• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Hiltz

i dont care about the spoiler aspect of this....but could someone tell me what the "gift" is in the 6th dungeon...all the ones ive got so far make sense but i cant figure out what could be left to aquire.

It's the
upgraded digging mitts for digging into specified dirt spots so you can travel through tunnels to unlock or get past obstacles.
It's a subtle upgrade change and one that's not all that interesting to be honest.

Andrew.

Banned
It's the
upgraded digging mitts for digging into specified dirt spots so you can travel through tunnels to unlock or get past obstacles.
It's a subtle upgrade change and one that's not all that interesting to be honest.

THANKS MAN...i figured it would be something like that considering what ive got as far as equipment now.

illadelph

I love that Goron dude who pops up everywhere, he's probably my favorite character in the game. He is always so into what he's doing and has no idea that you (usually) know way more than he does

Levyne

Banned
I love that Goron dude who pops up everywhere, he's probably my favorite character in the game. He is always so into what he's doing and has no idea that you (usually) know way more than he does

I love the sound the gorons make, like they are so invested in everything they do and learn.

"oooooooooohhhhhhhhh" *wiggle with excitement*

Dr.Hadji

Been reading that some people feel the first few dungeons felt too samey. But I felt the opposite. So much of the pacing of those first two dungeons depend greatly on enemy encounters hence so much on sword play hence so much with using this great new tool in the Wii Motion +. If I let myself get hung up on it being a dungeon, then sure puzzle wise and structure wise they are pretty standard. But in playing through them I didn't feel the need for the the level to wow me with a new puzzle. The moment to moment interactions were enough to drive me through completion. Felt like a slower more full action level to be honest.

McNum

Yeah, I mentioned he was a 3 phase fight :p.

As for the one I had trouble with, I always seem to get hit
When its tentacle snakes begin flinging at you right before finishing it off

edit: Oh maybe I see the confusion, I meant gotta be slow with the player's sword.
For the one you have trouble with
the tentacle snake attack can be nullified completely if you're fast enough with the sword. And when I say fast, I mean FAST. Stand at range, just beyond the circle on the floor, and be ready. As soon as the first snake gets in range, start slashing, and keep attacking until the last snake falls. It's almost waggle, except it helps to aim your strikes.

Sinthetic

This game really does drag on, I love it but I really wish it had the fat cut off it. I'm sure this has been said many times before, but the incessant collect 3 of this and that is just wearing me down and stopping the beautiful moments from shining through when I think back about it.

I finally thought that I was at the end, but no, hold on, collect another
Stone
to help you find the
Triforce
. Enough already.

Perhaps it's because I've taken the game really slowly and had bouts where I didn't play the game at all due to other releases, but I'm pissed for feeling this way. The game is in the realm of 85%+ either way.

I'm off to probably collect another couple of things that help me track down another batch of 3 other things.

P.S - Does this game have the most collecting out of all other Zelda games? I mean the actual songs, upgrades, tablets, relics etc...

ASIS

This game really does drag on, I love it but I really wish it had the fat cut off it. I'm sure this has been said many times before, but the incessant collect 3 of this and that is just wearing me down and stopping the beautiful moments from shining through when I think back about it.

I finally thought that I was at the end, but no, hold on, collect another
Stone
to help you find the
Triforce
. Enough already.

Perhaps it's because I've taken the game really slowly and had bouts where I didn't play the game at all due to other releases, but I'm pissed for feeling this way. The game is in the realm of 85%+ either way.

I'm off to probably collect another couple of things that help me track down another batch of 3 other things.

Hint:
You don't collect another stone

Scarecrow

In the desert, a stone mentions something about a shield I can get from some dragon. I feel like I'm getting close to the end of the game and don't want to miss this. Is it miss-able?

Mistle

In the desert, a stone mentions something about a shield I can get from some dragon. I feel like I'm getting close to the end of the game and don't want to miss this. Is it miss-able?
If you don't know what "some dragon" is yet, then you're not too close to the end of the game. It is miss-able, but you'll know what to do when the time arises. Just a tip- when given the option to "quit", QUIT! lol.

EDIT: As The_Technomancer said below, it's not permanently miss-able. But it's not part of the main narrative so you might just skip by it.

yay i did it! i finally beat the game, took 42 hours. definitely my favorite 3d zelda to date. some of my problems with it though:
all that stuff they put between the 6th and final dungeons, enemy variety, and those annoying notices every single time you restart the game and pickup an upgrade or insect
other than that i felt it had an immense amount of charm, amazing dungeon design, and great gameplay.

edit:
has anyone here beaten the game on hero mode? i had quite a bit of trouble with the last 2 bosses and one of the rooms of the final dungeon so i couldn't imagine ever going through it with only 6 hearts and taking double damage the entire game

Yagharek

It is missable, but you can still complete the game without it if thats what worries you.

Scarecrow

If you don't know what "some dragon" is yet, then you're not too close to the end of the game. It is miss-able, but you'll know what to do when the time arises. Just a tip- when given the option to "quit", QUIT! lol.

EDIT: As The_Technomancer said below, it's not permanently miss-able. But it's not part of the main narrative so you might just skip by it.

Egads! Right now, I just got the
earings that let me into the volcano
. How much more game is there?

Poyunch

Does anyone have a link to TSA's impressions? Now that I've been finished for a week I'd love to read all the reviews and impressions that I skipped so that I wouldn't get spoiled.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Holy fuck, I finally got to the point of getting pissed at the motion controls
when dealing with the Deku Baba right next to the claw shot grapple point in the desert. I knew that I had to use the slingshot to dizzy it and then use the claw shot twice to cross the chasm. But constantly using the motion controls to aim the slingshot, claw shot and navigate the item menu (which does NOT pause the enemies action) was a bit too much for me to handle. I can't how many times I fell because of that fucking Deku Baba before making it across.

Quick question: I just started playing this game for the first time and I remember reading about some game-breaking quest bug if you do stuff in a certain order. Can someone quickly let me know what to do (or what not to do)? I'm fine with getting spoiled by character names or whatever, because I remember it being about the order of 3 characters you visit. Thanks.

Holy fuck, I finally got to the point of getting pissed at the motion controls
when dealing with the Deku Baba right next to the claw shot grapple point in the desert. I knew that I had to use the slingshot to dizzy it and then use the claw shot twice to cross the chasm. But constantly using the motion controls to aim the slingshot, claw shot and navigate the item menu (which does NOT pause the enemies action) was a bit too much for me to handle. I can't how many times I fell because of that fucking Deku Baba before making it across.

You could've just
killed it by cutting it's stem with the beetle.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I just beat the game - Finally - It was great and I absolutely loved every minute of it. Also
I didn't realize that Akuma made a cameo in The Legend of Zelda series :p
made me lol.

Quick question: I just started playing this game for the first time and I remember reading about some game-breaking quest bug if you do stuff in a certain order. Can someone quickly let me know what to do (or what not to do)? I'm fine with getting spoiled by character names or whatever, because I remember it being about the order of 3 characters you visit. Thanks.

Sure sure. I JUST went past this part in the game.
Funny thing is, I was so close to breaking my game because I forgot about it... lol

1. As you said, in a later part of the game, when you feel like you're near the end,
I'd say around 40hrs for me? you'll have to find 3 different parts of something from 3 different characters. You are given the choice on the order in which you find them.

2. If you go to the thunder character first, then talk to the Goron character who is at the entrace of that area AFTER you obtain a part of a three-piece, you won't be able to collect the other 2 pieces, preventing you from completing the quest.

2. So the thunder character area is where the glitch can occur. It is advised you go to the other 2 element characters first.

Just got done with the Earth Temple. That boss, while not exactly original in the way you have to beat it, had a great unique scenario. Nice change of pace from the usual
round rooms
that Zelda bosses tend to have.

What's this I hear about the game really picking up after the third dungeon? Cause right now I'm already loving it.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
So I finished this yesterday. It took me a while to think of a way to sum up how I feel about this game, based on what it sets out to do and how it stacks up to Zelda games of the past. And, it may sound weird but I think this game draws many positive - and negative - parallels to Metroid Prime: Corruption.

Both games are absolutely fantastic showcases for the Wii technology. Zelda however takes it several steps further. It truly puts together all the Wii motions, minigame tricks and lessons learned from 5 years of motion control technology and makes it just work in an adventuring environment. While I would be lying if I didn't say the controls flaked out on me a few times, none of them thankfully resulted in a serious fuck-up for me, and more to the point the positives outweighed the tech issues completely. Nearly every fight in the game was engaging and swordplay was tense and exciting. Waggle is really not an option against the tougher foes, and even the smaller enemies keep you in check with that sort of thing. The item useage was amazing in how they mapped to motion controls, and several tiles I got that smug feeling I'd get whenever I solved a puzzle from just using items in normal combat. It's a shame that Skyward Sword came too late in the Wii's life, because other games companies could learn a thing or two about how to apply motion controls to traditional games instead of flooding the system with absolute shit waggle minigames.

As a Zelda game - as a continuation of this beloved franchise and the sort of (for lack of a better term for it) magical feeling it gives when playing, it's good. However, like Metroid Prime Corruption, I just feel like it's a bit disjointed from the games before it, or it just misses that spark. Puzzles are really frequent and often give you a smug sense of accomplishment when you work out how to do things. That's good! It definitely stacks up against the best in the series for it. Also, the story elements are pretty interesting and some of the elements that relate directly to Zelda games before it (and chronologically after) blew my mind as a long-term Zelda fan. Those will definitely stick with me. However, the story wasn't epic - it felt very much like slow, lumbering beginnings for the series. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I suppose I expected it to be something it is not.

But I think my big problem is that, due to the segmented nature of the Sky, the Land and how Nintendo tried blurring the lines between overworld and dungeon with the puzzley nature, it just doesn't feel like that immersive a world, and I think that's something I miss a lot. It didn't give me that sad feeling Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess did when the ending credits roll and I had to say goodbye to the world I lost myself in so eagerly from the start. Not only was everything small, but a lot of places were repeated frequently during the playtime. Admittedly they do some ingenious things and squeeze every last drop of life out from the same areas, but again, it doesn't do much to help immerse me in the world the same way previous Zeldas did. Also for everything they did to wow me in puzzles and combat, they did overdo it massively with the handholding tutorials forced down your throat throughout the game. Fi is easily the worst companion Link has ever had, and being an emotionless nuisance who kept blathering on about the dumbest things possible I did not even remotely give a shit when - ending spoilers -
she said she would fall asleep forever inside the Master Sword and never reawaken.
I was hoping they would dial it back considering they already have the helper Gossip Stones and learned not to be intrusive with help and dialogue during the Galaxy games. As it is, it's pretty irritating and definitely deters from the overall experience.

So I guess to sum it up; as a game on its own, Zelda: Skyward Sword is an incredible showcase of ingenuity and craftsmanship and finally proves that motion controls can work to bring traditional games forward to the next step. As a Zelda title, it's competent - and very good! - but it lacks that extra edge of polish and immersion to make me feel truly lost in the experience.

Anyway, Xenoblade gets my GOTY award regardless. :p

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Quick question...

Im on the Ship in the desert trying to get flame enhancement #2 for my sword. Does this count as dungeon #5 or is that something that happens after i get the sword enhancement?

Thrakier

So I finished this yesterday. It took me a while to think of a way to sum up how I feel about this game, based on what it sets out to do and how it stacks up to Zelda games of the past. And, it may sound weird but I think this game draws many positive - and negative - parallels to Metroid Prime: Corruption.

Both games are absolutely fantastic showcases for the Wii technology. Zelda however takes it several steps further. It truly puts together all the Wii motions, minigame tricks and lessons learned from 5 years of motion control technology and makes it just work in an adventuring environment. While I would be lying if I didn't say the controls flaked out on me a few times, none of them thankfully resulted in a serious fuck-up for me, and more to the point the positives outweighed the tech issues completely. Nearly every fight in the game was engaging and swordplay was tense and exciting. Waggle is really not an option against the tougher foes, and even the smaller enemies keep you in check with that sort of thing. The item useage was amazing in how they mapped to motion controls, and several tiles I got that smug feeling I'd get whenever I solved a puzzle from just using items in normal combat. It's a shame that Skyward Sword came too late in the Wii's life, because other games companies could learn a thing or two about how to apply motion controls to traditional games instead of flooding the system with absolute shit waggle minigames.

As a Zelda game - as a continuation of this beloved franchise and the sort of (for lack of a better term for it) magical feeling it gives when playing, it's good. However, like Metroid Prime Corruption, I just feel like it's a bit disjointed from the games before it, or it just misses that spark. Puzzles are really frequent and often give you a smug sense of accomplishment when you work out how to do things. That's good! It definitely stacks up against the best in the series for it. Also, the story elements are pretty interesting and some of the elements that relate directly to Zelda games before it (and chronologically after) blew my mind as a long-term Zelda fan. Those will definitely stick with me. However, the story wasn't epic - it felt very much like slow, lumbering beginnings for the series. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I suppose I expected it to be something it is not.

But I think my big problem is that, due to the segmented nature of the Sky, the Land and how Nintendo tried blurring the lines between overworld and dungeon with the puzzley nature, it just doesn't feel like that immersive a world, and I think that's something I miss a lot. It didn't give me that sad feeling Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess did when the ending credits roll and I had to say goodbye to the world I lost myself in so eagerly from the start. Not only was everything small, but a lot of places were repeated frequently during the playtime. Admittedly they do some ingenious things and squeeze every last drop of life out from the same areas, but again, it doesn't do much to help immerse me in the world the same way previous Zeldas did. Also for everything they did to wow me in puzzles and combat, they did overdo it massively with the handholding tutorials forced down your throat throughout the game. Fi is easily the worst companion Link has ever had, and being an emotionless nuisance who kept blathering on about the dumbest things possible I did not even remotely give a shit when - ending spoilers -
she said she would fall asleep forever inside the Master Sword and never reawaken.
I was hoping they would dial it back considering they already have the helper Gossip Stones and learned not to be intrusive with help and dialogue during the Galaxy games. As it is, it's pretty irritating and definitely deters from the overall experience.

So I guess to sum it up; as a game on its own, Zelda: Skyward Sword is an incredible showcase of ingenuity and craftsmanship and finally proves that motion controls can work to bring traditional games forward to the next step. As a Zelda title, it's competent - and very good! - but it lacks that extra edge of polish and immersion to make me feel truly lost in the experience.

provides useful feedback

That's how I felt as well. :)

Thrakier

Just fought that pirate guy and got the bow. Went back on the deck and shot the crystal to put the ship back in time again. Went inside the ship and saved.

EDIT-- If that is the 5th dungeon, then yes, untraditional is the right word.

It is, you could hear the same sound when he's climbing up the staris when like he's going down in a dungeon.

Andrew.

Banned
Just fought that pirate guy and got the bow. Went back on the deck and shot the crystal to put the ship back in time again. Went inside the ship and saved.

its not the end though. still more to come

Ugh I finally finished after 39 hours, the end was grueling for me. I find it fitting that my first game played through on the Wii was Zelda and my last game played on through on the Wii will be Zelda. I liked Twilight Princess better though.

But I think my big problem is that, due to the segmented nature of the Sky, the Land and how Nintendo tried blurring the lines between overworld and dungeon with the puzzley nature, it just doesn't feel like that immersive a world, and I think that's something I miss a lot. It didn't give me that sad feeling Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess did when the ending credits roll and I had to say goodbye to the world I lost myself in so eagerly from the start.
You hit the nail on the head with the way I feel about this game.

Poyunch

If it has a boss door it's a dungeon. Well...

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I realized you could very quickly kill slime enemies with a horizontal slash followed by a quick vertical swipe. The horizontal slash separates them into two small slimes that are one over the other, and the vertical swipe takes them both out before they have a chance to recombine or do anything. It's awesome.

I realized you could very quickly kill slime enemies with a horizontal slash followed by a quick vertical swipe. The horizontal slash separates them into two small slimes that are one over the other, and the vertical swipe takes them both out before they have a chance to recombine or do anything. It's awesome.

I never tried that, I used a vertical swipe quickly followed by a horizontal one(doesn't work on electric blobs though, one of them always electrifies).

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I never tried that, I used a vertical swipe quickly followed by a horizontal one(doesn't work on electric blobs though, one of them always electrifies).
I did that because of the electrical ones, actually. The vertical swipe after the horizontal one catches the little slimes before they electrify.

I did that because of the electrical ones, actually. The vertical swipe after the horizontal one catches the little slimes before they electrify.

Ha, I tried the horizontal swipe once, & was not impressed when I saw them re-combine. Thats one of the things I like about this game, although the enemies are very simple you can find your own ways of dealing with them.

Andrew.

Banned
Looking forward to taking on the next dungeon...the fire one i believe....althought im not a huge fan of the twilight stages..they kinda annoy me.

ASIS

Excellent review. I will say, however, is that upon multiple playthroughs you will start to realize that, once the whole "NEW ZELDA" wears off. And the people asking for scope will finally realize that this game is just not meant to be this way, this game will be viewed on a much more positive light.

Coming off of TP, it seems like Nintendo should always stick with that big overworld, It really does increase immersion. But SS treats it differently, It's not trying to be the that daunting world. It's trying to be a world that you thought you knew but continues to surprise you.

I think the next logical step is to blend this style of the overworld and put it in a vast scope. It's going to be a huge challenge, but one I think will pay off in the end.

Dr.Hadji

I think the next logical step is to blend this style of the overworld and put it in a vast scope. It's going to be a huge challenge, but one I think will pay off in the end.

This is Nintendo's biggest problem when it comes to its fans. Nintendo is always looking for some unique angle for some old convention. So in their success with the new they usually neglect or weaken the old convention. So its always "the next one should combine both to please everyone" and what does Nintendo do? They go on and do something new again and start a new cycle.

I for one love it. For SS in particular, I really have no problems seeing the big picture through a series of disconnected areas. Some might say it fails in World design like Corruption, I say it succeeds in making a breathing disconnected world like Pikmin. An intense focus on the micro so one can build the macro in ones mind.

Top Bottom