• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Big One said:
Okay for one you have to remember that when it comes to mini-games, Twilight Princess really does have considerably less than Skyward Sword. Say otherwise all you want, but this is a straight up fact. Twilight Princess barely has any mini-games at all for the most part and I'm surprised you'd even make that point.

I listed out all the minigames in both, and Twilight Princess had quite a lot more? Or did I miss something?

Big One said:
I agree Twilight Princess has great dungeons but I think Skyward Sword overall has better dungeons. Most of the dungeons with the exception of the Skyview Temple and Earth Temple are overall better designed, more challenging, and more fun than any of their counterparts in Twilight Princess or Ocarina of Time. The first two dungeons in Skyward Sword are still better than the first two dungeons in Twilight Princess also.

Man, I couldn't disagree more, especially with that last statement. But again, to each their own.

Big One said:
Sandship
is also completely superior to Snowpeak Ruins which are both untraditional dungeons, but the later is still stuck in traditional block moving puzzle roots making it more dated despite the unique theme it has.

I will never agree with that, but ok.
Sandship
was a good dungeon, but not Snowpeak Ruins good.

Big One said:
I'm not even sure how you can argue against the combat and overworld design. I literally have no words for this in how you think either Twilight Princess or Ocarina of Time are superior to this as I find this quite baffling. I did before I played the game, and I'm even more baffled after playing it. It's a valid complaint to say there are a lack of variety when it comes to areas, but the overall design of them + the game's combat is superior to any 3D Zelda yet. Skyward Sword is the only 3D Zelda that is able to capture the tight design of 2D Zelda games, put also the most challenging Zelda game yet (sans Zelda II) in terms of difficulty.

Twilight Princess had those advanced skills you could learn, which was something Nintendo had been tinkering with for awhile in the series. I'm the type who prefers advanced combat in the form of a variety of moves and skills rather than what was offered in Skyward Sword. Not saying Skyward Sword was bad at all, I said I liked the combat in that game, but I believe the types of things they were doing in Twilight Princess was the direction I would have preferred.

Challenging? No. Zelda 1, 2, and 3 are much more challenging than Skyward Sword, or any of the 3D Zeldas to be honest.

Also, in no way can I see how Skyward Sword captures the "tight designs" of the 2D overworlds. For example A Link to the Past has a seamlessly connected overworld with lots of choice and freedom in terms of what you could do at times, though Zelda 1 is the king of that freedom. But A Link to the Past also had two worlds interconnected so that when you affected one, it could have repercussions on the other. The Light World/Dark World concept was brilliant, and if you think the Sky zone and the various regions of the land below in Skyward Sword is similar, I think you're dead wrong.

The only game to come close to A Link to the Past was Ocarina of Time because it emulated that game in so many ways, but transferred that experience into the 3D space. And for the record, A Link to the Past is the best Zelda game IMO.

Big One said:
I don't think I can convince you of this otherwise but once more people play this game the more people will disagree with you, which doesn't bode well for your impressions.

I do not require anyone to agree or even accept my views on Skyward Sword, so what do you mean this doesn't bode well for my impressions? I do ask that you tolerate them, just like I tolerate you extreme positions. I don't agree with much of what you say, but it's all valid praise/criticism. You get that the problem I have sometimes with your posts is that you have a not-too-subtle agenda to discredit/disprove my opinions. Timeline debates with facts are one thing, but impressions are another. You also seem to have this prejudice based on me "lying" in the past or something, which whatever the case is, I wish you'd get over it and just focus on constructive debate like most of your posts so far have been since you mellowed out.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
chalkitdown1 said:
To someone who's completed the third dungeon and is on to the next task, I need a little help.

Where do I find the
windmill propeller
? Searched all over for the damn thing. It's driving me mad.

go to Eldin Volcano. Land near the fire temple. Go off to the left (if you're facing temple entrance). Will be down that side dirt hill.

DrForester said:
go to Eldin Volcano. Land near the fire temple. Go off to the left (if you're facing temple entrance). Will be down that side dirt hill.

Thanks a bunch. For some reason I thought it was in the forest and was searching all over the fucking place for it.

Big One

Banned
TSA said:
I listed out all the minigames in both, and Twilight Princess had quite a lot more? Or did I miss something?
There's tons of mini-games you missed and also a good portion of the mini-games in Twilight Princess are forced and therefor not the equivalent of Fun Fun Island for example. I wouldn't put the bird training with targets as a mini-game either.

TSA said:
Man, I couldn't disagree more, especially with that last statement. But again, to each their own.
Well to each your own but I'm really not sure how you could even consider TP's Forest Temple to be even remotely decent and not sure how you don't think Skyview Temple is better. Once you play both alongside each other you'll realize this.

I feel like a lot of your points are rooted in your previous experiences with Zelda games rather than actual fact. If you misplacing mini-games wasn't enough, saying this was:

TSA said:
Challenging? No. Zelda 1, 2, and 3 are much more challenging than Skyward Sword, or any of the 3D Zeldas to be honest.
This entire quote is a joke every one of those games except for Zelda II are ridiculously easy and contain absolutely no solid challenge whatsoever. Even if you make an argument for Ocarina of Time, you simply cannot for either Wind Waker or Twilight Princess which have considerably lower end difficulty than Skyward Sword.

I know you're probably one of those people who think Zelda 1 and ALttP are hard but they aren't, as well designed as they are, they're both arguably easier than any of the 3D Zelda. Zelda 1 is only difficult in the sense that you dunno where the fuck you're going, otherwise the game design is the simplest in Zelda history and bare bones as crap.

TSA said:
I will never agree with that, but ok. Sandship was a good dungeon, but not Snowpeak Ruins good.
Well okay if you prepare the traditional block moving, hookshot using puzzles then that's fine, but Sandship is still way more fresh in design even though it may not be fresh in aesthetic.

TSA said:
Twilight Princess had those advanced skills you could learn, which was something Nintendo had been tinkering with for awhile in the series. I'm the type who prefers advanced combat in the form of a variety of moves and skills rather than what was offered in Skyward Sword. Not saying Skyward Sword was bad at all, I said I liked the combat in that game, but I believe the types of things they were doing in Twilight Princess was the direction I would have preferred.
Just because you prefer Twilight Princess' tacked on combat doesn't mean it's better. The difference is that combat mastery in Skyward Sword is required while Twilight Princess it's just design fluff that you don't even really use in the game itself. You can claim otherwise all you want, but to say that Twilight Princess has more advanced combat is simply a lie.

TSA said:
Also, in no way can I see how Skyward Sword captures the "tight designs" of the 2D overworlds. For example A Link to the Past has a seamlessly connected overworld with lots of choice and freedom in terms of what you could do at times, though Zelda 1 is the king of that freedom. But A Link to the Past also had two worlds interconnected so that when you affected one, it could have repercussions on the other. The Light World/Dark World concept was brilliant, and if you think the Sky zone and the various regions of the land below in Skyward Sword is similar, I think you're dead wrong.

The only game to come close to A Link to the Past was Ocarina of Time because it emulated that game in so many ways, but transferred that experience into the 3D space. And for the record, A Link to the Past is the best Zelda game IMO.
I'm not talking about the openess of the game, I'm talking about the actual design of the levels themselves. Of course the levels in Skyward Sword are very Mario-like in which you get pretty much a linear path to go on in a series of challenges, but the actual level designs are very tightly fit in and full of content. This is what defines A Link to the Past and other 2D Zelda games, not openess but level design where every area you go to matters considerably with no huge open fields ala Ocarina of Time. Hell even arguably games like Link's Awakening is very linear in design, but since the game is designed to be that way there isn't really much to complain about.

Not even gonna touch upon the Ocarina of Time comment that much since that's completely a preference basis, but I do think to say Ocarina of Time is similar in structure to A Link to the Past is straight up factually wrong. A Link to the Past never involved running in huge open fields only to discover a single rock to blow up a bomb, nor did it have a lack of enemies on said overworld.

TSA said:
I do not require anyone to agree or even accept my views on Skyward Sword, so what do you mean this doesn't bode well for my impressions? I do ask that you tolerate them, just like I tolerate you extreme positions. I don't agree with much of what you say, but it's all valid praise/criticism. You get that the problem I have sometimes with your posts is that you have a not-too-subtle agenda to discredit/disprove my opinions. Timeline debates with facts are one thing, but impressions are another. You also seem to have this prejudice based on me "lying" in the past or something, which whatever the case is, I wish you'd get over it and just focus on constructive debate like most of your posts so far have been since you mellowed out.
TSA there's no need to lie through your teeth, if people here knew you like I'd did you wouldn't be here posting your impressions for people to gawk at and appreciate. However what I meant was that once people actually play the game, people who absolutely want to find major faults with the game are going to discover that most of your complaints are very over-exaggerated, nitpicky, and just plain biased (such as your hate for Ghirahim and dislike of linear design). To put it simple your impressions won't age very well once people actually play the game and know what it's about. I really think that you need to cool down and realize Ocarina of Time isn't really meant to be the standard of what Zelda should be.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
@TSA and other impressions.

Yikes, based on the argumentative 'final impressions' I am liking almost nothing I am hearing. I don't give a shit about the TP vs. SS argument, but what is being said of SS in comparison stokes my exact fears that this is yet another braindead, limiting, adventure for non-gamers and hardcore Zelda zealots. Horrendous difficulty balance, bloated empty overworld, and irritating tooltips that STILL don't disappear? God damnit.

Big One said:
TSA there's no need to lie through your teeth, if people here knew you like I'd did you wouldn't be here posting your impressions for people to gawk at and appreciate. However what I meant was that once people actually play the game, people who absolutely want to find major faults with the game are going to discover that most of your complaints are very over-exaggerated, nitpicky, and just plain biased (such as your hate for Ghirahim and dislike of linear design). To put it simple your impressions won't age very well once people actually play the game and know what it's about. I really think that you need to cool down and realize Ocarina of Time isn't really meant to be the standard of what Zelda should be.

1) Where am I lying in my impressions? And know me like you know? So you're well acquainted with my online activities in the past few years. Congrats, that doesn't mean you know me any better than anyone else in this thread, in all honesty. It's this type of crap that's starting to get on my nerves. I don't want to put you on ignore because you do occasionally say interesting things.

2) A Link to the Past is the standard of what Zelda should be. Try actually reading what I wrote. I said it was the best Zelda game, IMO. How can anything other than that be the standard in my book?

Other note...

Finally caved in and bought these.

1.png

zelda-cards.png

legend-cards.png

zelda-cardsr.png

Makes me realize again how much better Skyward Sword Zelda looks.
Edit: Eh, why isn't the Wind Waker the ace for that game's suite? Boo.

legend166

ShockingAlberto said:
Zelda prioritizes control over animation, while Uncharted 3 does the exact opposite. It's like comparing holding an apple to dropping an orange, it hitting your foot, and rolling really far away.

Man, this is SO TRUE. I just made this point in the AusGAF thread where I was giving some Uncharted 3 impressions.

1. Drake's running animations. Well, the way he controls in general. I feel like I'm controlling a drunk person. I understand why they added all those extra animations. Because it makes him look like Indiana Jones. He's stumbling all over, pushing off walls, doing this weird "look over his shoulder and skip" thing when he changes directions. That looks good in a movie because it's telling me the guy isn't really a super hero. But in a video game, where I have to control that person, it's annoying. Really, really annoying.

Give me stiff looking animations that lead to better control over 'realistic' looking animations every single day of the week.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
TSA said:
1) Where am I lying in my impressions? And know me like you know? So you're well acquainted with my online activities in the past few years. Congrats, that doesn't mean you know me any better than anyone else in this thread, in all honesty. It's this type of crap that's starting to get on my nerves. I don't want to put you on ignore because you do occasionally say interesting things.

2) A Link to the Past is the standard of what Zelda should be. Try actually reading what I wrote. I said it was the best Zelda game, IMO. How can anything other than that be the standard in my book?

Other note...

Finally caved in and bought these.

1.png

zelda-cards.png

legend-cards.png

zelda-cardsr.png

Makes me realize again how much better Skyward Sword Zelda looks.
Edit: Eh, why isn't the Wind Waker the ace for that game's suite? Boo.
Where did you get the cards?

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Feep said:
TSA, BigOne, do I need to separate you two?
Please don't do it, I'm enjoying the actual debate! I wish you would join in!

I want this game so bad. Hopefully an old friend from when I managed a Gamestop some years back can get it to me early. I don't think my brain can wait until Sunday...

Brandon F said:

Yikes, based on the argumentative 'final impressions' I am liking almost nothing I am hearing. I don't give a shit about the TP vs. SS argument, but what is being said of SS in comparison stokes my exact fears that this is yet another braindead, limiting, adventure for non-gamers and hardcore Zelda zealots. Horrendous difficulty balance, bloated empty overworld, and irritating tooltips that STILL don't disappear? God damnit.

That's not the case at all, relax. I for one can't relate to most of TSAs negative impressions/comments. 25 hrs in and it really needs to go downhill from here for it not to be my favorite Zelda ever. It's fabulous.

I really didn't like Snowpeak Ruins that much. Replaying multiple Zelda games recently, it's a cool setting but it feels like a pretty standard dungeon with some annoying elements like lugging around cannonballs, ice floors, those freezy things that I can't remember the name of, and ice block puzzles. It had the ball and chain and the neat "you're wandering around their house" pretext to it, I guess.

(also i replayed lttp and i have to agree with drinky crow that the latter parts really fall apart in terms of dungeons and bosses)

Big One said:
Well to each your own but I'm really not sure how you could even consider TP's Forest Temple to be even remotely decent and not sure how you don't think Skyview Temple is better. Once you play both alongside each other you'll realize this.

TP's Forest Temple was one of the weakest in that game, but I'd take it over Skyview Temple. I liked the miniboss better than Stalfos, and I liked the puzzles based around the Gale Boomerang. The atmosphere was also more to my liking.

Big One said:
I feel like a lot of your points are rooted in your previous experiences with Zelda games rather than actual fact. If you misplacing mini-games wasn't enough, saying this was...

This entire quote is a joke every one of those games except for Zelda II are ridiculously easy and contain absolutely no solid challenge whatsoever. Even if you make an argument for Ocarina of Time, you simply cannot for either Wind Waker or Twilight Princess which have considerably lower end difficulty than Skyward Sword.

This is what you aren't getting, and you need to get it soon or you're going on ignore. OPINIONS aren't wrong. They can be misguided, misinformed, or whatever, but they are not FACTS. Facts can be right or wrong, opinions, by definition, can't. I am almost willing to bet my entire Zelda collection that on average, more people died in Zelda 1, 2, or 3 more than they will in Skyward Sword on their first play through. I also think people would get stuck more in Zelda 1 or 2, too. For me, Zelda 1, 2, and 3 are more challenging than me. I died 96 times on A Link to the Past in my first play through alone. I don't think I can beat Zelda II without dying even to this day.

Big One said:
Well okay if you prepare the traditional block moving, hookshot using puzzles then that's fine, but Sandship is still way more fresh in design even though it may not be fresh in aesthetic.

Sandship
is just traditional block moving, shooting your bow, and stepping on switches when you boil it down. Come on, the puzzles in Skyward Sword aren't the most innovative here, just some cool ways they're executed. I beat it in 25 hours because nothing came close to stumping me except something pretty late in the game, but that was just plain stupid rather than anything clever.

Big One said:
Just because you prefer Twilight Princess' tacked on combat doesn't mean it's better. The difference is that combat mastery in Skyward Sword is required while Twilight Princess it's just design fluff that you don't even really use in the game itself. You can claim otherwise all you want, but to say that Twilight Princess has more advanced combat is simply a lie.

Again, seriously, this is a subjective thing. You can't quantify this stuff. It's not fact, so it's not lying, it's giving my honest impression. Mastery of skill? You really want to get into that? I'll show you mastery of these games like you've never seen before if you keep this up. I think I'm well qualified to judge what I think takes more skill, and I believe Skyward Sword is on par with Twilight Princess in the skill needed to advance and excel. Hero Mode is another story.

Big One said:
I'm not talking about the openess of the game, I'm talking about the actual design of the levels themselves. Of course the levels in Skyward Sword are very Mario-like in which you get pretty much a linear path to go on in a series of challenges, but the actual level designs are very tightly fit in and full of content. This is what defines A Link to the Past and other 2D Zelda games, not openess but level design where every area you go to matters considerably with no huge open fields ala Ocarina of Time. Hell even arguably games like Link's Awakening is very linear in design, but since the game is designed to be that way there isn't really much to complain about.

The factor you're not considering is that not only do these individual pieces have great designs in the 2D games, which I agree with you about, it's how they're connected together and structured. Skyward Sword's backtracking has been compared to Metroid, but I don't even see that. Metroid games, Symphony of the Night, Dark Souls, etc - they both have the great environments with lots of stuff to do PLUS they're interwoven seamlessly to add more immersion and directly affect the gameplay. That element is lost on Skyward Sword. The problem is having to continuously go back to the sky. It just breaks it all up and you get diminished returns.

Big One said:
Not even gonna touch upon the Ocarina of Time comment that much since that's completely a preference basis, but I do think to say Ocarina of Time is similar in structure to A Link to the Past is straight up factually wrong. A Link to the Past never involved running in huge open fields only to discover a single rock to blow up a bomb, nor did it have a lack of enemies on said overworld.

A Link to the Past
- Must collect three items to claim the Master Sword
- Claim the Master Sword
- Must then go to an alternate version of Hyrule
- Must rescue seven maidens in order to break open the way into Ganon's Tower
- Both worlds are huge, with lots of exploration, and various geographic features seamlessly connected

Ocarina of Time
- Must collect three items to claim the Master Sword
- Claim the Master Sword
- Must then go to an alternate version of Hyrule
- Must awaken seven sages in order to break open the way into Ganon's Castle
- Both worlds are huge, with lots of exploration, and various geographic features seamlessly connected

The biggest difference between the two is one is a 2D experience, the other is a 3D experience. That is, I admit, a pretty big difference, but the games are so similar in structure it isn't even funny. If you meant the actual, physical geography, then...wait...Kakariko Village? Death Mountain? Lake Hylia? The Lost Woods? Hyrule Castle? Okay, so their position is off...sort of.

TSA said:
- Must collect 7 items in order to break open the way into Ganon's Tower
um *snort* excuse me but you need 6 medallions in OoT, and one is given to you by Rauru without a dungeon *adjusts pocket protector, edits wiki*

EmCeeGramr said:
um *snort* excuse me but you need 6 medallions in OoT, and one is given to you by Rauru without a dungeon *adjusts pocket protector, edits wiki*

You quoted me before I proof-read and edited. If you were truly a nerd, you would have pointed out how it's Ganon's Castle in Ocarina of Time, not Ganon's Tower. I fixed that, too. Also, you and drinky have issues with the later dungeons in ALttP? I need to hear this - where is this discussion?

Dartastic said:
Didn't Nintendo have an interview with Zelda Williams recently? Anyone have a link?
http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/32473/video-zelda-williams-worst-chat-up-lines/

TSA said:
You quoted me before I proof-read and edited. Also, you and drinky have issues with the later dungeons in ALttP? I need to hear this - where is this discussion?
He's expressed it in the past that he was never enthralled with LttP at all (which I think is going too far), but yeah, it got recently mentioned on... another forum. Basically I felt the later dungeons were more annoying than challenging and the bosses fairly simplistic button mashing affairs.

EmCeeGramr said:
He's expressed it in the past that he was never enthralled with LttP at all (which I think is going too far), but yeah, it got recently mentioned on... another forum. Basically I felt the later dungeons were more annoying than challenging and the bosses fairly simplistic button mashing affairs.

I think most of the 2D Zelda boss battles are button mashing affairs, it's just the patterns they throw at you where you have to find an opening and then exploit it (which is when you spam). However, I don't know about the annoying part about the dungeons, I would need to see examples to understand what was meant. Honestly, though, look at GAF. So many different favorites in this series. Nobody is anymore right than the next.

I also want to make it clear, Skyward Sword isn't a bad game, it's a pretty good game. I think I am a bit harsher on these games than most others, but I demand the best out of these games. And truth be told, as much as I am complaining about the game, look at the facts (here you go Big One). I beat the game 3 times already, and am on a fourth play through. Unless I have some disorder, why would I keep playing something I don't like?

Gummb

TSA said:
I think most of the 2D Zelda boss battles are button mashing affairs, it's just the patterns they throw at you where you have to find an opening and then exploit it (which is when you spam). However, I don't know about the annoying part about the dungeons, I would need to see examples to understand what was meant. Honestly, though, look at GAF. So many different favorites in this series. Nobody is anymore right than the next.

I also want to make it clear, Skyward Sword isn't a bad game, it's a pretty good game. I think I am a bit harsher on these games than most others, but I demand the best out of these games. And truth be told, as much as I am complaining about the game, look at the facts (here you go Big One). I beat the game 3 times already, and am on a fourth play through. Unless I have some disorder, why would I keep playing something I don't like?
I think you actually love the game, but are too afraid to show it.

And that's my opinion, so your opinion doesn't matter on the subject. :D

Gummb said:

Some kind of cycle. I'm not sure which one. It's not the GAF Cycle or the Sonic Cycle. I don't even think... yeahhh it's the Zelda Cycle for sure.

Here in about 5 years this game will be fucking incredible. But for now it ain't got shit on Skyrim.

Raw64life

So I guess you just flat out can't play this game without a motion plus controller? Shows how much I've been paying attention. Guess I should have pre-ordered the controller bundle in hindsight.

rhino4evr

I'm one of those rare gamers that actually thinks the series gets better with each new game. I loved Zelda 3 when I was a kid, but would I consider it a better game then Twilight Princess? No way. The Series has continued to improve with each installment.

Gummb

brandonh83 said:
Here in about 5 years this game will be fucking incredible. But for now it ain't got shit on Skyrim.

especially the combat and puzzles and game performance.

Gummb

rhino4evr said:
I'm one of those rare gamers that actually thinks the series gets better with each new game. I loved Zelda 3 when I was a kid, but would I consider it a better game then Twilight Princess? No way. The Series has continued to improve with each installment.
I would generally agree, but the triforce quest in WW is unforgivable.
[edit] double post, I suck

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
All the 3D Zeldas have their various strengths and I love them all for them. OoT was just a great package overall. Majora's Mask had the best stories and sidequests. Windwaker had so much charm and the best sense of exploration imo. Twilight Princess had the best dungeons and boss fights. The only true crime about TP was the lack of a boss rush mode, what the hell Nintendo? It looks like Skyward Sword is going to have the best combat and I can't wait to play it.

Red

Gummb said:

And that's my opinion, so your opinion doesn't matter on the subject. :D
He's said it's great multiple times. Despite his complaints, he's had a lot of praise for the game.

On aLttP: the only dungeon I'd say is poor is Turtle Rock. The platform making is too much of a boring, one-off thing for me. Love the whole rest of the game.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
From the board it seems like this game still isn't better than MM for me, which isn't particularly bad. I'm still eager to get my hands on the game but I'm sort of disappointed. It seems like there's a divide on TP and this game though. I personally hated almost all of the dungeon in TP as I found them very lackluster in difficulty and creativity.

Pyrokai

It's amazing how much people's opinions are affecting my own of a game I've never played. Why does this affect me so much? I was so pumped for the game, and now not so much. My mind is pitiful, because I'm still pretty sure I'm going to love it. I mustn't be persuaded!

kayos90 said:
From the board it seems like this game still isn't better than MM for me, which isn't particularly bad. I'm still eager to get my hands on the game but I'm sort of disappointed. It seems like there's a divide on TP and this game though. I personally hated almost all of the dungeon in TP as I found them very lackluster in difficulty and creativity.
That's the beauty of the series though. I could never get past the whole "24 hour thingie" in MM and it really turned me off. So much so that I have no desire to ever touch it again.

I'm not sure if I even have a fave Zelda but for nostalgic reasons it might just be Zelda 2.

Pyrokai said:
It's amazing how much people's opinions are affecting my own of a game I've never played. Why does this affect me so much? I was so pumped for the game, and now not so much. My mind is pitiful, because I'm still pretty sure I'm going to love it. I mustn't be persuaded!
Just buy it with an open mind and let yourself decide where it stands after you've finished it.

Red

kayos90 said:
TP dungeons were so awesome after the disasters of WW. I don't know that they can be called the series' best unquestionably, but at least they were a return to form.

Brandon F said:

Actually, sounds like alot of criticism is subjective. TSA and BigOne, for example, have both played the game but have different opinions and perspectives about it, and you will probably have your own pro/cons when you play it. Basically, it is like any other Zelda.

Epic Tales of Penis said:
Just buy it with an open mind and let yourself decide where it stands after you've finished it.

Good advice.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Crunched said:
TP dungeons were so awesome after the disasters of WW. I don't know that they can be called the series' best unquestionably, but at least they were a return to form.

I still think the dungeons and bossfights were amazing in TP. Putting aside the fact that the items were barely used outside of the dungeons, their use within their dungeons was such a blast. Stalord with the spinner? Fucking awesome.

Mii

Banned
For anyone playing: Is this game just as much within the Chrono Trigger universe as it is the Zelda universe? First we saw
Skyloft
, and now a ton of the music sounds like it belongs to
Zeal
. This seems particularly true of the songs for the
Lanayru Mining Facility
on youtube right now.

The game also seems to take from the JRPGs of the 90s with the theme of
magic vs technology
. However, with Skyward Sword it is
Skyloft as technology and OOT+ 'Hyrule' as magic
while Chrono Trigger is
Zeal as magic and 1000AD+ Guardia as technology

Am I on to something? Have modern day Nintendo developers grown up on a diet of 90s JRPGs?

lwilliams3 said:
Actually, sounds like alot of criticism is subjective. TSA and BigOne, for example, have both played the game but have different opinions and perspectives about it, and you will probably have your own pro/cons when you play it. Basically, it is like any other Zelda.

This is like every other Zelda pretty much, I mean I dislike Majora's Mask and Wind Waker and there are people here that probably have me on ignore because of it. Every Zelda is so divisive. This will be no different. Some people are going to complain that some things don't work for them, that it's not made enough of a significant step forward, yadda yadda. Some people are going to love it and feel right at home. Some may even call it the best-- while some will surely call it the worst.

No review or impression has swayed my hype in any direction because of this. I won't know shit until I've played it myself.

Top Bottom