• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still struggling with the combat mechanics, I think.
The controls work fine, but it's frustrating that the enemies auto block so much. Half the time, I end up flailing and find that be more effective... which makes me think I'm doing something wrong. I hope I'm doing some wrong.
Is there like a strategy I should be aware of? Like if they block high, should I strike left? Thrust? Or is the auto blocking supposed to be fun, but I just don't get it?
As is, I've still not felt like I'm having any actual sword fights yet. Otherwise the game is great. I just get flustered by the combat mechanics.
Try putting up your shield, it hides your sword motions and then rather than following your attacks, enemies will just guard in random directions. Then just swing from the opposite direction of where they're blocking (eg overhead block -> down to up slash.

You can also simply wait for enemies to draw back for an attack and shield bash, then attack. Shield bashing is such a powerful tool and the window for countering is really quite large.

Be sure to maximize your damage - when you do get a hit in, you can dispatch just about any regular enemy by doing normal swing(s) into spin attack for a knockdown and free finishing blow.

Also, remember that there's an easy way to handle most enemies in the game: parry effectively. Those annoying yellow Deku Babas that take three hits to kill take only one if you parry their strikes.

zigg

Try putting up your shield, it hides your sword motions and then rather than following your attacks, enemies will just guard in random directions.
I never noticed that! Man, I love how much intelligence is put into swordplay in this game.

TheCongressman1 said:
This is true. I went in thinking 'Best Zelda ever', and came out thinking 'Eh, it was ok.' Along the way there was a roller coaster of emotions, but that's how it ended up, sadly.
I was getting dismayed at how Twilight Princess-y it was getting at first but ended up quite positive at the very end. Along the way there were definitely "what?" points, but on the whole it's right up there with some of my favorite games.

bsb

Neo Member
Also, remember that there's an easy way to handle most enemies in the game: parry effectively. Those annoying yellow Deku Babas that take three hits to kill take only one if you parry their strikes.

Yep, you can also stun a lot of enemies with the slingshot for the same effect.

For the bobokins, one easy way to take them out is to swing vertically and then quickly swing again horizontaly (or vice versa). If they block your first swing, they probably won't switch in time to block your second swing.

Just finished the game. A little disappointed with the end but a great experience overall. The only real lasting complaints are motion controls(in certain situations) and
villain engagement. Twilight Princess has Skyward Sword beat outside of Demise.
I don't think I will care much for
Ghirahim when it's all said and done in a few years. Bring back a Zant or somebody else
please.

hemtae

Speaking as someone who went on a media blackout shortly after this released: HOLY SHIT BONUS MUSIC CD.

Now onwards to the game.

Dr.Hadji

I'm still struggling with the combat mechanics, I think.
The controls work fine, but it's frustrating that the enemies auto block so much. Half the time, I end up flailing and find that be more effective... which makes me think I'm doing something wrong. I hope I'm doing some wrong.
Is there like a strategy I should be aware of? Like if they block high, should I strike left? Thrust? Or is the auto blocking supposed to be fun, but I just don't get it?
As is, I've still not felt like I'm having any actual sword fights yet. Otherwise the game is great. I just get flustered by the combat mechanics.

I think the basics are pretty easy once you know what to look for. The enemy blocks in a certain direction and you want to move your sword to another position faster than the enemy can respond with an appropriate block but slow enough so that you won't trigger a swing. The particulars of it though are very interesting.

Mode8

Banned
If I were a resident of Skyloft, I would be horrified upon learning that there was a society living on the ground below. You KNOW they just dump all their crap over the edge. "Waste disposal" isn't even a concern for these people. They probably just drill holes from their toilets directly to the bottom of the floating island when they build new houses.

I wouldn't want to be the first person to go down there, that's for sure. "Hi, I come from the land that rains shit and garbage down on you... hey, have you guys seen a blond chick, lately"

Falcs

Banned
I don't know if this has already been covered in here, but what Wii menu update comes with Skyward Sword?

I've got some homebrew on my Wii so ever since I bought the game I haven't done the update that comes with it coz I don't know if I'll lose my homebrew (I've been out of the homebrew scene for quite some time).
I've had to play the game through uLoader so I can bypass the update. Which brings to my next question. If I install the update then play the game properly through the game channel, will my saves still work? Or will they not be available coz I created them using uLoader?

Mistle

I don't know if this has already been covered in here, but what Wii menu update comes with Skyward Sword?

I've got some homebrew on my Wii so ever since I bought the game I haven't done the update that comes with it coz I don't know if I'll lose my homebrew (I've been out of the homebrew scene for quite some time).
I've had to play the game through uLoader so I can bypass the update. Which brings to my next question. If I install the update then play the game properly through the game channel, will my saves still work? Or will they not be available coz I created them using uLoader?

I don't know the exact answer to your question, but you can use Priiloader hacks to block all disc updates, so you can play straight from the Wii menu. If you update, your saves should still work, but you'll probably lose homebrew.

guek

Banned
ok guys, I need some advice. I'm in the section right after the 3rd dungeon. Should I

deliver the love not or give it to the creepy toilet hand? Oh decisions...

Kapura said:
Worse was the fact that these bullshit little knick-knacks which added nothing to the experience were treated as rewards. I was trained by previous games to be excited when I found a chest in a dungeon, because I knew it would either contain quest-essential items or a fat rupee stack. Skyward sword has now killed that for me what with finding chests, watching the animation, hearing the music, and then see Link hold up a fucking Monster Horn. Really? Fucking really? That's supposed to be a reward? I don't FUCKING WANT IT. It's not intrinsically useful, and I can't even sell it for cash money in a reasonably easy way. Upgrades could have been great, but the huge variety of arbitrary items needed in arbitrary quantities was terrible. Easily my least favourite addition after the motion-plus controls.

In a less harsher tone I very much agree with this and in dungeons would keep thinking, "Man I sure open chests a lot." It stopped having a sense of wonder and reward after the 80th goddess plume and avoiding them would probably be easier if I wasn't always assuming it might be a new tool.

Man, some people finished this game under 40 hours, and I'm just
unlocking the location of the Triforce
at the 70 hour mark. I get drawn to those side quests and I don't even really find a lot of them endearing except for
the love letter and strangely getting the fortune teller a new crystal ball.
I fucking dusted someone's house...

AniHawk

ok guys, I need some advice. I'm in the section right after the 3rd dungeon. Should I

deliver the love not or give it to the creepy toilet hand? Oh decisions...

giving it to the toilet hand results in the more humorous ending. it's also way more disturbing. you'll get the same reward either way.

AniHawk

In a less harsher tone I very much agree with this and in dungeons would keep thinking, "Man I sure open chests a lot." It stopped having a sense of wonder and reward after the 80th goddess plume and avoiding them would probably be easier if I wasn't always assuming it might be a new tool.

Man, some people finished this game under 40 hours, and I'm just
unlocking the location of the Triforce
at the 70 hour mark. I get drawn to those side quests and I don't even really find a lot of them endearing except for
the love letter and strangely getting the fortune teller a new crystal ball.
I fucking dusted someone's house...

i beat the game at 37 hours and got every single sidequest as well as the best shield in the game. i don't get how people sink more than 50 hours into a game like this.

The other day, I literally found myself going through the game breaking glitch steps.
No backup save.
Thankfully I didn't speak twice... Phew... got through it.

guek

Banned
just got past the first swimming part.

After hearing so many people complain about it...is it wrong that I kinda like the swimming controls?

AniHawk

just got past the first swimming part.

After hearing so many people complain about it...is it wrong that I kinda like the swimming controls?

nah, the swimming controls and the segment itself was all okay. the main problem i had with it was the disconnect between surface swimming and underwater swimming.

and i thought them turning that first area into something so different just by making it underwater was great twist. the best one the faron woods guys ever did, actually.

also, i think the faron woods guys were probably mostly people who worked heavily on the ds titles. it kinda has their fingerprints all over it.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Swimming was fine once I finally got over the frustration that I couldn't use analogue stick. Still needs a bit of work, but as far as motion control swimming goes, not a bad. Far too much complaining about it me thinks.

Now fitting those keys into the doors with the 3D motion turning, those deserve more complaints.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Swimming was fine once I finally got over the frustration that I couldn't use analogue stick. Still needs a bit of work, but as far as motion control swimming goes, not a bad. Far too much complaining about it me thinks.

But you can. :S

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Ha, yeah I guess I should have worded that better. Not just stop momentum and spinning around.

Really though, I just want another Endless Ocean that expands this style of motion control and analogue for minute or quick movements.

Tenbatsu

You point the wiimote and press A to swim. If you wanna change direction fast, just let go of A and use the analog to do it. Press A again to swim. Its such a natural set up.

My game progress. I've cleared dungeon 2 and just opened the sidequest line of G
ratitude
stones. I should really play this more...it'll probably be March by the time I beat this.

It took me an embarrasing amount of time to relaise how to control skydiving Link.

Its funny, when I do play I put a good few hours in but convincing myself to play is the problem :(

I think its 4.3 and the IOS249 stub. i.e. nothing new. If you've updated the homebrew channel in a year you're fine for the former and as for the latter, depends on if you use it or not. Besides even if you lose homebrew it is trivial to get back (message board exploit exists as well as the Brawl one).

Theres always the homebrew thread should you run into anything unexpected.

i beat the game at 37 hours and got every single sidequest as well as the best shield in the game. i don't get how people sink more than 50 hours into a game like this.

I've found myself wandering around sometimes looking for the next thing to do combined with the incredibly leisurely pace I'm playing it. It's not some mystery. I'm just taking my sweet time.

Levyne

Banned
Hell yes, just got the
Hylian Shield

Man, getting it was hard, but oh so worth it.

Just did that in hero mode yesterday.

My 8th fight was the Dungeon 4 boss
Koukilos?
and I had to fight him with 1 heart. Felt so good when he went down.

Someone how during the run I took damage 4 times (8 hearts) to the dungeon 5 boss
Monsters inc monster
. That nearly ended my run.

So glad the one that's not really a boss fight
Horde
or the final boss werent brought in.

And the reward for going further than 8 fights is just
rupees or treasure
? Would've been kinda cool if going all 15 in hero mode gave you unlimited magic armor or something..though it would be a pain in the ass to get.

Levyne

Banned
I don't know, is it worth it? I probably fought some of those guys 5 or 6 times... -.-

Something just feels so right once that shield is on Link's back.

Plus I found it entertaining how quickly I could kill the first couple bosses with the better sword and just having gotten better at the game.

Sinthetic

Tadtones
were nowhere near as bad as I thought they would be, but then again I loved the
Spirit Realm
stuff.

I absolutely love Groose and how his character has evolved, too damn good. I nearly cried at the exchange between Zelda and Link...
when Link went into the Gate of Time

Talk to the thunder dragon in order to do
Boss Rush Mode
, where it's a reward.

Specifically:

win 8 fights and quit

OMG I knew it. Because the dragon mentions he will give me a special shield if I complete his boss challenge. I remember I attempt it but lost and I was like I'll come back later.

linkboy

This is probably the stupid question, but where do you get the best shield?

I think it is.

Honestly, its not that hard, you just need to plan out a strategy and practice some.

A couple of pointers.

Don't pay attention to the clock at all, focus more on your life. Remember, this is an endurance run.

Since you pick the first boss, pick on that you have some trouble with, this way you can take it at full health and it won't surprise you later.

If a boss has hearts available, take advantage of it. Some of the bosses that had hearts the first time, don't have them now.

If you use a guard potion before talking to the
thunder dragon
, the effects will carry over. This can be crucial for some battles

Attempt it before you fight
Ghirahim 3
. You don't want the game giving you that fight with low life.

Levyne

Banned
I found
Ghirahim 3
Easy actually. Just gotta be slow with the sword in the first and last phase of the fight. In the second, just shield a lot.

Now the ones I mentioned above? Ugh.
Damn you tentalus!

MisterHero

I found
Ghirahim 3
Easy actually. Just gotta be slow with the sword in the first and last phase of the fight. In the second, just shield a lot.

Now the ones I mentioned above? Ugh.
Damn you tentalus!
Ghirahim 3's really 3 phases actually (unarmed/dual swords/great sword), but yeah, he's relatively easy in the first 2 rounds. He's alright in the 3rd but realize that everytime you attempt to break his guard also opens you up

as for Tentalus (and this applies to Scaldera), while you can't use Bomb Bags/Quivers, your arrow and bomb counts will carry over. Of course, while both bosses drop the necessarry items, a low count can screw you over for a bit too.

Levyne

Banned
Ghirahim 3's really 3 phases actually (unarmed/dual swords/great sword), but yeah, he's relatively easy in the first 2 rounds. He's alright in the 3rd but realize that everytime you attempt to break his guard also opens you up

as for Tentalus (and this applies to Scaldera), while you can't use Bomb Bags/Quivers, your arrow and bomb counts will carry over. Of course, while both bosses drop the necessarry items, a low count can screw you over for a bit too.

Yeah, I mentioned he was a 3 phase fight :p.

As for the one I had trouble with, I always seem to get hit
When its tentacle snakes begin flinging at you right before finishing it off

edit: Oh maybe I see the confusion, I meant gotta be slow with the player's sword.

Andrew.

Banned
i dont care about the spoiler aspect of this....but could someone tell me what the "gift" is in the 6th dungeon...all the ones ive got so far make sense but i cant figure out what could be left to aquire.

Top Bottom