• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Mael

marc^o^ said:
Important message to lucky french members: the game is available at LA FNAC des Halles (check other FNAC outlets as well).

Mario Land is available too :)

Yessssss!
That actually means that the game should be available everywhere in France knowing how it works....

Got my hands on it now (some austrian stores already have it and sell it if you ask them nicely ;)), played for around 2-3 hours. I really tought this time the intro would be quicker, especially after it took a shit load of time to finally get out of the village in Twilight Princess.

But no. They're teaching you the same stuff as always (I'm up here, press the Z button to talk to me, then I'll find a chore for you!), you have to find a dudes cat, you have to go through three scenarios that are all about Zelda almost kissing Link and then not doing it, there's a shit ton of dialogue (almost feels like Metal Gear), there's tons of little tutorials...

Looking back to A Link to the Past, I woke up, I got my sword, I owned faces as the little elf boy. I was awesome. I'm sure I'll also love Skyward Sword in the end, but I'd really, really, really be all for streamlining the hell out of these ultra-long intros that are pretty much what any Zelda fan has played thorugh 10 times already.

tsab

thomasmahler said:
Got my hands on it now (some austrian stores already have it and sell it if you ask them nicely ;)), played for around 2-3 hours. I really tought this time the intro would be quicker, especially after it took a shit load of time to finally get out of the village in Twilight Princess.

But no. They're teaching you the same stuff as always, you have to find a dudes cat, you have to go through three scenarios that are all about Zelda almost kissing Link and then not doing it, there's a shit ton of dialogue (almost feels like Metal Gear), there's tons of little tutorials...

Looking back to A Link to the Past, I woke up, I got my sword, I owned faces as the little elf boy. I was awesome. I'm sure I'll also love Skyward Sword in the end, but I'd really, really, really be all for streamlining the hell out of these ultra-long intros that are pretty much what any Zelda fan has played thorugh 10 times already.

Sure the pace is different. But don't forget you have to be "trained" and "intro'd" (Am I saying it right?) to a new control scheme.
As for the Zelda thing, I found it cute :p

Sinthetic

thomasmahler said:

But no. They're teaching you the same stuff as always (I'm up here, press the Z button to talk to me, then I'll find a chore for you!), you have to find a dudes cat, you have to go through three scenarios that are all about Zelda almost kissing Link and then not doing it, there's a shit ton of dialogue (almost feels like Metal Gear), there's tons of little tutorials...

Foreplay man, don't expect to just dive in! ;\

I don't know if this is the best Zelda but it has some of the most original mechanics and elements, especially the (post-4th dungeon spoiler)
Time rewinding stones and how it's used to turn the wasteland around the ship into water.

I still think MM is the most creative Zelda game to date. Transforming into different races was great, and an interesting new way to complete puzzles and dungeons.

-And the atmosphere was great. The artstyle was darker. The house with the scared kid near stone dungeon was eerie. The flute playing with the giant dinosaur was hilariously eerie.

-The music was great. Loved the giants theme.

-MM was just a bizarre game. There was a sense of dispair and urgency throughout the world due to the moon crashing onto the world.

And I really enjoy the debate between TSA and Big One. Maybe it needs its own thread or not.

Red

Jason's Ultimatum said:
The skeleton.

BTW, is it against TOS to discuss our opinions on walkthroughs of the game? Not spoilerific, but discussing whether we liked the music, art, and gameplay?
People have been doing so and there are no bannings yet, but I don't know the official rules. Maybe pm EatChildren?

Bit-Bit

For the first time in a long time, I feel like it sucks to be a USA citizen. All because I don't get to play Zelda while everyone else on the internet is rubbing it into my face.

Dascu

Took the liberty of compiling a more complete list of the side activities in the game, based on what I've seen and heard online, whether from official sources or not. Spoilers beware!

Mini-Games (repeatable, give rewards):
- Fun Fun Island skydiving (on... Fun Fun Island)
- Bamboo-cutting (on Bamboo Island)
- Bug Island challenge (inside Thunderhead)
- Pumpkin Shoot (in Skyloft)
- "Minesweeper" digging game (in Eldin)
- Boss Rush challenge (in Lanayru)
- Silent Realm challenge (in Lanayru)
- Playing the harp (at the Pumpkin Pub)
- Carrying pumpkins (at the Pumpkin Pub)
- (very minor) Cleaning Pipit's house

Other, non-repeatable special stuff:
- Minecart ride
- Tadnote collecting
- Spiral strike (?) training on your Loftwing

Collectathons:
- Goddess Cubes
- Heart Pieces
- Bugs
- Loot&Treasure for Item upgrading

And a ton of side-quests to help the NPCs. Next to potential quest rewards, you also get Gratitude Crystals which give you rewards from another NPC. Think OoT's Gold Skultullas + MM's NPC quests.

senador

Banned
This probably been discussed before...

Who is ordering from Amazon? When do games released on Sunday usually show up? My delivery estimate is showing Wednesday right now for 2 day shipping. :/

senador said:

Who is ordering from Amazon? When do games released on Sunday usually show up? My delivery estimate is showing Wednesday right now for 2 day shipping. :/
They likely won't, or can't, ship then out before Monday.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Why do some of you guys keep ordering Nintendo games online when you know there's almost no chance of getting the game day 1 that way? You don't have any stores nearby that sales games?

Dascu said:
Took the liberty of compiling a more complete list of the side activities in the game, based on what I've seen and heard online, whether from official sources or not. Spoilers beware!

Mini-Games (repeatable, give rewards):
- Fun Fun Island skydiving (on... Fun Fun Island)
- Bamboo-cutting (on Bamboo Island)
- Bug Island challenge (inside Thunderhead)
- Pumpkin Shoot (in Skyloft)
- "Minesweeper" digging game (in Eldin)
- Boss Rush challenge (in Lanayru)
- Silent Realm challenge (in Lanayru)
- Playing the harp (at the Pumpkin Pub)
- Carrying pumpkins (at the Pumpkin Pub)
- (very minor) Cleaning Pipit's house

Other, non-repeatable special stuff:
- Minecart ride
- Tadnote collecting
- Spiral strike (?) training on your Loftwing

Collectathons:
- Goddess Cubes
- Heart Pieces
- Bugs
- Loot&Treasure for Item upgrading

And a ton of side-quests to help the NPCs.
A lot of the helping NPC sidequests such as cleaning Pipit's house and carrying Pumpkins relate to a much bigger sidequest for collecting Gratitude crystals. Also didn't we see Link paddling a boat in one of the older trailers

senador

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
They likely won't, or can't, ship then out before Monday.

Cool thanks. That makes sense. I guess I'll just have a late start on it.

BY2K said:
Why do some of you guys keep ordering Nintendo games online when you know there's almost no chance of getting the game day 1 that way? You don't have any stores nearby that sales games?

Amazon FTW, duh. ;)

For me personally its because I have credit on Amazon. The other reason is I have quit buying at GameStop and refuse to go there. Sure there are other stores around but like I said, I have credit. I don't think I've bought a Nintendo game on release day since the 64 days though.

senador said:

Yeah I cancelled it a while ago because of that and went straight to the sweet nectar of the Nintendo World Store (still hoping for a Saturday event release). It will probably not ship until Monday from Amazon.

J@hranimo

Banned
Ok I have a quick question about the Wii remote + bundle.

How long is this bundle lasting? Until the end of the year? I don't know if I can get that right now.

Dascu

BY2K said:
??? You can re-do those?
Apparently,
the NPC who offers you the boss rush challenge also offers you a Silent Realm challenge. As I have not played it myself, I don't know the full details.

Godracos

thomasmahler said:

Hey dude! I'm from Austria, too! Where did you ask for the game? Somewhere in Vienna? If you don't wanna talk about it in public, send me a PM :)

senador said:

Varies. I got my 3DS ON Sunday through Ensenda, but every other time they arrive Tuesday or Wednesday.

thomasmahler said:

Aren't a couple of these things you mentioned optional?

So I'm pretty much buying a Wii motion plus just for this game. If I'm in Australia there's no problem if I import from overseas right? Would there be any region/power supply compatibility issues? Also would it be better to get the Wii motion plus controller or just buy the attachment?

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I still think MM is the most creative Zelda game to date.

list of awesomet things
Transforming into different races was great, and an interesting new way to complete puzzles and dungeons.

-And the atmosphere was great. The artstyle was darker. The house with the scared kid near stone dungeon was eerie. The flute playing with the giant dinosaur was hilariously eerie.

-MM was just a bizarre game. There was a sense of dispair and urgency throughout the world due to the moon crashing onto the world.

And I really enjoy the debate between TSA and Big One. Maybe it needs its own thread or not.
Yeah defintely agree on this. Besides what you listed, the Masks were also a really nice feature. Not only did you have the transforming Masks, but all those different masks with various functions was such a great idea. While not as usefull as a full fledged weapon, just the sheer number of different masks was more than enough to give Link so many different powers and really make the game feel fresh all the time.

I also think a big factor that contributed to the bizarre eerie atmosphere was that the game look almost identically to OoT graphic wise, but because of the setting it was like some twisted dream. Adding OoT characters and completely change thier behaviour(see: the witch) was the icing on the cake.

lucablight said:
So I'm pretty much buying a Wii motion plus just for this game. If I'm in Australia there's no problem if I import from overseas right? Would there be any region/power supply compatibility issues? Also would it be better to get the Wii motion plus controller or just buy the attachment?
Wait, you do realise that you can get the game bundled with a unique gold Zelda wiimote(with built-in motion+) cheaper than buying them seperatly.

Any Wii peripheral can be played in any region.

TheExodu5

Banned
thomasmahler said:

Ugh. Pretty sure I'll be skipping it, then. I skipped the entirety of Twilight Princess because I hated the intro so much.

Nice OP.

So nice, I will sit on my toilet with my pants on...

ibxosEJEsIrWS9.jpg

cajunator

Banned
no, 5. I just like to say bloody hell.
It's nifty.

Also a reminder:

www.zeldagamesaid.co.uk

They played about 85% of Majoras Mask but it was too beastly to finish. They are now working through Minish Cap to make up for lost time.
Next up will be Wind Waker.

Aeana

TheExodu5 said:
Ugh. Pretty sure I'll be skipping it, then. I skipped the entirety of Twilight Princess because I hated the intro so much.
The intro is a fraction of the length of TP's, and the tutorial stuff is much better integrated into the game (and explains some things that are actually new to the game). You start fighting stuff much earlier on, too.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Jason's Ultimatum said:
I still think MM is the most creative Zelda game to date. Transforming into different races was great, and an interesting new way to complete puzzles and dungeons.

One of the best Zelda comments I've seen on GAF.

cajunator

Banned
MM is VERY creative and watching a playthrough reminded me about it again. I fucking love that game but it is pretty hard. IT is also really disturbing at times.
Such a brilliant fucking game.

Dascu

Aeana said:
The intro is a fraction of the length of TP's, and the tutorial stuff is much better integrated into the game (and explains some things that are actually new to the game). You start fighting stuff much earlier on, too.
The only thing that looks like a true tutorial is the Loftwing part, which is totally new to the series. Surprisingly, sword combat does not have a (mandatory) tutorial.

cajunator said:
MM is VERY creative and watching a playthrough reminded me about it again. I fucking love that game but it is pretty hard. IT is also really disturbing at times.
Such a brilliant fucking game.
Thanks for remidning me about the Zelda marathon I keep forgetting about them.

And yeah I can't wait to replay MM sometime after SS. I don't think any dungeon has blown my mind as hard as Stone Tower did when you realised what made it special.

And Majora itself was a really cool character, eventhough I was so disappointed the first time I fought against him as he was such a pushover.

tumblr_lhgi50y3Gk1qhb4jjo1_400.gif

BY2K

Membero Americo
Nintendo World Store will have a pre-release event.

WHAT:

On Nov. 19, one day before the U.S. release of The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword video game for the Wii™ console, Nintendo will host a festive launch event at its flagship retail store in New York City, Nintendo World. Attendees can look forward to a variety of memorable offerings, including the unveiling of a Master Sword replica, trivia challenges and a special The Legend of Zelda historical showcase. The event is sure to attract consumers and video game fans from every generation as the fan-favorite Zelda™ series celebrates its 25th anniversary.

In addition to celebrating the game’s Nov. 20 launch, consumers will be able to purchase the game during the event, making them among the first in the country to bring The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword home. Fans who purchase the game during event hours will also receive a limited-edition poster while supplies last.

For more information about The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, visit http://www.zelda.com/skywardsword.

WHO:

Kids, adults, The Legend of Zelda fans and video game fans of all ages

WHEN:

Saturday, Nov. 19, 2011
9 a.m. – 1 p.m. ET
• 9 a.m. – Doors open to consumers

• 10 a.m. – Unveiling of Master Sword replica

WHERE:

Nintendo World
10 Rockefeller Plaza
New York, NY 10020
VISUALS:

Fans of all ages dressed in The Legend of Zelda costumes and lining up to be among the first U.S. consumers to purchase the game
The unveiling of the Master Sword replica and eager consumers taking photos with the replica
Fans enjoying trivia activities, limited-edition prize giveaways and hands-on demos of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword against a backdrop of large-scale Zelda artwork
Fans lining up to be among the first to purchase The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Lucky NYC people!
LLShC.gif

Top Bottom