• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

sphinx

the piano man
Don't fret,

all temples from Nr. 3 onward are great, both in lenght and concept. Once you are done with 2, you will never go back to encountering piss poor short temples.

in fact I think the game as a whole truly takes off from the point you are right know up intul the end. If are liking what you have gotten so far, then you are gonna love everything the game will offer you.

Don't fret,

all temples from Nr. 3 onward are great, both in lenght and concept. Once you are done with 2, you will never go back to encountering piss poor short temples.

in fact I think the game as a whole truly takes off from the point you are right know up intul the end. If are liking what you have gotten so far, then you are gonna love everything the game will offer you.
Except for all the middling fetch quests and other stuff. Some people love that stuff.

Don't fret,

Excellent!
The length of the dungeons have been okay so far, because it's kept me consistent with my pacing thus far. I think I've clocked 2.5 hours (give or take ten minutes) every night unintentionally. So, yeah, I haven't minded it a lot. They're just not as rewarding as past dungeons. Can't wait to see what else is coming up now!

Except for all the middling fetch quests and other stuff. Some people love that stuff.
I would say I am one of those people, but it really depends from game to game. As far as Zeldas go, I loved it a lot in Majora's Mask (and some of them in Ocarina), but I hated it in most of the other Zeldas.

aparisi2274

The one thing I don't understand with the game is how they treat the
Hylian Shield
That item has played a role in almost every Zelda game and in SS, it's nothing more than a reward for getting through
8 bosses in the Thunder Dragon God's Boss Rush challenge. Why was there not some big quest for it? Why not give some sort of backstory.
Such a waste of a classic item.

Xun

Hylian Shield
That item has played a role in almost every Zelda game and in SS, it's nothing more than a reward for getting through
8 bosses in the Thunder Dragon God's Boss Rush challenge. Why was there not some big quest for it? Why not give some sort of backstory.
It's a bit strange how you don't eventually get it in the main quest.

It's a shame really.

Hylian Shield

Why would there be an actual Hylian Shield at the time of SS if there's no Hyrule yet though?

Okay, a quick update on my thoughts before I jump back in for more.
I just wrapped up the third dungeon and did some other things-

Okay, I really liked this area. The mines were fun to explore with the little pockets of time crystal time traveling stuff. I was disappointed that it would just be another lava-ish place, but it really helped it out. THOSE FREAKING HERMIT CRABS SUCK. Oh man, those things were annoying.

The robots... So freaking adorable. They're like Yeto/Yeta shrunk down, made roboticky, and given electro arms. So cool! My favorite is definitely Scrapper (Gondo's robot). Jumping ahead a little with that, but I like that he has a bad attitude, yet he's a sucker for the ladies, haha.

I was angry that I accidentally backed out of the puzzle to open up the dungeon and Fi basically told me the answer. I mean, I already knew what to do, but the fact that they straight up tell you the answer is ridiculous. I think Fi (not so much her character, but her role) is my least favorite thing about this game. She's constantly echoing things that are obvious or were just stated, or she's annoying me to death about "hey, you should heal" "hey, there's an enemy in front of you. I could tell you stuff about it." "hey, _________." It's irritating as heck, and not in the Navi kind of way.

Temple was better than I thought it would be at first. I liked the super easy scorpion enemies and the other occupants of the temple. Combat is my second least favorite thing in the game because it feels more often that I'm fighting with the controls to swing the way I'm wanting it to, rather than just fighting the enemies. Boss fight was extremely easy. Wasn't really expecting it to be as smooth as it was after the previous boss.

The cut scene of Ghiragim fighting Impa (oh, so it was Impa. I wasn't sure) felt a little too animeish for me, but it was still pretty cool seeing Link go to try and save the day. Finally got the token music item in the game! The harp is nice and all, but it's a bummer you can't really play it like some of the past instruments. Ohhh well.

Oh, and the Gust thing item is pretty rad. It makes me feel like Luigi's Mansion had a kid with a Zelda game, haha. I immediately went to clean Pipit's mom's house after the temple, since I remembered how gross it was, but later on he was yelling at her for paying someone to do it. It really hit me hard, and I actually felt really guilty about it. It caught me off guard, which may have been why it was so impactful, but geez. I dunno, it was just sad.

On that note of Pipit... YOU HORRIBLE MAN. I'LL KILL YOU FOR STEALING MY WOMAN! JUST WAIT UNTIL NIGHT PATROL, I'M GONNA MAKE YOU PAY!
er, Cawlin gave me a note to deliver to Karane. He apparently has a thing for her, but I figured I'd give her the letter anyways. It'd just help her to see how great a choice I am instead. But, no. NO. Pipit had to get in the way of things, and now they're a couple! Dang it, all those times I slept in your bed and talked to you in the school... Did it mean nothing to you, you heartless wench! I sobbed in Groose's room with Cawlin, since we had both been rejected...

Well, it's not all bad. Kina's my new squeeze now (the daughter of the Lumpy Pumpkin owner). We made beautiful music together. With the harp. It took me like six tries, but I finally got it. : (
She must be the Malon role in this game, since I doubt I'll be seeing my favorite LonLon farmgirl in the game.

Helped out a few other people and got some stuff from Batreaux... Wondering how many things he needs to be human, but I'll find out soon enough, I suppose. Slept on Beedle's ship, and he's even weirder at night. I didn't think it was possible, but yeah. He's weeeeird.

Oh yeah, and the thing where I had to find the pinwheel was super easy, since I actually noticed it earlier in my playthrough and made a note of it. I've been keeping four separate pages out while I play. I'm marking down the pieces of heart I find, the cubes I find, the gratitude people I help, and a miscellaneous page for "go back to see what this is later/keep this in mind."

OH. OH! I don't know how I forgot. The coolest(?) boss fight in any zelda game! The imprisoned fight felt like it was taking notes from Shadow of the Colossus or something. I mean, it wasn't a particularly difficult fight, but the race against the clock and the scale of it all just really felt great. My favorite part of the game so far, probably.

Poor Groose, though. He just wants to help Zelda. You can totally have her, Groose. I've got Karane Kina in my sights. Still loving the attention to his animations. When he first arrives and plummits to the ground, I was laughing. Then I started cracking up when he was freaking out at the world around him. However, after Link talks to him and the birds are all over him... I busted out laughing like crazy. Just something about the expression and the birds got me good. Fantastic stuff. I also like that, though Link is still mute, he actually has a but more active role in "yes, I'm supposed to be talking to you right now" visually.

Opened up the light house, so I guess I should go play my song and see what awaits me next.
Can't wait to see where we go now!

sphinx

the piano man
I envy you a little bit because you are discovering the game for the first time and loving every part of it. I finished my 1st playthrough just two days ago and I have the feeling of wanting to go back to that world, being Link, discovering more places, etc. but its over and I don't feel like starting over, either. so I am here with the music of the game stuck in my head, procuring the Zelda threads that are alive and hoping that someone will share some thoughts about the game, any thoughts.

Sagitario

I envy you a little bit because you are discovering the game for the first time and loving every part of it. I finished my 1st playthrough just two days ago and I have the feeling of wanting to go back to that world, being Link, discovering more places, etc. but its over and I don't feel like starting over, either. so I am here with the music of the game stuck in my head, procuring the Zelda threads that are alive and hoping that someone will share some thoughts about the game, any thoughts.

I can understand the feeling.
I didn't want the game to end. After watching the ending, I wanted to continue playing and exploring the world.

We just have to master the art of hitting ourselves on the head with hammers until we forget those specific things we want to!

So, I am now at the start of the next (4th) dungeon...

Finally got to fly into the dome cloud thing that's been hogging a third of the map all of this time! I'm surprised how empty it was, and it wasn't fun being greeted by those freaky centipede/dragonfly things. Sheesh, those were disturbing, and the noises they made were even creepier. I got the heck out of dodge as fast as possible, haha.

Really liked the montage/song for Farore's Courage song thing. It was a nice little montage that actually felt really right for it. However, I'm pretty sure that Fi singing is the most unnerving thing I've ever seen in a Zelda game. She already looks like a mannequin, but that expression... The horror... The horror...

Helped out the guy on Fun Fun Island get his disc back (once again, easy because I saw it earlier). I managed to snag the piece of heart on my second or third try, but then I tried to get more money to buy the piece of heart from Beedle... And I wasted around 200 rupees and ended up leaving before I gave myself a stroke. Got enough eventually, but man. That guy made me want to punch the tv just because of his smug clown face. lol

The first sequence that I wasn't wild about was the "collect the 15 tears!" part. It isn't terrible, but it's not exactly a fun way of going about opening up the next area. I guess it won't be terrible, but I just didn't enjoy it much. No, I'm not just saying that because one of the Poe things found me before I could grab the last two. I promise.

The lake! Water dragon! AWESOME! Wait. Water? NOOOOOO! WATER TEMPLE!
I should have known it'd show up sooner or later. I'm not that much of a water temple hater, but it's generally the lowest on my ladder for any given dungeon in a zelda game. I was really surprised to see the water dragon queen so small, but after the (tedious) back tracking mission for some water, she met my original expectations well. Man, she's freaking huge! I'm glad I didn't make her angry when I showed up.

Saved right at the start of the temple, and I'll get to it soon enough. I think I clocked in just under 9 hours today on it. That's pretty uncommon for me. I may have pulled that once when I was in the midst of my Persona4 run recently, but I haven't done an all-day gaming session in a long time. I think pushing 3 hours is usually a lot, and 2 is my sweet spot. It felt good to just spend a day indulging a love for Zelda I hadn't felt so strong since Majora's Mask back in 2000. : )

Anth0ny

I can understand the feeling.
I didn't want the game to end. After watching the ending, I wanted to continue playing and exploring the world.

In the other Zelda games, you actually did!
Since, you know, there was actually an chock full of things to explore. SS was pretty linear... not much more to find after finishing the game.

I am looking forward to my Hero mode run, with fast scrolling text ^_^

daedalius

Am I seriously back inside of a dungeon I already cleared to get water from the boss room?

I am about to turn this game off and never play it again.

Myriadis

The lake! Water dragon! AWESOME! Wait. Water? NOOOOOO! WATER TEMPLE!
I should have known it'd show up sooner or later. I'm not that much of a water temple hater, but it's generally the lowest on my ladder for any given dungeon in a zelda game. I was really surprised to see the water dragon queen so small, but after the (tedious) back tracking mission for some water, she met my original expectations well. Man, she's freaking huge! I'm glad I didn't make her angry when I showed up.

It's not completely a Water Temple (but close enough, we can still call it that) and with this Temple Nintendo somehow managed to make a Water Temple entertaining.

clemenx

Banned
I was gonna buy OOT 3D today but decided to get this game and a Wiimote+ since I've replayed OOT like a million times :D

This better don't disappoint >.< I didn't really have a new remote in my budget. I know this isn't the thread but since I haven't paid my Wii much attention :( Any other games that have great use of the motion+?

Am I seriously back inside of a dungeon I already cleared to get water from the boss room?
I am about to turn this game off and never play it again.
I agree, it was rather lame, but the next dungeon makes up for it.

It's not completely a Water Temple (but close enough, we can still call it that) and with this Temple Nintendo somehow managed to make a Water Temple entertaining.
It was better than expected, for sure. : )

So, beat the fourth dungeon now-
I liked that this water temple didn't mess with the "okay, raise the water to this level, now lower it again, raise it more" thing that most seem to get hung up on. I really loved the deviation it took with the "go get the boss key under the floor" sub area. I don't recall ever seeing such a radical shift in tone with any zelda dungeon like that before.

I like the whip alright, but I can't tell you how disappointed I was that it wasn't the hook shot, haha. I've been wanting it so badly, since everything still on my "go check out _______" list involves using it. It was the water temple, it's supposed to have the hookshot! AUGH! Still, the whip is easy enough to use, and it was fun in the boss fight-

Boss fight was pretty awesome. I'm getting tired of Ghirahim just leaving immediately, but whatever. It was fairly easy to figure out the gist of things as the battle went on, but I felt dumb for taking so long to realize I could run around with the big sword. I just assumed it would make me walk slowly, so I would dodge roll away from an attack, pick up the sword, and then try to retaliate. Once I realized I could run, it was a breeze.

Fi and I returned to Skyloft before heading to the Isle of Songs, and it turns out the item check lady has a thing for me. I went ahead and played along with it, because why the heck not? NOBODY ELSE SEEMS TO RETURN MY LOVE IN THIS GAME. I hope Zelda won't be angry at me for confessing my love to Peatrice...

Oh, on that note, Karane just dug the dagger deeper into my wounded heart when I spoke to her and she said "You look like you're getting more handsome by the day. Like a really reliable sort of guy." FRIEND ZONED FOREVER. The sadness was palpable.

The new song at Skyloft was pretty nice. I really hate that you can't just bust them out whenever you please, but such is life... I made my way down to where the save closest to the next trial for Lanayru is, and I'm about to jump back in.

It feels like the end is getting closer much faster than I imagined it would be. Maybe it isn't, and that's just my gut telling me wrong, but it feels like I'm getting close to making the final laps. : (

daedalius

oh come on, it doesn't take that long. that's a very, very short dungeon.

Just one more thing in a litany of annoyances.

I've also come to the conclusion that the last Zelda with decent combat was windwaker, get rid of this waggle garbage.

Wait what? I'm not a huge fan of the motion controls (it's better than TP's actual waggle controls, come on), but Wind Waker was basically "wait for the prompt, press A to counterattack". There was no thought or strategy behind it.

I guess you're right, there hasn't ever been good combat in Zelda I guess. But still, would rather have it be timing based than waggle/garbage based.

Just one more thing in a litany of annoyances.

I've also come to the conclusion that the last Zelda with decent combat was windwaker, get rid of this waggle garbage.

Wait what? I'm not a huge fan of the motion controls (it's better than TP's actual waggle controls, come on), but Wind Waker was basically "wait for the prompt, press A to counterattack". There was no thought or strategy behind it.

Anony

about the master shield...
are you fucking kidding me, you have to win EIGHT battles in a row to get it
FUCK THAT SHIT
who the fuck at nintendo thought that was a good idea

_Isaac

about the master shield...
are you fucking kidding me, you have to win EIGHT battles in a row to get it
FUCK THAT SHIT
who the fuck at nintendo thought that was a good idea

It's a great idea. You get a nice reward for doing all that. It's also not tough at all.

Anth0ny

I guess you're right, there hasn't ever been good combat in Zelda I guess. But still, would rather have it be timing based than waggle/garbage based.

Zelda 2!

Next step: rip off Dark Souls.

No, it's not. It's an optional boss rush mode. How can that be padding?

It's not exactly padding, but they couldn't think of a more creative way for the player to get the freaking Hylian Shield? Rehashing boss battles. Nice.

_Isaac

Zelda 2!

Next step: rip off Dark Souls.

It's not exactly padding, but they couldn't think of a more creative way for the player to get the freaking Hylian Shield? Rehashing boss battles. Nice.

It's the best side quest in the whole game, and it's great having a boss rush mode anyway.

Sagitario

... and it's great having a boss rush mode anyway.

Indeed.
I have wanted a boss rush mode in Zelda since I finished Majora's Mask as a kid.
I was so glad that ST and SS had one.

Optional buss rush mode are always welcome in all games [did you hear that, Kamiya? OPTIONAL!]

If your best side quest is "do all this stuff again BUT RIGHT AFTER EACH OTHER" something is wrong.

It's boss rush mode, what did you expect?

sphinx

the piano man
the whole SS hate reminds me of the WW launch hate (WAHH! WAHH!! Triforce shard hunting! Wah! Wah!!) and the TP launch hate (WAH!! WAH!! No soul! not charming! WAH! WAH!)

I just hope the bigger part of the Zelda fanbase look back at this game with lots of LTTP threads and happy memories.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I agree that it says something bad about the quality of the sidequests here, but truthfully the sidequests were indeed lame.

That's kind of true I think. But it seems to me with Skyward Sword that a lot of the things that you'd normally get in a Zelda game as sidequests have been incorporated into the main plot. That's not what suits everybody of course, so those that plough headlong for the exit find their way blocked by 'padding' while those who revel in delaying the inevitable find a dearth of distractions.

Myself, I prefer a short adventure with a lot of optional side-stuff rather than the other way round, but I've enjoyed SS nevertheless - just had to take it a bit slower at times when it threw in something I wasn't expecting.

daedalius

the whole SS hate reminds me of the WW launch hate (WAHH! WAHH!! Triforce shard hunting! Wah! Wah!!) and the TP launch hate (WAH!! WAH!! No soul! not charming! WAH! WAH!)

I just hope the bigger part of the Zelda fanbase look back at this game with lots of LTTP threads and happy memories.

Well I have every Zelda that has existed on console (and the for one GB original), but I have to say, I didn't enjoy the triforce shard hunting at all, but the game around it was pretty excellent overall. I also didn't enjoy the wolf parts in TP, but I still enjoyed the rest of the game.

There isn't a whole lot about SS that I enjoy as much as previous iterations. I personally wouldn't mind if they did another top-down Link to the Past esque version, if I didn't dislike mobile gaming so much, I'm sure I would enjoy some of the recent releases.

Uh except those are valid complaints, as are many of the complaints in this thread.

Grow up, kid.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

I'm on your side fella.

daedalius

Hey I got the bow, now I never have to swordfight anything again.

Lol really the bow draws to full strength instantly if you use the shit motion control with the nunchuck, but you have to wait for it to charge if you just hit A.

Fuck you nintendo, fuck you.

Also,
squid
boss... I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I have a question about the Thunder Dragon.

What was that big chain around him in the present time? Where did that even come from? Did Demise's cronies just shackle him up when he was sick, because they're jerks?

Shiggy

There is no "waggle garbage" in SS combat. You're thinking of TP Wii.

Isn't the final boss a pure waggle challenge in the first stage? Waggle, jump back, target boss, walk left until he attacks, waggle, jump back, target boss, walk left until he attacks

daedalius

There is no "waggle garbage" in SS combat. You're thinking of TP Wii.

No. I actually didn't mind snapping my wrist to attack in TP, or the fact that aimed items used pointer controls. If I played it again, I'd probably use a controller though; but I'd miss the pointer aiming of the bow/hookshot at least.

I really dislike this imprecise combat model they have now, thus "waggle garbage". Everything uses said "waggle garbage" as well, there isn't a single thing that uses pointer controls. The motion+ does not have the fidelity it needs for what it is trying to accomplish, it only takes me out of the experience with what it tries to do. Having to recenter constantly does not make things fun. Having my sword swing the opposite way of how I want to swing sometimes does not make things fun (oh wait, operator error derp).

To be exact, it's either operator error or a malfunctioning controller. Unless you think think everyone who says that the controls work perfectly are all conspiring against you.

I'm not saying it is always fucked up, I am just saying I don't like the direction they've taken with the control scheme at all. I don't like the fact that when you pull out the bow, wherever you happen to be pointing at that moment is your 'center'. I think it is working well enough, but I think anyone that says the controls are 'perfect' are out of their minds, or are nintendo apologists, or something. I'd say anyone who thinks the controls are perfect hasn't played a game with good controls recently.

No. I actually didn't mind snapping my wrist to attack in TP, or the fact that aimed items used pointer controls. If I played it again, I'd probably use a controller though; but I'd miss the pointer aiming of the bow/hookshot at least.

I really dislike this imprecise combat model they have now, thus "waggle garbage". Everything uses said "waggle garbage" as well, there isn't a single thing that uses pointer controls. The motion+ does not have the fidelity it needs for what it is trying to accomplish, it only takes me out of the experience with what it tries to do. Having to recenter constantly does not make things fun. Having my sword swing the opposite way of how I want to swing sometimes does not make things fun (oh wait, operator error derp).

To be exact, it's either operator error or a malfunctioning controller. Unless you think think everyone who says that the controls work perfectly are all conspiring against you.

Shiggy

He might play the game in one of those rooms/houses that have windows through which sunlight may come in. As the Wii Remote loves to re-center to sunlight, and that's a huge problem in a game like Skyward Sword, we can probably call it wonky technology/controls.

I wasn't as keen on the motion controls as others, but they aren't "waggle" by definition, and they're certainly precise enough that someone should be able to complete the game fairly easily without any major issues. At least I did.

daedalius

I wasn't as keen on the motion controls as others, but they aren't "waggle" by definition, and they're certainly precise enough that someone should be able to complete the game fairly easily without any major issues. At least I did.

I guess I should be more specific about the derisive names I am using for a control scheme that I find intolerable. Swinging my arms around at all = waggle = shit I don't like.

If the next game has anything like this, I'll take my leave from a franchise I've played since the original nintendo days.

Also the visual style of everything except maybe the environments make me /smh (squidboss)... hopefully their tech-demo is indicative of what they plan for future Zelda.

It is. So you can say goodbye to console Zeldas now.

Sigh, too bad.

Dr.Hadji

Uh except those are valid complaints, as are many of the complaints in this thread.

Grow up, kid.

Only two buttons for items, Oppressive time limits, only 4 dungeons, Empty Ocean, Triforce Quests, Empty Overworld, Lacks charm are all valid complaints as well. People gona hate. The point is, those complaints don't dominate the discussion of those games anymore. Heck, the amount of good will Majora's Mask has mustered over the years since its release is mind boggling to me. I was there when it released, that game was completely in the shadow of OOT. Now its "best Zelda, best Nintendo game, best GAME". Where were you people all these years? I wasted so much time on IGN boards defending that game.

If the next game has anything like this, I'll take my leave from a franchise I've played since the original nintendo days.

It is. So you can say goodbye to console Zeldas now.

Top Bottom