• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I never jumped once in the mine cart. Just lean into all the turns and that's all you have to do.

Hmm. The third trip to
Eldin Volcano kinda bugged me. The stealth section was awesome right up until the end, where the game just kinda pussies out and goes "Eh, I'm bored. Here's the rest of your crap back all at once. And then you find Eldin and he just hands you the song with no real explanation of what the hell happened. Those bokoblin that randomly showed up and took over the whole volcano? Nope, nothing. And then they all just inexplicably disappear. .__.

It felt really rushed. A moderate blemish on what was otherwise an awesome segment. Still my GoTY so far, though.

Also, Lanayru Desert.
Lanayru's bones.
jesus christ that's morbid

IrishNinja

yeah, turns out i was making life a lot harder by trying to do the jumps manually. really wish the controls hadn't even mentioned that.

but yeah, thanks everybody, i'm well into the stage following that bit, and it's awesome again.

Maxrunner

Im just started this yesterday, just got to the first dungeon it seems, so far its been great and lot more fun than twilight princess...and the art style is great....

ASIS

Regarding the 'hard' last boss...

Easiest final boss in Zelda history (except Majora when you're Oni Link). He has two patterns, both of which make it very hard to actually get hit. I didn't know about the Skyward Strike method, so I just blocked one time, and countered in the first part, and then blocked thrice and then countered with a slice. It took longer than the Skyward Strike way...but it worked no problem.

Really disappointing to me.

No,he's actually the hardest boss in 3D Zelda history

May I just say that I LOVE the character animations? It's such a joy watching cutscenes now because Link actually emotes, rather than having the same dull :> look on his face for every other scene. *leers at Twilight Princess*

One of my greatest joys in Skyward Sword comes from watching Link's hair blow in the wind. /nutjob

Rehynn

I fought him without a shield. Not because I'm hardcore, but because for some reason I figured a shield wouldn't deflect his attacks, so I didn't even bother trying. Got my ass kicked a couple times, but finally beat the fucker last night.

Ganondorf in TP and in WW were much harder [/spoilers]
I didn't die a single time in those games.

In TWW and TP, you can just shield block and not get hurt at all. You can wait for opportunities to strike, and win.

In SS, you are punished by blocking, your shield breaks. Demise is much more aggressive, and takes off 2 hearts per attack. There is no question he is harder.

regarding final bosses

i actually had to use all of my potion++ and a fairy to beat demise, even using the skyward strike method. dude chops off a lot of hearts per strike and almost broke my shield a few times. died a few times as well.

only boss that gave me a harder time was OoT ganon, because i was 10 when i beat him

May I just say that I LOVE the character animations? It's such a joy watching cutscenes now because Link actually emotes, rather than having the same dull :> look on his face for every other scene. *leers at Twilight Princess*

One of my greatest joys in Skyward Sword comes from watching Link's hair blow in the wind. /nutjob

its awesome. have you seen links standing and sitting idle animations? those are great. also cool when you run past an enemy, link looks back at them. so many neat little touches

MarkusRJR

I decided I'd start a new game (I had finished the second dungeon and then randomly stopped to play Chrono Trigger instead) and I just got up to to the fetch quest before the second dungeon. I really hate how they make you have to look around to find shit. The door's right in front of me, I should just be able to go and enter the dungeon without this extra padding that just amounts to me wandering around in first person mode for 30 minutes. I hate filler.

Please tell me they cut back on the filler later on in the game?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I decided I'd start a new game (I had finished the second dungeon and then randomly stopped to play Chrono Trigger instead) and I just got up to to the fetch quest before the second dungeon. I really hate how they make you have to look around to find shit. The door's right in front of me, I should just be able to go and enter the dungeon without this extra padding that just amounts to me wandering around in first person mode for 30 minutes. I hate filler.

Depending on your definition of filler I wouldn't say they cut down on it, but it gets a lot better in quality and entertainment.

Nope.avi

Just got yesterday the third swordn after the dungeon.
i loved when Fi enters the sword and a triumphant music starts, and you can hear that it tries to build to the Zelda main theme and it cant... Then the first piece of triforce appears in Links hand
That was a holy fuck, thats amazing moment.

Sadist

Finished it yesterday

I'll spoiler my findings.

I'm going to give it some time, but Skyward Sword could become my favourite modern Zelda behind OoT. There are things that bothered me though, so let's start there. First ip, Fi. After Midna in TP she's certainly a step back. I kind of like the whole point of some computerized compagnion, but I'm kinda baffled EAD 3 didn't make her more human while the story progressed. It wasn't until the end of the game that Fi seemed more human. Midna on the other hand slowly transformed from a impish/sarcastic character towards a friend and partner during TP. Bit of a letdown.

Moving on to the music: there were pieces I like: the Skyloft theme is very nice and there were several others, but as a whole: the music kind of dissapoints. The harp isn't as memorable as the Ocarina or even the Windwaker. Especially when Fi starts to sing... ugh.

Other parts I didn't like: collecting Tadtones wasn't hard, but it was padding to the max. The same could be said about finding back your weapons or bringing back a timeshift stone to the Thunder dragon, but there was some excitement in those parts. And oh yeah, fighting the Imprisoned THREE times? Come on, that wasn't fun for a third time. Reminds me of fighting Orochi four times in Okami. Which I didn't like btw. Overstayed it's welcome imo.

But that about wraps my problems with the game, because I seriously loved it. The design of the game rests heavily on "Yow dawg I heard you like exploring dungeons, so we put a dungeon in your dungeon so you can explore while you explore" principle, but I thought it worked really well. And when you finally reach the dungeons, oh man. They don't seem that big, but are more a bit more complex and compact compared to other console Zelda games. It reminded me of the Spirit Tracks dungeons, but done right. The dungeons... oh man. The fourth and the fifth one are amazing. I was actually stuck in a Zelda game. That didn't happen to me since... OoT and Link's Awakening. Neat puzzles. Bosses were quite fun as well. My favourite has to be the buddha bot. And the quadruple wielding Stalfos. Like the robo pirate as well.

Plus, the villains are awesome. Girahim is a bit... flakey, but it fits really well. His mannerisms in the several battles with Link are awesome. Better when compared to Zant imo. I didn't guess until the final battle he was actually the Fi of the Demon Lord, Demise. And man, what an awesome battle that was! It's refreshing to see a different face and man what a mean face it was. The final confrontation is sweet. Especially with the part when you have to charge the Skyward Strike.

So many things to like about the game. The many characters, (Groose is cool) upgrade system, (seriously, Beetle with more speed and stamina is awesome), new items, flying and oh! The controls! They're amazing. It's a bit late, but after five years we've seen the true potentional of motion controls. Shame the industry has given up on creating these kind of experiences.

Red

In TWW and TP, you can just shield block and not get hurt at all. You can wait for opportunities to strike, and win.

In SS, you are punished by blocking, your shield breaks. Demise is much more aggressive, and takes off 2 hearts per attack. There is no question he is harder.
I beat him using the wooden shield. Like any other opponent in the game, there are no consequences for a perfect parry. I think maybe twice I actually suffered shield damage, over the course of the entire game. You're given such a huge margin for error.

In saying that, I realize some people have trouble with the motion control. I'm just making a point that he is the simplest boss in terms of complexity that the series has ever seen.

HeySeuss

I beat him using the wooden shield. Like any other opponent in the game, there are no consequences for a perfect parry. I think maybe twice I actually suffered shield damage, over the course of the entire game. You're given such a huge margin for error.

In saying that, I realize some people have trouble with the motion control. I'm just making a point that he is the simplest boss in terms of complexity that the series has ever seen.
Totally agree. After fighting
Ghiriham
, I figured
demise
would be an epic battle. I stocked up on red potion++ and came ready to get my ass handed to me. And what happens? Beat him only drinking twice. Dude was a complete letdown and was very easy.
Only 2 phases? Are you fucking kidding me? He only dodged my fatal blow once! I expected a transformation after that but no, just a bloodline curse and then poof.
OoT was much harder.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Okay, so I was just given a
love letter by one of Grouse's toadies. Apparently, I have two choices. I can either give it to Karane, or I can give to that creep in the toilet. I gave it Karane and got 5 gratitude crystals for it. But when I gave it to the thing in the toilet, it wouldn't tell me what it needed the paper for and disappeared. Is there any reward to giving the paper to the disembodied hand in the toilet?

MisterHero

love letter by one of Grouse's toadies. Apparently, I have two choices. I can either give it to Karane, or I can give to that creep in the toilet. I gave it Karane and got 5 gratitude crystals for it. But when I gave it to the thing in the toilet, it wouldn't tell me what it needed the paper for and disappeared. Is there any reward to giving the paper to the disembodied hand in the toilet?
Start over.

j/k, but you can only get one of the sideplots once per game

Branduil

No.
OoT Ganon is much simpler, it's not even debatable.

Levyne

Banned

You get the same reward either way, just depends who you want to make happy

Kard8p3

The only other last boss in the 3D games to ever touch me was Majora when I don't have the fierce deity mask. I never once died on the last boss of Ocarina, and I've never been touched by the last boss of WW or TP. I actually died on the last boss of this game and I'd say many will probably have a hard time with him till they find out what to do with him.

KrawlMan

If you visit Cawlin's room at night (previously Groose's room) after you give the letter to the hand, the hand will be seen haunting/caressing Cawlin in his sleep. If you approach the hand it will give you 5 gratitude crystals for helping it find true love.

Basically you get 5 gratitude crystals regardless of the choice you make in that quest.

abasm

Admittedly, regarding the end of the game,
the final boss-rush was pretty satisfying! The whole build-up from the Bokoblin horde to the "true" Ghirahim to the Demise fight was an awesome crescendo. I actually entered the Demise fight slightly unprepared--no potions or fairies. I goofed on parry timing in the second phase and he plowed through my Lv. 3 sacred shield in what seemed like a single hit. (I didn't know you could "steal" his Skyward Strike) Rattled by the loss of a shield, I lost the fight. So, on my second try, I armed myself more carefully--I took maxed-out shield and red potions, and in a moment of pleasant surprise, stumbled across the Hylian Shield in Lanayru's challenge (funny that an ordinary shield for the series, unchanged, would become so valuable). With the experience from the first fight and the resources now at my disposal, I made short work of Demise without losing a single heart, but the very fact that I felt the need to prepare for the fight was something I'd never experienced before.

I think this game is tied with Majora's Mask as my favorite Zelda game now. The only mark against the game that I can think of is Fi. She's just...boring and obvious. And it's odd that
Ghirahim, her "dark" equivalent, should be so well-characterized and interesting
while she effectively remains as engaging as an Excel spreadsheet. They should have at least given an option to turn her explanatory dialogue off in Hero mode, anyway. I know the game backwards and forwards now! If I need to be re-taught how to do so-and-so, I'll ask, thanks.

Oh, and the game seems to have a little trouble detecting stabs. It's like it has to double-check your movements: "Did the remote just swing in a direction? No? Well, the accelerometer activated. Did the nunchuk move, too? No? Okay, I guess it's a stab, then."

But that's not even that big of a deal. It's just easier to identify my few complaints than my many, many praises. It's like they plucked all of my favorite features from other Zelda games: The fast and limited item selection (DS Zelda games) promotes more diverse puzzles--you usually use 80% of your items in any given dungeon. The "hub" that is Skyloft echoes MM, and while not quite so dense, it's nice to have all your resources in the same place you call "home". The density of the surface-world (
...Grooseland?
) reminds me of Link's Awakening in how tight and puzzle-oriented it is.

...and that doesn't even account for all of the new stuff this game has. The motion control allows each fight to be its own mini-puzzle. Whereas previous 3D Zeldas stressed evasion and timing in combat, this game gives enemies much tighter defenses with multiple points of weakness. Take the Bokoblin, for example. You can:

- Sneak up on it and knock it down with a spin attack to finish it off.
- Feint an attack in one direction to hit it from the other side.
- Parry its attacks with the shield and exploit the opening.
- ...or just attack it when it rears back. This is a bit riskier.
- Drop a beehive on it.

Furthermore, the damage and rupee economies have vastly improved. Most enemies do a heart of damage per hit--a fair price to pay for sloppy defense. Over-rely on your shield, and you'll lose it. (The sacred shield being the most versatile and most risky of the shields to wield). Hearts, rupees, and supplies aren't found easily in the wild, increasing the worth of each. Play poorly, and you'll be spending more of life-restoring resources. Play well, and you can save those precious rupees for items that will help you more in the long-term.

I could go on, but I think I'd rather write a proper review first. To summarize my feelings, this game made me fall in love with the Zelda series again, and I can't wait to see what they do next.

Anth0ny

RE final boss:

I died a couple of times against him because I didn't know what to do. I wasn't using a shield up until that point. It's a tough battle, until you learn the pattern. Then it's super easy... like you won't even take a single hit.

I don't remember WW Ganon giving me any trouble. TP Ganon definitely didn't. I'd probably say he's the toughest 3D Zelda final boss... but that isn't saying much. The 2D Zelda final bosses are fucktons harder.

Finished the game a couple days ago. After letting it sink in I've come to the opinion this is an amazing game marred by tedium. I literally said "Are you fucking kidding me?!?!" out loud a few times in the latter portion of the game when I realized what I had to do. One notable area in the game has no significance to the story. You complete it and are told what you're looking for isn't here so you move on - no reward or meaningful impact. Granted, it's a lot of fun and I would've excused it had I not been bored to tears with other chore-like quests in this game. Many of the design decisions don't help either: stopping to tell me every detail about an item I've picked up 30 times before, or having to hold "A" constantly for every conversation just wore on me. It sucks because the story is awesome - I loved the scenes with Link and Zelda, I loved the connections to OoT and the final confrontation was sublime. The combat was great after I got used to it and the music is fantastic. Sadly, my overall experience is only slightly positive because I wish roughly 10 hours worth of content wasn't in the game at all.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Finished the game a couple days ago. After letting it sink in I've come to the opinion this is an amazing game marred by tedium. I literally said "Are you fucking kidding me?!?!" out loud a few times in the latter portion of the game when I realized what I had to do. One notable area in the game has no significance to the story. You complete it and are told what you're looking for isn't here so you move on - no reward or meaningful impact. Granted, it's a lot of fun and I would've excused it had I not been bored to tears with other chore-like quests in this game. Many of the design decisions don't help either: stopping to tell me every detail about an item I've picked up 30 times before, or having to hold "A" constantly for every conversation just wore on me. It sucks because the story is awesome - I loved the scenes with Link and Zelda, I loved the connections to OoT and the final confrontation was sublime. The combat was great after I got used to it and the music is fantastic. Sadly, my overall experience is only slightly positive because I wish roughly 10 hours worth of content wasn't in the game at all.
Oh yeah, that section pissed me off. Felt like a waste of a good concept too, with how short it was.

The only other last boss in the 3D games to ever touch me was Majora when I don't have the fierce deity mask. I never once died on the last boss of Ocarina, and I've never been touched by the last boss of WW or TP. I actually died on the last boss of this game and I'd say many will probably have a hard time with him till they find out what to do with him.

i still have problems with ganon in link to the past always knocking me into the pit. it's great fighting him for the first time because you're expecting some sort of lead-up beforehand, but nope, you drop in and then it's on.

Admittedly, regarding the end of the game,
the final boss-rush was pretty satisfying! The whole build-up from the Bokoblin horde

yeah.
knowing that zelda was in pain as her soul was being wrenched out made the whole scene that much more dramatic. it made me want to sprint down there as quickly as possible.

I think this game is tied with Majora's Mask as my favorite Zelda game now.

it's in the upper echelon with OoT and ALttP for me. it's a strong #3, and i hope future zelda games continue this kind of strong, organic main quest progression. it's like they took the snowpeak/mansion sequence from TP and made a whole game out of it.

The only mark against the game that I can think of is Fi. She's just...boring and obvious. And it's odd that
Ghirahim, her "dark" equivalent, should be so well-characterized and interesting
while she effectively remains as engaging as an Excel spreadsheet. They should have at least given an option to turn her explanatory dialogue off in Hero mode, anyway. I know the game backwards and forwards now! If I need to be re-taught how to do so-and-so, I'll ask, thanks.

fi is quite fascinating to me. she's very mysterious, and i'm still curious as to what kind of being she truly is. her frankness and lack of emotion is funny to me, moreso than midna's witless sarcasm. i conjecture that there's an 80% probability that her singing is really weird.

her constant prodding and handholding is a major problem though. probably the biggest problem with the game other than continuing the trend from TWW/TP of linear, simplistic dungeons.

...and that doesn't even account for all of the new stuff this game has. The motion control allows each fight to be its own mini-puzzle. Whereas previous 3D Zeldas stressed evasion and timing in combat, this game gives enemies much tighter defenses with multiple points of weakness.

well, zelda's enemies have always been mini-puzzles, it's just the braindead combat in TWW and TP has made us forget.

yeah, every enemy in SS is golden, fun, and unique from each other. even a simple keese is fun because they get hurled from the direction of your slash. it's probably why complaints of lack of enemy variety has come in, when this one has the same general amount of enemies as any other zelda.

oFurthermore, the damage and rupee economies have vastly improved. Most enemies do a heart of damage per hit--a fair price to pay for sloppy defense. Over-rely on your shield, and you'll lose it. (The sacred shield being the most versatile and most risky of the shields to wield). Hearts, rupees, and supplies aren't found easily in the wild, increasing the worth of each. Play poorly, and you'll be spending more of life-restoring resources. Play well, and you can save those precious rupees for items that will help you more in the long-term.

this really can't be said enough after the disaster of TP's system.

Poyunch

So what are the points of those random holes scattered across the game that don't do anything?
I know they have something to do with the Tree of Life but as far as I can tell the only useful one is in the Sealed Temple. Are the other holes just red herrings?

So what are the points of those random holes scattered across the game that don't do anything?
I know they have something to do with the Tree of Life but as far as I can tell the only useful one is in the Sealed Temple. Are the other holes just red herrings?

Yep. Red herrings. I thought you could use
the Mogma Mitts with them :(

What other holes? I don't remember seeing any holes outside of the
ones you can use the Mogma Mitts on and the one you plant the Tree of Life in.

Red

No.
OoT Ganon is much simpler, it's not even debatable.
I don't know about that. You can beat the last guy in SS literally standing still.

In OoT, you've got to return Ganon's fireballs, and then get over to him and attack. The second form requires you to combine the light arrows and melee weapons to deal damage.

Demise requires you only to block and attack.

Juice

Just came in to speak my peace. I've been a long-time Nintendo fan but after the first year or so after the Wii's launch have failed to get excited about most Nintendo games (barring SMG/2). I decided to give Skyward Sword a chance (I found TP dull and didn't finish it), and in spite of the accolades I'm really not finding much reason to bother with Skyward Sword.

I'm in the middle of the first temple and just can't help but feel like I've played this game a dozen times before. The story isn't enough to keep me plodding along. And the motion controls are a little frustrating because I have a shoulder injury.

Sigh. I really wanted to like it, but I'm afraid I'm not going to pick it up again. :-(

ksamedi

Just came in to speak my peace. I've been a long-time Nintendo fan but after the first year or so after the Wii's launch have failed to get excited about most Nintendo games (barring SMG/2). I decided to give Skyward Sword a chance (I found TP dull and didn't finish it), and in spite of the accolades I'm really not finding much reason to bother with Skyward Sword.

I'm in the middle of the first temple and just can't help but feel like I've played this game a dozen times before. The story isn't enough to keep me plodding along. And the motion controls are a little frustrating because I have a shoulder injury.

Sigh. I really wanted to like it, but I'm afraid I'm not going to pick it up again. :-(

Sad to hear. It does get better after the first temple though.

so ive gathered my thoughts on this game and let the end game rush die down. despite that, i can comfortably sayskyward sword is the best zelda game made so far. not only is it my GOTY, but one of the best games ive ever played, period.

ill start off by discussing the things i didnt like. this is not a perfect game, but the closest to perfection so far. SS had a few questionable things that hampered the experience a bit. not enough to outright ruin it, but noticeable enough to go "really?".

first and foremost, it sucks that the item descriptions problem returned from TP. i dont understand why nintendo keeps putting this in as its absolutely unnecessary.

second, fi is a mixed bag. i thought the controller and heart notifications were unnecessary after the first one. i also think she didnt give hints when i needed her to, so it was pointless. however, i thought her character was funny in a ridiculous way and was
sad to see her go
. shes no midna but honestly no other sidekick is

i also thought the pacing kinda fell off after the 3rd dungeon. there was a great story vs gameplay balance in the beginning but after the 3rd dungeon, the game just wanted you to finish the next 3 as soon as possible before the awesome post 6th-endgame segments. i think it could have benefited from having more story segments and sidequests in between the dungeons.

my last complaint is
area/enemy variety. the last 3 dungeons, while fantastic, had recycled settings. zelda games generally condition you to expect each area to be different from the last, but we got two sand and fire related dungeons with the same kind of enemies. i also thought there would be more areas since i expected the map to completely fill up, but it didnt. this is probably my own high expecations letting me down.

despite all of this, the good stuff in this game is just...fucking good. i can write 10,000 words on why i loved this game and whats so good about it but ill try to keep it short

the controls are flawless. im sure that 99% of people that control problems 1) didnt bother devoting 10 minutes to learn them 2) had issues with the sensor bar or whatever 3) just hates motion controls. everything worked so well and was tight and responsive.

combat was so much fun, holy shit. i enjoyed fighting even the weakest of foes. it was highly responsive and there were some outstanding battles. i will be very sad if a refinement of this combat system doesnt return on the next game. i absolutely loved how you had to fight strategically or youd end up losing. you cant rely on your shield all the time and you cant waggle your way to victory. it was a great change of pace and i loved it.

flying controls worked well as well. only thing that gave me problem was the divebombing, but i soon realized i wasn't tilting the controller far down enough. flying was very fun and therapeutic in a way.

people complained a lot about backtracking or padding but honestly, the only time i felt like that was during that famous segment near the end. otherwise, every retread to an old area felt fresh and most importantly, FUN. i wanted to hate the spirit world tears thing but they were very challenging and had me at the edge of my seat. this is how you do backtracking.

the music was exceptional. easily my favorite zelda soundtrack after OoT. the ballad of the goddess, fi's theme and the romance theme are some of the best zelda music period. its more cinematic and "tuney" than previous zelda games, which is why i think people had a problem with this but i believe the soundtrack is definitely memorable and fitting. loved it.

graphics were incredible. it pains me to see the amazing high res dolphin screens and knowing this is how the game is supposed to be played. even on my SDTV, the game looked gorgeous. i loved the art style. i loved how when you look at something from far away, it looks like large paint strokes and as you get closer, it slowly forms into a house or whatever it is. i loved how lush and vibrant the worlds looked, a nice contrast from a bland looking TP. the animation is also out of this world and the cutscenes were a joy to watch because of them.

speaking of cutscenes, i absolutely loved the story on this game. i dont care if the next one has text or voice acting, as long as the writing is just as quality as it was for this game. zelda was a great character for once and the relationship between her and link was very sweet. groose also became a sudden favorite considering how much i hated this dude in the beginning.

there were definitely some questionable design decisions, but being this was a game, i absolutely enjoyed the hell out of playing it. i havent played a game with such glee since SMG2. its just an amazing experience to play. theres so much im probably leaving out too. this game just makes me so happy.

it really makes me sad that this game is over and ill have to wait years for the next one. im doing sidequests now as slow as possible to lengthen my play time as much as i can.

TL;DR: best zelda game ever, despite a few problems.

what i would like for the next game: better story/gameplay pacing, no more item text after the first one, more sidequests

ranking: SS > OoT > LA > TP > WW > the rest

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Oh my God at this game. I don't think I'd ever spent more than 6 hours in a row with any title that wasn't an MMORPG or Pokémon before today.

Thrakier

Posting it here as well:

So, if your TV or Monitor has a 6500k setup (warm colors) I STRONLY suggest you use it for Skyward Sword. Just tested it on the second world and looks so much better and really helps the colors to pop. I don't know if they designed it with 6500k in mind but it's really like...a 50% gfx boost for me. Because then the gfx suddenly *click*, before that it was just too washed out...

Top Bottom