• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Awww yeah sleepin' in Zelda's bed tonight.

Qd3ZW.gif

krYlon

I have no idea what's up with the 5th dungeon one, people are saying she didn't pop out for them, but others are saying she did. For me she did, and I'm obviously going to hold my experience against her.

Am really intrigued by this now. I wonder why this is happening?

Could it be that there are different versions of the game? Could it be dependent on region?

I doubt it would be to do with a timer on puzzles.

IceCold

I just finished the 1st temple, I'm in
Eldin Volcano
now. The game is a lot harder than Waker and Twilight Princess imo, I think it's because of the controls and how the item menu is set up. Getting your potion while you are in a boss battle is a pain in the ass. Also The first boss,
Ghirahim
, annoyed the shit out of me. I felt like throwing my wiimote at my tv screen during many occasions. Thank God for
Fi and her hints

MechaX

Could it be that there are different versions of the game? Could it be dependent on region?

I'm pretty curious myself. She definitely spoiled that Pre-Dungeon 3 puzzle for me immediately, but never chimed in for the Dungeon 5 puzzle.

Sanic

After thinking about it for a few days, i'm thinking this is probably my GOTY, and probably one of the best games i've played in a long time. Even when thinking of all of the major things I didn't care for (
area re-use, backtracking, controls that didn't always work well for me
), I can't help but look back on the experience as overwhelmingly positive and memorable.

Hiltz

I finished the 6th dungeon and on my way to the next
Silent Realm boss
area.

At this point, Xenoblade is still my game of the year. Skyward Sword has a lot to live up to, particularly in terms of music and story.

Gravijah

is there another way to calibrate the motion plus? my sword/net/etc always end up wonky, and the aiming calibration doesn't work.

edit: seems swinging up and down does that. i'll have to try it.

MisterHero

is there another way to calibrate the motion plus? my sword/net/etc always end up wonky, and the aiming calibration doesn't work.
Open the Inventory Menu and clicking the icon next to the Interface Selector lets you do the calibration thing where you set your Wii remote on a flat surface. You can do that, aside from pressing Dpad Down.

oatmeal

Banned
Regarding the 'hard' last boss...

Easiest final boss in Zelda history (except Majora when you're Oni Link). He has two patterns, both of which make it very hard to actually get hit. I didn't know about the Skyward Strike method, so I just blocked one time, and countered in the first part, and then blocked thrice and then countered with a slice. It took longer than the Skyward Strike way...but it worked no problem.

Really disappointing to me.

McNum

Aaand... Done. Game complete, 45 hours.

(All spoilers are endgame/full game spoilers, highlight at you own risk!)

First of all... That endgame!
"Come out my hordres!" Ghirahim shouts. Yeah, right. "Hordes. Zelda games don't do- THAT IS A LOT OF BOKOBLINS AND THEY JUST KEEP COMING!" And honestly, it was the hard part of the endgame. So many enemies, it's so easy get swarmed and suddenly there's 3-4 hearts gone like that. Well, I was packing Heart++ potions, so no problem, just needed one refill. But still. That was fun!

I like that you actually
do get the Triforce in the game, and I have to love Link's fourth "fight" with The Imprisoned. Yeah, when you need to go big, go REALLY big. And then Ghirahim happened, I was wondering if he's do the tennis boss thing at some point, and yep, he did. Great fight once I figured it out.

For the final boss
I am SO glad I brought Guardian+ potions. Sure, his first phase was fairly simple. Parry, riposte, repeat. Easy, really. Then he got mad. And, well, there was no sense in hoarding those potions anymore "just in case" as if the final boss isn't "just in case", then nothing is. And that was good, because I got knocked around by him. Was fun stealing his thunder, though, and I do like the tradition the Zelda games are getting in letting the final boss be a swordfight, usually against a boss that has about the same abilities as you do. Skyward Strikes are nasty when you're on the receiving end...

And finally: Groose... I want to see him in another game. Good to see Nintendo taking the clliche high school bully and doing something awesome with him. I would play a Legend of Groose, honestly.

For meta-story spoilers...
I get that Demise is Ganondorf? Or rather, as much Ganondorf as Zelda is Hylia. So the whole reincarnation thing hinted at is in-game canon now. Link is Link reborn, Ganon is an incarnation of Demise, and Zelda is a descendant of Hylia, the Zelda from this game. When there's one, there'll always be another. Does make me wonder, are other villains than Ganon incarnations of Demise? Majora, Vaati, you know, the B-listers who do their own thing in their own games, but aren't big G
. This is probably better taken to the spoiler topic, though.

Overall, I like this game it has a few lows, but the end pretty much made up for a lot of those. I'll suffer Scrapper for that ending...

Tenbatsu

Regarding the 'hard' last boss...

Easiest final boss in Zelda history (except Majora when you're Oni Link). He has two patterns, both of which make it very hard to actually get hit. I didn't know about the Skyward Strike method, so I just blocked one time, and countered in the first part, and then blocked thrice and then countered with a slice. It took longer than the Skyward Strike way...but it worked no problem.

Really disappointing to me.
Last boss fight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibxFYAEL24Y

You can take a look at his other boss rush videos too.

So I just beat the 3rd or 4th dungeon
Lanaryu Mining Facility. I *think* it's the fourth, but I can't be 100% sure if the first little mini dungeon counts without consulting a guide and potentially spoiling myself. Anyway, I've just been directed to meet up with the old Sheika lady at Faron.

Are the bosses getting easier or am I just getting better? Also, the controls are great, but a little unforgiving and I fail to get a stab to register half the time. The issue is that there's a slight sideways motion that I do that the game registers as a swing and that makes certain tense portions where you need to stab somewhat frustrating. I get it when I'm concentrating, but do it wrong when I'm actually fighting.

I take it that after Lanaryu, there are no more new areas to open up.

Levyne

Banned
So I just beat the 3rd or 4th dungeon
Lanaryu Mining Facility. I *think* it's the fourth, but I can't be 100% sure if the first little mini dungeon counts without consulting a guide and potentially spoiling myself. Anyway, I've just been directed to meet up with the old Sheika lady at Faron.

Are the bosses getting easier or am I just getting better? Also, the controls are great, but a little unforgiving and I fail to get a stab to register half the time. The issue is that there's a slight sideways motion that I do that the game registers as a swing and that makes certain tense portions where you need to stab somewhat frustrating. I get it when I'm concentrating, but do it wrong when I'm actually fighting.

I take it that after Lanaryu, there are no more new areas to open up.

That dungeon probably has the easiest boss. That said, it's not like any of them are multiple retry challenging.

Hiltz

I haven't had any problems with the sword thrust. The one thing that I still need to get used to is the shield bash. It's been difficult for me to get the timing right during the heat of the moment, especially against attacks like the tail swipe of the Lizalfos.

Poyunch

I've only had trouble with the sword during the Bamboo mini game. Too many accidental spin attacks. Oh and (dungeon 6 spoilers)
it seemed impossible for me to hit the right angles in that second Ghirahim boss battle.

So this has been bugging me for a bit. After he fixes the windmill, where is Jakamar (Kukiel's father, the little girl that gets lost earlier in the game) in Skyloft during the daytime? I've looked everywhere, seems like he just disappears.

Just finished the sixth dungeon. About how much more do I have to go? Was wondering if I should try and finish it tonight or wait till tomorrow

Just finished the sixth dungeon. About how much more do I have to go? Was wondering if I should try and finish it tonight or wait till tomorrow

well it took me an hour or two to get to where i am now after beating the 6th dungeon, you got a while before its over lol, go to sleep

is this the game breaking bug? ----->
the yellow note fish stuck under the pad? I can't make that note move :(

I'm not 100% sure but someone said it was triggered
by getting too close to the exit of the room. I guess the designers didn't want someone wandering around the dungeon forever trying to solve it. From my perspective I saw a giant light shinning from above so I figured that was a pretty obvious clue to look up and I solved it fairly quickly. I also did a section of the 5th dungeon out of order from what the game wanted you to do since Fi kept popping out and occasionally saying why don't you go to some other place first even though if I did I'd find out it was blocked off and I'd need to return to the section I was solving puzzles at .

braves01

Banned
well it took me an hour or two to get to where i am now after beating the 6th dungeon, you got a while before its over lol, go to sleep

is this the game breaking bug? ----->
the yellow note fish stuck under the pad? I can't make that note move :(

No, you need to
jump onto that lily pad from the tree above

And go to bed, you got a lot of shit to do still.

Poyunch

Tadtones were fine. I understand why that part would frustrate people but I guess I never really had much trouble with the controls. All I was thinking though was how much more enjoyable it would have been if I had access to the Zora Mask.
haha a sneaking/stealth part 0_o

i'm going to bed, tomorrow i'll pass this part

Haha I just finished that. I said I wouldn't go to bed until completing this part.

It's true. Everything was perfect.
The feeling of capturing a lightning bold is unforgettable.

It really truly is.
Even though i saw him do it i was still surprised when i realized i had just done it.
Someone said it earlier in the thread when i had no context for it, but now i agree. Better final strike than Wind Waker.

It really truly is.
Even though i saw him do it i was still surprised when i realized i had just done it.
Someone said it earlier in the thread when i had no context for it, but now i agree. Better final strike than Wind Waker.

It took me at least 4 tries to figure out what to do.
I knew that I could't use the skyward strike in the first half, so I didn't even think about doing it then, even though I watched him do it several times...
Haha. But when it finally clicked, I was amazed.

I'd say WW still holds that title, it was a sudden burst of graphic violence that came out of nowhere, then he turns to stone as Hyrule floods. This time around, it was pretty standard stuff.
He just kind of stabs him and then it's over. Edit: I forgot about the speech about the curse... Some of the stuff that should be important in this game is pretty forgettable.

Kard8p3

It took me at least 4 tries to figure out what to do.
I knew that I could't use the skyward strike in the first half, so I didn't even think about doing it then, even though I watched him do it several times...
Haha. But when it finally clicked, I was amazed.

I'd say WW still holds that title, it was a sudden burst of graphic violence that came out of nowhere. This time around, it was pretty standard stuff.

Definitely better than the one in TP.

Mistle

I'm so gutted that I didn't figure out that I could
catch the lightning
. I just won with normal fighting, so i didn't know I was doing anything wrong. I'm sure that feeling would have been unforgettable and i missed it ;___;

Seriously they should have made it you can't win unless you figure it out.

Lunar15

Here's what makes this Zelda enjoyable to me:

1. The game is broken down into pieces that are all pretty different types of gameplay. While this game does definitely have its flaws, it's paced in such a way that you're never dealing with those low points for too long, and usually the payoff is immense. It somewhat removes the more "open" feeling of previous games, however, I found it to be a more focused experience that really allowed for some spectacular moments and kept me engaged.

2. Motion Controls. I know they annoy some, and I won't lie and say I didn't have a couple of issues as well. But overall, these controls WORK, and they add a lot to the experience. It adds a fantastic degree of freshness, and it makes otherwise boring activities fun. I'm sure this will be a divisive point, but it's an important point nonetheless. In fact, the motion controls are so good in some spots, I'm going to miss them if Nintendo doesn't continue to include them.

3. Link's Athleticism. Stamina needs to stay. I've heard some people say it needs to be upgraded, and sure I can go for that. But ultimately, I don't care. I like this mechanic and it somehow adds a whole new feeling to the series. It baffles me how this simple mechanic made the game that much more fun.

This game has flaws and low points. Fi can be particularly annoying. Some of the fetch quests are unnecessary. But, due to the three points above, these flaws seem relatively minor in the grand scheme of things. Had this game been a standard Zelda game, with the same old pacing, the same old controls, and the same old mechanics, all of those flaws would have been tremendous. But the freshness that those three things combine are enough to overwhelm me and make me really enjoy this game. It's the first game since OOT that I felt was a true step forward in the series' evolution rather than an interesting step to the side. I'll take the low points in order to feel that kind of experience, and hope that they can take some of them and improve them in the future. While this is not my favorite Zelda game, it's just nice to feel surprised by one for a change.

Mistle

are you even supposed to do something to make it jump? mine just jumped automatically with no problems. maybe if you're leaning heavily you'll fail the jump?

IrishNinja

man, i wish it was automatic; you just fall to your death, over and over. it's flicking up with some momentum, apparently.
got past the first one, finding new ways to die before it ends. this part is not awesome.

IrishNinja

oh my glob
i fucking hate mine cart levels ever since taz-mania on the genesis, why the fuck would i want to play one with motion controls
let me take a mulligan already aonuma

man, i wish it was automatic; you just fall to your death, over and over. it's flicking up with some momentum, apparently.
got past the first one, finding new ways to die before it ends. this part is not awesome.
I'm pretty sure the jump is automatic, I've never had the jump fail and I've never had to do anything. Are you leaning around corners to gain speed? Maybe you aren't going fast enough to make the jumps.

IrishNinja

maybe? i tried staying fast too, link always fell.
fuck it! just passed, save point time. if this game ever makes me do that again ima trade it in for a CD-I.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

Had no problems at all with that part. Once I got the controls sussed in the first part, dealt with the second part first time around. Don't understand what the problems are.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I didn't know you could die there. I don't think I even bothered to do the jump motion.

Top Bottom