• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

So my buddy just texted me saying he's buying 3 copies of the game (he's preordered) with the gold remote and CD. Says he is opening one and storing 2 to possibly make money in the future on eBay. :lol

Is the game really that "rare" to begin with? I highly doubt it.

Anth0ny

Big One said:
This entire quote is a joke every one of those games except for Zelda II are ridiculously easy and contain absolutely no solid challenge whatsoever. Even if you make an argument for Ocarina of Time, you simply cannot for either Wind Waker or Twilight Princess which have considerably lower end difficulty than Skyward Sword.

I know you're probably one of those people who think Zelda 1 and ALttP are hard but they aren't, as well designed as they are, they're both arguably easier than any of the 3D Zelda. Zelda 1 is only difficult in the sense that you dunno where the fuck you're going

yo wtf

I can absolutely shit on Ocarina of Time (because I've played it so much, but it's still pretty easy), and can finish Wind Waker and Twilight Princess in my sleep. I'm not the first to say this. The NES Zeldas are 100x harder than any 3D Zelda, and LTTP is a lot harder too.

Oh, and Snowpeak was the best part of TP.

GOD hurry the fuck up Saturday, I'm not sleeping until I'm done this game.

Red

Divvy said:
I still think the dungeons and bossfights were amazing in TP. Putting aside the fact that the items were barely used outside of the dungeons, their use within their dungeons was such a blast. Stalord with the spinner? Fucking awesome.
Yes I just finished that part again a couple nights ago actually, and backed up a save in the room before him to be able to replay it. Great fight.

brandonh83 said:
No review or impression has swayed my hype in any direction because of this. I won't know shit until I've played it myself.
This has been my motto for life in general. I don't get why some people get so worked up about trivial shit like reviews.

Red

Epic Tales of Penis said:
This has been my motto for life in general. I don't get why some people get so worked up about some shit.
Big One has been arguing that Skyward Sword is objectively the best Zelda since before anyone even played it. No one else here is getting worked up about it as far as I can see.

TheNatural

My Member!
Pyrokai said:
It's amazing how much people's opinions are affecting my own of a game I've never played. Why does this affect me so much? I was so pumped for the game, and now not so much. My mind is pitiful, because I'm still pretty sure I'm going to love it. I mustn't be persuaded!

You shouldn't even be bothered. I mean, fuck, the game has a 94% rating on Gamerankings by last check, what more could you want?

Plus every console Zelda game is like arguing over someone about what the best soft drink is. One person will tell you Lttp, one tells you OoT, one Majora's, Wind Waker, TP, and this. Seriously, there are going to be dissenting opinions on EVERY Zelda game ever released because they all have their idea of what a Zelda should be and what parts of Zelda they actually like the best.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Anth0ny said:
yo wtf

I can absolutely shit on Ocarina of Time (because I've played it so much, but it's still pretty easy), and can finish Wind Waker and Twilight Princess in my sleep. I'm not the first to say this. The NES Zeldas are 100x harder than any 3D Zelda, and LTTP is a lot harder too.

Oh, and Snowpeak was the best part of TP.

GOD hurry the fuck up Saturday, I'm not sleeping until I'm done this game.
I disagree that Snowpeak was the best part of TP. I actually enjoyed the Temple of Time the best. Easy but very clever and intuitive. EDIT: Oh, Arbiter's Grounds was pretty good.

This has been my motto for life in general. I don't get why some people get so worked up about some shit.

I've seen some ridiculous shit concerning review scores, and not even the Uncharted 3 debacle, like people in the AC: Revelations review thread canceling their preorders or claiming that their hype is lessened because such and such reviewer said that it's more of the same but still good but gave it a 7.

That's no way at all to go about anything. Everything you get hyped up for-- guess what-- someone out there is not going to like it. Multiple people aren't going to like it. If you're excited for something, it's because you think you know what to expect. If you're excited for Assassin's Creed Revelations, it's because you really enjoyed some of the other ones. So when someone says it's more of the same, why is that all of a sudden some terrible thing? Were you looking forward to more AC but now you're not because it's more AC? I mean that makes a shitload of sense!

Varna

So in general are Skyward Sword's dungeons easier? Pretty much consider TP the worse Zelda because of how easy dungeons were.

iavi

brandonh83 said:
No review or impression has swayed my hype in any direction because of this. I won't know shit until I've played it myself.

Like it should be, but at the same time; there are game design choices that are evident, and should be acknowledged, regardless of opinion. For example, I've only just finished the second temple, but to say something like: "The surface is a 'vast open space stuffed to the brim with content" is lie. So far, it's been a space completely segregated from the sky that seems as if it does 'open' up, but only after you complete a wholly linear path--'opening' up shortcuts as you go along.

Imo, These shortcuts don't make the world seem any more alive, open, or even varied, all they have allowed me to do is get back to whichever focal destination faster from whichever 'cloud gate' chosen. Hardly is it seamless, and there hasn't been anything in the way of 'content' to find along the way. That is, unless you're one to count a ton of chests filled with either rupees or equally unrewarding upgrade material as 'content' worthy of finding. It's incredibly evident that they intend for Skyloft & its super bazaar to be your go to destination for items/upgrades, and, so far, the surface has reflected this. Next to the M+, that's easily my biggest disappointment with the game so far, tbh.

And to clarify, I am enjoying the game. The series has a charm unmatched, and when the M+ is working as it's supposed to, the combat encounters have been fun, but by no means do I consider this a 10/10, or even remotely the best Zelda ever. And even though I've read that it does get better in different regards, I'm certain I can say that much being only a few hours in.

E: brandonh83, I'm not saying this to you specifically. I'm just piggybacking off of your post ,lol. I apologize if it seems as if I'm dishing it out to you personally.

TheKyle07

TSA said:
You quoted me before I proof-read and edited. If you were truly a nerd, you would have pointed out how it's Ganon's Castle in Ocarina of Time, not Ganon's Tower. I fixed that, too.

The inner section of Ganon's Castle is referred to as Ganon's Tower, so what you wrote is still technically accurate...

TheChaos

Varna said:
So in general are Skyward Sword's dungeons easier? Pretty much consider TP the worse Zelda because of how easy dungeons were.

You must have not played Wind Waker or Spirit Tracks. Those dungeons were easier and there were less of them.

Varna said:
No way TP was easier than WW.

I think it's pretty questionable as to whether or not OoT had tougher dungeons too.

ViewtifulJC said:
Also, one animation that looks REALLY really fucking stiff and awkward is Link jumping from a vine. He doesn't so much jump as he just falls almost directly down vertically. When someone like Nathan Drake or even Donkey Kong in DKCR leaps from vines, there's a clear "release" jump animation, to add to the feeling of swinging from a rope and leaping away. Link kinda just...drops from vines, with no animation whatsoever. It looks terrible lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAEoYcC25Ss&t=9m5s
I should kill you. I was doing good waiting for this game to come out..watched the lil link you posted and damn I watched way more than I should have...fuck :(

TheKyle07 said:
The inner section of Ganon's Castle is referred to as Ganon's Tower, so what you wrote is still technically accurate...

I was waiting for somebody to say that. Excellent.

Anth0ny said:
Just want to say Ballad of the Goddess is a fucking masterpiece.

I liked some songs.

Miri said:
E: brandonh83, I'm not saying this to you specifically. I'm just piggybacking off of your post ,lol. I apologize if it seems as if I'm dishing it out to you personally.

You're good! Valid points. I think some things I've read may ultimately bother me to some capacity, but as much of a Zelda fan that I am, I have issues with all of the games aside from A Link to the Past... which is, in turn, why I call it my favorite because I have no issues with it.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Iwata Asks Volume 6 is out, and they make it clear they don't want Zelda to become all blockuster-cinematic-ish like Uncharted and such.

And we have to thank Miyamoto for the orchestra, Aonuma didn't think about using it at first.

I think Minish Cap is the only 2D Zelda I've beaten.

I just find the 2D ones so uninvolving. Possibly because Ocarina was my first Zelda (I was a latecomer) and it set my expectations. I just hate the combat in the 2D games, it's boring.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Correction, Aonuma didn't want to use a orchestra at all.

... What the hell, Aonuma? An orchestra is perfect for Zelda, c'mon.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
butter_stick said:

I just find the 2D ones so uninvolving. Possibly because Ocarina was my first Zelda (I was a latecomer) and it set my expectations. I just hate the combat in the 2D games, it's boring.
I think I hate you.

Red

butter_stick said:

More boring than Z -targeting?

Regulus Tera said:
I think I hate you.
I accept all loathing.

I've played every single 2D Zelda, except for the Color ones, and Link's Awakening is easily my favourite. But not enough of a favourite for me to beat it.

Oh and I didn't play Spirit Tracks because, you know. Phantom Hourglass.

onipex

TheNatural said:
You shouldn't even be bothered. I mean, fuck, the game has a 94% rating on Gamerankings by last check, what more could you want?

I've seen people saying they canceled their pre-orders because of the GT review. I just don't understand that shit. It just seems pretty stupid to me.

Varna

TheChaos said:
You must have not played Wind Waker or Spirit Tracks. Those dungeons were easier and there were less of them.

Never played the DS games. I give Wind Waker some extra points because I have very fond memories of the sailing, exploring and the general atmosphere. Combat was brain dead easy... as were dungeons, but at least it had some positive attributes. There was not a single thing I liked about TP.

butter_stick said:
I think it's pretty questionable as to whether or not OoT had tougher dungeons too.

Just finished up the 3DS remake and there isn't even a question about it. This is not even taking into account the second quest. The biggest problem I had TP was the subtle hand holding... you always found yourself exactly where you needed to be to advance. There was not a single instance were I had to consider where to go next. I like back tracking, remembering odd things and just trying to blow up every single wall.

Feep

Banned
onipex said:
I've seen people saying they canceled their pre-orders because of the GT review. I just don't understand that shit. It just seems pretty stupid to me.
No one who cares enough about Zelda to actually threaten cancelling their pre-orders because of a 9.1 is actually going to cancel their pre-orders.

kunonabi

OoT dungeons were the easiest in the entire series as far as I'm concerned. MQ makes them decent but the originals were just pathetic.

Replaying OoT in 3D, I thought the dungeons were very simple. I've not played TP since I beat it, but I remember them being slightly more taxing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Feep said:
No one who cares enough about Zelda to actually threaten cancelling their pre-orders because of a 9.1 is actually going to cancel their pre-orders.

I've seen a few people react strongly to the GT review. It's interesting, really, because these same people have ignored reviews from most places, or written off other reviews as being overly negative or too fanboyish. But GT? Nooo. What GT says must be true, apparently.

butter_stick said:
Replaying OoT in 3D, I thought the dungeons were very simple. I've not played TP since I beat it, but I remember them being slightly more taxing.

OoT's dungeons were very simple. I find it weird when people argue otherwise. I've got no beef with them, but by simply being the first 3D Zelda OoT has, unsurprisingly, the most simple and basic of dungeons. It set the standard that the other 3D Zelda's built off. Everything about OoT is pretty basic. Thankfully it's also fun.

olimpia84

butter_stick said:

I loved TP but I must admit I don't really remember much of the dungeons. It's probably because I only played the game once where as OOT I played it about 4 or 5 times.

GamerSoul

butter_stick said:

I remember the same thing for TP, not much else, but it got easier as I played more of it. It would probably be easier for me if I played it again.

dwu8991

Banned
So my buddy just texted me saying he's buying 3 copies of the game (he's preordered) with the gold remote and CD. Says he is opening one and storing 2 to possibly make money in the future on eBay. :lol

Holy Crap, 3 Copies!
If he wants to make money, he might have to wait until 5 years where he could sell the limited edition for $100.

The most valuable LE are PAL copies, so get the PAL LE if you can!

Mistle

Playing SS on my TV after seeing Dolphin screens makes me sad. But I find happiness in knowing that while it may not look as good, I'll have a clean gameplay experience with no glitches, either graphical or gameplay.

I can deal with a lower resolution, and the jaggies aren't so bad, but my biggest problem is trying to get the colours to look as great as the Dolphin screens. It's almost like my TV makes it too vibrant and contrasty. But if I turn them down and try and balance them, it just looks washed out. Not "soft" but colourful like the Dolphin screens. Ah well.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I think your friend is a moron.

This is not going to be rare in the slightest.

jonno394

Oh dear, I regret buying Skyrim on saturday as I honestly don't think i'll be playing Zelda till around christmas now even though it's coming on friday........i'm kinda disappointed with myself as SS was the game I booked the coming friday and monday off work for so I could have a 4 day weekend with

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Lupin the Wolf said:
Metroid Prime Trilogy.
I'd sooner compare this to the Wii Play Motion and Flingsmash controller bundles :p

Metroid Prime Trilogy was a NoA/NoE pet project, not the usual massive print run Nintendo title.

And like Mario All Stars 25th Anniversary, even if it sells out, they'll reprint.

Top Bottom