• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Nintendo-4Life said:
How people say this game doesn't have an outstanding soundtrack is beyond me.
I think Skyward Sword's soundtrack is one of the most consistent soundtracks of 2011. There are more themes that I enjoy listening to both in-game and out-of-game than there are tracks that I don't enjoy (but there aren't many tracks that I don't enjoy). It's very melodic and sometimes bombastic, enhanced by the use of an orchestra this time around.

I think the dungeon tracks are rather strong this time around. I think they're consistent in terms of melody and catchiness. I enjoyed that the dungeon themes themselves began to share the same dynamics and variations much like the field themes from Ocarina of Time and forward... and I think this is a fantastic addition on the composers' part.

And the boss themes are great, with
Koloktos's
being my favourite... but that's mostly because that was my favourite boss in the game.

Meh. It's okay that people don't seem to like the soundtrack, but it's a little surprising to see some (not on GAF) outright dismissing the soundtrack altogether or saying it's the worst Zelda soundtrack in the series.

carlo6529

I beat the game a few days ago, I feel I should express my thoughts with the whole negative and positive outlook. I'm sure a lot of what I say has been said by others, haven't really been keeping track though~

Negatives:

-More retracking in the game then i would of liked or that im used to in a zelda game; the game re uses most of the areas for all sorts of fetch quests; gets a little tedious

-Item selection (click and drag technique); I liked having items mapped to buttons much much better

-Not enough and not much variety in Sidequests; also I really really reallyyyyyyyyyyyy dont like how Nintendo went about to limit you from doing sidequests. Most side quests don't get triggered until you reach a certain point in the storyline. I could understand if they were directly correlated to the story and that is the reason why you can't do them right away but they are not. This created what i like to call invisible walls or barriers and took away my freedom to play the game how i wanted and as a result ruined the experience a little bit.

-Fi, aka Navi aka midna...etc. Is very annoying and really pales in comparsion to Midna from TP. My favorite thing Fi says is "Master, the batteries in your wiimote are low". I F~N know nintendo! I can see low battery symbol on the screen! Also no relationship is built between her and Link.
the whole "i feel happy" thing at the end of the game; doesn't count; nintendo just threw that at the player too abruptly

-WHy can't I skip dialogue?

-the sensor bar/placement of and callibration loss; the game makes the sensor bar feel very primitive; it actually affected my gameplay experience during the
cart mini game

-Sky area very underutilized; so much potential was lost.
I was really looking forward to sneaking out at night and flying to the different islands to see what awaited me; but nintendo didn't allow night time exploration/flying

-Another main town, on the ground in particular for
the gorons
instead of just skyloft would of been nice

Positives:

-Really good character design for the most part.

-Link's, Fi's and Ghirahm's animation is pretty solid for the most part

-Items/equipment usage through out the game is much more balanced(for the most part)
I love the beetle; even though its an evolved form of the Seagull from Windwaker
A lot of Variety in the items found in the game aswell.

-Upgrade system is nice; would like to see it again with more depth

- New Sword fighting controls with Motion + brings a lot to the game.

-Orchestrated music is nice

-Nice Variety in Bosses and Dungeons

-Zelda actually feels important

Overall I really enjoyed the game. I can't say its better then WW or TP buts its definately not worse. Each game does things better then the other. I will say however that i still feel WW is a much more "fun" game. As I expected before playing the game and seeing the variety in score numbers, the game definately does not deserve a 7, nor does it deserve a 10 though.

Mistle

Yeah, it's alright that the music might not be everybody's cup of tea, but saying it's the worst or even *bad* is crazy imo. I thought it was amazing, and some tunes were even breathtaking.
There was no single tune as perfect as like, the WW main theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgTchH6OJw4 (probably my favourite Zelda song), but overall I feel SS had the best soundtrack of any Zelda game.

OoT still wins in the simple memorable melody category (kind of unfair though as simple melodies are a main mechanic of the game :p), WW wins in having the most atmospheric music, but SS wins overall for just being so grand and powerful to listen to. Even the mellow songs are grand and powerful, if that makes sense. And plus, the tunes are memorable! I constantly have them running through my head. The orchestra and high quality samples really work wonders, but even those are just an asset to the brilliant compositions.

maharg

idspispopd
-the sensor bar/placement of and callibration loss; the game makes the sensor bar feel very primitive; it actually affected my gameplay experience during the
cart mini game

The game doesn't use the sensor bar at all. Seriously. Put a book in front of your wiimote and see. Only time it does is to calibrate the motion+'s default centering (when it asks you to point at the center of the screen).

I think the music is good in an atmospheric way, but there's no theme in this one that I can recall that will stick like the original overworld theme, many of LttP's themes, or OoT's overworld theme.

Comparing current Zelda game music to old Zelda game music is tricky, though. They were going for something different back then. It's like the Burton Batman movies vs. the Nolan ones. The Nolan music might be technically more elegant, it might invoke moods more subtly while still being very powerful, but the old music is just plain iconic. I think Zelda's much the same.

carlo6529

The game doesn't use the sensor bar at all. Seriously. Put a book in front of your wiimote and see. Only time it does is to calibrate the motion+'s default centering (when it asks you to point at the center of the screen).

Whenever i had to hit down the the D-pad to center the wiimote; is that not because of the Wiimote is losing track of the sensor bar? Either way, that is what i mean.

Dr.Hadji

Man,
Din's Tear trail
is the best one yet. The slopes of the mountain provided a great place for some heart pounding near misses.

maharg

idspispopd
Whenever i had to hit down the the D-pad to center the wiimote; is that not because of the Wiimote is losing track of the sensor bar? Either way, that is what i mean.

No, it's because the motion+ lost its calibrated center. Motion+ is why you have to do that, no sensor-bar game would ever need it. The center for the sensor-bar is always findable because the bar is just a couple of glowing ultraviolet LEDs.

ASIS

I think the music is good in an atmospheric way, but there's no theme in this one that I can recall that will stick like the original overworld theme, many of LttP's themes, or OoT's overworld theme.

Comparing current Zelda game music to old Zelda game music is tricky, though. They were going for something different back then. It's like the Burton Batman movies vs. the Nolan ones. The Nolan music might be technically more elegant, it might invoke moods more subtly while still being very powerful, but the old music is just plain iconic. I think Zelda's much the same.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFvequXpMZw&feature=BFa&list=SPC5AE6E1EEA630D30&lf=list_related

I won't say more.

SaintZ

So I finished the game last Sunday and I loved it!

It is odd, at the beginning, the game does start slow (although not like TP) but by the third or fourth dungeon I couldn't stop playing and I didn't want it to end :( Seriously, the last 3rd of the game went by super fast.

The last battle was easier than I expected. I didn't know about the lightning strikes until I defeated Demise and my brother told me, boo. Oh and who didn't know about Young/Old Impa? I mean it wasn't immediately obvious but after I went to the past the first time, I knew something weird was going on.

I loved tons of stuff about the game, first, the Mogmas. Those characters are probably my favorite addition to the Zelda universe. The Kikwis were alright and so were the Parellas. I felt total indifference about the robots (with maybe the exception of Scrapper).

I didn't find Fi too annoying but yeah, she's been the worse companion so far. She's just bland, I couldn't care less about her (and that wasn't the case with Tatl, Navi or Midna).
And her ending felt so forced. It was like "See? She cared about you all this time, now feel sad about her :("

This version of Zelda was pretty awesome (not as awesome as Tetra, though) and I also loved the people of Skyloft, specially the people in the market.

I think I would rank the games like this: MM/SS, WW/OoT, LttP and TP (I haven't played PH, ST, LoZ or AoL and I played the portables a LONG time ago so I don't remember them very well). I think this game might be my favorite Zelda game or very close to MM (my favorite).

Oh! And I didn't know about the evil bug either and chose to go to Lanayru first LOL! Luckily nothing wrong happened.

Crucio

Haha. The Beamos were actually a big frustration to me in Lanaryu Mining Facility I just assumed they were unkillable at first. It took me a few tries to get that one door open with the beamos in front of it without being able to kill it.

I actually discovered their weakness by accident. I'm sure Fi couldve helped me but I rarely used her.

Its one of those few things that wasn't obvious enough like the Lightning in the last battle.

LMAO. But the Beamos's design made its weakpoints so obvious to the player.

The rage is delicious.

Would anyone mind reposting some of the recommended codes? Like text speed modifier, no black bars, etc. Thanks.

If you're playing on a homebrewed Wii, just use Accio Hacks and pick from the list.

I recommend text skipping, disabling the get treasure notification, disabling Fi's various auto warnings and fast flight. Keep everything else off for the optimum experience. (Though I'm tempted to mess around with one called
Lanaryu lives
on another play through)

If you're playing on a homebrewed Wii, just use Accio Hacks and pick from the list.

I recommend text skipping, disabling the get treasure notification, disabling Fi's various auto warnings and fast flight. Keep everything else off for the optimum experience. (Though I'm tempted to mess around with one called
Lanaryu lives
on another play through)
Oh snap, I just looked up this app and it sounds awesome. Never knew it existed. Thanks!

Does this actually work? D: I'd imagine places that aren't supposed to be
shown in the past, such as the sailors house
would glitch up.

I imagine what it does is activate the crystals all at the same time, which would still be pretty cool. I don't think they took the time to build all the geometry of the main area twice, for instance.

maharg

idspispopd
I imagine what it does is activate the crystals all at the same time, which would still be pretty cool. I don't think they took the time to build all the geometry of the main area twice, for instance.

Is there actually geometry difference? I can mostly only think of texture and enemy type/placement difference.

I just tried out some of these Wiird codes and they're amazing! Especially the text speed modifier, what a god send.

Question about the "No Notification The First Time You Collect A Bug Or Treasure" code though: how does this one work for the very first time you get a specific treasure or bug? Does it still show it the first time and never again after that? My brother is going to be playing this game soon and I'd like to be able to recommend play with these codes so it'd be nice if it didn't skip it the very first time.

CyReN

Replaying the beginning, I've been stuck at trying to land in the circle for 30 minutes..long live joysticks and controllers without motion.

edit: got it.

maharg

idspispopd
I just tried out some of these Wiird codes and they're amazing! Especially the text speed modifier, what a god send.

Question about the "No Notification The First Time You Collect A Bug Or Treasure" code though: how does this one work for the very first time you get a specific treasure or bug? Does it still show it the first time and never again after that? My brother is going to be playing this game soon and I'd like to be able to recommend play with these codes so it'd be nice if it didn't skip it the very first time.

I assume the reason it tells you again is because it doesn't record the fact that you've gotten it before in the save file, so I doubt there's any way other than just disabling it altogether (thus you wouldn't get it the first time either).

I assume the reason it tells you again is because it doesn't record the fact that you've gotten it before in the save file, so I doubt there's any way other than just disabling it altogether (thus you wouldn't get it the first time either).
Yeah I just tested it in a new save file. Oh well, worth the sacrifice.

I also just ran into a pretty amusing bug with the code that lets you always fly at boost ring speed. During the competition at the beginning of the game, when you grab the statue from the golden bird for the first time Groose will say something then chase after you. Well now that you're flying super fast he can't catch up to you so he just keeps flying and flying out into the distance until eventually you can't see him anymore. You can't do anything since him catching up to you triggers the next thing. So yeah, use this code after you complete the Wing Ceremony.

Thrakier

That's not true, without the sensor bar it became unplayable for me. I guess the game uses it for some auotmatic recalibration or whatever.

Mistle

You can't press down to calibrate item selection, so maybe that's where the "point at centre" with sensor bar comes into action. It makes sense, as if for example you press & hold B with the Wiimote pointing upwards, it doesn't create a new centre, it instead selects the top item.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
HA HA oh wow.

Thank you. One of my favourite pieces. I love how it seamlessly ends in game. Hopefully someone will be clever and edit them together.

Text modifier freezes my game. :(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
You have got to be kidding me. This has to be an act.

And you can't do anything against those beamos? Well of course you can't, you don't have a shield. (Why doesn't he have a shield anyway?) Besides, if you are fast enough, you can kill it before it fires its first beam.

He constantly keeps unequpping his shield when he hits the button to bring up potions and stuff. He ends up having no shield on the final boss and blames the game for taking it off when he realizes it for some reason. I don't know how he didn't just notice the fact that...there's no shield on his back.

It's retarded gamers like these that Nintendo think they need to implement all the hand holding...

It says a lot that someone who plays as stupidly as DSP still repeatedly mentions how Fi states the obvious. She fails at helping.

Mistle

I see videos of running around without a shield all too often... I only ever broke one, and it was at the start of the game. It's an essential combat item that makes fighting so much better, it's so dumb to just ignore it throughout the game. Probably the same people who complain about the controls and never bother to actually learn them.

And you can kill beamos without a shield, yeah.
Also I forgot all about those rocket enemies. And the big stompy ones with that needs gust jar and bombs. Makes me wish the new enemy design didn't basically stop at the third dungeon :/ it was really getting good and inventive at the third dungeon. After that we basically just got Bobolkins in different clothing.
Well... There were those bird things that needed the whip, and the underground centipede things, and the fish.. and I'm sure a few others. But my point still stands : P

Edit: man I'm bad at remembering enemy names.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Wait a minute, it's not just that he doesn't have a shield, he doesn't even try to attack the beamos! He doesn't realize the blue lines means he can attack there! He doesn't know he can hurt them!

There is no words...

And my shield didn't break once.

RagnarokX

You have got to be kidding me. This has to be an act.

And you can't do anything against those beamos? Well of course you can't, you don't have a shield. (Why doesn't he have a shield anyway?) Besides, if you are fast enough, you can kill it before it fires its first beam.

lol shield. I just run up to them and slash them. The gust bellow also makes them dizzy.

BY2K

Membero Americo
lol shield. I just run up to them and slash them. The gust bellow also makes them dizzy.

But that's what makes it worse. At that point he doesn't even know he could destroy them. He thought they were completely invincible. (Which, if you didn't played any 3D Zelda and only played the 2D ones, is true, but still.)

Mistle

I used the Gust Bellows heaps after realising it stuns pretty much every enemy. And every human has a special animation for it. Pipit's Mum's reaction is a tad weird.

But yeah, not knowing that you slash along the extremely obvious lines to kill a Beamos is the kind of stupidity that I imagine people who outright hate the motion controls battle with.

BY2K

Membero Americo
This is the kind of things I see that makes me think all the hand holding Nintendo is doing in their games is actually justified...

If only they could add an option to turn it off for people that doesn't need it. And still some people that do need it will turn it off and the whole thing starts anew.

RagnarokX

This is the kind of things I see that makes me think all the hand holding Nintendo is doing in their games is actually justified...

If only they could add an option to turn it off for people that doesn't need it. And still some people that do need it will turn it off and the whole thing starts anew.

Poor Fi kept trying to tell him what he was doing wrong.

Flying robot missile octoroks are essentially invincible without a shield anyway.

maharg

idspispopd
You can hit the missiles back with the sword? I just shield bashed them back.

Yep, you sure can. Pretty sure anything that can be hit back with the shield can also be hit back with the sword.

I got stuck at the exact same spot as he did, btw, thinking I couldn't kill the beamos towers. Because the games in this series I love the most have unkillable (or at least virtually unkillable) beamos towers. But eventually I figured it out.

What's weird to me is how he doesn't even figure out you can kill the bomb drones. They practically beg to be sliced before blowing up. In fact, in that video is the first time I ever saw one do what it was supposed to do.

BY2K

Membero Americo
DSP on Groose: "Aaaaand he's a useless character. Another useless character in a Zelda game, what a surprise."

Ohohohohohoh, you're in for a surprise, my stupid friend.

RagnarokX

I got stuck at the exact same spot as he did, btw, thinking I couldn't kill the beamos towers. Because the games in this series I love the most have unkillable (or at least virtually unkillable) beamos towers. But eventually I figured it out.
But beamos have been killable in all of the 3D games. Usually bombs or arrows, though, never sword.

maharg

idspispopd
But beamos have been killable in all of the 3D games. Usually bombs or arrows, though, never sword.

Yeah. Which is why I tried bombs first, which didn't work (and you didn't have arrows yet). Took a long time for sword to even occur to me. They remind me more of pokey in this game than beamos.

Hobbun

i think just about every zelda fan would love this. i would love it if the next game was like metroid in terms of inter connectivity and seamless transitions to one place to another with the massive scale and scope of zelda. however i know something like that is at least another 10 years away or so :/

Now to clarify, I don't mean 'seamless' where there is no loading at all from area to area. I'm referring to large and interconnected, like TP.

I don't see a reason why we can't have a large and condensed world filled with content/puzzles now, or at least with the upcoming Wii U. Not sure why it would take another 10 years. Do you mean it would take Nintendo that long to build the world because it is large and has a lot of content?

Top Bottom