricky as combat!

Catching birds is not as easy as it looks. They just keep flying away despite trying to slowly sidestep toward them while Z-targeting. I've caught one bird and a few different bugs so far.

- It's been refreshing to have a more agile Link thanks to the stamina meter.

- Bird flying is pretty fun but I still prefer Epona.

- Skyworld map seems like it is a decent size.

- Skydiving is fun but there's a slight learning curve to it. Took me three tries the first time during the intro where you get the
sailcloth

- I really like the new field designs. They kind of remind me of Golden Sun in a way due to the puzzle-solving and there's still a decent amount of exploration.

- First dungeon gadget you get is awesome. I was surprised by how long it stays active and it is very enjoyable to use to
scout areas.
In the first dungeon, I used it to attack a bokoblin from behind from across a chasm. He heard it coming and turned around and ran away but fell off the side. This is gonna be a fun item to use alright.

- Rupees have a purpose again! I currently have around 260 but spent some already on a red potion and fixing the first shield.

- Tightrope walking isn't that bad but the motion control wasn't necessary.

- Not a big fan of the motion controlled- rope swinging. (Link's animation here looks stiff too)

- Rupees have a purpose! I only have about 260 but already spend some on fixing the first shield.

- Kikwis are cute, but hopefully, they'll be a new npc race as memorable as Wind Waker's Rito.

- As far as the music goes, the only memorable tracks have been the romance, Stalfos and Fi's themes. For the record, I don't remember dungeon music in any Zelda game.

- I really hate spider webs. It's too easy to accidentally get caught in them even after cutting them up. It's also sucks that you have to use waggle to get out of them.

- The equipment salesman with the rosey cheeks is amusing to watch. Same goes for that guy with the baby and Beedle too.

- I knew how to beat the first dungeon boss, but he still had me scrambling around the room to get hearts.

- I almost died against the first group of Bokoblins.

Hylian7

I just got to what I am pretty sure is the endgame dungeon, like Ganon's Castle/The Moon/etc.

I really love the overarching sliding tile puzzle to the whole thing. Makes the dungeon really unique. When I first saw the map, I was expecting something like an NES dungeon, I'm not far off given that all rooms are square shaped. I'm also glad the rooms are actually new rooms and not repeated rooms from previous dungeons.

Alchemy

I'm slowly coming around, but I haaaaaate pre-dungeon fetch quest bullshit. The shit before the 2nd dungeon felt like it took longer than the actual dungeon. Once I got inside the freaking thing I actually started enjoying myself. It was very confusing.

I also think I found out why my damn controller felt so damn unresponsive, I was keeping it buttons up while it calibrated on start up. It felt slightly more responsive flipping it around with the buttons down during calibration. During the start I was so focused on the spinning wiimote that was face up I didn't actually pay any attention the other images. Deeeerp.

It didn't get rid of all my annoyances, sword play still feels a little random. But flying is much more tolerable. Oddly enough the beetle felt responsive regardless of how I calibrated it.

Just give me more dungeons so I can stop hating you Skyward Sword.

oatmeal

Banned
Fuck me...I'm so far behind on this thread.

I was all caught up to about...page...60.

Now I will never get caught up.

Anyhoo...I finished the 5th dungeon.

That boss was fantastic! And yeah, can't believe they spoil that one puzzle before even giving you a chance to look for yourself.

Enk

makes good threads.
I'm slowly coming around, but I haaaaaate pre-dungeon fetch quest bullshit. The shit before the 2nd dungeon felt like it took longer than the actual dungeon. Once I got inside the freaking thing I actually started enjoying myself. It was very confusing.

Better get used to the pre-dungeon fetch quests as it's like that throughout the majority of the game.

oatmeal

Banned
One thing that is just ridiculous that they still allow happen is the clunky dialogue boxes in this game.

It's bullshit that every time I want to play the Bamboo game, or sell bugs, I have to hear the same 2-3 box dialogue over and over. Just ask when I finish selling/playing "do you want to go again?"

Is that so hard!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Am I the only one who didn't dislike the swimming controls?

Not that I found them any better than good swimming controls via analog... I just didn't find them any worse either. And the
spin attack boost
made navigation a lot more bearable than the usual slow-ass swimming in games.

frequency

I absolutely love the music in this game. I haven't gotten that far yet, but the songs are definitely catchy and memorable to me at least.

Of course, they're more complex and so not as "catchy" as more classic Zelda themes, but that doesn't make it any worse for me. I hope the music only gets better as I play more!

Is the soundtrack released and for sale? Or are people somehow ripping those songs from the game for the youtube videos? I really want to buy it.

Socreges

Banned
So finally I get out of the boring-as-fuck Skyloft and now Fi won't leave me alone. I don't need everything described to me, Nintendo.

Between this and SM3DL, they're obviously getting worse at managing their demographics. They're trying to ease casuals into their games, but are alienating many people in the process. Why can't they have 'I AM NEW TO ZELDA', 'I AM A ZELDA PRO' option like so many games do these days?

Madao

for the, the game as a whole compared to past 3D Zeldas ends up like this:

MM > OoT > SS > TWW > TP

i'm biased towards the N64 ones since i really liked them but SS is a very good contender. let's see if this order changes over the years since i used to like TP more than TWW but after a while, they swapped places. same with OoT and MM.

can't comment with the 2D ones since they're entirely different beasts and i have played the GBC ones only.

One thing that is just ridiculous that they still allow happen is the clunky dialogue boxes in this game.

It's bullshit that every time I want to play the Bamboo game, or sell bugs, I have to hear the same 2-3 box dialogue over and over. Just ask when I finish selling/playing "do you want to go again?"

Is that so hard!

They could have learned a bit from mass effect

AniHawk

holy shit. everything relating to dungeon five and pre-dungeon five is fucking awesome.

[dungeon 5 spoilers]
i really want the bow or bow-related puzzles earlier. fuck, i think the scattershot should have been there instead for greater puzzles. i love that i don't need to do the wii sports resort thing to use it either, just point and click, like in tp.

speaking of tp, my beloved clawshots return. oh how i've missed them.

guess i'll be wrapping the game up relatively soon. i'm at the 21 hour mark and with 1 dungeon left and then the endgame, i should finish around the 30 hour mark with some more sidequests completed.

AniHawk

So finally I get out of the boring-as-fuck Skyloft and now Fi won't leave me alone. I don't need everything described to me, Nintendo.

Between this and SM3DL, they're obviously getting worse at managing their demographics. They're trying to ease casuals into their games, but are alienating many people in the process. Why can't they have 'I AM NEW TO ZELDA', 'I AM A ZELDA PRO' option like so many games do these days?

it's weird too, because nsmbw and smg2 were hard as balls compared to their respective predecessors. sm3dl is koizumi's team, so maybe that's why it's so easy compared to smg2, and aonuma's guys were probably on the same page as koizumi three years ago and didn't bother to change.

wrowa

What you call "fetch quest bullshit" is what was the focus during the development of the game, so yeah, that won't change. I'll Probably never understand people who so aggressively dislike it, though. The area design is fantastic (beats the dungeon design by miles) and there are actually only very few quests that don't offer absolutely new content...

fucking tadtones

Whose idea was this? Whoever thought this is a goddamn moron who shouldnt be near a game ever again.
What makes it worst is that it doesn't even have a proper justification, it feels even more arbitraryif you start to consider this event from a plot perspective.
Anyhoo...I finished the 5th dungeon.And yeah, can't believe they spoil that one puzzle before even giving you a chance to look for yourself.
That and pre dungeon 3 are becoming defining moments. I like how most of the the complains from the reviews that got flamed were spot on.
Other issue i see with the dialog boxes is how visually intrusive they can be in some cutscenes. Watching the story develop and have a big slab of text obscuring the screen is not elegant at all.
Am I the only one who didn't dislike the swimming controls?

Not that I found them any better than good swimming controls via analog... I just didn't find them any worse either.
Concensus seems to be that the swiming controls feel forced, not so much about how bad or good they are.

they're obviously getting worse at managing their demographics.
Yes, i found puzzling the desicion to babysit the player, yet at the same time they create a game that is more difficult than Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

And also they had the option to just fall back in the Sheika Stone to ease the progression of the mentally challenged player. So Fi's execution was a big fuck up on NIntendo's part.

Top Bottom