• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

daedalius

Well, I guess you'll have to wait for the telepathic interface then, because you don't seem to be able to learn how to swing your arm correctly.

I mean, really, it isn't perfect by any stretch—M+ definitely has its flaws, losing center chief among them. But if it isn't working for you to the extent you keep complaining about, there's only a broken M+, an innate inability to perform motion-control actions, or simple impatience to blame. The very same software on your disc works well enough and provided 50-60 hours of entertainment for me and others.

You should probably do yourself a favor and bail. Go play something with sticks and buttons.

Is it? You seem to be proof people can be not good at it. The people I was standing behind at E3 who couldn't fly Link's bird to save their life are proof people can be not good at it. I've been playing games like the one featuring that dog-marble in my avatar for years now, and I stepped up to the demo at E3 and soared through the bird challenge. Either the game suddenly un-broke when I stepped up, or I'm better at manipulating a Remote than the other players. Which makes more sense?

Good idea.

And yes, you are obviously a master wiimote manipulator.

As infuriatingly stubborn as zigg can be when it comes to defending outlandish control systems that aren't optimal to the task being performed... he's right. You apparently suck at motion controls. Either that, or your environment is screwing you up in some way. Bright lights in places they shouldn't be, or something. Although that shouldn't really be an issue with M+, I think, as it doesn't use the sensor bar? I dunno for sure, though.

It makes total sense when I bring my arm far out on my right side, slash to my left side, but on screen I swing vertically; or any other ridiculous combination you can think of. Obviously it means I can't use motion controls.

This doesn't happen every time, obviously, but it happens way more than it should for a $40 additional peripheral that was supposed to make this 1:1 sword controls (what a joke). I had no problems with Twilight Princess's motion controls, nor have I had issues with anything in Mario Galaxy 1&2.

This leads me to believe the tech behind this overpriced turd and associated game is in fact, garbage.

Good idea.

And yes, you are obviously a master wiimote manipulator.

As infuriatingly stubborn as zigg can be when it comes to defending outlandish control systems that aren't optimal to the task being performed... he's right. You apparently suck at motion controls. Either that, or your environment is screwing you up in some way. Bright lights in places they shouldn't be, or something. Although that shouldn't really be an issue with M+, I think, as it doesn't use the sensor bar? I dunno for sure, though.

I have personally watched a friend of mine struggle with the SIMPLEST of tasks as he played through the introduction of Skyward Sword. He couldn't jump off the statue and land in the right spot after the ceremony with Zelda. He kept missing. Even after I explained exactly how to orient and tilt the remote, he failed three more times. My roommate, who had only watched me play, and hadn't even heard my explanation, and had never played a Wii game before (besides Super Mario Galaxy and Epic Mickey, neither of which extensively use MOTION controls (but do use pointer controls)), walked in and was like "why do you keep failing" and tried it and got it the first try.

Some people are unable to grasp what seem to be the simplest of concepts, whether it's pure stubbornness (as I suspect was the case for my friend, as he went in wanting to hate the motion controls) or shock at such a huge change from what they've grown accustomed to over the years of their video gaming, uh, career.

sphinx

the piano man

I have personally watched a friend of mine struggle with the SIMPLEST of tasks as he played through the introduction of Skyward Sword. He couldn't jump off the statue and land in the right spot after the ceremony with Zelda. He kept missing. Even after I explained exactly how to orient and tilt the remote, he failed three more times. My roommate, who had only watched me play, and hadn't even heard my explanation, and had never played a Wii game before (besides Super Mario Galaxy and Epic Mickey, neither of which extensively use MOTION controls (but do use pointer controls)), walked in and was like "why do you keep failing" and tried it and got it the first try.

Some people are unable to grasp what seem to be the simplest of concepts, whether it's pure stubbornness (as I suspect was the case for my friend, as he went in wanting to hate the motion controls) or shock at such a huge change from what they've grown accustomed to over the years of their video gaming, uh, career.

I failed that part countless times, Zelda only says "tilt the wiimote" which does not accurately explain how exactly you are supposed to use the wiimote.

you have to put the wiimote in your hand as if it was links body and then do subtle movements in basically any direction to make him fly in a particular direction. Grabing the wiimote as usual, like a normal TV remote controller is bad, it is best to put it in your hand like a dart, only then will it turn into an intuitive thing to do.

neither Zelda, nor EAD, nor Miyamoto tells you anything about that. That bolded part is one of the biggest failures in the game, terrible explanation and uncommon for a nintendo game, they usually nail the control thing to perfection.

Sounds like you're having trouble with the sensor bar. Make sure that there's no interference. I had some trouble when the sun was shining as there were some reflections in the living room.

I have the window covered up, nothing between me and the tv, and I sit about 6-8 feet away. : (
Plus, I've only been playing at night.

At least flying works well, for the most part. I've noticed turning left doesn't really work all of the time for me.

Also, I love diving onto small islands from a short distance and just belly-flopping onto the ground, hahahaha!

GenoRPG

Banned
So a friend of mine has almost beaten the game and he said he really doesn't like it, saying that one of his biggest complaints is that the dungeons are very tiny that you can get through them in about 10 minutes, would you agree?

sphinx

the piano man
So a friend of mine has almost beaten the game and he said he really doesn't like it, saying that one of his biggest complaints is that the dungeons are very tiny that you can get through them in about 10 minutes, would you agree?

nonsense.

they do pale in comparison to dungeons in twilight princess but finishing them in 10 minutes? that's Laughable.

Third temple alone may take like 2 hours.

StevieP

Banned
This doesn't happen every time, obviously, but it happens way more than it should for a $40 additional peripheral that was supposed to make this 1:1 sword controls (what a joke). I had no problems with Twilight Princess's motion controls, nor have I had issues with anything in Mario Galaxy 1&2.

This leads me to believe the tech behind this overpriced turd and associated game is in fact, garbage.

The sword controls are 1:1. The only thing that doesn't work 100% of the time by design is the stab forward, and that's a timing issue.

daedalius

The sword controls are 1:1. The only thing that doesn't work 100% of the time by design is the stab forward, and that's a timing issue.

Well clearly there is something wrong with my arm, since the controls are infallible.

Why in the world would a stab forward not work 'by design'??

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I don't know what it is but I have been having problems in very specific moments, regardless of sunlight or electric devices around.

Specially while selecting an Item holding B pressed, it bumps all over the place. On the other hand, it never fails when using the bow or the beetle or the pointer based items.

There is definitely something weird going on when having to choose with the pointer between objects in the menus.

Moving the cursor on the wii main menu is flawless, though. Can it be that the game has its flaws like that?

I had a problem that sounds very much like this. Turned out that one of my Wiimotes had failed (I had no problem at all with the other one). It seems that one of the accelerometers had gone on the blink and, while that isn't directly anything to do with the M+ it does seem that the game trades accelerometer input against gyro input to smooth things out.

I'd suggest you try it with another Wiimote just in case.

Togglesworth said:

Ah, I DO have difficulty with the skydiving mechanics, but I do recognise that it is my fault for being rubbish at it - not the controls!

Xun

The stabs worked fine for me.

The controls in general probably worked well 85-90% of the time.

There's part of me which wants to see the evolution of what Skyward Sword did, and then there's part of me which just wants to return to the old ways.

Perhaps in the next game both control schemes can be implemented?

I have the hardest time trying to trigger the charge attack that requires you hold the wii mote upwards...
Yeah, that and placing the sword into a pedestal.

GenoRPG

Banned
nonsense.

they do pale in comparison to dungeons in twilight princess but finishing them in 10 minutes? that's Laughable.

Third temple alone may take like 2 hours.

Well, he did say they were very short and that he also thought the monster designs looked bad. He also made a joke that the boss you fight on the sand ship looks like something from monsters inc, and after seeing him I'd agree.

Okay, so I just beat the first temple and did a little bit of stuff afterwards.

The temple itself was okay. It was fairly closed off and much smaller than the first temple of Twilight Princess (I'm only drawing comparisons because I played it this summer and its the last console zelda and all). I like the new item with the flying beetle thingy. Seems to be fairly responsive, and it's helping me get used to the functions between the B and A button, since there's no risk of wasting ammo for my slingshot.

Oh the note of beetles and stuff, I visited Beedle yesterday and got the net to catch some bugs. It's going okay, I suppose, but it's a little frustrating that everything runs so easily.

Anyways, I think I am on the conclusion that I love the exploration/look of the game, but I can't stand the combat. Both the skulltulas and boss fight were frustrating due to Link not doing what I was inputting. I can't tell you how many times I got hit by that first skulltula trying to stab him. I eventually switched to slingshot, then back to sword after no luck. FINALLY got it to stab him. Sheesh.

I liked the first encounter with them on the ground, since it took me a moment to think through my move list before figuring out what I had to do. So nice, compared to being told twice about everything else in the game so far. Felt good.

Boss fight went okay. The G-man was interesting up until the second half when I would strike horizontally, but link would do a vertical slice, causing me to take damage. Actually had to use a fairy against him because it happened so many times. Really frustrated me and made me want to start yelling at the screen.

But, yeah, I got lots of stuff, and I figured I was right when I started to assume
striking those cubes was going to unlock those chests up in the sky islands. Got me a piece of heart, 300 rupees, and a satchel add-on!
Whee!

Sadly, I suffered Link suffered a great loss today, as we learned that Karane (the cute red-head in knight clothes) has a thing for Pipit. Even saw him drawn in her diary with a heart next to it... Poor Link, maybe he'll have better luck with the Lumpy Pumpkin owner's daughter...
WHAT DOES PIPIT HAVE THAT I DON'T?! PLEASE, SPEAK TO ME, KARANA! WHERE DID I GO WRONG?! IS IT BECAUSE I CAME INTO YOUR ROOM AT NIGHT? I'M SORRY, I'LL NEVER DISAPPOINT YOU AGAIN!
One day, you'll realize he's nothing... Then, you'll know what true love is, as I hold you in my comforting arms... <3

...Uh, anyways.
Yeah, I got the second location unlocked, and I decided to check around the places I'd already unlocked to be sure there weren't any beetle locations to access. I didn't see any, so I dove down to the surface and saved for tomorrow's dungeoning.

I haven't touched this game since December......I'm right near the end too, I wanted to go collect bugs and treasures before I beat the game but it became such a slog each time just to do something simple....

It's gnawing at me to come back and wrap it up though.

I def hope future Zelda's are much much more streamlined, I like Skyward Sword very much, but the hand holding, slow inescapable walls of text you must swallow every time is too much to easily come back to the game. You have to decide to make a time investment, one in which you'll be seeing much of the same text as before, or making the same flying journey....

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Just started playing Monster Hunter Tri and it's incredibly apparent the Zelda team was copying notes hard from Capcom.

- "..." chat bubble over NPCs that have new info
- Upgrade/loot system, but it's obviously lighter in SS
- "Stamina meter" for "dashing" (they even call them the same things!), although it's implemented much better in MH
- I can swear the "hey!" soundclip from the outfit lady is the same, or very similar to, one of the NPCs in the Skyloft bazaar

MH does have instant text though...

Honestly I wouldn't mind if Nintendo adopted more of MH's traits in the next games. Flesh out the upgrade system, the loot system, more sidequests. Basically make it an offline, story-focused, open world MH with better combat.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I knew I forgot one thing! I jotted that in my mental notepad but the page must have got torn or something.

Oh! And Fi targeting and telling you about enemies is sort of like Hunter's Notes, just without the forced pointer tedium.

Mr YuYu

Need some help!!

I have been playing for 10 hours now and i can't seem to find beedle..
I looked around on Google and his location should be visible on my map. But i can't see it...

Is it on the world map? Or is it on the skyloft map(the town)?

Thx in advance!

AniHawk

Need some help!!

I have been playing for 10 hours now and i can't seem to find beedle..
I looked around on Google and his location should be visible on my map. But i can't see it...

Is it on the world map? Or is it on the skyloft map(the town)?

Thx in advance!

his shop flies around skyloft during the daytime.

Chuckpebble

Just started playing Monster Hunter Tri and it's incredibly apparent the Zelda team was copying notes hard from Capcom.

- "..." chat bubble over NPCs that have new info
- Upgrade/loot system, but it's obviously lighter in SS
- "Stamina meter" for "dashing" (they even call them the same things!), although it's implemented much better in MH
- I can swear the "hey!" soundclip from the outfit lady is the same, or very similar to, one of the NPCs in the Skyloft bazaar

MH does have instant text though...

Honestly I wouldn't mind if Nintendo adopted more of MH's traits in the next games. Flesh out the upgrade system, the loot system, more sidequests. Basically make it an offline, story-focused, open world MH with better combat.

Yep. Love that they implemented stamina and upgrades. I kept getting the urge to aim at the items I needed in the scrap shop so I could add them to my memo pad. Probably my favorite Monster Hunter feature.

There's a moment in a dungeon later that gave me an even bigger MH vibe. I think you'll know what I'm talking about when you get to it.

I've really been slowly nursing the game. I do like it, though.

But two side quest tasks that are really killing me: (minor townsfolky spoilers) diving into the
bird's nest where the baby rattle is
, and performing
on stage with Kina
. Oh my god. I've tried both over and over and just can't quite get it.

But two side quest tasks that are really killing me: (minor townsfolky spoilers) diving into the
bird's nest where the baby rattle is

Hahaha, when I did that one I didn't even know you could
fall on top of the nest. What I did was wait until Beedle got close to it, make him stop, get on his ship, then use the wind jar from afar and finally grab it with the beetle XD

aparisi2274

I finished the last bit of Eldin Volcano last night by acquiring the
2nd part of the Song of the Hero
and I actually enjoyed that more than the tadtone crap from Faron woods. I enjoyed the semi-stealth mission that was presented to you in that area. Now onto Lanyaru...

fall on top of the nest. What I did was wait until Beedle got close to it, make him stop, get on his ship, then use the wind jar from afar and finally grab it with the beetle XD
Wait, wait, you can
actually blow it out of the nest with the gust jar
? Awesome!

zigg

Wait, wait, you can
actually blow it out of the nest with the gust jar
? Awesome!
You needed to
blow the dust off it
before you could pick it up, which is probably what SolarKnight was referring to. Can't use
the beetle
on its own.

maharg

idspispopd

Hah. That's awesome.

sphinx

the piano man
I just finished the game like 5 minutes ago,

damn... what a series, I was like choked up and with moisty eyes as the credits scrolled.

just like with all 3D Zeldas, the piece of music that plays during the credits is absolutely superb, stunning. The story, I won't spoil but I was very satisfied with how everything was handled, what it means for the future,

The presence of Demise, the real purpose and procedence of Gihrahim, the images of the temples when the credits roll, the places, damn ...this is a great game, it has shortcomings and I am not a fan of the wiimote and all that stuff, but it's hard to hate on a game when so much love has been poured into it. The last temple, Sky Keep, WOW, awesome, it felt like that movie "The Cube", it was masterfully executed, bravo nintendo.

I had moments of dissatisfaction but I can finally say I happily and joyfully welcome Skyward Sword as 5th entry in the world of 3D Zelda, 5 videogame treasures, I am so happy it worked out with this game.

Xun

It'd be nice if Nintendo allowed for both control methods (uPad and Wiimote) in the next game.

I doubt it'll happen, but it'd allow for choice.

Forkball

I beat the sixth dungeon tonight, I was really impressed. At first I thought, "oh, it's another lava dungeon" but I was absolutely wrong. I actually said "wow" when I saw the second area. I didn't like that the boss battle was basically a retread.

I heard there's a big gap between the sixth and seventh dungeon, how much time are we talking here until I beat the game?

I heard there's a big gap between the sixth and seventh dungeon, how much time are we talking here until I beat the game?

Without getting too spoiler-y, there is a major quest that has a few big parts to it. They aren't full-blown dungeons, but it will probably take you a while to complete them.

aparisi2274

So I just want to get a status check from people who beat the game, want to make sure I am ready to hit up the final dungeon...

Here is what I have:

Master Sword
Goddess Shield
All accessories
2 Red Potions
1 Red Potion +
1 Guardian Potion +
17 Hearts

So gaffers who've beaten the game, am I good to go?

So, I started to explore the second area tonight.

I love the Momamamajamagos (can't remember the name), and the music that played for Ledd and the other guy is amazing. I didn't really enjoy exploring eldin as much, since it felt much linear in comparison, but I like the digging claws. I was mostly pleased that it wasn't a typical item, and just context sensitive.

Ended up getting distracted with the cubes, and I headed back to the sky many times to go retrieve things. I'm up to holding 1400 rupees as a result, though! YES. I wonder how much it goes to in this game, since I think this is the most I've ever really been able to hold. TP might have had more, but I can't remember exact numbers.

So, it turned out that Kukiel (that little girl in skyloft) went missing, and her mom asked me to find her. I remembered her saying something about "Uncle Bats" at night, and I eventually found my way to the graveyard. The guy really creeped me out when I first saw him, and I tried to talk to him (since he wasn't attacking me), but I guess you have to attack him. Gonna help him get to be a person. I hope it makes him happy. But he already looks cool!

Opened up the temple, but I won't get to it until tomorrow. Looking forward to it, though.
Also, Beedle is expensive. : (

Sagitario

So I just want to get a status check from people who beat the game, want to make sure I am ready to hit up the final dungeon...

Here is what I have:

Master Sword
Goddess Shield
All accessories
2 Red Potions
1 Red Potion +
1 Guardian Potion +
17 Hearts

So gaffers who've beaten the game, am I good to go?

You have more than enough. Much more.
If you're good at parry/shield bash, you won't even need the basic red potion.

aparisi2274

You have more than enough. Much more.
If you're good at parry/shield bash, you won't even need the basic red potion.

I'm decent with Shield bash...

So I assume, that during the final boss, I'll just shield bash him and then sword swipe the crap out of him...

sphinx

the piano man
regarding shield-bashing, later on in the game:

I would strongly recommend to try to get the hylian Shield from the Thunder Dragon, the final boss is hard and if your shield gets broken, you are done for.

Xun

regarding shiled-bashing, later on in the game:

I would strongly recommend to try to get the hylian Shield from the Thunder Dragon, the final boss is hard and if your shield gets broken, you are done for.
It's definitely worth getting.

zigg

regarding shiled-bashing, later on in the game:

Mine broke in the last phase. I still made it thanks to my red potions and lots of hopping around from side-to-side.

Shiggy

You can easily beat the game without ever using the shield. I actually don't even know how shield-bashing works.
The final boss is just simply a bit of waggling a few times, jumping back when he starts to attack. In the second phase you only need to send a few lightnings towards him and he's done. The battle was over pretty quick.

Xun

You can easily beat the game without ever using the shield. I actually don't even know how shield-bashing works.
The final boss is just simply a bit of waggling a few times, jumping back when he starts to attack. In the second phase you only need to send a few lightnings towards him and he's done. The battle was over pretty quick.
Same for me, only I found it harder due to how many hours I was playing the game at that point.

I literally played the game all day.

aparisi2274

Yeah I am pretty sure I would not be able to get through 8 consecutive
boss fights without using potions and what not to get the Hylian shield

Also, if you keep the
goddess shield
and go into the final boss with a Guardian Potion + and the potion medal, you're pretty much invincible for 6 minutes.

sphinx

the piano man
Yeah I am pretty sure I would not be able to get through 8 consecutive
boss fights without using potions and what not to get the Hylian shield

Also, if you keep the
goddess shield
and go into the final boss with a Guardian Potion + and the potion medal, you're pretty much invincible for 6 minutes.

I also thought it would be impossible but somehow, it was much easier than expected.

There are lots of hearts lying around, memorizing patterns is easy as well.

your potion setup sounds like a plan though.

aparisi2274

I also thought it would be impossible but somehow, it was much easier than expected.

There are lots of hearts lying around, memorizing patterns is easy as well.

your potion setup sounds like a plan though.

A few pages back someone had said they beat the game using a Guardian Potion + with a potion medal, and that made them invincible for 6 minutes....

Man, I'm really loving this game. I've seen so many people saying negative things about it, but I'm hoping they're just crazy, because that means there's a good chance things head downhill later.

Anyways, I finished up the second dungeon-
I'm pretty disappointed with how short these dungeons have been. I don't mind the change of pace of not having multiple levels, but it just feels weird blowing through these places. I wasn't wild about fighting the lizards, since I'm still having issues with the attacks doing what I want. If I swing wildly, that works pretty good though, haha.

The boss fight was really fun. I felt incredibly dumb because I got down to like two hearts, and I had hurt him about 4/5 of his health before I found out that there was a plateau at the top with health... Yeah, I should look more closely at things when stuff is going down.

Friggin' Zelda. I finally catch up to you, and you don't even bother to tell me what the heck you're up to! I thought we were closer than that! GEEZ!
The person (still not sure if it's a guy or gal) was pretty scary, though. That glare... D :

Helped the cute, brown haired girl on skyloft with her bird. Turned out it was sick, and I had to get it some medicine, but I got a free bottle from it! YES.
KARANE I STILL LOVE YOU, COME BACK! SHE DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING TO ME!

Started to investigate the third area, and it's been pretty cool. The little robot guys there are too cute to be robots. And the ones with the claws that are mining are so AWESOME. I want to help them dig with my claw things and be friends.
I'm hoping for some really cool puzzles in the temple with the time crystals.

The desert itself is kind of scary. Lots of electric things, hermit crab death wheels, and birds that spit giant rocks. AUGH! So much scary stuff.

I also noticed a pinwheel in the desert yesterday that I couldn't pick up, and it looks suspiciously like it would fit into a post on skyloft! Then, today, I found some weird glowy circle thing that reminds me of the Fun Fun Island guy. I'm assuming these are for later, but I guess I'll find out eventually!

I have tomorrow off, and I'm scared I'm going to completely ignore my apartment needing cleaning and just end up playing all day...

Top Bottom