• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

out of curiosity... how much more of the game is there (just finished up the 2nd flame thing)?

And does loot have any other purpose besides slightly making my stuff better (where do I get the bird feather/claw loot?)?

Is there some quest for the bugs?

ASIS

This is Nintendo's biggest problem when it comes to its fans. Nintendo is always looking for some unique angle for some old convention. So in their success with the new they usually neglect or weaken the old convention. So its always "the next one should combine both to please everyone" and what does Nintendo do? They go on and do something new again and start a new cycle.

I for one love it. For SS in particular, I really have no problems seeing the big picture through a series of disconnected areas. Some might say it fails in World design like Corruption, I say it succeeds in making a breathing disconnected world like Pikmin. An intense focus on the micro so one can build the macro in ones mind.

It's definitely not MP3 corruption level. And I really think SS is one of the best games of this generation, if not ever (I'm going to wait until I can be firm with this situation, not now though :p). And honestly I don't want Nintendo to change simply for the sake of changing. BUT do you honestly see the disconnected overworlds being a series staple? Personally, I don't. I think that's what's going to make SS unique in the long run. But if they are not going to use it then what are they going to do? Going back to the empty overworld is a step back, but losing that sheer sense of scope is also a step back. What are they going to do?
out of curiosity... how much more of the game is there (just finished up the 2nd flame thing)?

And does loot have any other purpose besides slightly making my stuff better (where do I get the bird feather/claw loot?)?

Is there some quest for the bugs?

A) Aboud 50-60% done.

B) You can sell the loot and upgrade stuff with it, that's it. The bird feather you get from catching birds with a bug net, and the claw you can farm from bats in Skyloft's cave.

C) You can sell bugs for money or you can upgrade your potions with it. There WILL be a small side quest but you will know once you reach that point.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Excellent review. I will say, however, is that upon multiple playthroughs you will start to realize that, once the whole "NEW ZELDA" wears off. And the people asking for scope will finally realize that this game is just not meant to be this way, this game will be viewed on a much more positive light.

Coming off of TP, it seems like Nintendo should always stick with that big overworld, It really does increase immersion. But SS treats it differently, It's not trying to be the that daunting world. It's trying to be a world that you thought you knew but continues to surprise you.

I think the next logical step is to blend this style of the overworld and put it in a vast scope. It's going to be a huge challenge, but one I think will pay off in the end.

Trouble is, the next Zelda will be on WiiU, and I seriously doubt Nintendo is going to be prepared enough for making a vast, TP-sized land overworld with the puzzle density of Skyward Sword using next gen technology and assets. The other devs have had a hard enough time as it is. I think this kind of segmented world will be the way Nintendo will go from now on, which is a shame as I would like the direction you propose.

chickdigger802 said:

You're about
three quarters
of the way through. Plenty to go!

Claws are found on random monsters, most commonly from killing Keese (bats). Bird feathers are from catching non-blue birds with your net.

ASIS

Trouble is, the next Zelda will be on WiiU, and I seriously doubt Nintendo is going to be prepared enough for making a vast, TP-sized land overworld with the puzzle density of Skyward Sword using next gen technology and assets. The other devs have had a hard enough time as it is. I think this kind of segmented world will be the way Nintendo will go from now on, which is a shame as I would like the direction you propose.

I don't think so, I don't think so at all. The entire philosphy behind this game was to make the gameply vertical. Meaning each spot will have multiple layers, and though you are not moving to the next area/room, you are still doing something. That philosphy also transitioned into the game with the way areas were built and how to get to them. The entire idea of how a world should function in a 3D environment was flipped upside down in this one, which is a huge part of why I love this game so damn much! But it also means that previous successes won't be found in this new structure.

So what is the solution? Really just blend them both together, that's it. The world in SS is pretty huge. just erase the sky and slap all the areas together in your mind. It's not cohesive, but just look at the size, IT'S HUGE. They don't need to go bigger if the game doesn't require it. But they should also eliminate the idea of a barrier standing between you and the next area. Just look at Eldin's volcano from Faron's woods. It's right there in front of you, but you can't walk up to it. That's the only thing they need to overcome. It's not about size, and it's not about scope, because SS already has those.

Dr.Hadji

So what is the solution? Really just blend them both together, that's it. The world in SS is pretty huge. just erase the sky and slap all the areas together in your mind. It's not cohesive, but just look at the size, IT'S HUGE. They don't need to go bigger if the game doesn't require it. But they should also eliminate the idea of a barrier standing between you and the next area. Just look at Eldin's volcano from Faron's woods. It's right there in front of you, but you can't walk up to it. That's the only thing they need to overcome. It's not about size, and it's not about scope, because SS already has those.

This is what I was going to suggest. The main thing missing is the illusion of scale. Break down a couple of mental blocks and you can create that illusion easy.

Hobbun

Would you say the world in SS is as big as TP if you removed the sky and made it all interconnected, like TP?

It sounds like one of my concerns about the game, in that the world feels 'small' due to it being sectioned off, is there. Yes, I agree TP was more barren than it should have been, but one of the things I love about TP is the huge world and that you can go almost anywhere. What I would love is a packed world (like SS) but one that is also huge like TP. Yes, I want my cake and eat it, but I am willing to wait if Nintendo can give me both.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
That's fair enough. I think that they've done what they needed to with Skyward Sword, so they should probably leave the overworld design as it is for that game and go back to making things more seamless. Just connecting the main areas of the overworld so it can be traversed by foot (somehow) would do wonders.

I think this may partly be me being spoiled by Xenoblade, which has hands down the best world design in an adventure game by far - large AND seamless, and unique to boot. No puzzles, of course, but it's not that kind of game.

ASIS

Would you say the world in SS is as big as TP if you removed the sky and made it all interconnected, like TP?

It sounds like one of my concerns about the game, in that the world feels 'small' due to it being sectioned off, is there. Yes, I agree TP was more barren than it should have been, but one of the things I love about TP is the huge world and that you can go almost anywhere. What I would love is a packed world (like SS) but one that is also huge like TP. Yes, I want my cake and eat it, but I am willing to wait if Nintendo can give me both.

It's not small at all. But it doesn't have the "go wheverever your eyes can see" thing that TP had.
That's fair enough. I think that they've done what they needed to with Skyward Sword, so they should probably leave the overworld design as it is for that game and go back to making things more seamless. Just connecting the main areas of the overworld so it can be traversed by foot (somehow) would do wonders.

I think this may partly be me being spoiled by Xenoblade, which has hands down the best world design in an adventure game by far - large AND seamless, and unique to boot. No puzzles, of course, but it's not that kind of game.

RPGs are much easier to create a world for them. But I still really need to play this game!

Hobbun

It's not small at all. But it doesn't have the "go wheverever your eyes can see" thing that TP had.

Yes, and that’s what I love about TP. I am running along and seeing that treasure chest way up high and wondering “How the fuck do I get up there?” Maybe trying for awhile to reach the chest, I finally leave it and then get ‘x’ item in a later dungeon and it clicks remembering that chest that I am pretty sure I can now get to. I am hoping SS was an experiment in regards to the world, and that it will go back to being huge and more seamless like TP, but, filled with more content and puzzles.

As for Xenoblade, I am looking forward to it and already have it paid off.

Trouble is, the next Zelda will be on WiiU, and I seriously doubt Nintendo is going to be prepared enough for making a vast, TP-sized land overworld with the puzzle density of Skyward Sword using next gen technology and assets. The other devs have had a hard enough time as it is. I think this kind of segmented world will be the way Nintendo will go from now on, which is a shame as I would like the direction you propose..

This gen has shown how some small studios out of nowhere like CDProject RED and Rocksteady were capable of making pretty big games without much of a vast pedigree. I have faith that a behemoth like Nintendo will do fine.

ASIS

Yes, and that’s what I love about TP. I am running along and seeing that treasure chest way up high and wondering “How the fuck do I get up there?” Maybe trying for awhile to reach the chest, I finally leave it and then get ‘x’ item in a later dungeon and it clicks remembering that chest that I am pretty sure I can now get to. I am hoping SS was an experiment in regards to the world, and that it will go back to being huge and more seamless like TP, but, filled with more content and puzzles.

As for Xenoblade, I am looking forward to it and already have it paid off.

Oh you mean that kind of scope. Yeah SS has that. What I meant by my previous statement is basically when you see Hyrule Castle from Zora's domain, the 5 pillars from lake Hylia, etc.

If you want backtracking and density this game has TP beat by a MILE!

They really need to go back to the old overworld. I made a longish post about this but it's my number one issue with the game. It's not fun to be in. There's nothing organic about the way you discover things.

The idea of pre-dungeon sections is SS' best concept. But that needs to be part of a vast overworld, and done in a way where you're always discovering new areas after a dungeon. Not backtracking to area 2 but going down path b.

Hobbun

Oh you mean that kind of scope. Yeah SS has that. What I meant by my previous statement is basically when you see Hyrule Castle from Zora's domain, the 5 pillars from lake Hylia, etc.

If you want backtracking and density this game has TP beat by a MILE!

Well, maybe I should have been more clear. Yes, I do like the scope of what I described, but I do like that vast and epic feel as well. Where you can see, as you said, Hyrule Castle way out in the distance or you are exploring a completely new area. I’ve always loved large worlds, and from what I have read about SS, your review included, you lose that.

Another thing that disappoints me about the game is the lack of dungeons compared to TP. Also, the lessening of the heart pieces, which I’ve always loved hunting for.

However, I am by no means trying to make a judgment on SS as I haven’t played it yet. I am nearing the end of TP now and will start SS afterwards. Then I will be able to make any decisions/review on the game.

Dr.Hadji

This guy on Street Fighter 4 is hilarious. I see now that his rage extends to other games as well.

They really need to go back to the old overworld. I made a longish post about this but it's my number one issue with the game. It's not fun to be in. There's nothing organic about the way you discover things.

Wat? Are we talking overworld as in the clouds or on the ground? If its the ground, I don't know how a place that makes constant use of your mechanics is not fun to be in.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What's the song called when you fight Koloktos? Such a good fight.

sphinx

the piano man
I know the world will always remain fragmented but I hope I get the chance to freely explore soon. I just finished the 3rd temple and I miss getting out of my way to do other stuff.

As I play, it becomes clear that the cloud barrier between the sky and the ground and the fact that the ground parts don't interconnect is due to technical limitations, as though the original vision was for it all to be seamless, but the Wii couldn't handle all the constant loading without making the space between overworld locations bigger (like WW) making the transport slower (like ST). In the end, they decided on making the world segmented like TP was.

If I were in charge of polishing at Nintendo, I'd make the following changes:

- Text speed needs to be customisable
- Hint system needs to have a Pro Mode too
- Save points outside of dungeons need to also be teleport points within each area. It's essentially halfway there, just cut out the sky portion if someone just wants to go from one part of the forest to another. Going from Faron to Eldin should still require flying though.
- Tornadoes need to go. There is no real penalty for getting caught in one, so they just end up being annoying. Replace them with rings you can fly through to get rupees or something.
- Balance out the drops. I should never be in a situation where I have a dozen golden skulls and only one regular one. Club wielding bokoblins stop spawning in some areas after a certain point, which makes hunting down missing skulls a pain.

Dr.Hadji

Wat. That aws the best section imo, the only one with at least a tiny bit of atmosphere. The dessert was HORRIBLE.

Lanayru Province probably my favorite Zelda area. Its in a tight race with OOT's forest (Kokiri Village, Deku Tree, Lost Woods) and maybe MM's Ikana Valley.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
As a general side-quest noob, is there some strategy that helps you to do them all? I just finished the 3rd dungeon, and after dungeons it just seems that there's occasionally random people that want you to do something. Do I have to go to everyone in the sky after each dungeon to see if they have some dots over their heads, because then I'll just check a faq because I'm not going to bother, or is there some logic to it?

maharg

idspispopd
As a general side-quest noob, is there some strategy that helps you to do them all? I just finished the 3rd dungeon, and after dungeons it just seems that there's occasionally random people that want you to do something. Do I have to go to everyone in the sky after each dungeon to see if they have some dots over their heads, because then I'll just check a faq because I'm not going to bother, or is there some logic to it?

The side quests are triggered in various ways by the main quest, so yes you pretty much have to do that. Some of them are completely arbitrary (dungeon X makes person Y disappear or whatever), others are because of items you don't have yet.

Honestly, this is one of my gripes with this game. It's really frustrating to be in the mood to do side quests and have all of the side quests blocked by the main quest. Really contributes to the hand-holding feeling people get with this game.

Nah, just needs to be like every other game in this series: Faster and jumpable. No need for another knob.

Pyrrhus

Lanayru Province probably my favorite Zelda area. Its in a tight race with OOT's forest (Kokiri Village, Deku Tree, Lost Woods) and maybe MM's Ikana Valley.

Lanayru Desert was great. Liked the music and thought the idea of temporarily restoring a small section of the world to its former glory was melancholy and kind of creepy. Eldin Volcano had this dumpy ass music and they made me climb the same mountain four times over the course of the game. Too much padding in general. It would have been a much tighter game if it lasted 20 hours instead of 40.

Anth0ny

- Save points outside of dungeons need to also be teleport points within each area. It's essentially halfway there, just cut out the sky portion if someone just wants to go from one part of the forest to another. Going from Faron to Eldin should still require flying though.

It really shouldn't. Majora's Mask got this right.

I agree with your other points, though. The text speed is so much faster in EVERY Zelda game, including the ever-so-slow Twilight Princess.

This is how that fucking Zelda cycle meme starts. It's because Nintendo actually makes certain aspects of the game worse with their decisions, and suddenly "lol zelda cycle".

luca1980

Banned
Text speed is strane, just saw a cutscene with fast text speed(after third flame) so it' slow because of strange ideas at Nintendo.

ASIS

Text speed is strane, just saw a cutscene with fast text speed(after third flame) so it' slow because of strange ideas at Nintendo.

It's supposed to replicate a voice. The speed of the text goes slower and quicker depending on the speed of the person who's talking. Holding A makes it go faster.

I thought it was a nice touch, but obviously people here didn't like it.
As I play, it becomes clear that the cloud barrier between the sky and the ground and the fact that the ground parts don't interconnect is due to technical limitations, as though the original vision was for it all to be seamless, but the Wii couldn't handle all the constant loading without making the space between overworld locations bigger (like WW) making the transport slower (like ST). In the end, they decided on making the world segmented like TP was.

- Tornadoes need to go. There is no real penalty for getting caught in one, so they just end up being annoying. Replace them with rings you can fly through to get rupees or something.
- Balance out the drops. I should never be in a situation where I have a dozen golden skulls and only one regular one. Club wielding bokoblins stop spawning in some areas after a certain point, which makes hunting down missing skulls a pain.

I believe this is the case as well. It's also the reason for no day/night system.

Oh and the Gold skulls is supposed to be a joke I think.

maharg

idspispopd
It makes it go an infuriatingly tiny amount faster, and there's no way to just get the screen filled. Which is especially annoying when dealing with oft-repeated text (ie. at a shop).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wooo! Just convinced another friend to buy this game :)

+1 Sale

Yoshichan

Will try giving this another shot: anyone know what the song is called when you fight Kolotos?

Penguin

Seems like there will always be 25th Anniversary T-shirts as well

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/zelda25th/apparel/index.html

btn_02_l.jpg

That was an issue. If you're flying over Skyloft, why do we have to "load" to enter something that should be RIGHT there? Also, the world did not feel that that segmented in Wind Waker. You'd sail to an island and be able to get off RIGHT there. Whether the water was there for limitations or not on the Gamecube, it was rather seamless when u actually got to the island. Plus, you could drop anchors and get items if I remember correctly.

I'm hoping that they keep the land of Twilight Princess and the sky of Skyward Sword and make everything interconnected. That way you get the best of both worlds.

anyone know what song this is on the background? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIU4tPnvFF8

still cant find it anywhere :|

i think just about every zelda fan would love this. i would love it if the next game was like metroid in terms of inter connectivity and seamless transitions to one place to another with the massive scale and scope of zelda. however i know something like that is at least another 10 years away or so :/

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

ASIS

That was an issue. If you're flying over Skyloft, why do we have to "load" to enter something that should be RIGHT there? Also, the world did not feel that that segmented in Wind Waker. You'd sail to an island and be able to get off RIGHT there. Whether the water was there for limitations or not on the Gamecube, it was rather seamless when u actually got to the island. Plus, you could drop anchors and get items if I remember correctly.

I'm hoping that they keep the land of Twilight Princess and the sky of Skyward Sword and make everything interconnected. That way you get the best of both worlds.

The water acted as a loading screen. It was an ingenious design that helped them really make the world feel grand.

How did the fans receive that? Exactly. Fact of the matter is, Wii limited their design this time around, it's like the designers fought so hard to still deliver their imagination. That didn't seem to be the case at all with TP and WW.

One of the best songs in the game.

How people say this game doesn't have an outstanding soundtrack is beyond me.

i guess people really enjoy epic sight seeing

I mean, yeah, it's undeniably cool to see a mountain off in the distance and know you can go to that place. But I am fully of the opinion that you can have those moments and still have shit to do in every inch of the world.

Although, my complaints with OoT (which I am actually playing through right now on my 3DS) would mostly be alleviated if I had a faster form of travel. Much like my complaints with the sky in SS were alleviated once I turned on the always-fly-at-boost-speed cheat. :3

Sinthetic

Positives

- Beautiful style and art, it looked really good on my 42" LCD.
- Really great music, especially "Romance 1 & 2" and the Flying Theme.
- The beginning, others might have found it boring, but I was captivated by it and loved every second.
- Lots of variety, I can't list it all, because it would take all freakin' day.
- Very intuitive controls that worked 95% of the time. Sword fighting felt really good.
- The Beetle was the best item I can remember in a Zelda I've played.
- Some sublime dungeon work, especially Sky Keep, Ancient Cistern and Sandship.
- Great boss battles, mainly Koloktos and Tantalus. They are incredible.
- The first time Fi did her dance routine made me smile from ear to ear!
- Fantastic characters: Sparrot, Gondo, Levias, Kukiel and Batreaux.
- Groose - Enough said.
- Scrapper - That dude made me piss myself so many times. Shortpants.
- Collecting and upgrading was addictive, the RPG nature of the game felt like a really nice addition to me, making choices of what to say and what to upgrade felt important to me being the hero.
- Ghirahim is the most amazing Villain of the Year, he's the Joker of the Zelda World.
- I really liked the flying controls and swimming felt much better than I thought.
- Silent Realm, most exciting part of the game by a mile. Skyloft Realm was so sweet, turning home into something nail biting was very clever. Also, Eldin had my heart pounding. That particular setting was a personal favourite.
- The plants that contain water, I love stabbing them!
- Zelda - The cutest and most wonderful version of Zelda of all time. Her relationship with Link hit me so many times, I shed a tear or two for sure, mainly at The Gate of Time.
- Kikwii, I love those guys, they are so cute and hilarious.
- The fight with Black Swan Oni Akuma aka Demise was really good, love the setting and he felt satisfying to batter, the final blow was seriously satisfying.
- Amazing ending, definitely will live on in my mind ahead of the annoyances I had with the game.
- Grannie and finding out she was Impa. How freakin' special.

Negatives

- Too much intrusion from Fi, she was a good character, but overall, she led to some of the worst times I had with the game. I really disliked the singing, she looked really weird and I don't like that.
- The Harp playing to open the Silent Realm challenges annoyed me, I've got no sense of rhythm and one particular time I was strumming like a fool until the gate opened. Alas, the time after, I did it perfectly.
- Hit or miss controls 5% of the time, the calibration being out of whack is the main reason, things like directions getting messed up and the skydiving never doing what I wanted it to, but that is no doubt because I wasn't doing it right. I got the rope walking and swimming down in the end and I'm sure I would have with the skydiving.
- The not being able to skip exchanges that you had 1000 times already, the notification every time I got the same bug or treasure when I would turn the game on etc...
- The 3 batch collectathon, really was a drag after a while. The game would have been better for being 10 hours shorter without the padding, fluff, whatever you want to call it. It could have been much more concise.

That's pretty much it, the best thing is that I really feel like replaying it already so I can enjoy it effortlessly. Biggest regret was not giving the game my undivided attention. *Does Ghirahim tongue waggle and leaves*

Haunted

It makes it go an infuriatingly tiny amount faster, and there's no way to just get the screen filled. Which is especially annoying when dealing with oft-repeated text (ie. at a shop).
The UI in these instances is hilariously outdated anyway.

Just think back to selling treasures at the gear shop owners house at night. Who designs things to be like this?

There's an odd mixture of pretty damn visionary and forward-thinking mechanics and completely outdated and puzzling oversights/choices in this game.

Top Bottom