• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Anony

you gotta go to that room where you first made the water levels rise.

thanks
i went to that room didnt notice the veins there to climb up

fucking stupid

the moledude asks for a map, WHY THE FUCK WOULD U DO THAT, i thought i had to show him a map somehow

thanks
i went to that room didnt notice the veins there to climb up

fucking stupid

the moledude asks for a map, WHY THE FUCK WOULD U DO THAT, i thought i had to show him a map somehow

yeah that was a wtf moment too. but i remembered the
soil patch
from the first time i was there so i knew exactly where to go. i thought you would have to plant seeds like in OoT lol

Well, finally got started on this. Just beat the first boss fight and...hate to say it, but this really isn't doing it for me. The motion plus is proving to be more of a hindrance than a help. Half the time the sword doesn't swing in the direction I want it to and the constant recalibration is super-distracting.

This game was supposed to be the one to really justify all this motion-control malarkey and it has yet to prove it for me.

Davey Cakes

I've finally had enough time to really sink my teeth into this game. Right now I'm at the third temple. So far Lanayru Mines/Desert has been quite an interesting area to traverse. Good use of environmental exploration/puzzles.

For some reason it feels like this game is a real step up in the pure gameplay department. The uses of items (bombs, beetle, etc.) are already more interesting than they were in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess (from what I can tell), and the combat mechanics are more involved and fun, barring some motion control adjustments.

People really need to put things like hype and expectations aside for a game like this. They also need to avoid rushing through it, AT ALL COSTS. This game was meant to be absorbed and understood slowly. The game offers a lot in terms of engaging the player but it's easy to miss things when you don't have the right mindset going in.

Anyone writing off this game by the time they finish the first temple really needs to stop jumping to conclusions and instead give the game the necessary time to unfold.

Just came in to speak my peace. I've been a long-time Nintendo fan but after the first year or so after the Wii's launch have failed to get excited about most Nintendo games (barring SMG/2). I decided to give Skyward Sword a chance (I found TP dull and didn't finish it), and in spite of the accolades I'm really not finding much reason to bother with Skyward Sword.

I'm in the middle of the first temple and just can't help but feel like I've played this game a dozen times before. The story isn't enough to keep me plodding along. And the motion controls are a little frustrating because I have a shoulder injury.

Sigh. I really wanted to like it, but I'm afraid I'm not going to pick it up again. :-(
That's exceptionally sad. Sorry to hear about your shoulder injury. But honestly, this game does more and more to differentiate itself from previous Zelda games as it goes on. Like I said, I'm only at the third temple but I've definitely noticed not only better combat mechanics, but more satisfying environmental exploration/puzzle-solving and item usage.

Yes, Skyward Sword follows some general trends within the series (forest area, volcano area, desert, bombs, slingshot, etc.) but it also continually provides fresh takes on these aspects while offering completely new experiences too. It's a game that, as I said, unfolds as it goes on and giving up so early in the adventure is pure disservice to the player.

I by no means want to over-praise this game, but it's becoming more and more clear to me that many of Skyward Sword's "issues" are as much or more with the player than they are actually with the game's design itself.

Well, finally got started on this. Just beat the first boss fight and...hate to say it, but this really isn't doing it for me. The motion plus is proving to be more of a hindrance than a help. Half the time the sword doesn't swing in the direction I want it to and the constant recalibration is super-distracting.

This game was supposed to be the one to really justify all this motion-control malarkey and it has yet to prove it for me.

make sure youre holding the remote straight, and then slicing in whatever direction you want to. if you hold the remote in a slight angle, be aware that will affect how the game registers your movements. go to the sparring hall and practice for a bit to get the hang of the sword controls.

also, when the game tells you to put the controller on a flat surface, do you put it face down on the floor?

I've finally had enough time to really sink my teeth into this game. Right now I'm at the third temple. So far Lanayru Mines/Desert has been quite an interesting area to traverse. Good use of environmental exploration/puzzles.

For some reason it feels like this game is a real step up in the pure gameplay department. The uses of items (bombs, beetle, etc.) are already more interesting than they were in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess (from what I can tell), and the combat mechanics are more involved and fun, barring some motion control adjustments.

People really need to put things like hype and expectations aside for a game like this. They also need to avoid rushing through it, AT ALL COSTS. This game was meant to be absorbed and understood slowly. The game offers a lot in terms of engaging the player but it's easy to miss things when you don't have the right mindset going in.

Anyone writing off this game by the time they finish the first temple really needs to stop jumping to conclusions and instead give the game the necessary time to unfold.

slow and steady is the best way to play this game. glad youre taking your time to absorb everything. the game will continue to blow you away so enjoy and take your time.

rou ouh, last boss time D: D:

its been a hell of a long journey, about 30+ hours D: , that last dungeon was really frustrating but amazing too

first and foremost, it sucks that the item descriptions problem returned from TP. i dont understand why nintendo keeps putting this in as its absolutely unnecessary.

second, fi is a mixed bag. i thought the controller and heart notifications were unnecessary after the first one. i also think she didnt give hints when i needed her to, so it was pointless. however, i thought her character was funny in a ridiculous way and was
sad to see her go
. shes no midna but honestly no other sidekick is

thats what stops me from picking up items when i continue my save haha, i hate that description stuff.

lol theres a 100% chance that people will hate Fi more then Navi now, navi haters gonna go away :D , fuck fi

maharg

idspispopd
also, when the game tells you to put the controller on a flat surface, do you put it face down on the floor?

I'd just like to point out that I actually get better results from tilting it up a bit during the calibration. Mostly because fuck if I'm gonna stand for a 50 hour game just to be able to tilt down enough to do some of the things this game wants, and if I actually lay it flat it's almost impossible to get it to register a down motion.

I also hate that it doesn't warn you about that calibration. I find myself scrambling to get the thing in the right position.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I've already been hating on Fi all over this thread, but I actually dug back into TP for the first time in awhile and got up to beating the first dungeon...and holy shit. Midna only came out ONCE the entire dungeon, and you do some surprisingly complex stuff in comparison, I constantly felt like I was about to be abruptly stopped in each room but never was, it felt good! So I somehow don't like Fi even more now.

To the above, I never listened to the calibration thing after the first time. I held it in my hand at a slight natural angle and it seemed to work better for me that way.

pringles

If you're constantly recalibrating you're doing something wrong. I recalibrate like once every 15 hours.

Also, imo, the game gets soooo much better after the 1st temple. Not that I've played that far beyond it.

I'd just like to point out that I actually get better results from tilting it up a bit during the calibration. Mostly because fuck if I'm gonna stand for a 50 hour game just to be able to tilt down enough to do some of the things this game wants, and if I actually lay it flat it's almost impossible to get it to register a down motion.

I never... thought of that. HM.

DonMigs85

About to enter the final dungeon but Kukiel's dad is nowhere to be found in town during the day (I checked the Lumpy Pumpkin too). Anybody know where he might be?

Hiltz

So I just finished that quest given by the npc most refer to as being a bitch. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it was time-consuming. At least it was a bit easier thanks to bringing the right potions. Also, it's probably the only time in the game when dowsing is really helpful.

Unfortunately, I had to do it 3 times. The first time I just had to collect one more item but couldn't find it. I had to drop my dad off at work so I just quit. I came back to do it a second time and was nearly halfway done when my brother came over and we had to go to the hardware store and replace and tighten the circular tube in back of the dryer that attaches to the wall. It took longer than expected so I just quit the game again. Third time's the charm as the saying goes. :/

ASIS

So I just finished that quest given by the npc most refer to as being a bitch. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it was time-consuming. At least it was a bit easier thanks to bringing the right potions. Also, it's probably the only time in the game when dowsing is really helpful.

Unfortunately, I had to do it 3 times. The first time I just had to collect one more item but couldn't find it. I had to drop my dad off at work so I just quit. I came back to do it a second time and was nearly halfway done when my brother came over and we had to go to the hardware store and replace and tighten the circular tube in back of the dryer that attaches to the wall. It took longer than expected so I just quit the game again. Third time's the charm as the saying goes. :/

.... You can save..

Hiltz

.... You can save..

I couldn't find a bird statue unless you're referring to the one inside the
Great Tree
. I didn't have time to do it during my first playthrough since I had to leave right away. However, I could have done it the second time. Next time I'll know.

Poyunch

end-game spoilers

Can I/should I save after the Island of the Goddess fell from the sky? Everything will be okay (other than the island being gone and a huge chunk of mass in Faron, right?

totowhoa

Banned
If you're constantly recalibrating you're doing something wrong. I recalibrate like once every 15 hours.

Also, imo, the game gets soooo much better after the 1st temple. Not that I've played that far beyond it.

Huh??

Anyway, I'm assuming he means when you put the game in. The first thing that pops up is CALIBRATING, every time I'm like "oh god dammit" and start trying to clear shit off my table. It's the first M+ game I've played so maybe I'm just not used to doing it every time and it catches me off guard when the game starts.

never had to re-calibrate in game, does that even happen?

Branduil

I don't know about that. You can beat the last guy in SS literally standing still.

In OoT, you've got to return Ganon's fireballs, and then get over to him and attack. The second form requires you to combine the light arrows and melee weapons to deal damage.

Demise requires you only to block and attack.

If Ganondorf's first form counts then you have to count
Ghirahim and his hordes too.

To beat Demise:
-You have to parry his attacks.
-You have to attack from the proper direction using motion controls.
-And unless you want it to take a while you have to raise your sword until lightning strikes it while dodging his attacks.

OTOH, Ganon in OoT cannot hit you at all if you just walk up to him. Beating him only requires rolling underneath him and flailing.

Huh??

Anyway, I'm assuming he means when you put the game in. The first thing that pops up is CALIBRATING, every time I'm like "oh god dammit" and start trying to clear shit off my table. It's the first M+ game I've played so maybe I'm just not used to doing it every time and it catches me off guard when the game starts.

never had to re-calibrate in game, does that even happen?

I've only had to recalibrate once in the game (not counting the sensor bar recalibration with the down button to correct aiming, which is designed to work like that so you don't have to be pointing it at the screen). I was swimming and notice that holding the remote straight was making me veer right, and recalibration fixed that. I'm pretty impressed with how little control issues I had in this game. Combat was pretty much flawless for me, and the only issues controls had (and not really as much an issue as a limitation, which disappears as soon as you correct it) is that when you rotate the remote at too extreme an angle, it bugs out. For example, when trying to do really tight turns when flying, if you rotate too much it switches to flying straight, or that things like the bug net don't work well when you extend the remote behind you.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
If Ganondorf's first form counts then you have to count
Ghirahim and his hordes too.

To beat Demise:
-You have to parry his attacks.
-You have to attack from the proper direction using motion controls.
-And unless you want it to take a while you have to raise your sword until lightning strikes it while dodging his attacks.

OTOH, Ganon in OoT cannot hit you at all if you just walk up to him. Beating him only requires rolling underneath him and flailing.

Why would you group them together?
OoT ganondorf is a multiform fight that you can't stop midway in, just like in TP and WW. They're all the final boss because it has no break in between. After Ghirahim you can just skip around for 10 hours collecting bugs.

So Demise is just a guy that walks forward and swipes his sword. That's his only attack, and it's easily parried. Then his second form, he lights his sword with lightning...and then walks forward to swipe his sword. He had a pitiful amount of attacks for being what he is.

He hits hard, but the window to parry is so huge that it is pretty hard to mess up. I guess just based off damage he'd be the "hardest", but aside from the lighting catch with your sword which is missable in the fight, the actual encounter is extremely simple.

I must say the controls in this game is frustrating. The cursor is always off center and I always need some way to recalibrate the thing. ALso i find things not to be responsive enough in general.

I don't play the wii. However I am a zelda fan and willing to go through this just to play it, I will say this though. Ironically i don't find myself bored like i did with TP. I don't know if because I am fighting so much with the controls to notice, but I feel as tho i did very little and should be bored. However I am not and for that alone this game is better than TP.

Doorman

I must say the controls in this game is frustrating. The cursor is always off center and I always need some way to recalibrate the thing. ALso i find things not to be responsive enough in general.

I don't play the wii. However I am a zelda fan and willing to go through this just to play it, I will say this though. Ironically i don't find myself bored like i did with TP. I don't know if because I am fighting so much with the controls to notice, but I feel as tho i did very little and should be bored. However I am not and for that alone this game is better than TP.

There's literally a button that moves the cursor to the center of the screen, so I'm not sure how this can be too much of a problem.

kunonabi

Ok I keep seeing this calibration complaint popping up in regards to the cursor. Are you people pointing at the screen before you press B like the game tells you? I've been playing that way and I have never once had the cursor misaligned. The only times it happened is when I have the wiimote pointed away from the screen when I press B. I just don't comprehend how people are having this problem so frequently.

There's literally a button that moves the cursor to the center of the screen, so I'm not sure how this can be too much of a problem.

that is when aiming with an your sling shot and stuff. When I am trying to douse or just look a certain way (at least i don't remember to being able to) it is always off center. I can't point at anything. There are times i have the wii mote parallel to the sensor bar just to have the cursor in the center it is quite ridiculous.

Controls are the only thing hurting this game. I think Nintendo knew that though. Only reason for there to be so many save points, and allow enemies that you already defeated not to re-spawn again.

that is when aiming with an your sling shot and stuff. When I am trying to douse or just look a certain way (at least i don't remember to being able to) it is always off center. I can't point at anything. There are times i have the wii mote parallel to the sensor bar just to have the cursor in the center it is quite ridiculous.
The trick is, when you notice it a little off, open the map, center the controls, close the map.

kunonabi

Controls are the only thing hurting this game. I think Nintendo knew that though. Only reason for there to be so many save points, and allow enemies that you already defeated not to re-spawn again.

you can press down when dowsing to recenter too.

guek

Banned

Controls are fine. Like, really. They're fine. If you think they're not, you're either doing something wrong or it's the hardware (very unlikely).

As far as the off center thing goes, just point at the screen before you go into first person. Wherever your wiimote is pointing when you go into first person will be the center if the screen.

The problem guys is that i have to do it constantly. I don't know why, but after a while things just go off and i always have to fix the controls.

It is my only gripe with the game, but it affects everything I do. I worry more about the controls then the actual enemies in the game. Things are just not responsive enough for me.

Luckily I like this world of mystery. I also like the involvement of the hub world too. Honestly I am just glad that I ma having fun with a zelda game again. TP was just bad imo.

guek

Banned
That's weird. I wonder if there's infrared interference from another source that the wiimote is picking up and decalibrating. I play in the dark or with very little light in the room so I wouldn't know if that'd have an effect.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
end-game spoilers

Can I/should I save after the Island of the Goddess fell from the sky? Everything will be okay (other than the island being gone and a huge chunk of mass in Faron, right?
Yes, you can save at any point during the main game without consequence, except following the final credits.
OoT ganondorf is a multiform fight that you can't stop midway in, just like in TP and WW. They're all the final boss because it has no break in between. After Ghirahim you can just skip around for 10 hours collecting bugs.

So Demise is just a guy that walks forward and swipes his sword. That's his only attack, and it's easily parried. Then his second form, he lights his sword with lightning...and then walks forward to swipe his sword. He had a pitiful amount of attacks for being what he is.

He hits hard, but the window to parry is so huge that it is pretty hard to mess up. I guess just based off damage he'd be the "hardest", but aside from the lighting catch with your sword which is missable in the fight, the actual encounter is extremely simple.
However, there is very little fear of failure in most Zelda final boss fights. This one, at least, punishes you heavily for making mistakes. I would surmise that more people will have trouble in SS with
Demise
than in the previous 3D Zelda games. Too many final boss fights required nothing more than patience; wait for an opening in the pattern and attack.

jackdoe

That's weird. I wonder if there's infrared interference from another source that the wiimote is picking up and decalibrating. I play in the dark or with very little light in the room so I wouldn't know if that'd have an effect.
Probably, though that's bad for your eyesight! I play with the light on and aiming gets fucked up very often.

Poyunch

I beat the game a few hours ago. I have to say while I had a fun time I don't think it's a masterpiece. The game just felt really tame.

Story-wise it was pretty boring. Nothing happens. "But how can you say that?" Well let's look at Ghirahim. What does he do in this game? Nothing. He just pops out after every dungeon apparently being busy. Ganondorf and Zant were way more antagonistic and involved in their games (when I refer to Ganondorf I don't mean Twilight Princess). Ghirahim was just some sort of pest.

Without a real villain there isn't that much tension to your actions. The game is all about chasing Zelda. It mad me feel like I was just going through the motions. I wasn't doing stuff because I was being told to.

I think the problem really has to do with how the story is designed around the game's quests which rely too heavily on fetch quests. You can't deny it. There's a whole mechanic for the purpose of searching for things. This Link feels like an errand boy.

But... when the story actually delved into the lore instead of just advancing the game it was actually pretty interesting. The revelation of why Link and Zelda are constantly reincarnated was fun. Demise's reveal sort of makes Ganondorf less of a villain since he's just a part of Demise's destiny as opposed to his own. And okay Groose was great. He became such a likeable character.

Anyway back to the game. I'd say Twilight Princess is the better game for me. And don't bring up any nonsense about the "Zelda cycle". My two favorite things about Zelda are dungeons and exploration. I was harsh on Twilight Princess among other things because the game was really lacking in the mini-dungeons, especially coming from Wind Waker. But Skyward Sword is even worse in this. There is almost no reason to explore outside of a few out of the way cubes or meaningless treasure chests. Skyloft is empty and Goddess Cubes explicitly tell you which chests they unlock. On the ground, you don't need to explore because anything meaningful will be opened up to by the story.

Why I think Twilight Princess is better is because at least it had some side-dungeon-like levels and the dungeons were complex. 1 out of 2 for Twilight Princes. Skyward Sword's dungeons feel really simplistic. Almost every room feels self-contained and flat. Rooms in Twilight Princess were multi-levelled in a meaningful way. Skyward Sword, not so much and if it was it was only for a single room puzzle. Because of this you could clearly see that the game was designed by the portable teams. The portable games are very flat. What you do on one floor had little effect on the others. It's not bad for portable games but for a console game I expect more. Really I think my favorite dungeon of the game had to be Lanayru Mining Facility.

Controls for the most part were great though. I'm a full believer of motion control gaming now as an alternative input. I realized this during Fledge's pumpkin shooting mini-game. It just felt natural. With analog controls I feel like I'm dragging the reticule but with motion controls I just move and the reticle reacts instantaneously. Outside of the jabbing and unintentional spin attacks I felt the combat controls were perfect. I don't care if combat flow became slower because it at least felt more involved.

Other flaws like the treasure reminders and how meaningless the material system have probably already been talked to death so I won't divulge into it.

Fi was meaningless. I'd say rewriting her out of the game wouldn't change it too much. She just doesn't have any affect on the game. She's like the opposite of Midna. Midna and Link bonded and the whole story was based around her and overshadowing Link and friends. While in Skyward Sword it's all about Zelda and Link.

I think Wind Waker's art style is still better than Skyward Sword. Both were definitely used to hide the technical limitations of the hardware they were on but it felt more necessary for Skyward Sword than for Wind Waker. I think it's because Wind Waker embraced its art style (with wacky animations and lots of exaggeration) while Skyward Sword was more toned down. It does feel a bit like a reskinned (but also slicker) Twilight Princess.

Music was less memorable and more ambient. Even though a lot of people gush over that type of music in games and films I prefer more catchy melodies even if they're less complex.

I still had a lot of fun with the game. I don't think it's groundbreaking for the series. It lays a good foundation though and I'd be happy if this formula replaced the old one if they cut off a bit of the fat and made the game more complex.

Oh and Ghirahim = Greed

edit: Damn first post of the page. I don't want this much attention. >.>

Thoraxes

I started on Dolphin finally for my "second-playthrough" and the cursor feels way off on that compared to how smooth and completely problem-free the experience was for me on an actual Wii.

So basically i'm switching back to the Wii. Sure it looks more pretty, but it doesn't play half as good as it does on the actual Wii.

Branduil

You can save after the first part of the OoT Ganondorf fight, if I remember correctly. And considering how different the fights are, and that there's an escape-from-the-castle sequence inbetween, it makes no sense to count them as the same fight.

kunonabi

I'm playing through H-mode and I just realized you can fire a beam with a forward thrust. I'm not sure why I didn't try it the first time.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
I beat the game a few hours ago. I have to say while I had a fun time I don't think it's a masterpiece. The game just felt really tame.

*text*

I can agree with most of your points except the complaints about dungeons. I thought they were complex enough to make them interesting rather than super complex to be frustrating (i.e. water temple in OoT). Also, several dungeons used multi-room puzzles and vertical movement in their formula. I think you need to go back through all the dungeons in your head and think about them a bit more.

Other than that, yes, it's not groundbreaking, but I think it offers the best *story mode* pacing ever in a Zelda title. It is too bad about the lack of
mini-dungeons

maharg

idspispopd

This game doesn't use the infrared sensor bar stuff at all. I think the only time it even looks at that is the screen centre calibration when you start the game up or replace the batteries. Otherwise, it's all motion based .

john tv

Really simple question about number of hearts:
Do you have to find both Life Medals in order to get the full 20 hearts? It seems like heart pieces will only get me as far as 18...?

Poyunch

Cool that means I'm only missing two hearts. And I know where most of the pieces are.

So Skyward Sword's late-game revelations really sheds a new light on Wind Waker.
Tetra was unknowingly the reincarnation of Princess Zelda who's unknowingly the reincarnation of the goddess Hylia.

http://inception.davepedu.com/

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Finally beat this just now. I think I might need a few days to sit on it and see how I really feel about it, but overall? I'm feeling really positive about this game. I'm quite sure that it's partially because: a) I stayed on a media blackout as much as possible, and b) I lowered my expectations dramatically and focused on the stuff I really liked from what little previews I've seen.

There are a few things I didn't like, but there were a lot of things I truly enjoyed and would like to see in future installments. It was an incredible 50+ hour journey (I... I took my time and did sidequests and stuff... plus left the game idling, lol), and it's one I'd like to experience again and again. I don't want to say anything until I've thought about it adequately, but it's probably one of my favourite 3D Zelda next to Majora's Mask. Plus I... don't really dislike Fi. *shrug*

Also, DAT CREDITS MUSIC. Hell, DAT MUSIC in general. And I loved the visual style more than TWW's. Both games nailed the facial expressions and animations, though. Some of the stuff during endgame was incredible. :O

Top Bottom