• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Shiggy

Haha, yeah, just encountered that one yesterday. That was the Fire Sanctuary I believe.
There were five statues, all of which had a different # of wings. Whereas in past Zeldas you would have had to survey the room and figure out what to do on your own, here there was a sign right there that basically said, "light up the statues in order from least wings to most wings."
Really? What's the point of a puzzle that you're told how to solve?

lol
I didn't even think it was meant to be a puzzle when I did that.

When it comes to gameplay/level design elements I agree with you. Not ever dungeon/sidequest/etc is going to be amazing in every game.

But I really wish they'd listen more re. UI design stuff. To me that's where Zelda has just gotten worse and worse. And I really really wish they'd stop trying to stretch the games out to longer and longer times with roughly the same (or less) actual content. I start to lose interest in pretty much any game after about 40 hours or so, and I think Zelda makes a very bad 'long rpg' kind of game anyways.

What didn't you like about the UI?
And while Skyward Sword barely last longer than 40 hours, that's still way too much if you cannot present anything new. Super Mario Galaxy always brought up new things, whereas Skyward Sword got kinda boring when you first entered Lanayru Desert.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
When it comes to gameplay/level design elements I agree with you. Not ever dungeon/sidequest/etc is going to be amazing in every game.

But I really wish they'd listen more re. UI design stuff. To me that's where Zelda has just gotten worse and worse. And I really really wish they'd stop trying to stretch the games out to longer and longer times with roughly the same (or less) actual content. I start to lose interest in pretty much any game after about 40 hours or so, and I think Zelda makes a very bad 'long rpg' kind of game anyways.

Eh? UI is the one part of SS where they very clearly listened to the hardcore crowd. "Pro" or whatever is a definite step up from TP, and I liked the real-time item selection that was second nature once you built muscle memory for specific items.

maharg

idspispopd
Eh? UI is the one part of SS where they very clearly listened to the hardcore crowd. "Pro" or whatever is a definite step up from TP, and I liked the real-time item selection that was second nature once you built muscle memory for specific items.

*sigh* UI does not extend only to gameplay mechanics. It also includes things like buying shit at a store or talking to people, hint systems and teaching segments. In those areas, this series just keeps getting worse and worse.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I would say that falls under interaction design. Perhaps I too strongly associate UI with HUD.

Sagitario

I gotta say, console Zelda games never disappoint in their ending fights. Always appropriately epic.

Ocarina: (GANON)
Majora: (The tree)
Wind Waker: (Stabby mcstabby)
Twilight Princess: (Multi-phase Ganon)
Skyward:
(One on one duels with Gha and Demise)

I love the dialogue for the end boss as well. Well-written stuff on par with the best of the series.

Yep. If there is something the Zelda team nails, it's the ending battles/sequences.

Shiggy

Yep. If there is something the Zelda team nails, it's the ending battles/sequences.

The final battle felt pretty cheap, didn't it? Or did people just like it because the game was finally over after that one. That was my feeling at least (but well, then some awful & boring cutscenes followed again).

*sigh* UI does not extend only to gameplay mechanics. It also includes things like buying shit at a store or talking to people, hint systems and teaching segments. In those areas, this series just keeps getting worse and worse.

Those things were awful.

Anth0ny

The final battle felt pretty cheap, didn't it? Or did people just like it because the game was finally over after that one. That was my feeling at least (but well, then some awful & boring cutscenes followed again).

I agree. Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword's final bosses were kinda disappointing, especially compared to OOT/MM/WW. Those finales were incredible.

AniHawk

if they really wanted to up the ante in the final boss fight,
you should have automatically fought demise after ghirahim. if you died, you would be given the option to fight demise again, but if you quite the game, you would start back before the ghirahim fight

i'm fine with the way it ended though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I agree. Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword's final bosses were kinda disappointing, especially compared to OOT/MM/WW. Those finales were incredible.

What? TP's ending is easily in the top 3 of the series.

jd6qt.jpg

iEGNH0GlFWF2W.gif

z496e0.jpg

z8c4jr.jpg

z9wwtv.jpg

z126wmn.jpg

z14w606.jpg

z16swhn.jpg

z17vw14.jpg

z18n35c.jpg

z19p649.jpg

z20q6ko.jpg

z21l7xh.jpg

z24v740.jpg

Dr.Hadji

What?! Majora is THE WORST final boss is Zelda history. Easily. I know everyone likes to love on the the Tree on the Windows hill but those 4 mask challenges inside it weren't anything special (some being kind of iffy). Majora is the definition of disappointing end boss.

Best Zelda ending sequence is Spirit Tracks. Train Star Mode then Ben-Hur on trains then Co-op vs Co-op battle then Boar battle then awesome musical jam session then duel screen WW Zelda light arrow trick.

abasm

What?! Majora is THE WORST final boss is Zelda history. Easily. I know everyone likes to love on the the Tree on the Windows hill but those 4 mask challenges inside it weren't anything special (some being kind of iffy). Majora is the definition of disappointing end boss.

Best Zelda ending sequence is Spirit Tracks. Train Star Mode then Ben-Hur on trains then Co-op vs Co-op battle then Boar battle then awesome musical jam session then duel screen WW Zelda light arrow trick.

I think he's referring to Fierce Deity Link...which is a really cool one-off reward for players who played the game in full. SURE, it made the final boss trivial, but it was really, really cool.

That, and while Majora might not have been an especially "epic" boss fight, he was probably the most despicable Zelda villain. Throughout all of Majora's Mask, you have to watch this microcosm you've fallen into unravel over and over again. Try as you might to help those around you, nothing you ever do is permanent, and it's all ultimately meaningless in the face of imminent apocalypse. In short, you're constantly subjected to Majora's evil, whereas most Zelda games only demonstrate the villain's evil in a very limited capacity.

Mistle

I think he's referring to Fierce Deity Link...which is a really cool one-off reward for players who played the game in full. SURE, it made the final boss trivial, but it was really, really cool.

That, and while Majora might not have been an especially "epic" boss fight, he was probably the most despicable Zelda villain. Throughout all of Majora's Mask, you have to watch this microcosm you've fallen into unravel over and over again. Try as you might to help those around you, nothing you ever do is permanent, and it's all ultimately meaningless in the face of imminent apocalypse. In short, you're constantly subjected to Majora's evil, whereas most Zelda games only demonstrate the villain's evil in a very limited capacity.
I want another Zelda game where the villian is just nuts, and constantly displaying why you should fear him/her

Anth0ny

But I actually cared about beating Majora's Mask.

The games didn't do a good job of making me want to beat Ganon in TP (since they do the switcheroo with Zant halfway through) and Ghirahim/his master. If I have no inspiration, beating the final boss doesn't feel very rewarding.

I will admit that Ganon's transformations in TP looked cool, and those Dolphin shots up above are pretty... but meh.

jd6qt.jpg

lolwtf

Yeah, it was awesome. I felt the horse part was amazing in idea, but kinda annoying in execution though. I guess I just didn't like the horse battling in TP :/

Anyways, I just did the tadstone quest, and if that's the worst of the three, then I can't wait for the other two,my only complain is that they didn't allow you to dowse for them faster. It's almost midnight and I'm too tired to go on though D:

sphinx

the piano man
On the topic of how I'd rate SS versus TP, I really can't make up my mind.

I remember TP being a HUGE let down because it didn't have (enough of) memorable sidequests, treasures, hidden stuff. The world, as big as it was, was gone to waste. Everything gave you rupees as a reward, which were useless because there was barely anything worth buying, it really pissed me off.

several months later, I began a 2nd playthrough and it began to grow on me. I started to enjoy it for what it was: a Dungeon/temple Zelda, it was until then that I thought " damn, there is some epic stuff happening here", temples 3 and onward where terrific. Today I keep the good in TP and forget the bad things and I remember it fondly.

SS... I don't know, I don't have this feeling of being let down like wiuth TP, but there is stuff that sounds like fun but executing it is everything but that. I don't like:

.- Temples 1 (and a bit temple 2)
(short, unmemorable, the first one felt like a lead-up to something bigger, just with the bigger thing never appearing)

.-
Imprisoned battles (they are fun but they are fucking SLOW, this is inexcusable in 2012, I felt I was playing a battle ship in skies of arcadia, when the beast would grab the ledge with its hand... jesus christ, I'd pull my hair)

.- Bad incorporation of elements
(yeah, we have awesome minecart stuff but we don't know how to make it fit in the quest so there, just do it and don't expect reward, just have fun.)

.- Constant wiimote recentring, (just proves how primitive this tech is)

but there are a TON of things I like a lot, far better than TP, the minigames are great (FunFun thing, I am addicted, I get the rings all the time but landing on THAT one 50 rupee spot never gets old). Bird flying is far, far less annoying than Boat and Train and is on Par with horse, the distances are kept realistic (unlike wind waker). What people considered "padding, filler, stupid backtracking" was fun to me, I am sorry for those who hated them.

so today I still like TP more than SS but if we align the game releases and compare how I felt 2 months after their releases, SS wins by some margin.

/rant

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If only the music during some of those parts was better. I liked TP OST a lot, but the music during the Dark Beast and Dark Lord phases was really annoying and disappointing.

I loved the music during Dark Beast, easily one of the most memorable tracks for me.

The games didn't do a good job of making me want to beat Ganon in TP (since they do the switcheroo with Zant halfway through) and Ghirahim/his master. If I have no inspiration, beating the final boss doesn't feel very rewarding.

I don't know how anyone could watch Ganon crush Midna's helmet and not want to skewer the bastard.

spekkeh

Banned
More interesting than new gushing.

I wish I could join in talking about TP. But even though I bought it on launch and completed it, I hardly have any recollection of that game. I was a Zelda fanboy till then but that game just left me so cold (except for Midna). It's also the first Zelda game I sold even though I still had the console.

Dr.Hadji

I can see that. But I wouldn't say the game did a good job of making you want to defeat Majora's Mask, it did a good job of making you want to stop the moon from crashing into Clocktown and Termina. In fact, the only devious act performed by Majora is the moon summon. Its a good one mind you (that clock on the bottom of the screen constantly reminding you of the threat is great) but the transfer of that desire to stop evil to the entity Major's Mask is about as abrupt as the Ganon reveal in TP. "Look guys this whole time you thought you had to stop the moon, surprise you have to stop me the really end it all".

.- Bad incorporation of elements
(yeah, we have awesome minecart stuff but we don't know how to make it fit in the quest so there, just do it and don't expect reward, just have fun.)

This stuff baffles me. If you had fun why does the reason for doing so matter so much? Its like complaining about your motivation in an action game like Ninja Gaiden or DMC. "DMC has a poor story so fighting all these guys awesomely is irksome".

spekkeh

Banned
I loved Ghirahim though with his zaniness and gender bending he's like the evil version of Tingle. And he keeps pestering you all the time, so I really wanted to beat him. I get that he didn't pose a constant threat of taking over the world himself like the other Zelda nemeses, but he's still one of my favorite Zelda bosses ever. I also don't get people's hate over Demise 'suddenly appearing', I think the story was building up to that quite well.

spekkeh

Banned
This stuff baffles me. If you had fun why does the reason for doing so matter so much? Its like complaining about your motivation in an action game like Ninja Gaiden or DMC. "DMC has a poor story so fighting all these guys awesomely is irksome".

Although I didn't mind the minecarts, I can sort of see where he's coming from. Zelda is about exploring and saving a world. To care for the things you discover and save, the world has to be believable, and the story must give you incentive to do so. This applies much less to DMC and Ninja Gaiden, which are more about defeating ninjas and racking up combos, and the world and story are just backdrops. If you throw in stuff that feels disconnected to the world, or there's no logical explanation within the confounds of that world why it's there, the player may like that segment, but will ultimately care less for the world as it's less believable.

Dr.Hadji

Although I didn't mind the minecarts, I can sort of see where he's coming from. Zelda is about exploring and saving a world. To care for the things you discover and save, the world has to be believable, and the story must give you incentive to do so. This applies much less to DMC and Ninja Gaiden, which are more about defeating ninjas and racking up combos, and the world and story are just backdrops. If you throw in stuff that feels disconnected to the world, or there's no logical explanation within the confounds of that world why it's there, the player may like that segment, but will ultimately care less for the world as it's less believable.

True true, I guess I'm just trying to understand the bigger picture as to why some people feel not getting something for some action is unnatural. Its a common plot device is it not? Group a travelers head off some thing treasure only to find nothing but a clue to the next place where it could be. You're chasing after the evil whoever, you know hes in town and you get there just in time to see him fleeing the scene. You thought the ship was in the shipyard, its not so that means its can only be........*cue dramatic music* with the pirates! I just don't see a problem with a momentary set back or failure.

maharg

idspispopd
I can see that. But I wouldn't say the game did a good job of making you want to defeat Majora's Mask, it did a good job of making you want to stop the moon from crashing into Clocktown and Termina. In fact, the only devious act performed by Majora is the moon summon. Its a good one mind you (that clock on the bottom of the screen constantly reminding you of the threat is great) but the transfer of that desire to stop evil to the entity Major's Mask is about as abrupt as the Ganon reveal in TP. "Look guys this whole time you thought you had to stop the moon, surprise you have to stop me the really end it all"..

Buh? It's clear from pretty much the very start that it's Majora's Mask doing it.

Anth0ny

I can see that. But I wouldn't say the game did a good job of making you want to defeat Majora's Mask, it did a good job of making you want to stop the moon from crashing into Clocktown and Termina. In fact, the only devious act performed by Majora is the moon summon. Its a good one mind you (that clock on the bottom of the screen constantly reminding you of the threat is great) but the transfer of that desire to stop evil to the entity Major's Mask is about as abrupt as the Ganon reveal in TP. "Look guys this whole time you thought you had to stop the moon, surprise you have to stop me the really end it all".

uh... how about when he knocks you off your horse and steals all your equipment about 2 minutes into the game? And turns you into a Deku Scrub?!? Not to mention all the shit he puts everyone in Termina through, that you really connect with through all the side quests.

Majora's Mask is as dastardly as they come.

ASIS

More interesting than new gushing.

I wish I could join in talking about TP. But even though I bought it on launch and completed it, I hardly have any recollection of that game. I was a Zelda fanboy till then but that game just left me so cold (except for Midna). It's also the first Zelda game I sold even though I still had the console.

lol well when you put it that way.. I suppose, but I was expecting more about discussion than anything else really (like the spoilers thread).

daedalius

So just started playing and made it through the forest temple (lol fire temple next, what a surprise).

Man, I really could do without any of the motion control. Fighting the demon dude was a pain in the ass due to me swinging my wiimote one way and link swinging a completely different way.

Also, that bug that you fly around... ugh. I love flying by angling the wiimote, really I do.

This shit is really dragging down the experience for me. I wasn't a fan of the waggle in TP, but I at least enjoyed the implementation of the bow and slingshot, etc... the slingshot aiming in SS seems weaker somehow even with this mandatory $40 wiimote.

Xun

So just started playing and made it through the forest temple (lol fire temple next, what a surprise).

Man, I really could do without any of the motion control. Fighting the demon dude was a pain in the ass due to me swinging my wiimote one way and link swinging a completely different way.

Also, that bug that you fly around... ugh. I love flying by angling the wiimote, really I do.

This shit is really dragging down the experience for me. I wasn't a fan of the waggle in TP, but I at least enjoyed the implementation of the bow and slingshot, etc... the slingshot aiming in SS seems weaker somehow even with this mandatory $40 wiimote.
It'll click eventually I'm sure.

spekkeh

Banned
Yeah it clicked for me too later on, although I got nowhere near the 99% some people were claiming, more like 70-80% correct swings (this became especially apparent in the Deku Babas, because of which I mostly just ran past them). However I still think it can be mimicked with a controller pretty easily. If you can't run and swipe at the same time you may just as well hold down a button to swing and then use your thumb stick to move the sword around. Most of the battles were of the 'Simon Says' variety too, which is pretty far removed from epic sword battles, so overall I'm left pretty indifferent on where they go next concerning the motion controls.

daedalius

Yeah it clicked for me too later on, although I got nowhere near the 99% some people were claiming, more like 70-80% correct swings (this became especially apparent in the Deku Babas, because of which I mostly just ran past them). However I still think it can be mimicked with a controller pretty easily. If you can't run and swipe at the same time you may just as well hold down a button to swing and then use your thumb stick to move the sword around. Most of the battles were of the 'Simon Says' variety too, which is pretty far removed from epic sword battles, so overall I'm left pretty indifferent on where they go next concerning the motion controls.

This game replaced epic split second dodging/rolling with attempting to swing at the section of an enemy not covered by a shield or weapon. They get into some pretty ridiculous arm gestures as well...

When I was going through the fire temple I wasn't even trying anymore, I was just waving my arm around and the big serpent guys and eventually I'd get through their defense and kill them. It still hasn't clicked, nor do I think it will.

Drakken

I want another Zelda game where the villian is just nuts, and constantly displaying why you should fear him/her

This.
It was impossible to take
Ghirahim
seriously.
Majora was so memorable in part because he was evil, through and through, and legitimately creepy. Really dark for a Zelda game. Ghirahim was
just over-the-top flamboyant silly. And then you only see the real version of Demise at the end, so as cool-looking as he was, you don't really care a whole lot about him.

spekkeh

Banned
This game replaced epic split second dodging/rolling with attempting to swing at the section of an enemy not covered by a shield or weapon. They get into some pretty ridiculous arm gestures as well...

When I was going through the fire temple I wasn't even trying anymore, I was just waving my arm around and the big serpent guys and eventually I'd get through their defense and kill them. It still hasn't clicked, nor do I think it will.

Fair point. I stopped Z-targeting the Bokoblins a couple of hours in so you can just whack em without having to do the actual swordfight minigame, I guess preferring playing this way is a quite clear indictment of the gameplay mechanic as well.

sphinx

the piano man
quick question to those who have finished the game:

where or when exactly is a point of no return leading to the final battle? I have the hero song and see the butterflies in Skyloft which will likely send me to a silent realm.

Is that the entrance to the "final temple" or will I get back to normal and be able to collect stuff?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
quick question to those who have finished the game:

where or when exactly is a point of no return leading to the final battle? I have the hero song and see the butterflies in Skyloft which will likely send me to a silent realm.

Is that the entrance to the "final temple" or will I get back to normal and be able to collect stuff?

No, it's a normal Silent Realm, afterwards you return to Skyloft. Then you can go to the final dungeon, then I think it's the final miniboss, then you can return to Skyloft if you need, then it's the final boss.

Okay, so I finally started playing this two nights ago. These are my impressions up until the first temple.

So, Nintendo didn't get off to a great start with this. Not only did I have to sit through two mandatory updates, but I also had to watch that lame, three minute, unskippable movie of "this is the wii motion plus, and we can tell you're too dumb to read printed instructions, so here it is again." Really didn't help set the tone for me. : |

The game already showing some great looking character animation, and the part with the loftwing spitting Zelda's letter on Link made me laugh. I really like
Groose
so far. He's like the Gaston of the Zelda universe, haha. Not to mention the guy has some really nice work put into his cutscene stuff. I'm glad more things are looking closer to Midna levels of work than what we got for most people in TP.

First thing I wanted to do in my room was look around in first person, but I think I will be avoiding using that as much as possible. I can't believe how terribly janky the first person stuff is with +. I'm glad you can at least recenter it, but it's flustering to have the camera start running away from you every moment it gets when you try to look at anything. I'll just be content with observing from a normal distance.

When they prompted you to give responses in the course of dialogue, I had been using the nunchuck to select, but I thought "you know what, let's just try using the + stuff for once" but the moment I selected the choice on the right it jumped back to the left somehow and my pressing the button was too quick to stop it. Freaking motion plus, what the heck? Guess I'll just use nunchuck and save my frustration...
(if you can't tell by now, I don't like the controls much in this game)

I really like the look and feel of Skyloft, though. At least, when I'm closer to things. The things far off start looking like vaseline was wiped over parts of my screen, but the colors are still nice so... okay? I like that there are bugs, flowers, and stuff littering the world, as it feels more natural opposed to TP's "yeah, there are two of this bug in existence." Also, seeing the Sky Knights flying overhead is a wonderful touch. Not really anything great, but I thought it was nice. The loftwings are so amazing too. I still love their design, and they are the best thing out of the Zelda series since Midna. : )

Running is a very welcome change. I immediately missed rolling and lamented that it was much more difficult to do than just tapping A, but I've adjusted to running now. Was disappointed to find the stamina meter tied to climbing, but whatever. I'm okay with the carrying as it makes sense, but climbing uses both arms and legs, so I would think you could just hang on to vines or whatever and catch a breath. GUESS NOT.

I will say, I know the functionality isn't terribly different from past games, but having every item tied to B and then having to press A to use it is driving me crazy. I keep pressing B to want to use it, and I just remove it. It's going to take some serious getting used to, I can tell...

Anyways, when I finally got around to going to the surface, I still wasn't feeling this game. I decided to go ahead and call it quits for my first night, hoping I would change my opinion of the game thus far.

When I started up my second play, I went ahead and continued onwards for a while to where I finished the first encounter with
the Kikiwi
. I liked him, but was still getting bored of what I was doing chasing him around. Then, I got my second piece of amber relic, and I remembered the upgrade/weapons guy could upgrade my shield when I got two of those (was missing them). So, I decided to call it quits on the surface and return to skyloft, and I'm so glad I did.

So, I promptly returned to skyloft, upgraded my shield, and thought "why don't I see what else is out there for me to fly to?" OH MAN, FLYING IS SO MUCH FUN, I ALMOST WISH THIS WAS THE ENTIRE GAME. The sense of momentum is perfect, and tilting downward for your loftwing to tuck his wings in and just book it is fantastic. This game is already in my good graces because of just how much fun I had flying around to the various islands and just messing around. Granted, I couldn't really do much of anything because I'm so early in the game, but I didn't let that stop me from having a giant grin on my face the whole time.
I can already tell I'll be wasting tons of time just flying around.

Found the
Lumpy Pumpkin and... kinda broke the chandelier. Hey, it was the first piece of heart I spotted in the game, I'm sorry mister owner!
Kina is cute, though. And that red head from outside the second story of the Knight School. Forget Zelda, Link, you need to get their numbers instead! er... I mean, yeah, working! I loved the first job since it involved flying, and I hope more of them do too.
Probably not the best point to mention it, but the pumpkins here reminded me, I love the touch of stabbing some things and they stay on your sword. Cracked me up the first time it happened.

But, yeah, went back down to the surface, and I found out I like the surface now too. That opening part was really bleh, but when it opened up and I could just explore, it was an entirely new experience. I was like a kid just going "oh, what's that over there?" "I wonder if I can get to that?" "what's around this corn- OH GEEZ!" Just had a blast exploring and collecting stuff.

Just unlocked the first temple, and really looking forward to what happens next.
I don't know that I'd say my opinion did a 180, but it has certainly changed from the first night I played.

Not to end on a negative note, but my least favorite thing so far has been how they treat me like an idiot. The amount of handholding for this title feels much more than any previous Zelda game, and it's pretty disappointing. I'm hoping it clears up soon, and it is just them trying to get new people to understand how things work, but come on... I hate it when I'm told something and
Fi immediately
tells it to me again.

daedalius

I'm glad you are enjoying the game more, but I made it to Lanryu Desert last night, and man, parts of that are pure misery imo.

More using the janky flying bug, bobokins with electric shock batons, birds that like to drop shit on your head while you're flying the janky bug, swings are still atrocious. The $40 additional pricetag to even play this is really rubbing me the wrong way.

I'm still enjoying the areas and the visuals, but I'm still not clicking with the gameplay at all; I wish I could just play with the GC controller.

Shiggy

When they prompted you to give responses in the course of dialogue, I had been using the nunchuck to select, but I thought "you know what, let's just try using the + stuff for once" but the moment I selected the choice on the right it jumped back to the left somehow and my pressing the button was too quick to stop it. Freaking motion plus, what the heck? Guess I'll just use nunchuck and save my frustration...
(if you can't tell by now, I don't like the controls much in this game)

Sounds like you're having trouble with the sensor bar. Make sure that there's no interference. I had some trouble when the sun was shining as there were some reflections in the living room.

zigg

More using the janky flying bug, bobokins with electric shock batons, birds that like to drop shit on your head while you're flying the janky bug, swings are still atrocious. The $40 additional pricetag to even play this is really rubbing me the wrong way.
Every single complaint you list above was certifiably Not A Problem for me. (I guess I skirted the M+ issue by already owning some because I enjoy and am good at motion gaming, but I did also buy the bundle with the gold-colored Remote Plus, so...)

The Bokobs' electric swords were put in specifically to make it so you can't waggle your way through fights. If you're getting zapped a lot, you're doing it wrong, basically. There's no two ways about it. I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like you're just not slowing down to figure out what you're doing wrong.

sphinx

the piano man
Sounds like you're having trouble with the sensor bar. Make sure that there's no interference. I had some trouble when the sun was shining as there were some reflections in the living room.

I don't know what it is but I have been having problems in very specific moments, regardless of sunlight or electric devices around.

Specially while selecting an Item holding B pressed, it bumps all over the place. On the other hand, it never fails when using the bow or the beetle or the pointer based items.

There is definitely something weird going on when having to choose with the pointer between objects in the menus.

Moving the cursor on the wii main menu is flawless, though. Can it be that the game has its flaws like that?

Just finished the game today. I didn't do any sidequests to speak of and probably had the absolute bare-minimum gear outside of the low-hanging fruit.

What an absolutely incredible package this game was. As a lover of programming, game design, music, art, animation, adventure, story and more...this game had it all in spades. Everything about this game sang to me.

I have that feeling I had when I finished RE4...I don't know when I'll play another game this rich.

daedalius

Every single complaint you list above was certifiably Not A Problem for me. (I guess I skirted the M+ issue by already owning some because I enjoy and am good at motion gaming, but I did also buy the bundle with the gold-colored Remote Plus, so...)

The Bokobs' electric swords were put in specifically to make it so you can't waggle your way through fights. If you're getting zapped a lot, you're doing it wrong, basically. There's no two ways about it. I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like you're just not slowing down to figure out what you're doing wrong.

I know perfectly well what is going wrong: my sword not swinging the way I want it to swing.

Other comment is just funny.

Shiggy

I don't know what it is but I have been having problems in very specific moments, regardless of sunlight or electric devices around.

Specially while selecting an Item holding B pressed, it bumps all over the place. On the other hand, it never fails when using the bow or the beetle or the pointer based items.

There is definitely something weird going on when having to choose with the pointer between objects in the menus.

Moving the cursor on the wii main menu is flawless, though. Can it be that the game has its flaws like that?

You're not using the sensor bar cursor in Skyward Sword. Instead, the cursor in SS is based on Motion+ movements. I had the experience that you need larger movements for selecting options in SS.

What you're describing sounds as if the you're Wii Remote is not centered towards the TV. It's either because you're batteries are low OR because you're getting some interference from light sources. I had exactly the same issues, but could not determine why. So if it doesn't get better, you could try to put some paper in front of the Wii Remote sensor bar receivers. That will prevent M+ from going completely over the board. However, the technology still sucks - there'll be motion drift. As the Wii Remote can no longer find the sensor bar, you need to re-center manually every few minutes.

I know, the technology is not that great if you're not in a room without any light sources.

Emitan

I had the exact same issues.

sphinx

the piano man
You're not using the sensor bar cursor in Skyward Sword. Instead, the cursor in SS is based on Motion+ movements. I had the experience that you need larger movements for selecting options in SS.

What you're describing sounds as if the you're Wii Remote is not centered towards the TV. It's either because you're batteries are low OR because you're getting some interference from light sources. I had exactly the same issues, but could not determine why. So if it doesn't get better, you could try to put some paper in front of the Wii Remote sensor bar receivers. That will prevent M+ from going completely over the board. However, the technology still sucks - there'll be motion drift. As the Wii Remote can no longer find the sensor bar, you need to re-center manually every few minutes.

I know, the technology is not that great if you're not in a room without any light sources.

I am not sure if I Follow.. my Wiimote is centered, I play exactly in front of the TV with nothing standing between the wiimote, the sensor bar and the TV, no sunlight (I play at night only), and barely any light that could cause a problem. Batteries are Full and all. The only thing I could try is to hold B on the item selection menu and experiment with wider or smaller movements but it's basically the only time it really fails. Sword swinging works, for the most part, recentering is due to the very primite technology, selection stuff in Menus is flawless outside of this game. Not once did it happen while grabing stars in Mario Galaxy, for example...

I had the exact same issues.

I believe it's just a minor issue with this particular game and not our set-ups having sunlight or anything else.

zigg

I know perfectly well what is going wrong: my sword not swinging the way I want it to swing.
Well, I guess you'll have to wait for the telepathic interface then, because you don't seem to be able to learn how to swing your arm correctly.

I mean, really, it isn't perfect by any stretch—M+ definitely has its flaws, losing center chief among them. But if it isn't working for you to the extent you keep complaining about, there's only a broken M+, an innate inability to perform motion-control actions, or simple impatience to blame. The very same software on your disc works well enough and provided 50-60 hours of entertainment for me and others.

You should probably do yourself a favor and bail. Go play something with sticks and buttons.

Other comment is just funny.
Is it? You seem to be proof people can be not good at it. The people I was standing behind at E3 who couldn't fly Link's bird to save their life are proof people can be not good at it. I've been playing games like the one featuring that dog-marble in my avatar for years now, and I stepped up to the demo at E3 and soared through the bird challenge. Either the game suddenly un-broke when I stepped up, or I'm better at manipulating a Remote than the other players. Which makes more sense?

Top Bottom